t3 - cytomel

rosee

Bluelighter
hi, i am currently taking 40 mcg of cytomel (t3 hormone) a day (2 x 20 mcg) and so far am loving it. Anyone else have experience with this?

I am female and trying to lose weight and it seems to be working. I dont want to cause longterm thyroid problems though, which concerns me a bit.

How long have you been running it?

It's VERY important that you start at a low dose and gradually raise it...and gradually lower it. Liothyronine Sodium (T3) should not be used longer than 3 weeks at a time. 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Read below...

If you are using the LA Pharma Cytomel 100mcg Tablets (100mcg T3) you should take them like this.

Days 1 & 2 - Take 1/4 of a tablet per day
Days 3 & 4 - Take a 1/2 of a tablet per day
Days 4, 5 & 6 - Take 3/4 of a tablet per day
Days 7 - 14 - Take 1 tablet per day
Days 15, 16 & 17 - Reduce to 3/4 of a tablet per day
Days 18 & 19 - Reduce to 1/2 of a tablet per day
Days 20 & 21 - Reduce to 1/4 of a tablet per day

Then stop for three weeks.

Of course if you are using the expensive 25mcg Tablets the you can use this same cycle, but each 1/4 tablet = 1 x 25mcg tablet.

Remember… even if you are using Ketotifen (which allows longer use of Clenbuterol) the maximum cycle of T3 is three weeks.

/V

Thanks for your reply, Victor. I am using 20 mcg tabs and started last thursday so been on them almost a week. I will be sure to only be on them for no longer than 3 weeks. I am actually using them with phentermine as I could not tolerate clenbuterol that well. I started on 20 mcg, then worked up to 30 and now on 40 and I honestly feel good on it. Its like it was just what I needed. I only fear coming off them that I am going to feel like crap.

OK, sounds like you know what you are doing. Forgive me if I gave you information that you are all ready aware of.

And if you taper off them correctly, you should be just fine at the end. Best of luck, keep us posted!

/V

Its all good, Victor, I appreciate the reply. Some say you can stay on them for 4-6 weeks but I think i will stick to 3 weeks and see how i go.

I just feel like i want to stay on them longterm as they are helping with depression and overeating issues I have had. Be good to find a doctor who would prescribe them.

Has anyone tried this stuff and at what doses and how have you found it?

Females are much more susceptable to thyroid issues due to use of T3, so tread carefully, as a blown thyroid essentially means you'll never be skinny ever.
T3 is no magic bullet... you are using T3 with Duromine (phentermine) which usually implies that weight will be lost in the 3 weeks the meds are run, but it's no different from starving yourself except that it's quicker. So if you don't eat properly for 3 weeks whatever weight you lose will come back because 1) you'll be starving, especially with no Duromine in your system and 2) your metabolism has slowed b/c it is not making T3.
The point is this; you will not lose weight permanently unless you use t3 in conjunction with exercise

^agreed, use of these meds without exercise is pointless. There will definetly be a rebound effect when you come off... Just make sure this is when you are strictist with your diet.

Thanks for both your advice. I am exercising and eating right on this stuff and I can tell it is working. I am only taking 20 mcg morning and night (40 mcg total per day) and I will stick at this until I begin to taper off so I am only on it for a total of 3 weeks. Do you think this will cause permanent damage? I know you probably cannot say but it concerns me. I am liking what it is doing so much I would stay on it longterm if i could.

Thanks

I think you will be fine as long as you don't abuse it and stick between the 3 week guideline.

/V

A lot of misinformation in this thread. T3 has been shown to be extremely safe. There's no need to ramp up or down. One can use it as long as they please. Women are in no more danger than men when supplementing with t3.

Here's a read from, IMO, the most brilliant mind to ever to study the use of AAS. http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/karl_hoffman/thyroid

If you want some actual studies, I could post up countless. Just say the word if the article isn't enough.

Vic, Nandi aka Karl Hoffman, was BigCat's mentor.

