• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

fwiw ketamine works incredibly well at stopping most if not all gabapentin withdrawals :) surprisingly well

Hey!!!! Let me tell you some stuff about Gabapentin(Neurontin).
What is it?-Gabapentin (Neurontin) is a GABA analogue. It was originally developed for the treatment of epilepsy, and currently, Gabapentin is widely used to relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain.
220px-Gabapentin_3D.png

So why was it made?Gabapentin was initially synthesized to mimic the chemical structure of the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), but is not believed to act on the same brain receptors.Sounds a lot like GHB/GBLGHB-gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid, a neuroprotective and depressant drug&GBL-gamma-Butyrolactone Hmmmm.. They sound very alike!
What's it feel like?-It varies from person to person. I don't want to tell you to go out and take 2500+mg.. Begin with a low dose to see how it effects you. I'm no MD but I can tell you that if it's your first time you should begin with 1-3 to begin with (900mg). It has the same sort of effect's of xanax, ghb, and hydrocodone. With a THC buzz. It makes me feel really dream like, and smooth high. When I take high doses I tend to drop things, and have a small twitching problem.
Best way to take it!-I don't want you to go and do this to every gabapen capsule you have. I normally will empty the contents of the capsules into a square of toilet paper and parachute it. It tastes WORST than ecstasy/mdma! Gabapentin tastes horable!!! So be sure to swallow it before it bust's open in your mouth!
Cool things about Gabapentin!-There have been reports by methamphetamine addicts that gabapentin alone in doses of 1200 mg at bedtime taken for 40?€“60 days has been effective in reducing the withdrawal symptoms and almost eliminating cravings or desire to use methamphetamine. It also helps those addicted to prescribed pain medications and takes away withdrawal symptoms.
Is it addictive?-Yes, it is. it's withdrawl effects are verry similar to benzo/alocohol withdrawl symptoms. (Only after long term use.)
So what's it feel like again...?-Although gabapentin is not a controlled substance, it does produce psychoactive effects that could lead to recreational use of the drug. However, it is widely regarded as having little or no potential for misuse. Pregabalin, a gabapentinoid with higher potency marketed for neuropathic pain, is a controlled substance, under Schedule V of the United States' Controlled Substances Act.
Recreational use of gabapentin produces a varying number of effects including euphoria, appetite stimulation, incessant talking, physical and mental stimulation which result in varying degrees of drug-induced productivity. Diarrhea/stomach discomfort is commonly reported with heavy use.
Gabapentin is close to pregabalin(lyrica)
If you have any questions, comments, complaints, or what you experience with gabapentin, please let us know!!!!

Does this withdrawl only happen at higher doses? The honey badger who sometimes sleeps in my garbage can has gone on and off this many times in the last 6 months and is taking 600mg/day and had zero side effects when she stopped cold turkey. Everything she's read about it says it's not addictive but it does help to alleviate anxiety and depression which may increase changes of prolonged use.

Could you elaborate please?

Honey badger don't care

Last edited:
I have a quick question. I've been taking gabapentin for over two months at the dose of 1800mg spread out the day. I tried to get off but withdraws were horrendous (something between a benzo and opiate detox). I thought bc I hadn?t been on too long id be okay, but no. Now I'm doing a relatively fast taper. My question is I have a bunch of keppra, would that be of any help for detoxing off gabapentin? I have kratom but that does nothing if I haven't taken my gaba does. I will get some somas for the insomnia. If I had known, I never would have start taking this.

I don't know about keppra, but I doubt it. Haven't tried Soma either but I guess it can help a bit though I have never heard of anyone...

Never had a gabapentin wd but a few pregabalin wd, in my experience they are cross tolerant though that's argueable. Best option is IME Clonidine, a hypotensor used as well in opiates withdrawal.
I find Baclofen useful too, and then probably Phenibut should be too.
I heard someone recommending hidroxizine but I have never tried it.
Benzos and Z-drugs are better than nothing. Try not to trade addictions. And all the tapper you can do the better, I find very difficult slow tappering and always opt for a quick one, to each its own.

