Bluelight

Thread: Nuvigil Sucks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nuvigil Sucks 
    I currently work nights, and have started taking Nuvigil to help cope with the transitioning from being awake during the day to being awake at night. In short - this stuff sucks dick. It makes you feel a little bit high, similar to a low dose of amphetamines, but the shit lasts 15-24 hours.

Has anybody that has taken this (or Provigil), and found a way to come down quicker? After a while, you just feel exhausted and dead inside, but cannot sleep. Instead of the constant ampy, powerful feeling you get on amphetamines, you end up more tired than you have ever been with no way to get to sleep.

I have tried Ambien and Lunesta - they do not make me sleep. They just make me feel more tired, which is miserable.

So, BL community - tips, tricks?

2. Collapse Details

I use doxylamine to sleep while taking provigil. I haven't had much trouble sleeping while taking it. Start out with a 25mg doxylamine dosage and work up from there. I think 100mg/night is the max, but you really dont want to take that much. 50mg puts me OUT

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Have you tried simply taking less?

Also, you said you are taking it to help with the transistion - not permenantly. Why not just stop taking it.

4. Collapse Details

I wasn't aware Nuvigil had been released. The primary difference between Provigil and Nuvigil, as I recall, is that Nuvigil has a longer half-life. So if you find yourself having difficulty sleeping, it might be better going with Provigil, at a lower dosage.

The medication is not designed to get you high. It's simply meant to help you stay awake. That's it. Nor is it a replacement for actual sleep.

As far as getting to sleep, it actually shouldn't interfere too much with your ability to fall asleep. The difference is that you'll feel slightly more awake as you get in bed; but once in bed, you should be able to close your eyes and go back to sleep.

If you've JUST switched to a night shift, then your body may simply still be adjusting. Give it a little time.

5. Collapse Details

^ Good plan with switching to Modafinil. I was thinking that maybe Melatonin would be useful. It's a more "natural" way of gaining "natural" sleep.
    But if it's not enough then yea, go with the the Doxylamine.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Eight0Eight View Post
    Have you tried simply taking less?

Also, you said you are taking it to help with the transistion - not permenantly. Why not just stop taking it.
    By transition, I mean each week. For example, I am night shift Saturday and Sunday, day shift the rest of the week. Transitioning from night to day or vice versa regularly is killer.

Nuvigil is supposedly half of the racemic mixture that is Provigil, similar to amphetamine vs. dextroamphetamine.

7. Collapse Details

I'm not sure how to pass out with provigil or nuvigil, but I wanted to just put a warning out there as to what does NOT work.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to drink til you pass out while on Provigil. During one of my couple of experiences with provigil, I attempted to have a few (3-4) shots of vodka in order to make myself tired. I didn't feel sleepy after these shots, just slightly drunk, so I had two more shots. After about 15 minutes, I got horrible spins, unlike anything that I've experienced before or afterwards with alcohol. I also got incredibly nauseous, and since I'd eaten about an hour before I drank the vodka, that combined with the spins was an equation that balanced out with profuse and violent emesis in which I barely made it to the toilet in time.

This was about 12 hours after I'd taken the provigil, so even if its been a while since you've taken provigil/nuvigil, I'd really strongly caution against any alcohol in order to come down and sleep. I don't know how benzos might work to come down, they might be a little more efficacious.

8. Collapse Details

I just got my Nuvigil filled today, 178.00 for 15.

I took it early and am crashing before midnight. I take
    seroquel so sleep should not be a problem. I feel
    beat anyway, tired as hell. I think Nuvigil is great
    Makes me feel high all day.

9. Collapse Details

Nuvigil is just the enantiomer (mirror image molecule) of Provigil, marketed because Cephalon lost the patent on Provigil, ergo killing profits. Paying more for Nuvigil is pointless if your money is tight. There isn't anything necessarily 'better' about Nuvigil.

Taking generic Provigil does nothing for me during the day, however taking it at night makes 48+ hour insomnia-fests easy. The half-life of both is 12-15 hours, so take the drug several hours before you actually want the effects.

10. Collapse Details

I had the opportunity to procure some provigil but did not do so. I've wanted to try something like it because there are times where I want to be more alert since I'm on Suboxone and Klonopin. But to the OP, have you tried benzos? That's the closest I get to "natural sleep" than any antihistamine or z-drug or even melatonin does. Personally, I don't want to have to take a pill to get up and then one to get down. It sets up an awful cycle.

11. Collapse Details

i drugs.com'd it, but what exactly is provigil? it's given for excess sleepiness? i assume it's not amphetamine but related?

