• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydrocodone + Grapefruit juice

ThaiDie4

Bluelighter
So, I've heard that grapefruit juice enhances the effects of opiates, but I've never tried this myself. I'm going to be getting some hydrocodone (Lortabs\Vics) soon, and I'd like to try taking them wth the juice. I know similar questions have been asked before (yes, I UTFSE ;) ) but I'm wondering for my specific situation..

I used to take hydrocodone (Lortabs, Vics) pretty regularly (recreational use for the most part), and I got my tolerance up to about 25-30mg to get a decent high. I've taken a month off, so I'm sure it's gone down since then.

Basically I am asking, how MUCH does grapefruit juice potientiate the opiates? I just don't want to over do it, espechally since I haven't been taking anything for awhile. What would you recommend for me, based on how much I used to take in a sitting? How much juice is good to drink along with the pills? Thanks.

Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of CYP3A4, which is a (weaker) metabolizer of hydrocodone and a (stronger) metabolizer of acetaminophen. And such, the degree to which plasma concentrations of acetaminophen increase would be much greater than the degree to which plasma levels of hydrocodone would increase. Meanning the risk of liver toxicity is actually higher. So be extra-careful, with respect to watching your APAP tally, if you seek this route of potientiation.

Sure, this is offset a bit by the fact that you'll only need about 2/3rds of the drug, as the juice does potentiate the high (and makes it more "noddy"). Drink about an hour before dosing, ~10oz. You should try and take some type of antacid too about a half hour before dosing, as the citric acid in the grapefruit juice will raise your stoamch PH, and this will help with that.

I hate to bump an old thread, but RedLeader is somewhat incorrect.

Grapefruit juice contains a substance known as "bergamottin". Bergamottin is a major inhibitor of the CYP3A4 compound, which is a MAJOR metabolizer of hydrocodone and a MINOR metabolizer of acetaminophen. (basically, redleader had it reversed). Therefore, if you get rid of the enzyme which breaks down the hydrocodone in your system, the hydrocodone will stay in your system longer.

Even so, almost all of the acetaminophen you consume will be metabolized via different enzymatic pathways.

So Basically...

Drinking grapefruit juice will NOT lower your body's acetaminophen toxicity threshold. As long as you're using less than 4-5g of acetaminophen a day, you should be absolutely fine, even with grapefruit juice.

Last edited: