Bluelight

Thread: Needle Exchange Locations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    Quote Originally Posted by dopiate View Post
    I wonder how low you could go without diminishing positive effects. Because its true, i feel higher taking 2mg a day than i did taking 4mg a day.
    The idea, I believe, is that you can go infinitely lower without diminishing effects, but this is also dependent on you losing opiate tolerance, and your body's compensatory regulation. So, I think if you stay abstinent from other mu-opioid agonists (as I have) I think you can keep going lower and lower for a long time.

I stayed at the dose I used IV for a long time before tapering too, because I was really scared it wouldn't go as well and I'd crave dope again but honestly every time I taper it's like magic that I get the same effects.

I think the next stop after 0.25mg is 0.2mg. That might be in a few weeks to months depending on how I level out here. Probably sooner versus later though.

2. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    I tried to find a NEP in Utah, one's listed on the harm reduction website, but when I drove by I didn't see it....any help?

3. Collapse Details

Well that site didn't have a couple places i go.
    The first is
    Safe Horizon Streetwork Lower East Side (the LES of Manhattan) on 33 Essex
    They're nice enough, i've brought in over 300 rigs and gotten the same back and brought in nothing and gotten as many as I want back, in addiction to the tools to get high, they also have condoms lube razors soap toothpaste toothbrushes, all your toiletries tampons whatever.
    Also there's is SWAN they will give you money in cash if you show up there with track marks and you're all strung out so they can est your for AIDS HEP C and more, if you arent' a hep cat they will then pay you $20 a week to not get hep c. They also hok you up with rigs cottons cookers bandaids everything you could ever want and a bathroom to shoot up in. As well they have coffee cocoa and milk and shit to drink... Most of the people who go there are local homeless junkies or train hopping kids coming through town but if you want to keep clean and off the streets don't go there. It's on Rivington and Stanton I think, 99 Rivington. LES

4. Collapse Details

I wished with all my heart that we could just...leave this world behind. Rise like two angels in the night and magically...disappear.
    I created a map so Bluelighters can figure out what US states have needle exchanges, and I will list how many each state (that has them) has, below the map. The only exception that I must make a note of now is that the District of Columbia is not represented on this map, but does have 1 needle exchange program (called PreventionWorks, I talked about that specific exchange earlier in the thread).

If you live in one of the grey states, I am sorry, your state does not have any needle exchange programs. If you know this to not be the truth, let me know and I will make a correction.

If you live in one of the white states, your state has at least one needle exchange. Look below to see how many it has. Note; if it says "1", there might actually be more than just 1 needle exchange program in your state. I will link the source below with cite tags, so if my source is off, then please let me know and I will make an effort to correct this/keep it up to date.

Alaska - 1
    California - 22
    Colorado - 1
    Connecticut - 6
    District of Columbia - 1
    Georgia - 1
    Hawaii - 1
    Illinois - 4
    Indiana - 1
    Kansas - 1
    Louisiana - 2
    Maine - 2
    Massachusetts - 3
    Minnesota - 3
    Missouri - 1
    New Jersey - 1
    New Mexico - 17
    New York - 9
    North Carolina - 1
    Oklahoma - 1
    Oregon - 3
    Pennsylvania - 1
    Texas - 2
    Utah - 1
    Vermont - 3
    Washington - 15
    Wisconsin - 10

[cite]http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparetable.jsp?ind=566&cat=11[/cite]

5. Collapse Details

thanks!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GbizzleMcGrizzle View Post
    Well that site didn't have a couple places i go.
    The first is
    Safe Horizon Streetwork Lower East Side (the LES of Manhattan) on 33 Essex
    They're nice enough, i've brought in over 300 rigs and gotten the same back and brought in nothing and gotten as many as I want back, in addiction to the tools to get high, they also have condoms lube razors soap toothpaste toothbrushes, all your toiletries tampons whatever.
    Also there's is SWAN they will give you money in cash if you show up there with track marks and you're all strung out so they can est your for AIDS HEP C and more, if you arent' a hep cat they will then pay you $20 a week to not get hep c. They also hok you up with rigs cottons cookers bandaids everything you could ever want and a bathroom to shoot up in. As well they have coffee cocoa and milk and shit to drink... Most of the people who go there are local homeless junkies or train hopping kids coming through town but if you want to keep clean and off the streets don't go there. It's on Rivington and Stanton I think, 99 Rivington. LES

pay you to not get hep c? haha thats crazy but hey 20 dollars a week for nothing is pretty good

