• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Oxycodone and serotonin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudos

Bluelighter
How does Oxycodone affect serotonin? I presume it does, since it can cause serotonin syndrome with SSRI's. Which receptors does it affect?

I did some google searches to no end, but I'm not really qualified to search for these things:|.

Mechanism of action

A group of Australian researchers has proposed (based on a 1997 study in rats) that oxycodone, unlike morphine (the effect of which is mediated by μ-opioid receptors), acts on κ-opioid receptors.[52] Further research by this group indicates the drug appears to be a κ2b-opioid agonist.[53] However, this has been disputed, primarily on the basis that oxycodone produces effects typical of μ-opioid agonists.[54]

Research by a Japanese group suggests that the effect of oxycodone is mediated by different receptors in different situations. Specifically, in diabetic mice the κ-opioid receptor appears to be involved in the antinociceptive effects of oxycodone[55], while in non-diabetic mice the μ1-opioid receptor seems to be primarily responsible for these effects.[56]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone#Pharmacology

The reason that SS is a potential side-effect of mixing Oxy with Serotonergic drugs has less to do with its serotonergic affinity, and more to do with its enzyme inhibition (identical to the grapefruitjuice effect).

The reason that SS is a potential side-effect of mixing Oxy with Serotonergic drugs has less to do with its serotonergic affinity, and more to do with its enzyme inhibition (identical to the grapefruitjuice effect).

Refs? Thorough explanation?

Oxycodone feels very different to many other opioids in that it is very stimulating.. in a good way. Could this be delta opioid agonism? Delta agonism is meant to release dopamine (and for that matter, will be used in the treatment of ischaemic heart disease in the future due to its ability to prolong the life of tissue deprived of blood, mark my words).

William S. Burroughs, writer, who wrote to Allen Ginsberg in 1954 that he was injecting "Eukodol" (apparently meaning "Eukodal" or oxycodone) every two hours, and in other correspondence and writings, speculates about the effect of the drug's chemical structure on its addictiveness, and its subjective effects compared with morphine, noting that some experts had believed since the early 1930s that the oxygen bridge on the molecule imparted cocaine-like elements to the side effect profile.

Source

Only two drugs on their own have produced strong nystagmus (eye-wiggles) for me. MDMA and oxycodone.

Only two drugs on their own have produced strong nystagmus (eye-wiggles) for me. MDMA and oxycodone.

Hmm, drawing a serotonin conclusion from that? I think it may be the muscle relaxing aspect of oxycodone, are you experienced with other opioids? 5-HTP always did something to me, I forget what it was but remember it was an unappealing effect so I try not to take it. L-tyrosine (precursor to dopamine) makes me more obsessive, over people, over relationships, and I remember the one positive aspect to 5-HTP (the natural amino-acid precursor to serotonin) was that it made me more "care-free" with being validated by others (less need to be) and less obsessive about my relationships (less 'needy')... this wasn't a one time noticed thing but a consistent effect it had for me noted over two to three years of experimenting with such amino-acids.... Sorry, a rather off topic rant.

I highly doubt that any opioid in even the same class as oxy affects serotonin significantly. Their are no studies with evidence to support serotoninergic effects, and personally I don't feel them.

Hmm, drawing a serotonin conclusion from that? I think it may be the muscle relaxing aspect of oxycodone, are you experienced with other opioids?

I'm not sure what conclusion I draw from it, just sayin. Other opiods I've tried include codeine, tramadol, morphine and fentanyl, but I've only experienced the nystagmus on oxycodone and only while my tolerance was low, doesn't happen anymore.

im convinced oxycodone hits serotonin by some weird mechanism we dont know about, anyone have any ideas how.

Im just suprised because most synthetics derived from thebaine hit NE some but not serotonin so much beyond the normal disinhibition of gaba neurons in the dorsal raphe caused by all opiates.

Also, its well known the non-synthetic opiates like morphine increase serotonin in the forebrain/hypothalamus/striatum (one reason why they are more sedating than the synthetics and better for analgesia).

Oxycodone is also considered more addicting than most opiates, i have noticed i feel more loved up on it than other drugs.

I used to have a hydrocodone habit, but I occasionally took oxy. Honestly I never noticed any significant difference between the two other than dosages. That's just me though.

Hmm, drawing a serotonin conclusion from that? I think it may be the muscle relaxing aspect of oxycodone, are you experienced with other opioids? 5-HTP always did something to me, I forget what it was but remember it was an unappealing effect so I try not to take it. L-tyrosine (precursor to dopamine) makes me more obsessive, over people, over relationships, and I remember the one positive aspect to 5-HTP (the natural amino-acid precursor to serotonin) was that it made me more "care-free" with being validated by others (less need to be) and less obsessive about my relationships (less 'needy')... this wasn't a one time noticed thing but a consistent effect it had for me noted over two to three years of experimenting with such amino-acids.... Sorry, a rather off topic rant.

I didn't know it had known muscle relaxing effects. That explains why I have fewer hand and leg spasms when taking OxyContin (as prescribed) for my spine problems.

Frequently, damaged spinal nerves cause the muscles of my hands, legs, and feet to contort very severely. These are not "charlie horses." My big toe gets pulled upward 90 degrees vertically from my foot by the spasms, for instance. The spasms are horribly painful and have even caused a bone to break, one time. It's like being tortured.

When I had a prescription for OxyContin, those muscle spasms occurred far less often. I could also walk better and could sit in a chair without pain for the first time in 10 or 15 years. But due to others who use such drugs recreationally, my pain clinic stopped giving the stronger opiates on a long term basis. So I'm miserable again.

This thread was last posted in on 2010, please don't necro threads, especially just to complain that you don't have opioids any more. Most posters will have moved on from the topic or left BL entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.