• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

^Thanks for all the good info.
Unfortunately, my "official" education is nothing. I never went to college.
I don't really want to teach anyway.
I will definitely look for that book.
Cool that you are also interested in chile, the other place I HAVE to go is south America, it's calling my name.

so, how much does it cost to get by in your case Jam?

would it be reasonable to go out to teach in Thailand, saving money, to then go on to teach/visit other nearby countries?

that is, can you make enough money to survive, and save up for travelling?

Jamshyd said:
There are three main requirements for teaching English abroad, in order of importance:
- A University Degree (Bachelor's at least)
- "Native" English Speaker (whatever the hell this is, I have issues with this one)
- A TEFL/TESOL degree

I totally agree with you on the ambiguity or general semantic issues with the "native speaker" requirement. Obviously, what they mean is that they want someone whose mother tongue is English, but there isn't exactly a way of verifying that. I had a few friends who were teaching in Korea with me for whom English was a second and third language. They were both French Canadians and one of them had learned Spanish abroad before he learned English. However, they will assume that - if you don't have an non-English accent when they speak to you over the phone - that you are a "native speaker." This whole thing had a negative effect on some teachers I taught with in Korea who were first generation Korean-Canadians who decided to go to Korea and had basic knowledge of Korean...in the past, they got paid less even though they were "native speakers." Luckily, this sort of discrimination is being phased out since they are starting to recognise the advantages of receiving an education from someone who has a good grasp of the culture and language of the country, but who speaks English perfectly. Sorry, that was a bit of a rant.

You will be able to find jobs without a degree, deja, but they will be shady. You can get work legally in Taiwan if you have a 2-year diploma, but in most other countries you need a Bachelor's degree to get a VISA. If you don't have a working VISA, you'll have to leave the country often to make VISA runs, which is shady business in and of itself. You can get caught quite easily if you don't cover all of your bases. I'm not sure about SE Asia, so maybe Jamshyd can help me out here. :)

Jamshyd said:
In the past, you used to be able to teach English simply by being able to speak it. Long gone are these days. Now most schools asks for at least one or a combination of the above. That said, if you're a girl and you look "western," you will find a job much easier, and you can always luck up. As for how you find work, it is usually through the internet. http://www.eslcafe.com/ is a good start although there are better country-specific ones. The big TEFL countries currently are: China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Thailand (and maybe Hong Kong).

I actually think this is a move in the right direction. Knowing how to speak English does not make a good teacher.

I have to disagree on one point though: the advantageous nature of being female. In many countries in Asia, males are more likely to get positions of power. My male co-worker in Korea - who performed the same supervisory duties as his wife (they were both head teachers) - was paid significantly more a month than she was. This was only a year ago. If you are female, they will be more likely to think that you should be teaching younger kids - ECE and elementary - whereas they seem to prefer male teachers for older kids and adults. It does depend on your school, of course. I don't want to stereotype, but this is a pattern I noticed. I think things are different in a lot of countries, though. I think females are also seen as more caring; thus, as better teachers. I've heard that they prefer female teachers in Thailand because they've had scary experiences with some of the male teachers there? No idea if this is true or not. Probably heresay.

Oh, and Hong Kong is a little tougher to get work in, as they already speak decent English. Same situation as India, except they speak English well there and most of the jobs for native speakers involve training call-centre employees.....??? This is what I've heard. I could be wrong.

Okay I talk too much.

Last edited:
Oh! Let me add that having a degree doesn't make a good teacher either. I think teachers should have certification in order to actually have some idea of how to teach.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think any of these things necessarily makes a good teacher, but unfortunately, a lot of Asians countries do. You have a point about positions of power w.r.t. women, though.

As for jobs without a degree, that is a possibility, yes, but it is becoming very difficult. Also gone from many countries are "border runs" with visas this tear. I know at least that Korea and Thailand have changed their laws to cut down on this...

I am just frustrated at the fate of the EFL business between Brit certifiers who are trying everything they could to keep the business exclusive to Brits, and clueless Asians who misunderstand the Brits and start making ludicrous criteria for teaching English: suddenly, the date you received your Canadian citizenship has more to do with being a good teacher than your language, experience, or qualifications.

Idler: Since I have just started with Thailand, it is a bit foggy. I can estimate, though, that I personally do not need more than $5/day to be content here (that includes 3 meals a day, beer, and transportation). It doesn't include rent, which is $150/month anyway :).

Unusual Travel Ideas

I've been reading up quite a bit on traveling and it occurs to me that the idea of going to Mongolia would be fascinating. The culture seems interesting, plus the concept of going on an adventure to somewhere that isn't the first intuitive vacation choice is one that is rather cool.