7. Collapse Details

ATLANTA NEEDLE EXCHANGE

472 Paines Avenue Northwest
    Atlanta, GA 30318-6806
    (404) 817-9994
    (email) jeffmahrc@gmail.com

http://www.atlantaharmreduction.org/

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...umaw9AimMnRSdA

They provide everything needles, cotton, cookers, sterile water, ties, citric acid, absorbic acid, condoms etc. Really nice people, oh and they feed ya too! Good food on Fridays and Sundays, like home cooked meals, Fried chicken, mac n cheese, black eyed peas, pork chops etc. Every other day they have coffee and donuts and such and they even will give you 2 cigarettes a day. The lady who runs it (Mona) will also give you a MARTA card to ride the train so you can get clean works twice a week! They will also pay you 10 bucks to come to harm reduction classes.
    Last edited by Atlien3; 19-08-2010 at 16:25.

8. Collapse Details

There's a needle exchange in Providence, RI called Community Access. I've known people who've gone there, and they've said it's a good place. Here's the info from their listing on harmreduction.org

369 Broad Street
    Providence, RI 02909

Contact Information
    Name: Michelle McKenzie
    Email: mmckenzie@lifespan.org
    Phone: (401) 793-4790 or (401) 4

Program Information
    Services Offered: Sterile Syringe Access. Naloxone. HIV Testing. Drop-in Clothing Center.
    Hours Mon to Fri: 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-5:00 (testing is only mon through thur)
    Fees: FREE

9. Collapse Details

I saw a chart posted here and in AZ it said there's no requirement for syringes. Is this still true? I've never seen them at any pharmacy, are they behind the counter? Someone said Walgreens. Anyone in AZ know in 2010 if you can get syringes at pharmacy w/o scrip?

10. Collapse Details

Oh and Captain.Heroin there are two needles exchange places in AZ. They're both in Tucson.

11. Collapse Details

urrrrg. I live in Detroit and for all of the damn dope in this city you would think we would have a needle exchange. I don't like having to constantly go to pharmacies to pick up new works. It would be nice if they were provided for people like me. Does anyone know of a mail-in needle exchange? I have heard of one but the only one in Michigan has a website that doesn't work for some reason. :/ Anyone got any ideas I would totally appreciate it if you PMed me!! Thanks!

12. Collapse Details

Isnt it legal in the states that don't have needle exchanges to get them legally at the pharmacy if not that sucks you could always go to a hay and feed store but they are pretty big dog needles. (i've had too) Some states idont know about any other places But Calif. is haveing funding issues for these needle exchanges ....I mean shit they give yo uso much doubles of gear that costs them and why not take donations or let yo upay for some extra points or something if it goes under i will miss it since i just started to go there...Poor arms and veins due to hay and feed needles...lol

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dntcheckthtbxdoc View Post
    Isnt it legal in the states that don't have needle exchanges to get them legally at the pharmacy if not that sucks you could always go to a hay and feed store but they are pretty big dog needles. (i've had too) Some states idont know about any other places But Calif. is haveing funding issues for these needle exchanges ....I mean shit they give yo uso much doubles of gear that costs them and why not take donations or let yo upay for some extra points or something if it goes under i will miss it since i just started to go there...Poor arms and veins due to hay and feed needles...lol
    In Michigan we have no problem just going to the pharmacy and buy new syringes but my question has nothing to do with that. I am looking for a mail-in needle exchange in Michigan. I know there is one but I cannot seem to get the right information. Does anyone have any info???

14. Collapse Details

In my area the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin runs the LifePoint mobile needle exchange. It's a van parked at certain locations Monday through Thursday, and Fridays they make house calls to people who can't travel on Monday - Thursday (for legit reasons, not just because you don't want to). They give you 1 for 1 as far as dirty needles for clean needles, I think the most they will give out is 100 at a time though. I have never gone to them with no needles, so I don't know if they give you any to start (a couple years ago they'd give you 10 but not sure if that's changed). The gauges range from 20g to 30g. They also have cookers, tourniquets, sterile water, antibiotic cream/bandaids/rubbing alcohol, cottons, gauze, condoms/lube, pamphlets about safe IV administration and safe sex, and I have heard they will start carrying micron filters in the very near future. Here's the info.

