• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

Yeah, I've had my tea now and I feel a lot calmer and less hyper.

The Kava I have got is pure 40% root extract directly from Fiji, that's why I'm not concerned about my liver.

Thanks for the warning though :)

kava kava is great!! I hapend to get a o ounce of fresh kava powder from a buddy that bought some with his cc online.
This is by far the best brew i've made. numbs my entire mouth and throat every time I sip. I feel a nice warm and relaxed feeling. the closest thing that i can compare it with a high dose of clonazepam. I still have a good bit left, going to just make bowls at a time. What's cool about kava is that it doesn't show up in a drug test, and it won't fuck you up like a lot of the other things out there.

I was in Fiji once, sitting around a table on the beach with a load of fijians, drinking this stuff, clapping my hands and shouting "Bula!"

Was quite an experience. Then I gave the equivilent of $5 to some guy who rode off on a horse and came back with about 2oz weed!

Fiji is an awesome place to check out!

I tried this is a couple different ways and never felt anything at all... I read so much on it that I was kinda mad and took like 40 caps of "30%" ones in a day. I didn't puke or feel anything. It was from a reputable site too...

Am I looking for something that is mostly placebo? As in camomile tea... Or am I looking for something that I can actually feel like kratom?

You can definitelely feel kava. It's intoxicating. Anti-anxiety, like alcohol, but the head space is more similiar to weed. You can even get the spins from too much kava.

I've tried mainly pill-extracts available at most megamarts (in the "nutritrion/organic" section) or powdered kava from the asian market. Both ways feel mostly the same.

Haven't tried any internet vendors yet. You'll "feel it like Kratom" but it won't feel like kratom.

I remember when they pulled it off the shelves at chain drugstores they say its real bad for the liver and a few people dies from liver failure but i still take it with benzos the higher the kavalactones% the better

yes, kava causes liver damage with chronic high dosing. possibly even with just high doses, or chronic doses.

I want to try to figure out doses going by mg of kavalactones.. but that only works if the analysis is correct. So I also will eventually try to figure out dose going by mg of raw material consumed as is. I think that'll be more reliable than a water extract, which depends on your patience and lab skills.

I'm betting the dose is weight dependant.

Subjectively, the closest thing I'd compare kava to is a low dose of ambien. But way way less sedation. It feels more like ambien than benzos or booze.

Kava is great stuff! But most of the kava products out there are too weak and aren't worth your money. Most advise to buy the powdered root and make tea with a method such as this one. I've read the powdered root from Vanuatu is the strongest. So far I've only used a tincture, "Gaia Herbs" brand. Get the "Professional Strength" if you want the strongest available, I looked around online and couldn't find any tincture stronger than this stuff. It has 150 mg/mL kavalactones. It says 10 drops contains about 50 mg kavalactones, if you want to really feel it try to dose about 1000 mg :) I fill up a shot glass with warm water and then squirt a few full droppers of the stuff in there. I actually don't mind the taste, a lot easier to down than a lot of alcoholic beverages I've had.

The Gaia Herbs tincture: (just a product info page from the manufacturer)
http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=160

Oh, and it goes great with weed as others have noticed. Especially useful if you're prone to anxiety and paranoia while high.
A combo I really want to try is hydrocodone+weed+kava. I think it will be just about perfect.

Last edited:
^You should take out the source in your post. We can't have sources on blue light. Brand name is probably okay though.

Kava and weed is indeed pleasant. It's nice, and safe for me, on the comedown to 2CE, DXM, methamphetamine, and MDPV. And that's all the combinations I've tried with it.

Hello Kava users! I thought I'd wake up this forum.

I just got some kava root powder from a spiritual supply store in town(awesome store by the way) I'm not sure how fresh it is, but it is the powder form. I've tried kava a few other times, but it was always pieces of root that were shredded. Those never had any effect on me, so maybe it was just the vendor.

I'm looking forward to giving this stuff another go, cause it sound like it would be very enjoyable. But I've had a very stressful few days. I just got done studying for and taking a major Praxis exam for graduate school. I'm still pretty wired from the test, so I really need a good chill out.

I will be sure to update after I make the tea!

