• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

Gabapentin acts on anxiety & depression by blocking calcium channel-mediated release of stress hormone catecholamines (epinephrine & norepinephrine) by the adrenal glands when triggered by nerve impulses from the amygdala in your brain after a threat is perceived. A threat can be a predator near you, something remembered or something heard.

I've been on this for years after a DO psychologist suggested I try anti-epileptic drugs for the depression side of my bipolar mania. Sodium valproate had no effect but gabapentin at 300 mg/day works like a charm. If I feel anxious or depressed, a 100 mg cap of this wipes out the negative feelings within an hour or so. I've been on it at 300 mg/day for 20 years or so. My DO GP increased it to 600 mg/day when I read that 300 mg was just the starter dosage & that 600 was the maintenance dosage. She told me that she prescribes it for other patients but we couldn't get into details.

I agree with the comments here that gabapentin has value as a recreational drug in large doses. At 2,000 mg I had a wonderful buzz with disassociative effects after 2-3 hours & lasting 6-8 hours. But the next night 3,000 mg didn't give as much of the buzz effect & after skipping a night, 3,600 mg had very little effect. This stuff builds up tolerance rapidly. I've read that you need a 5-7 week break to get this tolerance to wear off but I haven't gotten there yet to say if that is true for me. I also have to study how dosing & having a big meal before taking it affect the high.

Last edited:
You should pop 900 mg. then take 300mg every hour or half hour until they are gone. i have read everything you said. Citric Acid is the main thing in Soda that breaks it down faster, i believe. The main rule I have seen is to take an initial large dose. then stack the doses. I am prescribed 2400 a day, I take 1200 mg in the morning and then like 300 every 2 hrs or so after that. keeps it flowing. If you did take the other 3 , you would essentially be wasting them.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help?

Hey!!!! Let me tell you some stuff about Gabapentin(Neurontin).
What is it?-Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a GABA analogue. It was originally developed for the treatment of epilepsy, and currently, Gabapentin is widely used to relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain.
220px-Gabapentin_3D.png

So why was it made?Gabapentin was initially synthesized to mimic the chemical structure of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), but is not believed to act on the same brain receptors.Sounds a lot like GHB/GBLGHB-gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, a neuroprotective and depressant drug&GBL-gamma-Butyrolactone Hmmmm.. They sound very alike!
What's it feel like?-It varies from person to person. I don't want to tell you to go out and take 2500+mg.. Begin with a low dose to see how it effects you. I'm no MD but I can tell you that if it's your first time you should begin with 1-3 to begin with (900mg). It has the same sort of effect's of xanax, ghb, and hydrocodone. With a THC buzz. It makes me feel really dream like, and smooth high. When I take high doses I tend to drop things, and have a small twitching problem.
Best way to take it!-I don't want you to go and do this to every gabapen capsule you have. I normally will empty the contents of the capsules into a square of toilet paper and parachute it. It tastes WORST than ecstasy/mdma! Gabapentin tastes horable!!! So be sure to swallow it before it bust's open in your mouth!
Cool things about Gabapentin!-There have been reports by methamphetamine addicts that gabapentin alone in doses of 1200 mg at bedtime taken for 40–60 days has been effective in reducing the withdrawal symptoms and almost eliminating cravings or desire to use methamphetamine. It also helps those addicted to prescribed pain medications and takes away withdrawal symptoms.
Is it addictive?-Yes, it is. it's withdrawl effects are verry similar to benzo/alocohol withdrawl symptoms. (Only after long term use.)
So what's it feel like again...?-Although gabapentin is not a controlled substance, it does produce psychoactive effects that could lead to recreational use of the drug. However, it is widely regarded as having little or no potential for misuse. Pregabalin, a gabapentinoid with higher potency marketed for neuropathic pain, is a controlled substance, under Schedule V of the United States' Controlled Substances Act.
Recreational use of gabapentin produces a varying number of effects including euphoria, appetite stimulation, incessant talking, physical and mental stimulation which result in varying degrees of drug-induced productivity. Diarrhea/stomach discomfort is commonly reported with heavy use.
Gabapentin is close to pregabalin(lyrica)
If you have any questions, comments, complaints, or what you experience with gabapentin, please let us know!!!!

So, what would happen if I took Vyvanse with Gabapentin? I was on Vyvanse before but not with Gabapentin. Like many have described above I have felt great talkative and full of energy.....but then I was losing my tolerance. Im on 2400 mg a day, but I stupidly mess with the doses. I have just been prescribed Vyvanse 30 mg again. Does the Gabapentin potentiate the Vyvanse or the other way around? It would be nice to hear from someone who seems to know what they are are talking about ;)

I tried 2,000 mg in one shot just before dinner & after 2-3 hours got a great buzz with disassociative effects that lasted 6-8 hours. No different or even less the next night with 3,000 mg.

When tripping with the 2K mg I felt wonderful & played on the computer. Definitely not for driving. Probably great for sex. I think taking anything more than 2,000 is just wasting it.

