• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Do opiates decrease testosterone levels in men?

fume

Ex-Bluelighter
Taking codeine and other pain killers decrease test levels in men??

YES...I don't have the time to search around for any studies but IME, the use of opiates definately lowers free test levels in men...

yes

but recreational use is on the same wave length as alcohol for reducing test levels<<< if used recreationally

I'm not convinced personally. Let's see some studies.

imo they do i take or used to take opiates and benzos and my sex drive was zero no desire at all and know morning wood,So thats an indication of low test level's..

imo they do i take or used to take opiates and benzos and my sex drive was zero no desire at all and know morning wood,So thats an indication of low test level's..

That is not in and of itself evidence of anything related to testosterone. Heroin was an aphrodesiac for me, Methadone reduces my sex drive. If opioids in general reduced testosterone, there would be other symptoms.

I think confusion is what leads users and laymen to believe there is a connection between testosterone production/levels and opioid use.

J Pain. 2006 Mar;7(3):200-10. Links
Open-label pilot study of testosterone patch therapy in men with opioid-induced androgen deficiency.

Daniell HW, Lentz R, Mazer NA.
Department of Family Practice, University of California Davis Medical School, Redding, California, USA.
We conducted a 24-week open-label pilot study of testosterone (T) patch therapy in 23 men with opioid-induced androgen deficiency (OPIAD). The T dosage was 5 mg/day for the first 12 weeks and 7.5 mg/day for the second 12 weeks. Seven subjects discontinued prematurely: 4 for noncompliance, 2 for skin irritation and 1 for hepatitis C treatment. In the "completers" population (n = 16), mean (SD) free T levels (normal range 52 to 280 pg/mL) were 28.5 (18.6) pg/mL at baseline, 72.8 (29.6) pg/mL on 5 mg/day (P < .001 vs. baseline), and 120.2 (69.5) pg/mL on 7.5 mg/day (P < .001 vs. baseline and P < .01 vs. 5 mg/day). Total T, dihydrotestosterone, and estradiol showed parallel changes. Sex hormone-binding globulin levels were elevated at baseline and decreased modestly with treatment (P < .05 vs. baseline at 5 mg/day; P < .01 vs. baseline at 7.5 mg/day). Luteinizing hormone levels were in the low-normal range at baseline and suppressed markedly with treatment (P < .001 vs. baseline at both doses). Androgen deficiency symptoms (ADSQ), sexual function (Watts SFQ), mood (PGWB), depression (BDI-II), and hematocrit levels showed improvement during treatment, generally more so at the 7.5 mg/day dosage (P < .001 vs. baseline for most parameters). Pain scores (BPI-SF) decreased slightly on 7.5 mg/day (interference score: P < .05 vs. baseline and 5 mg/day); the use of opioids did not change appreciably. The testosterone patches were generally well tolerated. PERSPECTIVE: Long-acting opioid preparations suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis in men and produce a symptomatic state of opioid-induced androgen deficiency (OPIAD). Testosterone patch therapy at a dose of 7.5 mg/day normalizes hormone levels and appears to improve a number of quality of life parameters (eg, sexual function, well-being, mood) in men with OPIAD.

That is not in and of itself evidence of anything related to testosterone. Heroin was an aphrodesiac for me, Methadone reduces my sex drive. If opioids in general reduced testosterone, there would be other symptoms.

I think confusion is what leads users and laymen to believe there is a connection between testosterone production/levels and opioid use.

I agree with Tchort.

It's difficult as laypeople to know exactly what sorts of behaviours are produced by testosterone. But I do notice that when on opiates I get extremely irritable and aggressive if anyone interferes with me or annoys me, especially when coming down and over the ensuing days. I literally walk around wanting someone to piss me off so I can physically let go at them. Also I lose interest entirely in gentle sexual intercourse, I just want to smash whomever I am with at the time. Maybe these are irrelevant observations but I thought that perhaps they relate somehow to testosterone levels in the body.

When I started with my Pain Management clinic, and they had me sign the contract, they also gave me sort of a fact sheet, talking about the side effects, common misconceptions about opioids, addiction vs. physical dependence, etc.

One of the things in there is a disclaimer that they might periodically test my testosterone levels, as chronic opioid use can lower it

It's difficult as laypeople to know exactly what sorts of behaviours are produced by testosterone. But I do notice that when on opiates I get extremely irritable and aggressive if anyone interferes with me or annoys me, especially when coming down and over the ensuing days. I literally walk around wanting someone to piss me off so I can physically let go at them. Also I lose interest entirely in gentle sexual intercourse, I just want to smash whomever I am with at the time. Maybe these are irrelevant observations but I thought that perhaps they relate somehow to testosterone levels in the body.

Certain Opioids, especially when taken at higher doses, can make me very irritable as well, especially Oxycodone for whatever reason. Even though I feel good, I get frustrated at the smallest things that otherwise wouldn't really bother me.

I have wondered myself if this might have something to do with Testosterone levels, even though I am inclined to think that it does not. I have never taken any steroids, but I would imagine some of their effects to be somewhat similar: Marked euphoria and energy with pronounced agitation/irritability.

^^^

good post I agree

Whenever I take poppy pod tea I am EXTREMELY irritable... I snap at the littlest of things, even though I feel good

however on heroin I feel calm and mellow.

Opiates make me chill - regardless of type.

And no, I haven't notice my sex-drive decrease at all.

I mean, when using given a choice between dope and sex I will choose dope - but if I have the opportunity of sex I will jump at it.

I have never heard of testosterone reduction from any mu opiate agonists. I know urinary constriction and decreased sex drive is a side effect, but interaction with the sex hormones, no.

i have a significant decrease in sex drive. even if my girlfriend is all over me i find i hard to want to have sex. kinda sucks.

I take steroids test to be excact,500mg One shot mon monday one on friday,So i have high synfetic test levels natural test is lil lol..8o

I read all the posts. I personally feel, if it decreases the sex drive it probably does, temporarily lower testosterone. But, at this point I'm also not totally convinced...I'm just saying where I'd put my money.