The capsule with 30 percent Kavalactones, How many should I take to feel the full effect of it?I took the recommended dose and nothing...:\

Guys stay away from kava tinctures and pills. There is no substitute for the fresh stuff. Search around there are many good vendors. I order from one in Boca Raton Florida. Don't forget the rule 1 cup root, 2 cup water, one tbsp oil.

Last edited:
So, the whole liver problem things with Kava was actually found out to be mainly a chemical from the bark, leaves and twigs....

Here's a new story about it in chemical and engineering news:
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/83/8346kava.html

So, extracts are more dangerous, as they often use leaves and twigs and stuff in there.

Best to go with ONLY root powder. I get capsules of whole lateral root powder that hasn't been processed with anything nasty.

this sounds way too good to be true... I'm tempted to go out and try it though!

Would anyone happen to know if the effects of Kava would be blocked by Subutex (buprenorphine)?

(I've tried to search and have had no luck, every post or webpage I find is about quitting opiates)

suboxone, you from the city??

Anyway, I was kind of wondering the same thing, if it worked on some of the same receptors that opiates work on, then would subs block them?

I very much doubt that it would. Opiate and GABA receptors are completely different as far as I know. Anyone with a source feel free to contradict me.

I just mixed some kava in with my banana protein shake and drank it down, kava and all...not bad, actually. I'm one of those who can't stand the taste. (It was still an effort to get down).

Does anyone know if kava is similar to alcohol in its effect on fat metabolism? I'm trying to get myself a little more ripped for summer, that's all.

Hopefully this helps me get through my temporary benzo shortage...

Kava is great stuff! But most of the kava products out there are too weak and aren't worth your money. Most advise to buy the powdered root and make tea with a method such as this one. I've read the powdered root from Vanuatu is the strongest. So far I've only used a tincture, "Gaia Herbs" brand. Get the "Professional Strength" if you want the strongest available, I looked around online and couldn't find any tincture stronger than this stuff. It has 150 mg/mL kavalactones. It says 10 drops contains about 50 mg kavalactones, if you want to really feel it try to dose about 1000 mg :) I fill up a shot glass with warm water and then squirt a few full droppers of the stuff in there. I actually don't mind the taste, a lot easier to down than a lot of alcoholic beverages I've had.

The Gaia Herbs tincture: (just a product info page from the manufacturer)
http://www.gaiaherbs.com/product.php?id=160

Oh, and it goes great with weed as others have noticed. Especially useful if you're prone to anxiety and paranoia while high.
A combo I really want to try is hydrocodone+weed+kava. I think it will be just about perfect.

Gaia Herbs has a nice extract in pill form as well. Nothing compared to a cup of the fresh stuff though.

Well as far as whether or not kava works while in suboxone, i will let you know in a few days, i would imagine it will.(also going to try kratom on subs) I just got 2 ozs of kava root from a local herb shop.

The way i take my kava is simply chew the ground root,(between cheek and gum) for 10-15 mins,then spit it out, and I find 2-5 grams or even less (5 grams will floor me and i am far from a novice with drugs with a 10+ year opiate habit) using this method will produce very nice effects rather than using 15-30 grams making a tea for subtle effects at best,or eating half a bottle of pills with no effect. there is something in saliva that seems to activate the kavalactones or majorly increase the bioavailability. So, try this method of just chewing the raw root like chewing tobacco, and i assure you, you will have a whole new outlook on kava kava. The effects i normally feel from kava are good relaxation, a nice body buzz and slight mood elevation. I would say its more like soma than an opiate or a benzo, but to me more enjoyable than soma.

I tried this method after reading about how it was traditionally prepared, ie. having the virgins in the tribe chew (masticate) the root and spit it into a bowl for consumption. after many disappointing experiments with kava i found this method to be far and away the most effective. with that said kava is what it is, its kava, if you are expecting it to feel like heroin you are going to be let down.

Last edited:
So I bought a kava powder sampler pack. Came wit Fiji venuatu n papa new guinea. So far I'd say Fiji is very strong. After realizing u gotta squeeze n massage the kava that's in the strainer bag I had about 4-6 tablespoons the first time I used the massage technique and it had me nauseous but very drunk/high feeling. It wasn't like any other high I've experienced. It was similar to several at once. Very enjoyable but had me tired hungover feeling an hr later. I recommend Fiji blend was my best experience tho the nausea sucked (due to too high a dose). Very surprising after trying the capsules tea n powder without squeezing n massaging while in cold water.