• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

5-HTP Basic Questions, The Positive v.s. Negative Effects

I also felt way more drunk, way quicker and for longer. I typically just feel a little tipsy after three double of rum in cokes. I had one over an hour and felt very tipsy waited an hour had another one, and was drunk more then 3 hours hours.

in the beginning it would give me some vivid fun dreams, would make weed feel stronger, and would make me happier and be in a good mood..
after a few days, some side effects came on that seemed to come on at random.. sometimes i would get stomach pain or headaches or sometimes both.

my experience exactly.

This is an interesting thread for me, after being on an s.s.r.i for over five years, and then switching to wellbutrin for a few years, I have finally tapered off those, and switched to 5HTP, at a 150 mg a day dose. I have read online (and here now too) that taking more than 100 mg a day can be harmful. On my bottle of 50 mg pills, it recomends building up to between a 2-400 mg a day dose, and I just purchased a bottle of 100mg strength pills, that suggests 200 mg a day. Is this just a case of companies trying to sell you more product? That seems really unethical if there are harmful effects at that level.
On a side note, I actually feel better taking 5HTP than pharmaceutical anti depressants. My moods are more stable, which was a huge issue for me before (rapid cycling), and it feels like my sex drive is slowly returning to normal after five years of being a marathon man, and then two years of being a two minute man.
I haven't noticed the effects with alcohol whatsoever, but was curious for those taking a daily dose, if there are noticeable effects with MDMA? It has been seven years because of the S.S.R.Is and depression, but I have been craving a good roll for awhile now. Should I stop for a few days prior to taking it? Or will it just help with the after effects and not have any impact on the actual trip at all?

5htp.

• Made me feel sleepy and weird all day
• Made my eyes bulge out or feel like they did
• Made drugs feel worse
• No appreciable effect on the after period of drugs
I know this is a old thread but i just took 5htp three hours ago and it also made me feel sleepy and weird... i felt somewhat relaxed but i really cant tell what is the 5htp and whats a placebo

Hi, I recently started taking 5HTP. Long story short, I jumped off sub at 2mg and tapered with loperimide ( as soon as WD from Suboxone kicked in *ouch* dosed with 60 mg loperimide with great results..I.e., no WD - now 3 weeks later down to 10mg loperimide ea. morning) today began 5HTP on an empty stomach, slight sleepiness at about 2 hrs in. Otherwise no significant immediate effects. Hope to be off loperimide within 10 days thereby giving Ample time for 5htp to be built up in my system. I'm looking forward to smoking my nightly THC and seeing if it potentiates the THC.

Last edited:
5Htp is metabolized rapidly and thus doesn't build up in your system.

ebola

Ive noticed substantial effect from 5htp beginning on day 4... Almost zero social anxiety. Verbal accuity and cognitive enhancement. Beginning L-theanine this afternoon will report back :) yay, I've found something that works!

L-tryptophan vs. 5-HTP would be substantially superior in my opinion taking into account tryptophan had an antagonistic effect on the overall activity of our SERT. If you can start at the very most beginnings of the cascading cellular pathway involving L-tryptophan's metabolism and in the process reduce the amount serotonin reuptake then why not? Also, L-tryptophan contributes to quite a few neurotransmitters in a multitude of pathways and due to the inability of being able to produce it on our own I would think that it's quite possibly the direct rate-limiting compound in quite a few reactions?

Why would tryptophan inhibit sert?

ebola

Give me a second and I'll find the sourcing as I cannot specifically remember the exact technicalities. It had something to do with L-tryptophan's serum concentration being directly related to the concentration of tryptophan hydroxylase as they are rate-limiting factors in 5HT synthesis. Also, there was something to do with 5-HT(1A), 5-HT(1B) autoinhibition and enhancing specific negative feedback mechanisms for serotonergic activity.

I'll find it soon and I'm sure you could probably school me on it.

IMO/E L-theanine is inferior to 5htp.. Currently on 200mg 5htp each morning with coffee and have experienced a drastic reduction in depression. VS L-theanine gave me headaches at 400mg 3 days in a row.

I'm considering trying it again because I'm feeling some serious seasonal depression and don't really want to go on an SSRI unless I absolutely have to.

The problem is that most of the 5-HTP gets metabolised into serotonin in the gut etc. before it even reaches the brain and then just causes nausea and diarrhoea. This is why they co-administer some decarboxylase inhibitor together with L-Dopa (the dopamine equivalent of 5-HTP) like carbidopa, mesocarb etc.. there have been studies done with 5-HTP & carbidopa if I'm right and it indeed potentiated it very much, making it as effective as a SSRI.. but unfortunately these inhibitors aren't available as pure substances. I've asked several pharmacies around here and they are unable to source it even if I had a prescription ...

Yes they are addictive. I've been reading and it says to take them for no longer than 2 months at a time.

Well 5HTP saved me as it stopped my panic attacks, anxiety and depersonalization symptoms which i had thru the whole day. Its much safer than anything else out there ;) If you are more interested in 5HTP and other treatments using amino acids and such go check out the book called "Mood Cure" Julia Ross, It even shows some scientific studies where it shows that 5HTP performs better than typical known Antidepressants and other drugs. It's a really good book and it's very easy to read.

Enjoy :)

Hi! I've been suffering from depersonalization/derealization for almost 4 months now...I took antidepressants that made things 10x worse for me and got off of them only to make the depersonalization and now depression even worse. I just started taking 200mg extended release of 5-HTP tonight along with fish oil and some vitamins to hopefully help with this horrible mental illness! What dosage are you taking of 5-HTP and how long until you saw your amazing results??
Thank you!! It was amazing to read your review and gives me hope!

I was thinking about adding 5-htp to my daily vitamin intake, but I do take Effexor for depression so I guess I'm better staying away from it. I don't understand why so many people put some much toxic drugs into their system or should I say illegal drugs, then go on a forum to ask if taking an otc medication is safe...is it just me or does that make no sense? These people are the same ones that didn't bother to ask anyone if taking some other person's vicodin or xanax script was alright, but are now curious if an otc may effect them negatively while taking illegal narcotics that were not prescribed for them. Hello people?? Wake up. Stop talking the narcotics your not prescribed and you won't have any questions about an herbal supplement!!

Hello

I have just started 5 htp for sleep - which it is working very well for. I'm on a very low does of oral Amitriptyline (2.5 mg a day). I'm tapering off Amitriptyline super slowly - VERY long story! I know you're not meant to take them together, but would this very low dose have an effect or interaction? I ask as I have dry eyes and my eyes have been VERY sore since starting 5 htp 5 days ago.

Also, if anyone else had this extreme sore eyes reaction - did it wear off eventually or did you have to give up?

Thank you!