Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Zantac [ranitidine] + MDMA

khald

Bluelighter
Hey,

I've been reading around about Zantac interacting with MDMA, as my girlfriend has been prescribed Zantac [ranitidine]. It seems that Ranitidine does an extreme job of potentiating MDMA by inhibiting the enzyme that does most of the metabolizing of MDMA. I realize it will depend on the Ranitidine & MDMA dosage, body chemistry, etc.

All I would like to know is that would a 150mg of Ranitidine prescribed by the doctor potentiate an average dose of MDMA to a dangerous level? For what it matters, we have MDMA crystal that has tested out relatively well. I've seen two examples via Search Function about where this has happened, and I just want to know the facts before getting ourselves into trouble that, well, we can't get out of.

Thanks guys.

Ranitidine will not do 'an extreme job of potentiating' MDMA

Granted they both get metabolyzed by CYP2D6 (amongst others) but in no case should Ranitidine be considered a potentiator of MDMA

As you said it will depend on Ranitidine & MDMA dosage and body chemistery, wich makes it far too unpredictable to be safe

Wow - I didn't know this. I have acid reflux and MDMA always makes my acid reflux act up. Once on a combo of alcohol + MDMA it became so bad that instead of acid reflux I thought I was having a heart attack. We rushed to the emergency room and I went through x-rays, blood tests, EKG and the whole nine yards. It turns out the acid had done a real number on my esophagus and it took days and days of heavy duty antacids and bland food to bring it under control. (Try coming down in an emergency ward with someone literally in the process of dying in the bed next to you - it really isn't something you ever want to repeat).

Since then (years) I've always used Zantac together with MDMA and never had any more acid reflux problems, but seems like that's not such a good idea after all.

Good that I read this because I was considering Ranitidine as stomache protection for MDMA, methylone or recreational (dex)amphetamine use. Right now I have never done dexamph / dexedrine recreationally, only supplementally / medicinally.

But I got this ranitidine from a buddy of mine who has pretty hardcore ADD and he gets a lot of dex perscribed. He also gets ranitidine to protect his stomache from all the dex and he gave some of both to me.

How about omeprazol then?

Some things to consider:

• Much MDMA is excreted unchanged - it doesn't always need enzymes to be broken down
  • Cimetidine is generally a more potent inhibitor than ranitidine (also a closely related antacid)
  • All antacids do increase the absorption speed of MDMA by reducing acidity in the stomach, which makes it slightly stronger

I've been doing some reading about this. It seems that cimetidine and ranitidine primarily inhibit CYP2D6 [1] (others are only ~25% inhibited), MDMA also inhibits this enzyme strongly enough that the body basically stops using CYP2D5 to metabolise it. [2]. We know that people with naturally low CYP2D6 levels do not have a problem metabolising MDMA.[3]

CYP3A4 is also important for MDMA metabolism but cimetidine only inhibits this by about 10%[1], and ranitidine is likely to have less of an effect.

There are also other enzymes which break down MDMA, and these are not affected by cimetidine/ranitidine.

So overall it seems like the big thing to watch out for here is the possibility of a faster absorption increasing the strength somewhat. Don't start with a full dose (that's good advice generally to be honest).

Well you could also drink your own urine after taking MDMA as most of it comes out unchanged...