So, I'm wondering, have any of you traveled to unusual/inaccessible/just plain bizarre locales? How does one even go about planning a trip to a place with only a small amount of tourism? And, finally, has anyone considered spending spring break in Antarctica or space (wikitravel even has an entry for both)? I don't think I'd enjoy zero-gravity but Antarctica seems like it could be nice in summer...

Mongolia is far from unusual, and it's definitely not far off the beaten path. Many friends who have traveled in China have also included Mongolia in their trip, though most say it's rather boring steppe and rough conditions.
For true adventure, head to West Africa, Central Asia, or the northern reaches of South America.

Unusual to you may be very normal to a regular back-packer.

I'd say Laos before it is ruined

TheSpade said:
Everbody goes to Laos these days mate and have done for a while.

They only ever seem to pass through Laos though - I think the idea is 'go to Laos' and stay in Laos. I'd struggle to describe Laos despite visiting the country (for about 2 days) - presumably there are reasons to go there and stay put eDDe9?

East Germany before the wall came down and 2 years after the wall came down.

SpellmanT7 said:
They only ever seem to pass through Laos though - I think the idea is 'go to Laos' and stay in Laos. I'd struggle to describe Laos despite visiting the country (for about 2 days) - presumably there are reasons to go there and stay put eDDe9?

There is not so much to do in Laos. You can only watch rice grow for so long before you get bored out of your mind. If your idea of a good time is watching friends and sitting in a tube while stoned and drinking Beer Lao you could stay for a lifetime, but threre really isn't too much else going on.

I've done quite a few short jaunts to Laos. Riding a motorbike all the way to the Chinese border, the tourist trail from Huay Xai to LPB and Vieng Vieng, and Si Phan Don. It gets boring, honestly. I've also spent time in Vientiane to for visa applications and the like. Still fucking boring.

Go somewhere fun, not Laos.

Doesn't mean its ruined yet.

There's still plenty of other places less touched by tourism / backpackers than Laos.

It's hardly an 'unusual travel idea'. If you we're suggesting Myanmar instead that might be a bit more off the beaten track but Laos is firmly on the SE Asia backpacker trail and has been for a while.

Laos definitely isn't an unusual place to go, but regardless it's still beautiful and hasn't been totally overrun by tourists yet.

presumably there are reasons to go there and stay put eDDe9
Definitely. I spent about 2 weeks there and felt like I'd barely been anywhere yet. Must places to go are Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng (you'll either love or hate the place but the scenery backdrop is stunning), Plain of Jars, 4000 islands, Savannket.

There is not so much to do in Laos. You can only watch rice grow for so long before you get bored out of your mind. If your idea of a good time is watching friends and sitting in a tube while stoned and drinking Beer Lao you could stay for a lifetime, but threre really isn't too much else going on.
I'll agree about what you said about Friends bars and tubing. Easy to get away from that crap though. The nice thing about Laos is that there isn't much going on!! Did not rate Vientiane much though, felt more like sleazy town.

Greenland may be a rather unusual place to go.

Last edited:
Ice Land.. amazing place, but very expensive

Anyway, about Laos.. there's plenty of temples that you won't find in any Lonely Planet book like you do with Thailand ones and there's the Buddah Garden. Plus the Gibbon Project is pretty interesting

^You seem to be on this Lao kick. The OP asked for an unusual holiday idea, and Lao is far from unusual... you can go on listing all the places in Lao that you liked, but it's still full of backpackers (who think they are 'hardcore' because it's Lao).
The country is full of twats. Temples get boring after a week. Once you have seen a few, they are all the same. It'd be like a European visiting the Sistine Chapel, and then every other church in Italy as a holiday. It's a church for fucks sake.

If you are really asking for something unusual, stay away from south east asia, all of europe, east and soutern africa, india/nepal, central america, or the west coast f south america. go some place that doesn't have a tourist infrastructure built to cater to westerner's needs. Like I said before, west africa, central asia/pakistan, or brazil/guyana/bolivia/columbia.

Sign up to do a philanthropy type trip. You travel, see the world, and get to help those in need in the process. It's like Peace Corps without the long-term commitment. Maybe you can help out in Myanmar when it's safer, help the red cross out in over-populated sections of India, learn drumming or the mysterious beauty of the Kora in Mali?

My future travels will be centered around meeting people, sharing good karma, and studying their music. Ethnmusicology travels!

Unfortunately, most anywhere you look someone's been there before you, but there are modest little places you can visit that aren't overrun by tourism. Visit some of the SMALLER countries in Eastern Europe, like Moldova or Albania... Macedonia. There is some spectacular and ancient architecture there, and if you dislike where you're at, more populous and exciting places are only a train-ride away.