• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Do Adderall and ritalin have a cross tolerance?

graffmatic730

Bluelighter
Im currently on 90mg of adderall a day and its not working much anymore. If i get switched to ritalin will i feel the effects like i havent been on adderall or will my adderall tolerance cross with ritalins? thanks. peace

http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/20020425/msgs/104479.html This is an interesting article that talks briefly about the differences between Ritalin and Adderall (absorption, onset, etc.)

Ritalin & Cocaine are kind of like the SSRIs of dopamine, in that they mainly inhibit or block the reuptake of dopamine & to a lesser extent norepinephrine in a dose related manner.

Amphetamine is primarly a dopamine/norepinephrine RELEASER of stored or newly synthesized dopamine & norepinephrine & a bit of serotonin especially at high doses, although at higher doses it also inhibits the reputake of dopamine & norepinephrine (but not as much as methylphenidate or cocaine).

I am just guessing that the mechanism of action for Ritalin vs. Adderall would be important to cross-tolerance issues.

In my experience, I have abused both and there was definitely a cross tolerance... methylphenidate usually gives me intense euphoria but after abusing dexedrine for a while, sadly when I did ritalin again, it did barely anything to my disappointment. I definitely felt "speedier" maybe more awake, but definitely next to no high or 'euphoria'.

Well I've been on 90mg ritalin/day and i can verify there's a definate cross tolerance issue with methylphenidate and amphetamine.

I think they do. From what I remember... Haven't fucked with either since high school.

I'm prescribed 60mg Adderall/daily and on occasion I will switch to Dexedrine, Desoxyn or to a methylphenidate product so that my tolerance would decrease for just a little while. They do have cross tolerance but when switching I found my tolerance would decrease though not for that much of time.

Yes, they are okay with switching. If you tell them that current medication that you are taking doesn't work than they will switch you to something else (or either increase the dose)

amphetamines, ritalin, and cocaine all have cross tolerance. they all downregulate dopamine receptors, which is what leads to tolerance of stimulants like amphetamine, ritalin, cocaine, etc.

Dont understand the sudden surge in responses to a year old thread, but w/e, my two cents worth is this - i was put on ritalin at a young age(5).. through the years they put me on dexedrine, dexostrat, methylphenidate, adderrall, and dextroamphetamine(some of which are brands vs generics) but the point is that over a ten year period they kept switching me for the purposes of killing my tolerance, which worked.. for about a week or two! I have a tolerance to amphetamines that wouldve killed a horse when I quit at 15, which led to hallucinations in my dreams for a week after, which was hell, and an experience i wouldn't like to replicate, but I do believe thats got something to do with why the best hallucinogens on earth dont give me visuals nowadays, I dont care what you have, less its peyote, i wont try that shit, give me 5meodmt any day tho... poor me! owell, again, just my two cents'!