From my research, the main and most important reason to taper up and down with T3 is to avoid a crash or a shock to the thyroid function.

Doses need to be built up over time and tapered off again. More so for cytomel than for any other drug in existence. I also have read that guys are taking it for long durations without tapering up and down. I love the stuff, I use it with clen in the summer to hit those low single digit BF numbers. Having spoken with an endocrinologist, he agreed with me that tapering up and down is the safest way to use the stuff.

But you are correct, there are a lot of conflicting studies out there about T3 dosing, but the reasoning behind tapering on and off makes a whole lot more sense to me....especially having it heard from a professional endocrinologist.

Drug Class: Synthetic thyroid hormone
Average Dose: 25-100 mcg/day
Comments: Significant suppression of Thyroid function during use

Cytomel is the popularly recognized brand name for the drug liothyronine sodium. This is not an anabolic steroid but a thyroid hormone. It is used medically to treat cases of thyroid insufficiency, obesity, certain metabolic disorders and fatigue. Specifically this drug is a pharmaceutical preparation of the natural thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T-3). When administered, Cytomel increases the patient's metabolism. The result is an increased rate of cellular activity (noted by a more rapid utilization of carbohydrates, fats and proteins). Bodybuilders are particularly attracted to this drug for its ability to burn off body excess fat. Most often utilized during contest preparation, one can greatly decrease the amount of stored fat without being forced to severely restrict calories. To this end Cytomel is commonly used in conjunction with Clenbuterol and can produce extremely dramatic results. This combination has become very popular in recent years, no doubt responsible for many "ripped" on-stage physiques. It is also noted by many that when thyroid hormones are taken in conjunction with steroids, an increased anabolic effect can be seen (noticeably greater than if the steroids are used alone). This is likely due to faster utilization of proteins by the body, increasing the rate for new muscle accumulation.

Caution should be taken if one is considering using this drug. Cytomel comes with an extensive list of warnings and precautions which are not to be ignored. Side effects include, but are not limited to, heart palpitations, agitation, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, headaches, and psychic/metabolic disorders. It is a powerful hormone, and one that could potentially alter the normal functioning of the body if misused. When taking Cytomel, one must remember to increase the dosage slowly. Generally one 25mcg tablet is taken on the first day, and the dosage is thereafter increased by one tablet every three of four days for a maximum dosage of 100mcg. This will help the body adjust to the increased thyroid hormone, hopefully avoiding any sudden "shock" to the system. The daily dose should also be split evenly throughout the day, in an effort to keep blood levels steadier. Women are more sensitive to the side effects of Cytomel than men, and usually choose not to take no more than 50mcg daily.

It is important to stress that a cycle should last no longer than 6 weeks and it should never be halted abruptly. As slowly as the dosage was built up it should also be lowered, one tablet every 3-4 days. Taking Cytomel for too long and/or at too high a dosage can result in a permanent thyroid deficiency. After doing such, one might need to be treated with a drug like Cytomel for life. It is also a good idea to first consult your physician and have your thyroid function tested. An undiagnosed hyperfunction would not mix well with the added hormone. An athlete should also be sure never to purchase an injectable form of the drug. It is generally an emergency room product, much too powerful for athletic use. Since T-3 is the most powerful thyroid hormone athletes are using, this is generally not the starting point for a beginner. Before using such a powerful item, it is a good idea to become familiar with a weaker substance. The highly popular Triacana is very mild, allowing the user much more latitude (from severe side effects) than Cytomel. An in-between point is Synthroid (synthetic T-4), still weaker in action than Cytomel. Once the user is ready however, the fat burning effect of this hormone can be extremely dramatic.

/V

I am curently in the middle of a Liquid Clen and Liquid T3 cycle to cut. I started the clen at 40 and am now up to 120(where I will stay) The T3 I only take 80 mostly because it is notorious for muscle loss as well. I did not want to combine it with a test to combat the muscle loss. I take both daily in morning and then do a early morning fat-burn cardio session on an empty stomach. Still need to eat very clean. I am 3 weeks in and have gone from 214 to 203. I should hit 190 upon completion.