LifePoint Needle Exchange
    820 N. Plankinton Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    (414) 273-1991

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebaby View Post
    In my area the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin runs the LifePoint mobile needle exchange. It's a van parked at certain locations Monday through Thursday, and Fridays they make house calls to people who can't travel on Monday - Thursday (for legit reasons, not just because you don't want to). They give you 1 for 1 as far as dirty needles for clean needles, I think the most they will give out is 100 at a time though. I have never gone to them with no needles, so I don't know if they give you any to start (a couple years ago they'd give you 10 but not sure if that's changed). The gauges range from 20g to 30g. They also have cookers, tourniquets, sterile water, antibiotic cream/bandaids/rubbing alcohol, cottons, gauze, condoms/lube, pamphlets about safe IV administration and safe sex, and I have heard they will start carrying micron filters in the very near future. Here's the info.

LifePoint Needle Exchange
    820 N. Plankinton Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    (414) 273-1991
    I am also in milwaukee.

They give you needles even if you don't bring any in, but if you want a large amount you gotta bring in the old ones. If you go in without you can usually get 1 or 2 starter packs which are 10 needles(either 1/2 or whole cc), cottons, 2 cookers, tourniquet, alcohol pads. Also if you watch a 15 min presentation you can get vials of naloxone which I personally witnessed save someones life about a month ago. Also you can get tested for free there.

So they are getting micron filters? that would be awesome if so, I asked a while ago and they said they didn't have any and weren't planning on it but when I asked that was like a year ago.

16. Collapse Details

Is there any sites posed at finding needle exchanges in Canada?

17. Collapse Details

NYC..the northern most borough.. Bronx BITCXH!!
    Just want to say NJ has a lot more exchanges than 1. There are 2-3 in Jersey City, 1 in newark I am sure of, maybe 2, 1 in Paterson I frequent (like christmas for a addict lool).

18. Collapse Details
    DC Residents say goodbye to Prevention Works 
    Needle
    A Statement on the Closure of PreventionWorks! from its Board of Directors
    February 8, 2011 [cite]https://sites.google.com/a/preventionworksdc.org/public-internet/[/cite]

On February 25, 2011, PreventionWorks! will close its operations after over 12 years of life‐saving services as a non‐profit organization supporting individuals struggling with drug use and interrelated social and health challenges. PreventionWorks! has been a trail‐blazing effort in the nation’s capital to offer a practical set of prevention and health promotion strategies, including access to sterile syringes, to reduce the harmful consequences of drug use while treating drug users with respect and dignity. Most notably, PreventionWorks! has played an invaluable role in the prevention of HIV transmission, undoubtedly saving thousands of lives. In 2007, over 26% of women and 18% of all people living with HIV/AIDS in the District of Columbia reported contracting the disease from injection drug use.

PreventionWorks! began in 1996 as a project of the Whitman‐Walker Clinic. In 1998, PreventionWorks! incorporated as its own organization after the U.S. Congress passed legislation forbidding the District of Columbia from using its local government funds to support harm reduction services and prohibiting organizations that received federal funding from operating a syringe exchange program, even if funded with private donations. Like most harm reduction organizations across the country, financial viability for PreventionWorks! was always a challenge, but numerous private foundations and grantmaking charities and an army of volunteers helped sustain its work. In 2007, the law was changed to allow DC government funds to support syringe exchange. As a result, PreventionWorks! and several other local organizations began receiving DC government funding for their prevention programs.

Recent government support was critical to giving PreventionWorks! the potential for staying power, but unfortunately the organization was ultimately unable to build and sustain the financial and organizational capacity worthy of its work. As a result, the Board of Directors decided to close the agency so supporters could turn their resources and volunteerism to more sustainable organizations. The PreventionWorks! Board of Directors feels great sadness and disappointment toward this ending, but made the difficult decision based on financial realities. The closure of the agency marks the end of a historic chapter in the city’s battle against HIV/AIDS. PreventionWorks! closes with 11 dedicated staff and hundreds of volunteers.

In part due to the advocacy and endurance of PreventionWorks!, government funds became available for harm reduction and syringe exchange, and as a result, other organizations in Washington, DC now provide such services. While PreventionWorks! made unique contributions to the District’s public health system that will not easily be replaced, it is fortunate that PreventionWorks! is shutting its doors at a time when there are other options for clients. Still, outreach and support services for drug users, including sterile syringe access, are not nearly to scale. In the absence of PreventionWorks!, it will be critical for the government and private funders to increase their support for those organizations that can step up to fill the void.

