• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Butalbital (the barbiturate in Fioricet) Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

tablehead

Bluelighter
I always wondered what fioricet is like at recreational doses. I have a friend who is prescribed them for headaches and would willingly give me some to munch on. Soo i was wondering what the high is like and if its even worth it??

Ive heard they are like benzos but i have also heard they give wayy more euphoria. But then again that person might have been talkin bout the big gun barbituates... I dont remember.

I searched and found no answer.

So gimme loads of input=D

I'm not really sure what a recreational dose of butalbital is considered...i've always considered it one of the less fun barbs (versus sodium barbital and secobarbital, the other ones i've tried ya know?) but I've definitely popped a few fioricet on occasion.

Zero euphoria, some lethargy, but all in all I was kind of bored most of the time I was on them. Not even watching CNN and thinking about the liberal run media cheered me up. Maybe I always popped them in the wrong state of mind (as in, during opiate withdrawal with the hopes of getting some sleep), but I was underwhelmed at worst, and just moderately whelmed at best with fioricet.

You have to take a lot of butalbital to catch a barb buzz. When you do it just impairs you like alcohol, no "incredible euphoria" like you are hoping for. Be careful as it contains APAP, so don't take too much of a drug that's not really worth it.

They gave it to my daughter when she had her tonsils out. She lost a fair amount of coordination, looked pretty relaxed, and generally "out of it".

Fioricet is useless if you ask me...I was prescribed them for headaches. They make me feel really...strange, I can't explain it. But it's far from pleasant...and when I took over the recommended dose, in an attempt to get high off of them...I had the same "I feel relaxed and tired but thanks to the caffeine my legs keep moving everytime I try to fall asleep" thing going on. I tried to give them away and none of my druggie friends even wanted them --- so IMO, fioricet = total crap, and really don't help out migraines too much at all either.

I know this is an old thread but I happened across it and the misinformation, or should I say, incomplete information bothered me. So this is my understanding, FTR (for the record).

From what I understand about Butalbital (contained in fioricet, fiorinal, etc.) and my experiences with it ... I find it pretty enjoyable. This is coming from a guy who was taking multiple OxyContin 20s and oxycodone 10/325s a day before I got clean using Suboxone (suboxone/naloxone).

The two highs are nothing alike, because butalbital is sort of like an older-generation benzodiazepine (think alprazolam, lorazepam, clonazepam). Butalbital (from hereon called butal) is part of a class of drugs known as barbiturates, which were popular in the 60s and early 70s but are rarely prescribed anymore except by older docs and for special purposes (mainly tension headaches in the case of Fioricet) because they've been replaced by the newer-class benzos and z-class (zaleplon, zolpidem, and zopiclone) drugs (z-class drugs are actually in different class than bezos). OxyContin (time-released oxycodone without the APAP (search APAP if you don't know what I'm talking about)) is an opiate analgesic.

For a new-b, about 3 butalbitals is the place to start for recreation. Be aware, though, that butal is often paired with either acetaminophen or aspirin (and sometimes even codeine) so the common cautions with APAP (paracetamol) apply and an extraction method is needed if your getting above the 1.3 gram (at once) range (unless you're doing these daily and then 1.3 grams (at once) daily isn't even really safe when it comes to APAP (again search APAP for more info)). One Fioricet, for example, contains 50 mg butalbital, 325 mgs of APAP in the form of acetaminophen and 40 mgs of caffiene.

If you do take opiates, be aware a synergistic effect exists between drugs in the opiate class and barbiturates. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but be aware because the combination can cause respiratory depression.

Anywho. For me (in my subjective opinion) butal can cause intense body highs and benzo-type feeling. I often hear people say it's like being drunk but that is not entirely correct. The term "wallbangers" were applied to barbiturates by older barb-users "back in the day" for this reason.

Unlike benzos, however, my memory isn't affected as badly by butal and I always remember my entire care-free experiences. I experience an intense body-buzz. Because of the caffeine I am often energized throughout the experience and can complete a number of tasks like cleaning, etc. IMO butal is certainly worth trying at least once or twice and should not be written off entirely just because a few people don't get anything out of it (who knows if they even took enough or if they didn't have high tolerances to stronger barbs).

As an interesting aside I would note that while butalbital is listed as a Schedule III drug under the United States Controlled Substances Act, when it is compounded with APAP and caffeine that status is eliminated. Fioricet, for example, is not considered a controlled substance. Fiorinal (which traditionally in the U.S. contains aspirin in place of acetaminophen) is, however, scheduled. Some formulations in the U.S. contain codeine as an additional ingredient in the butalbital, acetaminophen and caffeine mix or butalbital, aspirin and caffeine mix.

For those worried about caffeine making them jittery I will say that I had the same worry applied to me (for some reason I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine but could handle a barrage of narcotics). The butalbital canceled it out of me. To ease your worry, if you start with three Fioricets as I noted then you shouldn't really have to worry, as the caffeine is equivalent to the amount in a cup of coffee.

Anywho, that is my spiel on the subject of butalbital-containing products. As always, practice safety and become informed about any substance you're planning to put into your body.

p.s. My apologies to the mods, again, for digging up this old post.

Last edited:
imo worthless and at even slightly higher doses for me make me sick.... it can come with and without codiene. works for headaches but recreationally crap

You can take up to 6 pills and still be safe.
I found the high a LITTLE like Tramadol. Speedy from the caffeine and sedating from the downers.
Although recreationally it isn't much.

