• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's the best ADD/ADHD medicine?

what kind of weird side effects? i used dexadrine for a while, loved it but eventually abused it. Now ive been on none of them for a year and am depressed.

I can totally recommend Ritalin for ADD - the effects on my brother-in-law were excellent, with no side effects that he ever experienced.

Equally, for depression with my BIL, he was prescribed Lexapro, which has a very calming, upward effect that is not a savage, overwhelming feeling to it.
The different strengths of Lexapro can start with 5mg, 10mg & 20mg.
For moderate depression, doctors usually start you on 10mg, and can adjust dosage as needed - consult with you GP to see what they recommend, let us know how you go, and best of luck with it. :)

what kind of weird side effects? i used dexadrine for a while, loved it but eventually abused it. Now ive been on none of them for a year and am depressed.

Abdominal pain mostly, it got really severe two months in and I had to stop taking it.

yes, moar! also any non prescription drug suggestions would be pretty cool...

There are so many because different people can react very differently to the same drug. You have to find what works best for you.

I've been on 20-25mg Desoxyn (d,-methamphetamine) a day everyday for over 2.5 years, and I honestly can't tell any signs of neurotoxicity in myself, nor can anyone I've asked. My cognitive performance scores haven't changed, IQ test results stay the same, and people say my personality is the same. I am just very good about what I eat, and I also take a variety of supplements and nootropics to help mediate any potential damage that might occur.

I was on Dexedrine for years before the Desoxyn, and I would say Dexedrine is the second-best medication for this, bar none. Third place would probably be a tie between: Vyvanse, lisdexamfetamine, a prodrug for delivery of dextroamphetamine, and Focalin, d,-methylphenidate, as even though I HATE Ritalin/Concerta, having just the dextrorotatory isomer seems to change the feel of the drug completely.

bupropion - a norepinephrine / dopamine reuptake inhibitor - worked pretty well for me, the coverage wasn't as strong as adderall but it was 24/7 / whenever I was awake. Also upped my sex drive a lot.

Recently switched back to Adderall because I thought I might try to handle not abusing it, couldn't so I flushed it all down the toilet and am going back to bupropion.

you forgot daytrana (the methylphenidate/ritalin patch), which I am currently testing... Will let you know how it goes.

Thus far I've preffered vyvanse the most, and coming in second, another not on your list- bupropion.

I just don't like the full stomach/empty stomach dilemma etc...

Doesn't anyone find it weird that everyone is taking super strong psycho-stimulants that can be potentially harmful to the brain because they have been diagnosed with "ADD" ?

I mean I've abused stimulants and they sure make me feel GREAT in terms of working and getting organized (I also think that I am, "ADD", whatever that means). But I do not think stimulants are the answer at all =\

I still feel my best when I physically excersize, eat the right amount of calories and intake of nutrition and take supplaments like fish oil.

I think stimulants aren't really going to help at all. I'm stunned they are still giving them to kids. Seems like the easy way out.

And yes I do have extreme problems with procrastination, laziness and disorganization as well.

I mean, the western world has become ridiculously anti meth. It is seen as the most evil drug to date, with ad campaigns and harm prevention everywhere....Yet we hand out amphetamines like candy to people who can't concentrate. wut.

What are we going to do in 20+ years? Still take stimulants (Perhaps safer ones by then?), or go off them and suffer even worse for all the years spent on drugs.?

Perhaps this is meant for a differen't subject though, and just to contribute....

I find dexedrine to be the smoothest. I feel calm and collected, like I could do anything with ease. Ritalin is too jumpy and the only other stimulant I have tried is street meth and 4MAR.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone find it weird that everyone is taking super strong psycho-stimulants that can be potentially harmful to the brain because they have been diagnosed with "ADD" ?

I mean I've abused stimulants and they sure make me feel GREAT in terms of working and getting organized (I also think that I am, "ADD", whatever that means). But I do not think stimulants are the answer at all =\

i couldn't agree more. i think stimulants can be a useful tool in terms of getting yourself into the kind of habits that are ultimately going to allow you to deal with your ADD w/o drugs (structuring your time, making lists, avoiding distractions, etc.), but treating them as a solution is absurd. it's like "well no shit ritalin helps little timmy focus on his homework instead of running around outside . . it's SPEED and he's EIGHT"

there are definitely exceptions, but in a lot of cases i think parents want to just let the drug solve their problems rather than actually parenting.