12. Collapse Details

Capsule
    Ive been on Provigil daily for years and recently got a sample pack of Nuvigil. According to the doctor Nuvigil is a more refined version of Provigil with a longer duration. Personally I like Nuvigil more than Provigil being that I pop one at 7:00am and dont come down fully until around 11:00pm

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by StaffWriter View Post
    I had the opportunity to procure some provigil but did not do so. I've wanted to try something like it because there are times where I want to be more alert since I'm on Suboxone and Klonopin. But to the OP, have you tried benzos? That's the closest I get to "natural sleep" than any antihistamine or z-drug or even melatonin does. Personally, I don't want to have to take a pill to get up and then one to get down. It sets up an awful cycle.
    If you do get around to trying it, keep in mind that there is a marked potentiation of benzos with provigil; I believe its due to provigil being a partial inhibitor of one of the CYP enzymes responsible for the metabolism of benzos.

@pink cloud> its benzhydrilsulfinylacetamide, not even close to amphetamine.

14. Collapse Details

egor, what do you mean by market potentiation of benzos with provigil. I am newly sober from a bad addiction to opiates and benzos. I'm off of everything including alcohol. However my psychiatrist put me on nuvigil bc i just can't stay awake all day. Ive never felt high off of it but my jaws will feel the way they used to when i was on coke.

15. Collapse Details

^When I combine clonazepam and provigil, the clonazepam feels about 50% stronger per dose and lasts longer as well. Its actually a pretty good combo.

16. Collapse Details

Nuvigil is Armodafinil. Here's from wikipedia: "Armodafinil is the active (−)-(R)-enantiomer of the racemic drug modafinil (Provigil)."

So if I'm right 100mg Armodafinil = 200mg Modafinil.

How much are you taking? I found that at first 100mg Modafinil is sufficient to stay awake all day. Don't let the docs talk you into taking higher doses, there's no benefit and you will only develop tolerance earlier. These are new, expensive, patented drugs, so sometimes the docs get kickbacks from big pharm is they prescribe a lot.

17. Collapse Details

Are you guys really feeling any kind of "high" from nuvigil? I've been taking it for a couple months, really just to take in between days i take amphetamines to try and still have energy and be productive. I honestly can't say I feel anything near "high" let alone anything i get from amphetamines (adderall, 30mg). If anything, it MIGHT give me semi-similar effects in the morning, a couple hours after i take it, but it might be in my head and if DEFINITELY doesn't last long at all. I'm dissapointed, because i read here in america modafinil (pretty much same thing) is a banned substance in sports. I've been trying to take the adderall everyday now, pretty much because my Doc swears a "tolerance" won't occur. I don't believe her but at least i'm having constant energy and feel good. I just really don't want to build a huge tolerance

18. Collapse Details

You sure feel "high" compared to how you would feel on a bad day without taking it. To test, choose a morning after a bad night. You feel drowsy, unwilling to do anything. Take Modafinil (or equivalent) and lo! Twenty minutes later you're alive and kicking. That's not bad at all.

Of course, it's not a rec drug, but who said it was? We need non-rec pharms as well, you know. Imagine what it would be like if antibiotics were only recreational. Most of us would've died of some infection by now.

19. Collapse Details

No i know it's not supposed to give u a high. But a couple people earlier said they kind of felt one. I don't at all. It's weird, when i take it some days i can feel it, but even then it's not much. And then other days it's like i didn't take anything at all. And trust me I'm not a rec-drug user. I mean i take the nuvigil and amphetamines simply to function better. Being exhausted all the time isn't fun.
    Last edited by DJCRLS; 18-12-2009 at 16:06.

20. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I would rather search for a new job - rather than rely on pharmacuticals to get you through it.

Been there. Done that. Hated every minute of it.

21. Collapse Details
    Comparison 
    I've just begun nuvigil after use of provigil for a few years. It is prescribed for alertness increase after I suffered traumatic brain injury from a wreck. I like provigil better so far. I 'know' more about how it affects me. Nuvigil lasts too long for me. I break provigil in half and take it when I feel I need increased alertness.... I never take provigil after late afternoon. Nuvigil is just bothersome with sleep. I sure wish the drug companies would test these type meds on a gender specific/cycle specific basis. Seems my hormones completely defeat the effects of either med....some parts of the month... Yet, they still interfere with my restful sleep.

