EMD Lets Talk Trance - The New and Official Trance Discussions Thread

Not even if we are discussing compilations. In terms of individual releases there are literally hundreds of labels putting it together. London 90? Defcon? Mondo? Unearthed? Armand does his thing and is very active but damn, not even close.

Not even if we are discussing compilations. In terms of individual releases there are literally hundreds of labels putting it together. London 90? Defcon? Mondo? Unearthed? Armand does his thing and is very active but damn, not even close.
individual releases i mean...

for compilations the artist usually goes through there very own label doesn't even have to be a known one

hey i personally love Armin

what do you guys think about above and beyond/ ocean lab and there anjuna beats label they are have having a party in march in my town and there making a pretty big deal about it

Above and Beyond definitely have their moments. Some of their work is a little too commercial for my tastes, but I definitely like A&B more than Armin, I think they really dig what they are doing, while Armin is just "cashing in".

Though I still disagree about "Armada's" domination, I don't think Armin is a sell out, making money isn't the same thing. He has remained true the genre and that is the bottom line.

On Above and Beyond, don't like much of their materiel BUT really do dig their live sets and anyone spinning "Montauk" ("Meet Me in Montauk" Signalrunners) gets props from me. My sons are trying to get leave (from the military) for their Eilat gig (in Israel). Anyone who jumps from Syria to Israel while touring is a hard worker.

On Ferry Corsten, I'm really into his remix of BT's release with JC Chasez ("Force of Gravity"). I was just listening to it about an hour ago, trying to keep from wearing it out.

(Edit to put the title and artist in for "Montauk")

Last edited:
ASOT is the leading trance radio show by a country mile, anything and everything is pretty much signed on Armada, appealing to a large commercial audience. This is a prime example where quantity overcomes quality.

For you to say he has remained true to the genre is a joke to me.

And if Armada doesn't dominate, then who does? Those small trance labels you mentioned? lol!
I'm starting to question your knowledge on the overall discussion.

Last edited:
ASOT is the leading trance radio show by a country mile, anything and everything is pretty much signed on Armada, appealing to a large commercial audience. This is a prime example where quantity overcomes quality.

For you to say he has remained true to the genre is a joke to me.

And if Armada doesn't dominate, then who does? Those small trance labels you mentioned? lol!
I'm starting to question your knowledge on the overall discussion.

what ? im not understanding your post armin has ALWAYS been trance and every track that is released under his label is trance.

i dl the latest podcast and loved it ! i also dl there video podcast and its pretty cool the trance energy one is funny you can tell one of them is rolling lol 8o

Cool - I've never checked out the videos, I shall do that tomorrow when the postman arrives ;)

ASOT - I checked out the web site and visited the podcasts bit - I could only see 2 to listen to and every 5 minutes the say "your listening to a podcast......" got right on my tits.

I've listened to Above and Beyond for the last 4/5 years and IMO there's been a progression - a moving forward of their music, going in new directions, a change.

I maybe put that down to a change in the drugs being used by listeners - maybe drugs that lead to a a short attention span, needing to hear something different more frequently (meph??) maybe Im off the mark here, but thats wat I thought.

what ? im not understanding your post armin has ALWAYS been trance and every track that is released under his label is trance.

Maybe so, today's trance is considered "trance" But is it really? I dont know about you, but I've been listening to trance for about a decade, and its nothing like what it use to be. Music evolves yes, but the direction in which Armin has taken his music is somewhat commercial, and is seriously misleading to what "trance" is and what it once was.

His latest album "Mirage" was pretty meh.

Thats just my 2cents

yes music evolves and all music from a decade is different from today's music. I think before electronic music was very technoy and had lots of break beat elements.