The PreventionWorks! Board of Directors would like to thank the private donors that supported the organization for so many years when the government could not, and the DC Department of Health for its critical support in more recent years. The Board also salutes the past and current staff who can stand tall for having saved thousands of lives over the past 12 years and for believing that any positive change in an individual’s life is indeed positive change. Even as the organization closes, PreventionWorks! staff has put the clients first. Above all, we acknowledge the courage and resilience of the PreventionWorks! clients themselves, who, despite the disease and stigma of drug use, have continued to persevere through their journeys of recovery in a society that has failed to provide adequate and effective resources for people struggling with addiction.

Washington, DC has the highest rate of new AIDS cases in the country with an estimated 1 in 20 residents living with HIV. The CDC estimates that injection drug use has directly and indirectly accounted for more than one-third of AIDS cases in the United States. Over the past decade, PreventionWorks! has evolved from a needle exchange organization into a critical part of the District of Columbia's HIV prevention strategy.
    PreventionWorks! today offers tools, information and services for leading healthier lives. We provide sterile injection equipment, harm reduction supplies, safe disposal of used supplies, HIV testing (with results in 20 minutes), drug treatment referrals, wound care and safer sex kits, food, education, trainings, support groups and HIV medical case management/treatment adherence.

19. Collapse Details

I go to Project Access located in Newark (NJ) 393 Central Ave. You wont see it when you drive by, but on the side of the building there is an entrance to the 'pharmacy' and then the guy at the desk will direct you to the exchange.

They are really great, there. I just went back the other day, after not going for about a year since I am on MMT. But they have expanded, and even have 31g needles in the back. Sterile water, swabs, cottons, filters, band aids, condoms etc. He said he could get me micron filters, too. They also offer all kinds of rehab stuff and also HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis testing.

In the last year they expanded like three fold the guy was telling me. Good work they do down there.

You also get the 'get out of jail free' card which exempts you from a paraphinalia charge. But if you have dope, you're still going to jail. I got arrested like 10 minutes after leaving the exchange a long time ago, while my (ex)girlfriend was prepping our shots. Pretty dumb, I know. We got arrested, but they left all my syringes in the back seat, as well as the ones STILL FULL OF DOPE that I shoved in the door pocket. Strange..And it wasn't even after copping, either. We just went there specifically to get rigs, but had dope on us from the day before. The DEA guy was like "Shut the fuck up about the fucking syringe card, punk " Etc haha it was pretty funny.

Anyways on that site they list Project Access, but the hours have changed. I forget what they are, but they are open from like 10-4 every day except thursday (or friday?) Forget.. I have the paper in my lock box if anyone wants the info.

20. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    city of SF--
    Mondays

1 – 3 pm BAYVIEW 4720 Third, btwn Newcomb & Oakdale

5 – 7 pm HAIGHT 584 Cole, btwn Haight & Page

7 – 9 pm CIVIC CENTER Ivy St, garage under Tom Waddell, Polk & Grove

Tuesdays

10 am – 12 p SOMA 117-A Sixth, btwn Mission & Howard

4 – 6 pm SOMA 1372 Mission, near 10th St, sex workers only

6 – 8 pm CASTRO behind Safeway, nr Church & Market

Wednesdays

6 – 8 pm TL 183 Golden Gate, btwn Leavenworth & Jones

6 – 8 pm MISSION 427 South Van Ness, btwn 15th & 16th

Thursdays

6 – 8 pm MISSION 165 Capp, btwn 16th & 17th, Ladies’ Night

7 – 9 pm POLK / TL Hemlock Alley, off Polk btwn Post & Sutter

Fridays

12 – 2 pm SOMA 117-A Sixth, btwn Mission & Howard

6 – 8 pm TL 234 Eddy, btwn Jones & Taylor

7 – 9 pm MISSION 16th & Mission, mobile distribution only

Saturdays

3 – 11 pm SOMA 117-A Sixth, btwn Mission & Howard

Sundays

1– 4 pm TL 183 Golden Gate, btwn Leavenworth & Jones

wound care & free health services, needle exchange, HIV/AIDS testing, sexual health, referrals for methadone/suboxone, nalaxone

21. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    This is a great idea, in the future we should organize the contact information for every needle exchange in EVERY state so that BL'ers and others looking for exchanges can look at one comprehensive directory.

