• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Reading is good for your brain

^ Best books I've ever read. I read all three of them.

There's things in the books that aren't in the movie. Missing chapers; one of them is even about mushrooms :D

I'm in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's Stardust. Neil's books are always excellent. Makes you feel like you're in another world.

^ Best books I've ever read. I read all three of them.

There's things in the books that aren't in the movie. Missing chapers; one of them is even about mushrooms :D

Hell yea man, such a great story too...epicness

god damn there are a shitload of good recomendations in here, shows something about the quality of posters in the psychedelic section. im glad to see this got good attention.

heres the books ive on my "to read" list thanks to this thread now.

If on a Winter's Night Traveler - Calvino
The Wisdom of Insecurity - Watts
Dune - Frank
Cat's Cradle - Vonnegut
A bunch of other Vonnegut
Catch 22 - Heller
The Magus - Fowles
The Last Question - Asimov

that should keep me busy for a while.

Anyone in here read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick? Not sure if its psychedelic or not but anyone recomend it?

I haven't read that, but I do own A Scanner Darkly... I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi.

From your list, I say you should read The Magus first... the book is something like 600 pages, but I burned through it in like 3 days. Spellbinding-ly erotic book :eek:

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King & The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub are both amazing and will stay with you for a long time.

+1 For Dark Tower. Another amazingly imaginative epic.

If your looking for a mind bending Phillip k Dick novel, try Valis. I just started getting into him and read this one the other week. Very short read; about 250 pages.

Haven't read Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep yet but it is on the list along with many other Dick novels.

I second VALIS. Best PKD novel, some of those exegesis excerpts in it are particularly psychedelic. For anyone interested in Gnosticism and mystical madness' must go for VALIS -- it is a fictionalized account of PKD's own experiences -- he actually has (supposedly an eight thousand page) exegesis. I have a feeling VALIS is only the tip of the iceberg of what PKD went through.

"Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep" is a good story and a quick read. Blade Runner certainly missed the point completely. I wouldn't call it psychedelic, it's more on the existential and sociological side of things....The idea of the TV box (or whatever it was called) that hooked everyone into the "shared pain experience" so as to enhance the collective of the society is a really interesting concept......it's still no VALIS though.

my input to this thread would MOST definitely have to be every book in the Carlos Castaneda series. Tales of a journalist turn apprentice to a Mexican Yaqui indian shaman, in which he learns of the power of psychadelic substances and different layers of reality.

Unless it's was all just a very dodgy mixture of fakery, plaigarism and general cultishness ;)

Interesting documentary on the Castaneda thing here :)

I hear Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is a great book with psychedelic qualities without mentioning specific drugs often.

There's a material he talks about called "Soma" that facilitates the utopian world of the book.

I've never read it but it's definitely on my list. :)
This one. Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, hands down. He died during an LSD trip, too.

The Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock have lots of psychedelic themes. They're science fiction storys about a hero that is doomed to fight against law and chaos to maintain balance for all existence in many different parts of the 'multiverse'.

read through all of the books in the Dune series. beyond epic. spans thousands of years in just two characters lifetimes if i remember correctly. i need to read them again.

oh and my input to this thread would MOST definitely have to be every book in the Carlos Castaneda series. Tales of a journalist turn apprentice to a Mexican Yaqui indian shaman, in which he learns of the power of psychadelic substances and different layers of reality.

The teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui way of Knowledge.
A Seperate Reality.
Journey to Ixtlan
Tales of Power
The Second Ring of Power
The Fire from Within
The Power of Silence

i would say every lurker of the psychadelic forum would enjoy this series immensely.

I hope I'm not the one breaking the "bad" news, but castaneda is/was a complete fake. Its fairly apparent, after many people investigated his works, that Don Juan didn't actually exist....

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King & The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub are both amazing and will stay with you for a long time.

YES!! Especially the Dark Tower series; one, great epic fucking THOUGHT LOOP!!!! Utterly brilliant; and defintely influenced by psychedelic thought (main charater even eats mescaline...) Brilliant stuff- though I love all of Stephen Kings book, and especially how nearly every one of them is linked to Th Dark Tower.

Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King is an awesome look at the 60's; though it utterly breaks my heart to read; why, I don't know....makes me feel so sad and wistful and all sortsa majestic emotions. <3

The Holographic Universe - Michael Talbot
Journey to the East - Hermann Hesse

Be here now?
beherenowlg.jpg

The elegant universe

The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos were the two books that spurned my interest in physics, and inspired me to add a physics minor to my degree plan. Two very special books with a very special place in my heart.

Brian Greene is such a good writer; he has this uncanny knack for communicating very complex ideas eloquently and concisely enough for most laymen to understand. Very good stuff! :)

It really was, another book...though it's somewhat like reading a very well written textbook from the 60's is:

Understanding physics: The electron, proton, and neutron
by Isaac Asimov

very psychedelic just in the way the universe is beautiful

Filth by irvine walsh/welsh , about a corrupt copper who has a parasitic worm in him madness

I hope I'm not the one breaking the "bad" news, but castaneda is/was a complete fake. Its fairly apparent, after many people investigated his works, that Don Juan didn't actually exist....

No shit! It really upsets me. I read every single frigging thing in print by this guy even after some people were questioning whether any of it happened. I wish I could get a few years of my life back.

Beat ya too it, Swirlow ;)

Not only a fraud but a scumbag to boot :\