It definitely doesn?t lower the seizure threshold, as it?s an ANTI-SEIZURE drug. Lol. Your doctor needs to do more research obviously.

i would also be very wary of her advice/info on anything else; whatever she says immediately do research on the anything she said and compare it to the plethora of anecdotal reviews on these sites - if a high percentage of people say the same thing about a drug, and it?s different from your doctors advice, I?d consider switching doctors if possible.

Last edited:
So to make a long story short I was on 600mg?s of oxycodone a day (600mg?s) at my highest but tapered to 360 and then changed to bupe 24mg?s a day, I?m on day 30 of bupe and yesterday I was prescribed gabapentin to help with my pain. Last night I took 1,800 mg of gaba with my nightly dose of 2mg klonipin. After an hour or so I felt so good. I was amazed! After a month of bupe hell I finally got a mental brake from all the depression I was going through. This stuff was absolutely recreational for me, I played 3 tournies on pokerstars and had a blast right before the best sleep I?ve gotten in a month!! Just my 2 cents.

600mg? Of Oxycodone?..... that?s death. There?s no way you, or anyone, could take 600mg of Oxycodone. AND, there?s no way any doctor would or legally could prescribe that dose.

I think you mean 60mg?(Sixty)??

Clonidine is amazing, especially for opioid withdrawals. Makes the WDs a much easier to cope with.

It?s also great for sleep and one of the strongest pills to ever knock me out fast.

It?s also decent for anxiety, but only in doses of half a 0.1mg.... oh and it?s a tiny pill. 0.1 will knock you right out.

Another good WD drug is Hydroxyzine Pamoate. Almost like clonidine but just a little weaker - it?s a first generation antihistamine but since it causes medium to heavy sedation it?s off label for sleep, anxiety and WDs. It potentiates opiates, BUT BE CAREFUL AND KEEP ALL YOUR DOES LOW AND SAFE. SERIOUSLY!

When I take Hydroxyzine Pamoate for a potentiater, it?s a 25mg capsule. I then take 1-2 10/325 Percocets, and that combo feels like I actually took 4 of the Percocets. But like I said, if you?re not opioid tolerate THEN KEEP YOUR DOSES LOW. PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

I've been on gabapentin more then a month now, i seriously dont hope im gonna be getting bad WD when i taper off. Even tho i know i should have started the taper a while ago. The combo of meds I'm on now is making live so much more functional and pleasing that i dont really wanna stop with my current dosages but guess sooner or later (hopefully sooner) i will have to start my taper and see what happens. But so far anything is better then an opiate wd.

Happy to be here

600mg? Of Oxycodone?..... that?s death. There?s no way you, or anyone, could take 600mg of Oxycodone. AND, there?s no way any doctor would or legally could prescribe that dose.

I think you mean 60mg?(Sixty)??

I've been reading this thread, and it has evolved quite a bit from the early posts. This stuck out to me, mainly because I personally had a habit of 8 80mg OCs a day, back before the OPs came out, powdered with a microplane and taken IN. You can work your way up to almost anything dose (please don't quote that out of context) given enough time. Now, what is correct about your statement is that anyone who doesn't have an opioid tolerance or even those with, but not a high one, would almost certainly die from that large of a dose. I know this is my first post here, but I've been a bluelight and erowid reader for many years, and I consider myself a psychonaut. I've always been the one who researches and tests things first, before jumping into the deep end, and this site has provided me some excellent information over the years.