Here's the info for my local exchange:

The Minnesota AIDS Project
    1400 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55404
    Phone: 612–341–2060 | Toll Free: 800–243–7321
    Fax: 612–341–4057 | Email
    Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Syringe Exchange (Mainline)
    Purchase Syringes (Minnesota Pharmacy/Syringe Access Initiative)

I don't know if a lot of other needle exchanges do this, but the Minnesota Aids Project has a list of pharmacies that will sell packs of syringes without a prescription. In MN even though it's legal to buy, sell and posses clean syringes many pharmacies refuse to sell them to people without a prescription.

It is legal under MN State law to purchase and possess clean, unused syringes. [MSA 151.40, subd 2 and MSA 152.01, subd 18 (b)]

The Minnesota AIDS Project works with community partners including the Minnesota Department of Health to engage pharmacies to promote syringe access. The pharmacies on this map have agreed to participate in the Syringe Access Initiative. For more information about the Minnesota Pharmacy/Syringe Access Initiative, visit the Minnesota Department of Health website.

22. Collapse Details

For UK drug users in the north of England, St. Annes in Leeds will deliver direct to your door. Used to get 100 x 1ml pins ( Myjector and / or Microfine brand if memory serves cos that's what I used and asked for. ) complete with swabs, citric, and needle safes delivered once a week at a time of my choosing, and they'd take away the crap from the previous week. St. Annes is one of the better known organisations in Leeds dealing with alcoholics / drug users / homeless. They require nothing more than a scribble on a piece of paper, no questions asked, and an address if you want them to deliver. You will find them travelling round the city centre on foot most days with a little back-pack handing out needles. Vast majority of those selling the Big Issue will be able to point you to them if you ask nicely. Just be sure to buy a paper when you do!

If you're homeless / transient they can even provide a GP, dental services, counselling, help with housing and benefits and at least one meal a day for next to no money. They're based in Woodhouse / Headingley, but their city centre drop-in is just over the road from Leeds main bus station at the intersection of Duke Street and York Street. Google 'St Annes near Duke Street, Leeds' or 'LS9 8AA' for a map. I can't recommend them highly enough.

http://www.st-annes.org.uk/what_we_do/substance_use
    http://www.st-annes.org.uk/what_we_d..._use/Drugs.htm
    66 York Street
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS9 8AA
    t: 0113 242 1161 / 0113 236 6610 for their drugs project ( numbers checked and working as of date of post. )
    cdts@st-annes.org.uk
    Last edited by Sepher; 07-01-2012 at 03:31.

23. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    http://www.drugpolicy.org/about-us/d...w-jersey-syrin

Here is a VITAL webpage if you are in North Jersey Hudson County area. It lists hours and locations for a few exchanges. I've personally been to the one in Jersey City and it fuckin rules. They always have food going there, and the hours are GREAT. its like 12pm to 8pm fuckin GREAT hours 5 days a week. And you leave there feeling like you are walking out of santa;s house at the north pole lol. a brown bag full of shit. Its the bomb diggity and a half.

And here in NY you can buy syringes without a script. You need ID and can only buy a max of 10 per visit. I usually pick up a pack of pins like you would cigs. They are like $3 with tax from Walgreens at Union Square, and $4 from Duane Reade. But Walgreens is 24 hours.. they are like your one stop pin shop lol all the addicts go there to pin shop

Atlantic City — South Jersey AIDS Alliance, Oasis Drop-In Center, 32 South Tennessee Avenue. Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Wednesday 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm. (Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 3:00 pm by request)

Camden — Camden Area Health Education Center, Broadway and Fairview (mobile site). Tuesday 10:30 am – 2:30 pm. Thursday 12:30 -3:30 pm.

Newark — Northern Jersey Community Research Institute (NJCRI), 393 Central Avenue. Monday – Friday 9:30 am – 4:30 pm. 101 Ludlow Street (mobile site) Tuesday 9:30 am – 11:30 am. Wednesday 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm.

Paterson — Well of Hope Drop-In Center, 207 Broadway. Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Thursday 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm.

Jersey City — Hyacinth AIDS Foundation Drop-in Center, 492 Communipaw Avenue. Monday, Tuesday, Friday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, Wednesday and Thursday 12:00 – 8:00 pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12