You know, the anti-stimulant crowd needs to shut the fuck up, to be completely honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the development of new drugs that treat symptoms in better ways, but why is it that folks with absolutely no qualifications to make blanket judgements think it's best to avoid some medications?

Amphetamines have been approved for ADHD for children for quite a while now and therapuetic doses have proven to be safe. Simple as that. These aren't the recreational doses that are taken in the several hundred milligrams in short spans of time. The negative side-effects are negligable at those doses.

Not only that, but ADHD is a lot more than a kid (or adult) that runs around and has a lot of energy. It's an ignorant misconception that's taken up by those who don't really have a grasp of what ADHD really is.

Strongly worded, for sure, but it just irritates me that a medication that is safe and works gets a poor reputation from those that don't really understand a disease or the workings behind it.

Strongly worded, for sure, but it just irritates me that a medication that is safe and works gets a poor reputation from those that don't really understand a disease or the workings behind it.

been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD for two decades. tried several different drug treatments (ritalin, adderalll, and the non-stimulant strattera). side effects were undesirable and unpleasant, while providing far less relief from my symptoms than Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and just plain learning how to structure my time better. my recommendation is not that the drugs are always bad, but that you shouldn't immediately reach for the prescription pad where ADD is concerned.

and of course anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much, but i also grew up around a lot of kids whose parents used ritalin as a substitute for parenting and study skills. those that didn't abuse their doses at some point were the exception.

so maybe the "i assume i know more than you" crowd should quiet down a little bit too.

for the record, i'm generally against giving children ANY psychotrophic drug unless ABSOLUTELY neccessary! ESPECIALLY LEGAL SPEED.

I'm not one of those ppl who fakes ADD to get high; I have always been inattentive and disliked sitting still, but made good grades irregardless b/c I enjoyed reading so much.

However, college schoolwork and courseload is MUCH different than public high school, so I was not adequately prepared w/good study habits and work ethic, and OH YEAH- the ability to pay attention to lectures!! Now, when I go to class, I absorb what the teacher is talking about like a sponge, and take hella good notes, in addition to the reading and homework.

I think I will go off of amphetamines though and stick with bupropion, as I strongly DISLIKE the come-up and come-down of stims. Bupropion stimulates you mentally, just not physically, which is fine for school!

3dayrun said:
why is it that folks with absolutely no qualifications to make blanket judgements think it's best to avoid some medications?

Oh, so we're playing the credential card now, are we? Watch out! This could be dangerous when you know little about those with whom you discuss.

So I'll play: I hold a bachelor's degree in psychology, worked in a lab researching visual attention (from which I have one coauthorship), spending a good deal of time examining attention deficit disorder's effects on basic attentional control, partly in search of a reliable diagnostic tool (as none currently exist) (for which the aforementioned paper provides the theoretical background).

Amphetamines have been approved for ADHD for children for quite a while now and therapuetic doses have proven to be safe.

safe to what degree? Research that I've seen has shown administration of methylphenidate to juvenile rats at doses mg/kg equivalent to common therapeutic regimens to cause permanent changes in neural physiology. Keep in mind that this is a DARI, understood to be vastly less neurotoxic than, say, meth (for your kids, desoxyn), and somewhat less neurotoxic than DA releasers that don't affect 5ht. Granted, these are minor changes, not necessarily indicative of 'damage' (increased dendrite proliferation in the frontal lobes, IIRC), but nonetheless alarming.

Please also keep in mind that physiological side-effects which mimic natural stress aren't that healthy, increasing minorly the risk of adverse cardiac events (which is pretty low for youths) but more importantly taking their toll on mental health. Concurrent psychiatric medication to treat stimulants' side-effects in children is rather common in the US.

it just irritates me that a medication that is safe and works

How well do they 'work'? Research has shown these medications to, on average, lose effectiveness after two years, even with increasing dosage.
If these things work for you, then great, but they're hardly innocuous. What level of disorder warrants exposing children to these dangers without their informed consent?

ebola

Omg i just practically wrote a thesis on all of this! My first time on here and i spent thirty minutes typing it all and it said it did not have me registered (which i just did and clicked the link to join this chat) lost everthing told me to hit back..i am about to hit the web designer !!

for me, concerta methelphenidate hcl extended release has been the best... i don't get the the horrible ups and downs of dex or rit, just a good long lasting able to function' kinda stim... :D