I found this thread after searching for Gabapentin, which I have a fair amount of experience in using recreationally, and what I can say for sure is that with this drug, moreso than most I've run into, it really depends on the person. Not just your own unique biology, but anything else you may be on, or anything you have done in the past. For me, gabapentin is like a mild MDMA euphoria, with OEVs/CEVs, dose dependent, and I build a tolerance pretty quickly, even with escalating doses. I haven't had the time to literally read this whole megathread, but this is what I know, apologies if I'm restating something that's already been posted (I'm almost positive I am in some way)

Dosing is most effective in 300-600mg intervals, roughly 35 minutes apart, until the desired dose is achieved.
For whatever reason, high sugar food seems to increase my body's absorption when taken together.
Gabapentin works miracles for opioid withdrawals, almost eliminating them, in my case (not from the 640mg/day OC habit I spoke of earlier)
I find that clonidine and caffeine really potentiate the positive effects I get from a mild to moderate dose (1200-3600mg)
I have a much greater craving for nicotine, and it is supremely satisfying to smoke or vape once I've come up.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can, as this just happens to be my interest for the moment, and I love sharing any information ive acquired through the years. I'm really happy I finally registered, and I hope to be here a long time. ?

It definitely doesn?t lower the seizure threshold, as it?s an ANTI-SEIZURE drug. Lol. Your doctor needs to do more research obviously.
I?d consider switching doctors if possible.

"Product Information. Neurontin (gabapentin)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.

Nervous system~

Abnormal gait, incoordination, neuralgia, tremor, dysarthria, hyperkinesia, seizures, dysarthria, paresthesia, hypesthesia, coordination abnormal, increased/decreased/absent reflexes, vertigo.

Gabapentin's big brother, Lyrica ( pregabalin) is an anti-epileptic drug/ anticonvulsant, and a far worse offender for lowering seizure threshold at higher doses.

Just today I found the potentiator! Do the usual staggered dosages but with each dose also take diphenhydramine 50mg (OTC sleep aid, or max stength Benadryl. Allow it three of the staggered doses to kick in and YOU?LL FEEL IT! Continue staggered dosing to get to the level you want.

Posts19

Just today I found the potentiator! Do the usual staggered dosages but with each dose also take diphenhydramine 50mg (OTC sleep aid, or max stength Benadryl. Allow it three of the staggered doses to kick in and YOU?LL FEEL IT! Continue staggered dosing to get to the level you want.​

This is an old post, but I want to correct it anyways. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant, and thus raises the seizure threshold.

If it burnt out neural pathways permanently then it would not be approved for long term use for epilepsy and as a mood stabilizer. We now have data on hundreds of thousands, if not millions of persons using this drug for long periods of time - I believe this would have shown up in the data by now. I could do the research myself, if I knew how doctors would diagnose and code for "burnt out neural pathways", which is not really a thing.

^Its a gray area but some believe that, say, if you detox from opiates or Benzos while taking gabapentin, sure you have an easier time stopping opiate wd but the circuitry that fueled the addiction largely remains until it "burns out" i.e: you don't get better to the extent you would with a CT withdrawal and upon stopping the gabapentin, all the symptoms of the original addiction remain.

I'm not necessarily sure if thats true or not. And gabapentin even when it's abused rarely results in a true WD. You'd need to abuse it for a long period of time and actively be using it to mask the symptoms of another drugs withdrawal. The thing is, what I've seen is that alot of drug users don't necessarily even realize it's withdrawal at first, they might think it's anxiety or depression or recurring chronic pain, stress. Which if you abuse any drug enough it becomes indistinguishable from those conditions. It does make the entire process more manageable since gabapentin is cheap as chips and in no short supply and legal. If it can cause "tremors" it can cause seizures as well- I've felt this side effect with chronic dosing of phenibut and chronically dosing lower doses of alcohol for opiate/meth p.a.w.s. They feel "healing" or beneficial to be high on them because they reduce wd and side effects of long term drug abuse, but that's precisely why they're addictive. And quite frankly they're handed out like candy, I don't care if they're supposedly not addictive, noone should be taking a pill that gets them high when they're trying to withdraw for good from opiates or benzos

Last edited:
Just today I found the potentiator! Do the usual staggered dosages but with each dose also take diphenhydramine 50mg (OTC sleep aid, or max stength Benadryl. Allow it three of the staggered doses to kick in and YOU?LL FEEL IT! Continue staggered dosing to get to the level you want.
imo, gabapentin doesnt need a potentiator. its plenty strong with the staggering method, and the right dose.

also, imo, FUCK rls.

