RFD (until MAY 28): Bluelight Day - now will added poll!

"BLUELIGHT DAY(S)" should be ....

• Int'l Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) ...dates change yearly

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • International Drug User's Day (November 1st)

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • The date Bluelight was launched (research required)

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • June 26 (International Day against Drug Abuse and Drug Trafficing)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other - specify below.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^ Those are good points, but would we even be here discussing this right now if it weren't for Alan? I don't mean to say no one else contributed to the well-being of BL, but Alan is the only one who has died and contributed in a hugely significant way.

I wouldn't disagree with another date being chosen, though. In fact, if we don't use Alan's date of passing, we should use either the International Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) or International Drug User's Day (November 1st).

That's my .02

Alan was one of the first bigger (factor) guys on Bluelight to actually make me feel very welcome and comfortable with posting, especially around the months of when I was recruited as a mod. I wish I would have had more of a chance to talk to him on a personal level before he went. I fully believe his date of passing should be used, even though there are numerous other important dates in BL history that would be sufficient as well.

Can I ask for someone to provide actual dates of any relevant days so we can look to move forward with this.

I like the idea of a week long period............,aybe the week that coincides with whatever the date is when included from Monday through to Sunday.

I sort of think its best to start on a Monday and finish with a complete weekend which may also in the future include some sort of celebration of commemoration of sorts.

Maybe if anyone wants a specific date ie Alans death then put forward the date and then if more than one we can vote it.

Is this something that the wider populus should vote on?

Re-reading the thread, I see nothing that is 'staff-only' about it. Any objections to moving this to SUPPORT to get feedback from the members? Not an effort to push this off with further debate (we have agreed we'll do it), but it would raise their awareness of something like this and get their take on it up front rather than letting them simply react when it happens.

To the dates, the ones I listed, I can't answer ... I doubt anyone else can either, though anyone is free to try. Again, maybe someone in the public can share this information if they've been around a long time. Any objections (3 days) to moving this out?

maybe on the day BL was created.. as a celebration towards BL's founders... no?

Great idea!

I wouldn't disagree with another date being chosen, though. In fact, if we don't use Alan's date of passing, we should use either the International Harm Reduction Conference (April 20 - 23) or International Drug User's Day (November 1st).

I agree with sixpartseven. Here's more info on International Drug Users Day

Re-reading the thread, I see nothing that is 'staff-only' about it. Any objections to moving this to SUPPORT to get feedback from the members? Not an effort to push this off with further debate (we have agreed we'll do it), but it would raise their awareness of something like this and get their take on it up front rather than letting them simply react when it happens.

To the dates, the ones I listed, I can't answer ... I doubt anyone else can either, though anyone is free to try. Again, maybe someone in the public can share this information if they've been around a long time. Any objections (3 days) to moving this out?

I got no probs with that at all mate.

So long as you guys are happy.

Can I ask for someone to provide actual dates of any relevant days so we can look to move forward with this.

I like the idea of a week long period............,aybe the week that coincides with whatever the date is when included from Monday through to Sunday.

I sort of think its best to start on a Monday and finish with a complete weekend which may also in the future include some sort of celebration of commemoration of sorts.

Maybe if anyone wants a specific date ie Alans death then put forward the date and then if more than one we can vote it.

Is this something that the wider populus should vote on?

I'm actually starting to think International Drug Users Day would be most appropriate. It seems at least one person (tronica) agrees with me.

It's November 1st, so the week of November 1st is when we could celebrate it. (Either start on the first, or the Monday before the first, running to the end of that week's weekend.)

That's my official opinion on the matter.

I'm actually starting to think International Drug Users Day would be most appropriate. It seems at least one person (tronica) agrees with me.

It's November 1st, so the week of November 1st is when we could celebrate it. (Either start on the first, or the Monday before the first, running to the end of that week's weekend.)

That's my official opinion on the matter.

I like that but does it work keeping in mind the concept is to remember those who are no longer with us?

Like...is it OK to put an International drug users day along with an BL remembrance week?

I would say so, yes. Maybe in a some-what convoluted way, though. Drug users day is a day that advocates drug usage, obviously going against most of the current drug laws which in a way, make drug use less safe than it could be, resulting in the needless deaths that we are remembering.

I just made that up, if you can't tell. My real reason for supporting that day is that it's viewed across the world on the same day and it's something we all (most) have in common (drug usage).

All that matters is that I don't think it would be offensive to those we lost, if that's what you meant.

EDIT: However, if we don't use this day for the Bluelight Day, perhaps we should consider doing something special each year to recognize this day, anyways. We are, after all, a pretty big figure in the drug using world.

It's something to think about, at the very least.

Is that day specifically a HR day or just a we do drugs day?