I bought a 2002 dj micro and armada at Ibiza CD "essential trance vol. 2 " brings 4 disks and the trance is very dark and dreamy or very techno and up beat. times have changed but non the less to days trance is still trance
there are also many different types of trance

NSFW:
Trance music is broken into a large
number of genres. Chronologically , the
major genres are Classic trance, Acid
trance, Progressive trance, and Uplifting
Trance. Uplifting Trance is also known as
" Anthem trance " , " Epic trance " , " Stadium
trance" or " Euphoric trance" . Closely
related to Uplifting Trance is Euro- trance,
which has become a general term for a
wide variety of highly commercialized
European dance music . Several subgenres
are crossovers with other major genres of
electronic music . For instance, tech trance
is a mixture of trance and techno, Vocal
Trance adds vocals and a pop -like
structure to the songs, and Ambient trance
is a mixture of ambient and trance .
Balearic beat, which is associated with the
laid back vacation lifestyle of Ibiza, Spain ,
is often called " Ibiza trance " . Similarly ,
Dream trance is sometimes called " Dream
House " , and is a subgenre of relaxing
trance pioneered by Robert Miles in the
mid 90s. In recent years, trance has been
blended with elements of heavy metal
music (mostly melodic death metal ) . This
fusion genre is often termed " trance
metal " .
Chinese trance is a subgenre of trance
music that originated in China in 2000. It
features accelerated tempo, between 160
and 190 bpm . It derives from House ,
Techno, Psy and Indian Goa Trance.
Another important distinction is between
European trance and Goa trance which
originated in Goa , India around the same
time trance was evolving in Europe. Goa
trance was influential in the formation of
Psychedelic Trance, which features spazzy ,
spontaneous samples and other
psychedelic elements . Trance is also very
popular in Israel , with psychedelic trance
producers such as Infected Mushroom ,
Astrix, and Yahel Sherman achieving world
wide fame .

Last edited:
I can only laugh. As a 44 year old I have been listening to the same complaints ("Trance now is nothing like what it was") since the genre first evolved.

As for imagining that Armada cintrols everything, not even if you listen To Armin's show. You laugh off small labels but in places I frequent (on 3 continents) I rarely here an Armada track. You want to imagine I know nothing about the genre because I disagree with you? The word "poseur" comes to mind but maybe I'm judging your comments too harshly. Maybe in your corner of the world you only get to hear State of Trance and imagine it represents anything real. If so, travel, you will be a$azed how diverse 0Trance truly is.

As for Armin staying true to the genre seeing as how everybody and their mum are doing mainstream remixes EXCEPT Armin, yeah I definitely see it that way. As I said, making money doesn't equal selling out.

I can only laugh. As a 44 year old I have been listening to the same complaints ("Trance now is nothing like what it was") since the genre first evolved.

As for imagining that Armada cintrols everything, not even if you listen To Armin's show. You laugh off small labels but in places I frequent (on 3 continents) I rarely here an Armada track. You want to imagine I know nothing about the genre because I disagree with you? The word "poseur" comes to mind but maybe I'm judging your comments too harshly. Maybe in your corner of the world you only get to hear State of Trance and imagine it represents anything real. If so, travel, you will be a$azed how diverse 0Trance truly is.

As for Armin staying true to the genre seeing as how everybody and their mum are doing mainstream remixes EXCEPT Armin, yeah I definitely see it that way. As I said, making money doesn't equal selling out.

i agree like i said there are many different types of trance and many different trance artist . armin has kept trance very alive but there are other artist out there that are better then him and NOT main stream

you can say you liked the trance from a decade ago but are you really a trance lover ?. or are you just saying that todays trance sucks ? the music has evolved and the sounds are better then what they were before harder beats, new techs and equipment that make the music better more powerful to the ear.

btw last night i went to go see pvd and filo & peri .. AMAZING im still in an after shock half deff from the powerful speakers the club had !!!

filo & peri are amazing !!!

Can anyone contribute some good new trance, or some old skul classics that I simply missed out on?

Here are some of my favourites:

LN Movement - Golden Desert
Binary Finary - 1998
Art of Trance - Madagascar
Salt Tank - Eugina (Michael Woods Remix)
Three Drives - Greece 2000
System F - Out of the Blue
Gabriel & Dresden - Arcadia
Agnelli & Nelson - El Nino
Phynn - Lucid
BT - Mercury & Solace
Gouryella - Walhalla
World Clique - Don't Do It

Thanks!