So I've eventually got to trying this drug this past fortnight. A brief summary of effects so far:

The time it didn't work

I bought some of this to help with phenibut tapering, and obviously tried to chase the high. I took 2100mg and it just kind of stopped working at some point and completely wore off (after 2-3 hours). I'm not sure if this is something to do with the absorption point somehow actually blocking the effects - anyone?

My other theory is that I basically took too much too early, so it simply stopped gaining momentum due to the maximum absorption point being reached, and then a line or two of ketamine blocked the effects. Now this might sound strange, but I have found that with phenibut a single line of ketamine can completely block low-moderate effects for the entire day. Anyway, it left me totally bored so I took some 2c-b and had a life changing experience about why I was bored. Plan to write a trip report about that, but on with the gabapentin summary. FTR, yes I did stagger my doses by 30-40 minutes and ingested fat sources/carbonated drinks.

The time it did work

The other day I took four 300mg doses. They were spaced by 35 minutes apart, other than the last - which was 42 minutes (I lost track of time). 1200mg in total. About 1-2 hours later I had 1500mg aniracetam & 300mg CDP choline.

What an incredible, totally functional drug experience. I have ADHD (inattentive type) and I felt so focussed and motivated, constantly thinking what to do next, in the best way possible. I went to the gym, and totally blitzed my workout, doing everything to (seeming) perfection. I took a detour to run to my field for liberty caps (psychedelic mushrooms) and my mood was just so incredibly positive and uplifted. I was totally socially functional, cracking jokes/flirting with the woman that served me in the post office, eye contact and smiles at people I walked past, stuff like that. I felt socially in a very dominant (but not arrogant) position; just well on form, basically. I remember taking the piss out of a (very sarcastic) lad I know at the gym who was standing about (again) and implied I thought he was the receptionist, which gained a few laughs at him. Everybody even clapped at my efforts!!! (no not really; honestly that last parts a joke)

The body high feels to me a bit like a just sort of low level but very present glow. I wouldn't be surprised if people are appalled at the comparison, but the body high feels like a low dose or come up phase of mushrooms or LSD. Kind of like an a-typical energetic flow. It is also comparable to a working dose of quality rhodiola rosea, and I guess it also has similarities to about 1000mg phenibut - but the body high isn't quite the same, and is noticeably different. This feels more, dare I say, organic, not at all pushy or ampy/stimmy, but somewhat stimulating and cognitively enhancing.

So yeah, absolutely quality drug. I'm on it now and it's not as powerful; the prior experience was three days ago so I assume I still have tolerance. I've taken a bit more and it started working more effectively.

It's a shame I can't do this every day, but tolerance will literally not allow that, so I have no fear of addiction (although obviously that's still a possibility). Very nice, functional drug though.

I'm interested though - I'm sure I've seen people say that higher doses feel a bit like a cross between ecstasy/being drunk. Is this correct? What sort of dose is required, because I had nothing of the sort at 2100mg.

When you take a big dose - like 4000mg, without any tolerance, it feels like a cross between ecstasy/being drunk. If you can, get the 800mg tablets they are the best for getting fucked up on.

^ Without seriously staggering that much you're only going to dose your toilet as it passes right through you. AA transporters saturate quickly.

So what's the consensus on using this for benzo or thieno withdrawal? Stuck at a mid dose etizolam with nothing but itself and gabapentin to alleviate the discomfort and I'm more inclined to rapid taper while taking up to a gram of neurontin a day. Its an anti epileptic and when I inpatient detoxed from benzos I was fed this on the side. 200Mg 4x a day.

I plan to just ride out a week and eat neurontin 4x a day to help me not seize during a rapid taper with etiz. I never have seized yet but this is one hell of a binge I've been on say 300+mg etiz over 1 or 2 months daily dosing no breaks. With heavy near daily drinking on top.