22. Collapse Details
    Future of nootropics 
    AS I recall Nuvigil was the US distributors ace up the sleave when I think - Sanofi sarl who brought the product to market WW (and were looking into possible unrelated benefits of yhis nootroopic. So Provigil (with a few tweaks to its half life that clinically could benefit type of patient - The US MIC, particularly the airforce which had always needed |GO NO GO PILLS to allow them to function from the |US mainland and effect bombing runs in Afghanistan and later Iraq...Nuvigil was the new GO tablet (I believe zolpidem the new NO GO), so with a ready market and a complicit ip oversight a "new drug was born whose only benefit over provigil and the generics was 50% half life =36 hours wakefullness, 6+ year patent on a drug ostensibly the same exept half-lfe, just as provigil came I think quite fortuitously from omlifon (TM), a relatively old drug in France and sold at a fixed price of FF0,00,,until some smart chemist (at Lafon I think), did what chemists do and tinkered and got Modafinil - a non-addictive, pseudo-amphetaminewith no comedown, and after 8 hours restful sleep, no mental or phsiological fatigue = The ultimate GO PILL, with glowing reports + an unexpected result - measureable increases in alrtness, improved multitasking - a 12-14 hour elevation inall cognitive abilities, a cognitive booster in tablet form,,,witha quick skip and a jump to the exam room, Modafinil and its unrelated BRAIN PILL, ritalin were assumed to give the PRESCRIBED patient relief from an ever expanding number of hitherto unknown 'disorders - AHDD, adult ADD, creating its wake a medicated nation, from 12yrs on there is a OTC or easily prescribed drug for all our true health needs, and all the new lifestyle drugs Gingo Bilobao, Super-berries etc, are beginning to morph with the now sanitised '\head Shop', linked into an intricate web of talened and creative pharmacologists and microbiologists, using Shulgin's works to guide them, avert analogue trapdoors - if they think it may work, work up a small batch and the hardiest go straight to bioassay...If 10 in the bioassay like it thm the proper name with accompanying diagrams faxed to the top 5 in Asia for a quick dutch auction, SLR, contracts drawn and signed, money in escrow if need be...and within daysthe latest legal 'high' not covered by HM analogues act is being made up in the lab, upscaled then the manufaturor will release 1kg over 20 head shops as a 'this isn't kgs of desoxypiperodone-like mess,

The distributors rack up a slick PR, viral and strategic smears preemptively. It is odd how in the truely economic laissez faire economy in this sector, your order comes stamped in chinese script...they ofered the cheapest prices, shortest turnaround, fairest SLAand their chemists may havewhispered a murmour of their analysis for future products into your Chem's earhole.

as the 'illegal's of old are sythesised to a degriee of verisimilitude...no more smuggling with enough of the right chemicals available in loco to create a Somative nirvana that enough people are happy with to put aside traditional narcotics, let greed be used as a tool for others to do the hardwork, and deliver to your door your every imagined or - 'too young to try' narcotic extant, and with a big-pharma singing off the same hymn sheets.

A neolibertarian sine qua non - give them what they want, and don't regulate - - - It's a sure fire winner for 2045, And God, well, with their own researched and marketed God Pills that bring you nearer to God, and us nearer the eschaton - It's a winner allround.

apologies for massivelet tangental reply, but I hope we got there in the end??

23. Collapse Details

hmmm wild post there Pythagoras...pretty interesting too...i approve ..lol....you type a lot of stuff like i normally do when posting or moreso when messaging someone as anyone who has ever got a message from me could tell you..lol....the drug in the post sound slike pure shite to me ,, i would get some type of amphetamine or find another job....

24. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    You didn't get the free two week 14 pill starter kit?
    I'm prescribed Dexedrine 20mg daily....which I don't take except for occasions because I'm too skinny, but my doctor added Nuvigil to the mix anyways. I love it....its perfect for stopping the amphetamines. I never abuse the amps but there is still a depression after their discontinuation.

I dont know how long Ill continue it...the cash price is rediculous as you actually paid. Its Nuvigil instead of Provigil because they lost the patent. Just used the R enantiomer. Provigil was expensive as shit as well.

At least my doctor gave me the 250 mg pills. The starter kit is only 14 pills..regardless of strength. But you cant beat free.

25. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    Skull
    I just took Nuvigil for the first time today. It does what it says it does, however, as recoverying alcoholic/addict this is not a drug I will continue to take. This drug has a powerful potential to be abused -- and as a person in recovery, I should have done more research on Nuvigil before I took it. I felt pretty amped today, infact a little euphoric. Its like using "uppers" (I will not go into detail as addicts know what I'm pertaining to). I can see how this has the potential to be abused. The sad part is, is that my doctor knows I am in recovery and a drug like this can be dangerouse for those in recovery, especially from narcs. I am going through "shift change disorder", but I also take seroquel for sleep. This is a dangerous cycle of drugs; sleep wake sleep wake sleep wake. I will not take Nuvigil again. FOR THOSE IN RECOVERY, please do your research and understand that Nuvigil is considered a CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE and has the strong potential to be abused. Doctors are handing out a 14 day trial for Nuvigil for reasons beyond me, if you have problems with alcohol or drug abuse, please ask your doctor about an alternative, or just drink a couple Monsters when you wake up. If you are concerns or questions about this, you can simply Google: Nuvigil and alcohol. The description of the drug and its FDA ruling will be explained. This is how I found this blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast