View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tried Tryptophan + Methionine + MAOI combo & Got Good Results

kindalikeyou

Greenlighter
I studied, and studied on the combo mentioned here:http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?p=3993051 and elsewhere.

I took 500mg of l-tryptophan + 500mg of l-methionine + half oz of passionflower extract + (b6 + b12 + folic acid to help with synthesis) I added 20mg of melatonin, because I heard it could help out.

After about 30 minutes after ingesting the effects felt like salvia until i fell asleep. I tripped in my sleep often waking up. The next day my mind seem clearer.

Am I the only one who actually tried it? I have pics of all the supplements grouped together. Very expensive when bought at once.

Need more resources on this combo? Just let me know.

Last edited:
hmmm, using amino acids and MAOI to trip eh?

Maybe give more description of the effects.

The effects are really really hard to explain. Sedative Shrooms with a dash of salvia would be the best description.

Is the methionine supposed to dimethylate the tryptophan?

If I leave out the passionflower I wonder will it work?

I'll clear up, and try again.

Will what work? :)

The theory is that stuff like tryptophan is converted to serotonin but there is actually very little scientific evidence to support this, probably it works but not extremely significantly. But if you add a MAOI the synthesized serotonin is much less broken down which accounts for the good results. But too much serotonin can be bad for you and it might be easy to get very counterproductive effects.

Methionine and folic acid can help you supplement your folic acid levels, if they should be low it can account for symptoms of depression but initially it's hard to know if that is so in your case. This goes for a lot of supplementation, it's just as possible that you simply don't need it.

If you leave out the passionflower which is a pretty mild MAOI by the way, you're back to less (or not) dangerous territory but the question remains if this is at all useful for you. Just testing it sounds like an all right idea, if nothing else you'll get a nice placebo effect.

So: it all may work to benefit your health more or less but without a MAOI there is no tryptophan conversion potentiation left to 'work'.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get some DMT and take it with a MAOI?

Yeah, DMT can help with depression - ketamine is known to alleviate depression pretty acutely...

but it's not really relevant is it? If you ask me, this is more about alleviating depression using food supplements combined with MAOIs - as such not causing (much) psychoactive effects.
Well, passionflower has only very subtle effects, let's not start counting that.

Actually, you made me realize this doesn't seem to belong in PD ?
Oh well. :)

I think the idea was that methionine as a methylating agent would dimethylate the trpytophan (before/after it metabolizes to tryptamine?) and the MAOI would make the resulting DMT orally active.

Interesting idea, but pretty far-fetched. Methionine might be a methylating agent but having it DI-methylate a metabolite of tryptophan sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
Why would you need the tryptophan if there is already tryptamine in your body?

If there is any evidence or personal experience to support the idea that DMT is made active, I'd like to hear it.
Though I have heard that simply combining 5-HTP or tryptophan with a MAOI forms other tryptamine compounds besides the simple form, but I've never heard of it being notably psychoactive - that would really be something! :D

OK call me misinformed!

Connectorsgif.gif

Still it seems like a delicate balance that is not easily induced to yield DMT in the active levels,
if there is any merit to this could it not be risky?
I'm sceptical, that's probably clear, but also very intrigued!!

Also look at this:
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/pharmacology/tryp-dmt.txt

Well, I think this is risky - I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Tihkal entry on tryptamine:

Tihkal said:
When administered with methionine (another amino-acid known to methylate things) it produces methylated tryptamines, the two best studied being N-methyltryptamine (NMT) and N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT).

this meaning tryptophan, which is in the same entry as tryptamine.

Bizarre,

even so I'd rather take a hell of a lot of tryptophan and no MAOI or normal tryptophan plus only a small dose of a weak MAOI and keep an eye on symptoms of serotonin storm or general neurochemical overdrive...
Methionine could be normal dosage.

Sorry by the way how stupid of me not to interpret right initially that the plan is to achieve psychoactive effects - I just figured tryptophan + MAOI must be to increase neurotransmitter levels for wellbeing, that was what I was aware of.

Could you describe the effects and intensity and possible side-effects you noticed?

Anyone else test this?.

Solispsis, why not just try it. If it works it works. This is the brain and chemicals we're talking here....

Its possible, most likely to somehow play with the brains Tryptophan synthesis to convert it to Tryptamine... Yeah sure, it might not be the same as DMT, but sure that's good too because, if you want DMT then go smoke DMT and get the full experience.

Maybe, what we're onto here is this, instead of a DMT actual experience, we could get the effect to something similar to micro dosing DMT.... so its psychedelic in nature...
AND this might be even better...

lets look more into this....
trying other combinations.

Here's a huge example,
If you take L-Tyrosine (this is the same as Tryptophan step but its directed at dopamine), anyway the L-Tyrosine is also converted to tyramine....

So, if we're talking about actual Tryptamine here, we could tweak the brain slightly, and get something out of it...

This kind of thing was also mentioned in the Shulgin`s TiHKAL, L-Tryptophan + MAOI + L-Methionine= NMT +DMT
(from TiHKAL #53 - Tryptophan (15g) taken (orally) with Iproniazid (150mg, orally) gave mood elevation, increased sociability and increased extrovertism.
The combination taken with L-Methionine <dose not stated> `induced suspected DMT intoxication`*)