You have to take a lot of butalbital to catch a barb buzz. When you do it just impairs you like alcohol, no "incredible euphoria" like you are hoping for. Be careful as it contains APAP, so don't take too much of a drug that's not really worth it.

This is pretty much correct, and with barbiturates having a much slimmer safety index than benzodiazepines do. You could take 5 one day and be able to catch a nice nap and the next day you take 6 and you take a permanent nap!

In my experience a butalbital "high" is more or less similar to being drunk except you don't inherit the inebriated frame of mind which alcohol is loved for. Butalbital, the three or four times I have seriously tried to use it for something more than just zapping a headache was not anything distinctly pleasurable. Sure, it could make you trip all over yourself and struggle to walk the line, but not being able to control your body without much in the way of mental inebriation sounds more like something I would avoid if at all possible, and these couple of times I used butalbital compounds in anything more than a therapeutic amount was either to knock myself out during a particularly difficult methadone withdrawal, and the first time more as an experiment. Needless to say, I was thoroughly underwhelmed. :\

No incredible euphoria but 6 capsules will produce a nice but subtle light headed, floaty, relaxed feeling. I wouldn't pin it as a "recreational drug" but when your just looking to chill out its a worth while drug to take. It goes nicely with Soma.

No incredible euphoria but 6 capsules will produce a nice but subtle light headed, floaty, relaxed feeling. I wouldn't pin it as a "recreational drug" but when your just looking to chill out its a worth while drug to take. It goes nicely with Soma.

I'd be careful about stating a dosage in the ever ambiguous unit of "capsules" as there are a couple different preparations that I know of that contain butalbital: there is Fioricet, and there is Fiorinal. I am not sure whether or not they have a different amount of butalbital per tablet/capsule but I would still recommend if a user is going to abuse these that he find out exactly what dosages he is using and what an acceptable dosing window is.

I'd be careful about stating a dosage in the ever ambiguous unit of "capsules" as there are a couple different preparations that I know of that contain butalbital: there is Fioricet, and there is Fiorinal. I am not sure whether or not they have a different amount of butalbital per tablet/capsule but I would still recommend if a user is going to abuse these that he find out exactly what dosages he is using and what an acceptable dosing window is.

Fiorinal and Fioricet both contain the same dosage; 50mg of butalbital. Only difference is Fiorinal contains aspirin while Fioricet contains acetaminophen. Both of which shouldn't exceed 6 capsules/tablets. I wouldn't recommend dosages unless I knew the correct knowledge. I've been prescribed both drugs plenty of times in the past.

Fiorinal and Fioricet both contain the same dosage; 50mg of butalbital. Only difference is Fiorinal contains aspirin while Fioricet contains acetaminophen. Both of which shouldn't exceed 6 capsules/tablets. I wouldn't recommend dosages unless I knew the correct knowledge. I've been prescribed both drugs plenty of times in the past.

I know that both drugs have the same dose of active barbiturate; butalbital, both my mother and my father have one or the other. My mother is given Fioricet for migrains, and my dad is given Fiorinal because he has a blood platelet issue and aspirin would not be advisable for him to take due to increased bleeding risk.

I just wished to advise any person who might read this thread to exercise caution and look up what a recommended "recreational" dose would be and if in doubt to venture on the low end. I usually take about 4-8 tablets of Fioricet and will filter the acetaminophen out of a preparation of 20 tablets if I get a refill and keep the solution on hand because I mainly like to use the active ingredient when I have a migraine when I wish nothing more to curl up into a ball in a dark place and pass the fuck out.

Also, exercise caution when combining with alcohol! Barbiturates and other sedatives mixed with even a couple drinks could possibly be a fatal mistake and at very least make one hell of a raging black-out a distinct possibility.

I had no idea...

Ok...call me an idiot, but I had no idea that the medicine I use for my head aches are used to get high...and that my favorite way of using them is actually really dangerous! I started taking generic fioricet like 3 yrs ago when my migraines started. But since then I've found that they are great for making a hang-over never happen!!! Here's a little history...I take 40mg of Adderall XR each morning and 20-30mg of Dextroamphetamine 2x's a day for my narcolepsy. Well, when I'm gonna be going out for a night of partying, I always take a 30mg dose of my Dex before heading out and drinking so I don't get sleepy, and never get sloppy drunk...then around 2AM,(after drinking quite a lot) and the night is coming to an end, I take 2 of my fioricets with whatever is left of the vodka and cranberry in my hand during last call,lol...I always eat after drinking because I have a really fast metabolism, and end up feeling like shit if I dont!!!
Is taking the fioricet while drinking that harmful, even if it's only 2, and I eat a lot after???? I really hate to lose my morning after head ache prevention pill!lol

Don't mix fioricet with alcohol. I did and I ended up in the hospital for 3 days with a tube coming out of my dick. I threw up the charcoal they pumped my stomach with, and it got underneath all the tape they used to secure all my tubes, and the charcoal stained my skin for weeks. Not to mention it tastes fucking gross. I had been out drinking, probably had 5 beers total, then took 4 fioricet which was normal for me before bedtime if i really needed sleep... woke up in an ambulence 2 days later, was hospitalized for another day after that, then let go. I was off balance and uncoordinated for several days after. Fioricet is NOT worth it.

barb highs are similar to alcohol and benzos, although butalbital isn't a "good" barb and not as fun as secobarbital or phentobarbital(which is hard to find these days).

butalbital is better than phenobarbital though.

Status
Not open for further replies.