Drug Class: Synthetic thyroid hormone
Average Dose: 25-100 mcg/day
Comments: Significant suppression of Thyroid function during use

Cytomel is the popularly recognized brand name for the drug liothyronine sodium. This is not an anabolic steroid but a thyroid hormone. It is used medically to treat cases of thyroid insufficiency, obesity, certain metabolic disorders and fatigue. Specifically this drug is a pharmaceutical preparation of the natural thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T-3). When administered, Cytomel increases the patient's metabolism. The result is an increased rate of cellular activity (noted by a more rapid utilization of carbohydrates, fats and proteins). Bodybuilders are particularly attracted to this drug for its ability to burn off body excess fat. Most often utilized during contest preparation, one can greatly decrease the amount of stored fat without being forced to severely restrict calories. To this end Cytomel is commonly used in conjunction with Clenbuterol and can produce extremely dramatic results. This combination has become very popular in recent years, no doubt responsible for many "ripped" on-stage physiques. It is also noted by many that when thyroid hormones are taken in conjunction with steroids, an increased anabolic effect can be seen (noticeably greater than if the steroids are used alone). This is likely due to faster utilization of proteins by the body, increasing the rate for new muscle accumulation.

Caution should be taken if one is considering using this drug. Cytomel comes with an extensive list of warnings and precautions which are not to be ignored. Side effects include, but are not limited to, heart palpitations, agitation, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea, headaches, and psychic/metabolic disorders. It is a powerful hormone, and one that could potentially alter the normal functioning of the body if misused. When taking Cytomel, one must remember to increase the dosage slowly. Generally one 25mcg tablet is taken on the first day, and the dosage is thereafter increased by one tablet every three of four days for a maximum dosage of 100mcg. This will help the body adjust to the increased thyroid hormone, hopefully avoiding any sudden "shock" to the system. The daily dose should also be split evenly throughout the day, in an effort to keep blood levels steadier. Women are more sensitive to the side effects of Cytomel than men, and usually choose not to take no more than 50mcg daily.

It is important to stress that a cycle should last no longer than 6 weeks and it should never be halted abruptly. As slowly as the dosage was built up it should also be lowered, one tablet every 3-4 days. Taking Cytomel for too long and/or at too high a dosage can result in a permanent thyroid deficiency. After doing such, one might need to be treated with a drug like Cytomel for life. It is also a good idea to first consult your physician and have your thyroid function tested. An undiagnosed hyperfunction would not mix well with the added hormone. An athlete should also be sure never to purchase an injectable form of the drug. It is generally an emergency room product, much too powerful for athletic use. Since T-3 is the most powerful thyroid hormone athletes are using, this is generally not the starting point for a beginner. Before using such a powerful item, it is a good idea to become familiar with a weaker substance. The highly popular Triacana is very mild, allowing the user much more latitude (from severe side effects) than Cytomel. An in-between point is Synthroid (synthetic T-4), still weaker in action than Cytomel. Once the user is ready however, the fat burning effect of this hormone can be extremely dramatic.

/V
Let's address the last part of your post first: This passage doesn't mean a thing to me. First, there's no credit given to the author and second, there's no references. I don't know if joeschmoefromeskimo wrote this piece while trippin' without ever researching the topic.

From my research, the main and most important reason to taper up and down with T3 is to avoid a crash or a shock to the thyroid function.

Doses need to be built up over time and tapered off again. More so for cytomel than for any other drug in existence. I also have read that guys are taking it for long durations without tapering up and down. I love the stuff, I use it with clen in the summer to hit those low single digit BF numbers. Having spoken with an endocrinologist, he agreed with me that tapering up and down is the safest way to use the stuff.

But you are correct, there are a lot of conflicting studies out there about T3 dosing, but the reasoning behind tapering on and off makes a whole lot more sense to me....especially having it heard from a professional endocrinologist.
The thyroid hormones bounce back within TWO weeks of the cessation of a t-3 cycle, regardless of length of use AND dose. Furthermore, the body stores t-4 which it converts to t-3 (80% of t-3 is created via said conversion). Thus, stored t-4 is used by the body during the two week recovery phase post cycle.

"In 1951, Greer reported the pattern of recovery of thyroid function after stopping suppressive treatment with thyroid hormone in euthyroid [normal] subjects based on sequential measurements of their thyroidal uptake of radioiodine. He observed that after withdrawal of exogenous thyroid therapy, thyroid function, in terms of radioiodine uptake, returned to normal in most subjects within two weeks. He further observed that thyroid function returned as rapidly in those subjects whose glands had been depressed by several years of thyroid medication as it did in those whose gland had been depressed for only a few days"

N Engl J Med 1975 Oct 2;293(14):681-4 Recovery of pituitary thyrotropic function after withdrawal of prolonged thyroid-suppression therapy. Vagenakis AG, Braverman LE, Azizi F, Portinay GI, Ingbar SH.

He observed that after withdrawal of exogenous thyroid therapy, thyroid function, in terms of radioiodine uptake, returned to normal in most subjects within two weeks.

I understand what you are saying and I can see the reasoning. But, "MOST" is not good enough for me to change the way I use it. I've used it time and time again and the method I use works for me.

Having said that, I did some poking around and this is really a long argued debate. But, what you are saying seems to concur with more recent studies. I've read some of the articles, and you do sound correct with how long T3 can be used. I have always been warned about the use of T3 and how it should be tapered up and down. And yes, it looks like one can get away running it for far longer than 3 weeks.

Like I said, if my method wasn't effective...I try something else. But seeing how it isn't broke, I'm not going to fix it. I can't wait to further discuss this with my MD. Thanks for sharing this info, I'm going to keep my ears open from others who are using it long term. Have you used it on a long term basis before...or at all?

/V

No need to taper t3 there have been a few studies of late which discard that it does any harm to not taper at the end of a cycle, however I personally would just to be safe but I know many many amateur bb'ers who have have not tapered and have not had a problem. I'll try and dig out the studies for you. It is daft though to take T3 and not some sort of anabolic support as T3 isn't picky about what it eats as energy.

How long have you been running it?

It's VERY important that you start at a low dose and gradually raise it...and gradually lower it. Liothyronine Sodium (T3) should not be used longer than 3 weeks at a time. 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Read below...

If you are using the LA Pharma Cytomel 100mcg Tablets (100mcg T3) you should take them like this.

Days 1 & 2 - Take 1/4 of a tablet per day
Days 3 & 4 - Take a 1/2 of a tablet per day
Days 4, 5 & 6 - Take 3/4 of a tablet per day
Days 7 - 14 - Take 1 tablet per day
Days 15, 16 & 17 - Reduce to 3/4 of a tablet per day
Days 18 & 19 - Reduce to 1/2 of a tablet per day
Days 20 & 21 - Reduce to 1/4 of a tablet per day

Then stop for three weeks.

Of course if you are using the expensive 25mcg Tablets the you can use this same cycle, but each 1/4 tablet = 1 x 25mcg tablet.

Remember… even if you are using Ketotifen (which allows longer use of Clenbuterol) the maximum cycle of T3 is three weeks.

/V

I thought that was old school T3 use. Tapering isnt really needed

Has anyone tried this stuff and at what doses and how have you found it?

I am a large bodybuilder and I use up to 100mcg a day. It helps shedding the fat, obviously. The side effects are next to none unless you overdose. The way to tell your max dose is when your heart beat gets too fast or too hard and it keeps you up at night. Usually for a lady about 75µg is a good max.

And you can take T3 as long as you want, just taper up and down. Oh, and you DO have to take it 60 minutes before your first meal or it will simply not get absorbed.