RFD (until MAY 28): Bluelight Day - now will added poll!

"BLUELIGHT DAY(S)" should be ....

• Int'l Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) ...dates change yearly

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • International Drug User's Day (November 1st)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • The date Bluelight was launched (research required)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • June 26 (International Day against Drug Abuse and Drug Trafficing)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other - specify below.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MazDan

Bluelight Crew
I was wondering what your thoughts were on the concept of having a Bluelight Day.

The idea would be twofold. (or maybe more if you wish)

1. As a day of remembrance for all those who have been taken from us. For a special skin, maybe black or grey, to be on bluelight for that entire day or 24 hour period, keeping in mind that its a worldwide thing.

2. That we encourage all our members to make it a drug free day as a sign of respect.

The idea is that it would be promoted site wide with each individual forum, even the lounge, having there own special ideas and threads to both publicise it and also to "celebrate" it.

ie ED could start a thread inviting members to post names of those from there country that have been reported as having died from ecstasy related use.

ED could start a thread inviting members to sign up to the thread indicating there agreement to stay drug free that day.

The Lounge might start a thread inviting there posters to pop into the shrine and read about a long forgotten bluelighter and maybe offer some kind words in there thread.

Anyways I dont wanna ramble to much but I would like your feedback.

I like the way you think Maz. :)

Very thoughtful and something that should be considered in greater detail.

Have you got any thoughts for a date or month???

Not really cos I sort of didnt want to waste brain cells thinking about it if the idea didnt get past first base.

I do think that whatever date it is needs to be considered on a worldwide basis.

Maybe someone out there can think of something really smart with the numbers or maybe it could be on a date that was special for a particular reason such as the first reported bluelighters death or something similar.

Well said, angel. Mazzy is delightfully unique in that way. :)

I think it's a great idea, my only concern is: I wouldn't want too much of a guilt trip for those who are in the throes of addiction and might find it impossible to stop for that day. Maybe de-emphasize the abstinence "requirement."

Or maybe instead of give up drugs for a day, members could pass along pieces of harm reduction to non members (whether it be friends or whatnot).

Great idea Mazza :)

Change "requirement" to "opportunity" and leave it up to them individually, ToeBaller is happy, everyone else participates as they can and wish.

History Lesson - when the first BLer died (well, at least as noted on the site) there was a discussion of having a 'Blackout' for them ... which then recurred periodically when someone else died ... but the discussion was to have it remembered (celebrated seems an inappropriate word) with a blackout on that first person's date every year to signify ALL lost members, but it wasn't followed up on. That said, I don't have an issue with any of this.

We have a Blacklight skin for just this occasion. Up until a couple of years ago we would turn that skin on for the whole site for a few days whenever someone passed away. After a while it was decided to abandon this for a Blacklight that would happen once a year but for some reason this was never followed up on.

The last "blackout" we had was when Alan (xtcxtc) passed away on the 28 Jan 2008.

It was mentioned that we use this day (and the week afterwards) every year to commemorate, but I think that's open to discussion.

Change "requirement" to "opportunity" and leave it up to them individually, ToeBaller is happy, everyone else participates as they can and wish.

History Lesson - when the first BLer died (well, at least as noted on the site) there was a discussion of having a 'Blackout' for them ... which then recurred periodically when someone else died ... but the discussion was to have it remembered (celebrated seems an inappropriate word) with a blackout on that first person's date every year to signify ALL lost members, but it wasn't followed up on. That said, I don't have an issue with any of this.

Wow i had no idea..........the concept of the first just sort of made sense.

I agree celebrate is not the appropriate word hence why I put it in these things "". memory or remembrance is probably a better word as suggested.

Regards the concept of a drug free day...I forsaw that it may be a problem for some and hence I used the word encourage.

I mean, TBH in a perfect world, everyone would really put an effort in, even if it meant they failed at the 13th hour, I would see that as a win. But of course the truth is that many would not even bother having a go...........thats life but I dont see why we couldn't encourage....then the rest is up to them and how they feel. Hell, you just never know, some may surprise you and even moreso surprise themselves.

i think pushing the harm reduction message would be a great idea- tell at least one person (who doesnt know about bluelight) a piece of harm reduction information and then tell them of BL.