I would love for us to start an international harm minimisation day.

^ I recall reading that there is one. I couldn't find info before, but there is an annual Harm Reduction Conference every year.

Here's a little more about International Drug Users Day.
- it sounds very much like something we would support or are indeed already part of.

As for the International Harm Reduction Conferences, they have been happening annually now since 1990. In 2010, the 21st IHRC will be held in Liverpool. I'm not sure whether I will be able to find funding, but I'm certainly going to try and get there. The conferences are academic but they also include drug user groups and other folks interested in drugs. See IHRA. They are always held at the end of April.

Another thought I've just had is that I know there is already a day annually called something like National Overdose Day, in Australia at least, where people who have died from drug related causes are remembered. I'm recalling this from my work at Turning Point. I'll look into it more and get back to you about when that is and whether it is indeed international.

OK, further scratching around found some interesting stuff:

There is an organisation called the International Network of People who Use Drugs, INPUD, see their blog and their website, which has a very nice opening scene!

On their blog, they are talking about the different ways countries around the world are marking 'Rememberance Day' which appears to be very similar to what is being discussed by Bluelight here - a day to remember those we have lost due to overdoses or complications regarding their drug use.

We don't appear to be alone in wanting to do this...

2009_uk_rem-day-posterha3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of working together.

I am not convinced about stopping a war on drugs although it depends on the context but i am all for anything HR related.

This was just posted to a local email list. Thought it could be of interest to this thread:

AUSTRALIAN INJECTING & ILLICIT DRUG USERS LEAGUE: MEDIA RELEASE

DRUG USERS SAY: “WE ARE PART OF THE COMMUNITY AND DESERVE TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT AND DIGNITY”

The national peak organisation representing people who use illicit drugs, the Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL), is joining with communities of people who use illicit drugs from around the world to celebrate International Drug Users Day on 1 November 2009.

In celebrating this day we are speaking as people who use illicit drugs to tell the world that we are valuable members of the community, who come from all walks of life and are people who care about the world we live in. We are proud of our survival in a climate that criminalises, demonises and stigmatises all people who use illicit drugs as worthless, selfish, criminals.

Annie Madden, AIVL Executive Officer stated “We are not a small and insignificant group of people; we are your family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues, in short, we are part of your community. We deserve equitable access to health services, civil and human rights and same respect and opportunities afforded all members of Australian society.”

We live with the constant grief of losing loved ones due to overdose and diseases such as HIV and hepatitis. Love ones whose lives could have been saved had we removed the criminalisation of drug use and provided access to an expanded range of drug treatments now available in many countries around the world. As a community we have fought hard for our right to access drug treatments that are accessible, affordable and meet our needs.

On International Drug Users Day 2009 AIVL is calling for an expansion to the range of treatment options available including heroin prescription programs and injectable methadone, buprenorphine and morphine. “The international evidence is indisputable in relation to the efficacy of these programs. Numerous evaluations have now shown that providing injectable pharmacotherapy programs has improved people’s health, their social and living conditions, their ability to participate in study and employment and reduced crime.” Ms Madden added.

AIVL believes one of the most important aspects of these programs is that they save lives. Australian and international studies have shown that people who access drug treatment programs are significantly more protected from dying due to a drug-related overdose than those not in pharmacotherapy treatment. One Australian study has shown that; one in 100 people using heroin on the street die from overdose compared with one overdose death for every 485 people for those on a methadone pharmacotherapy program.

“Australian drug users deserve access to programs that protect their lives and should be given the opportunity to choose from the widest possible evidence-based drug treatment options in order to get the best ‘treatment fit’. Furthermore, we want these choices now, not as a last option when we have hit so-called ‘rock bottom’. Being able to engage in a drug treatment option of our choice, that suits our needs, should not have to come at the price of our lives being in devastation before we are offered or become eligible for these programs” stressed Ms Madden.

Too often heroin prescription programs are talked about only as an option of ‘last resort’. AIVL is concerned that we are thinking about heroin prescription in the wrong way. It should be offered alongside other treatment options for anyone seeking to manage an opioid dependency. “We believe we should have access to the full range of treatment options available, anything less is an infringement upon our human rights and potentially exposes many people to discrimination, criminalisation, disease and death simply because we have refused to heed the now overwhelming evidence supporting such programs” Ms Madden concluded.

Media Contact: Annie Madden, AIVL Executive Officer on ph: (02) 6279 1600 or mobile: 0414 628 136.

^ that sounds incredible. the AIVL sounds like the NAACP for junkies. I like it a lot and fully support the teaming of BL with anything like this.

Not ignored - simply not thought of far enough in advance. Thank you for the reminder. Please provide any other ideas you guys find. Thanks.