After reading comments here will try next time after eating & in staggered smaller doses over 2-3 hours.

Just to clear the air, not bagging, but I've eaten 30 300mgs gabapentin and I only weight 145 lbs. Yes I was very disoriented but no overdose. The next day kinda sucked I felt like I was drunk, and this stuff makes you retain fluid so I weighed and extra 8 lbs in the morning....But other that that I was fine.

so my first experience with gabapentin that did something was last week... i staggered 1200mgs over two hours, and was happily greeted with a high that was probably on par, as pleasant as any benzo or opioid ive ever taken.

so ff to like two days ago, im reading all of these reports of ppl taking 3600!!!! mg, so i tried it.

WAYYYY too much. i couldnt walk, and when i smoked weed, i suddenly could no longer even crawl or do anything... if i tried to grab an object, it would be as though i just had a stroke or something; i couldnt control my motor function. i also couldnt think... it was pretty unsettling, although my heart couldnt race. it literally took me five minutes to shuffle around to my wastebin to hurl. it took everything in me.

once i vomited, my motor skills were back to normal, or at least back to what the lighter dose of gabapentin had me at.

seriously, IMMEDIATELY after i puked, my motor skills and cognitive function returned.

is that normal? why? how?

Just FYI, the point of returns-that're-more-trouble-than-they're-worth is probably above 2400mg/day. If you're new to it and don't feel anything pleasant at that dose, you never will; if you feel good at that dose, you won't feel any better with more. You'll just start dosing the toilet and reduce your tolerance further.

So of course I've done at least 3600mg over 16 hours or so, not at the beginning of fresh non-tolerance. Really no added benefit, def. doesn't make me barf.

But then at the usual 1800mg, I can get higher than any prescription, abused or otherwise, that I've otherwise abused or tried, seemingly at random. Still didn't make me barf though.

And another but, there are people who say 100mg puts them to sleep, so it's definitely got a range of reactions*.

As for barfing and then immediately feeling better, you have gotten drunk and barfed before, right? Or ate something nasty, fought it, gave in and barfed, and immediately felt better? Yeah, that's how people's bodies work, nothing unusual about that.

Your brain will actively work to make you feel terrible in order to get you to barf, since it detects some chemical in your blood it thinks is poison, and is usually right. So besides the relief of your brain shutting up, it'll sometimes reward you with a shot of endorphins, you know, for your trouble.

*Still think it's more like a bimodal or trimodal set of reactions: 2 or 3 different populations, maybe some SNP somewhere, so that you have strong-reactors, non-reactors, and high-as-fuck reactors.

But then, people say they get high on benzos, and I just don't believe them.

I like this medication. It was easy to get prescribed and gives a nice weird sweet high at about 3 grams. I've been off it since yesterday and woke up from a great sleep and took another handfull this morning. Life is a soft cartoon now. I have a dr appointment tomorrow and will try to get lyrica prescribed for obvious reasons. Say peace.

I was just wondering if anyone has taken pregabalin a few hours after gabapentin and if so what there experience was
As I have my usual script of gabas but have came into the good fortune of being given fourteen 150mg pregabalin and would like to try it myself

Gabapentin works for me for about 2 or 3 days then I need a 4 day break. I'm currently on a 2 month stay in chongqing China and here Gabapentin is sold OTC in boxes of 48 x 100mg capsules and it's really cheap. Also memantine and many anti depressents are OTC you just need to Google the Chinese name and get a picture of the box to show them.

I can get a nice enjoyable buzz like once a week from gabapentin..i dont like to take it because i read that it burns out neural pathways and its permanent

So to make a long story short I was on 600mg?s of oxycodone a day (600mg?s) at my highest but tapered to 360 and then changed to bupe 24mg?s a day, I?m on day 30 of bupe and yesterday I was prescribed gabapentin to help with my pain. Last night I took 1,800 mg of gaba with my nightly dose of 2mg klonipin. After an hour or so I felt so good. I was amazed! After a month of bupe hell I finally got a mental brake from all the depression I was going through. This stuff was absolutely recreational for me, I played 3 tournies on pokerstars and had a blast right before the best sleep I?ve gotten in a month!! Just my 2 cents.

I'll be the first to admit my body reacts oddly to a lot of things. Benadryl is a guarantee to put me to sleep. Anywhere from .25 to .5mg of Xanax and I have no choice but to sleep. Lorcet, Lortab, etc often hype me up. Sudafed can give me a serious case of the shakes. With that in mind I seem to be the oddball here on how long gabapentin will keep giving you a buzz. I have a prescription for 300mg 3 times a day to help with fibromyalgia. I rarely take it that often however as for me the positive effects plateau and then taper off after a few months of taking it. The "seriously stoned" effect never went away. Since the fibro has taken so much away already in what I can do physically I avoid anything that messes with my ability to think and reason since it's the only thing about the way I used to be I have left. And yes even it has taken a hit from the fibro and I refuse to let it be affected any more.