We could even get a mega thread happening on the front page with-

from .nu to ru. whats the best thing youve gotten out of using bluelight

a fantastic idea indeed.

i too liked the suggestion of the date having some significance to alan, somehow; or the date that bluelight was born from the clearinghouse.

I like this idea but I agree with tobala that alot of people suffer heavy addicitions and to guilt trip them is a little harsh. I do though like the idea of the symbolism and think we should do it :).

I concur. I don't think abstaining from drugs for one day does much for anyone except make them seek it out harder the next day.

Instead of "don't use drugs" (which is a wasted message IMO - plenty of users, especially in OD, will just mock you and will probably post how high they are...and that will only cause a lot of friction between BLers here) why don't we promote a message that says "use responsibly", or promote harm reduction tips (IE never shoot pills without a micron filter, benzodiazepine tolerance and the reason to avoid it, etc)?

Actually, coming back to this - our mission and goal isn't abstention...it's spreading information. So I come back to this

i think pushing the harm reduction message would be a great idea- tell at least one person (who doesnt know about bluelight) a piece of harm reduction information and then tell them of BL.

I sort of understand where you guys are coming from, its a bit harder for me because I dont have an addiction however I do have many friends who do and they seem to agree with the concept that it just wouldnt work.

I think its a pity if people dont even try but such is life.

I like the idea of a spread the message component to the Bluelight remembrance day.

Actually that has greater potential for a positive outcome.

It also provides some great opportunities for forums to have "tell us about your harm reduction effrts" threads.

As it would appear that this idea has been raised a number of times before and never gone any further, can i ask what needs to happen now to ensure it at least gets to the next base of consideration?

It was mentioned that we use this day (and the week afterwards) every year to commemorate, but I think that's open to discussion.

I think that's the best idea for this right there. Alan was such a pivotal figure in Bluelight's history that, if we use any day or week to do this, it should be the day or week that he passed. I also think doing this for an entire week would be the best route, giving people who want to participate a longer period of time to actually participate. Not everyone checks BL every day, so if they aren't around to see it, they may not get the chance to take part in it, so leaving it up for a week would fix that to an extent.

I think this is a great idea. We should most definitely follow up on this, and continue to follow up on it for as long as we - the site itself, not current staff - are around.

As it would appear that this idea has been raised a number of times before and never gone any further, can i ask what needs to happen now to ensure it at least gets to the next base of consideration?

I think we're all in agreement that this will happen.

What remains to be done... isn't much really.

1. Agree on a date that this will start, I'm not fussed on when it starts, if the day of Alan's death is easiest to agree on we should choose that or come up with options for a poll. To be most effective, this should run for a week, 24 hours isn't long enough... I'd also consider longer if people think that's necessary.

2. I can put together a small notice in the header that will run across all of BL for that period; perhaps containing a small description of why BL is a different color and linking to a thread in Support for discussion/remembering departed BL'ers.

3. Individual forums that want to do something special for that week, like Maz's suggestions, should make their time (prepare).

4. A catchy name ;)

I think we're all in agreement that this will happen.

I think we're all on the same page with this. As to 1-4....yeah, agree as well. Only weird part that occured to me over the weekend is selection of Alan's date. I mean, of all people, yes he ought to be remembered, but it seems off that he didn't die from drugs ... which is what all the other members are being remembered for and what the drive of the 'BL Day' would be, no? I dunno, still seems weird to me to the point of wanting another date...but not enough to put up a fight about it.

I'm for the date of Alan's passing as well, he was like the father of BL so I don't think the idea that he did not die from drug use is such a big issue. How else would we pick a date?

Mexican day of the dead?
International world peace day?

I can't think of any other particular date that seems right.

When did BL go online? When was Skydancer's birthday? Or Jase's, depending upon who actually launched the site? Is there an international 'harm reduction' type of date already existing?