• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

what a fucking game!!
it was back and forth the whole time . they both played great but the Canes played better
the Canes are going to do great this season, i can feel it!!

I agree, the Miami Hurricanes are a team that I pegged as possibly experiencing a revival this year (which they need real bad, as well as the ACC as a whole). Jacory Harris looked splendid last night, and he should do well all season long because he was very fun to watch last year as a freshman. who knew he could pass so well though?

Media darlings Ohio State didn't do that well against Navy, which shows continous mediocrity from the Bucks.

as a Buckeye fan, I have to disagree with the statement that they are "media darlings." maybe this was the case a couple years after their National Championship, but post in the post LSU/OSU world the Buckeyes have really gotten anything besides love from the media.

which I don't mind. Ohio State is not a school made for the media spotlight. historically, the Buckeyes are at their best when they are the underdogs (which is a difficult task for a team that perpetually competes for a Championship). as a Buckeye fan, I want all media limelight to please shine elsewhere. when the world is not looking, we excel.

really if the media darlings in this day and age have to be Pete "Gay Bar" Carrol's Trojans.

i went to the UM/FSU game last night
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
THE U BABY!

probably one of the sweetest moments of my life
like fuckin 80,000 (idk if there were that many FSU fans there, but i'm pretty sure the stadium holds that much) Noles fans doing their 'OoooohhhhOhhhhhhOhhhhhh" chant the whole game (and i'm sitting in the students section with my UM Devin Hester jersey on, haha!) and then we pull it off and the place goes fuckin silent!
EPIC GAME!

Those Canes jerseys have grown on me. I'd like to have one. As a kid, I was a big Miami fan during the times of Gino Torretta, Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde and HC's like Dennis Erickson and Jimmy Johnson. Then, my brother was looking to go to UGA and I became a Dawg fan very early, eventually getting my Political Science degree (B.A.) from Athens. I still keep an eye (no pun intended!) on the Hurricanes. As a child, I wanted to get my Meteorology degree from Coral Gables, but I suck at math and gave up.

Axl Blaze, I'm sorry if my comments about (THE) Ohio State University and their status as media darlings offended you. It just seems like every year, OSU is overrated by AP, New York Times and all the football mags like Lindys. Terrelle Pryor is tha real deal tho. Good luck to your Buckeyes.

I'm just happy Cal raped Maryland last night. :) I had the privilege of being there.

Maybe Best can break the wall of quarterbacks for heisman

Best, should he stay healthy, will be in New York for the trophy presentation. The dude is an absolute stud.

A big hearty LOL at the Big 10 heads here proclaiming their conference in the Top 2 after one week of unimpressive wins and one embarrassing loss. At least the Pac-10 losses were against tough teams. On that note, it was good to see UDub look like a football program once again. Locker looked pretty sharp while Sark and Holt had their team pumped up. They should finally end their losing streak next week.

As for Ohio State, yes they're media darlings in the sense they're always given a top 10 to top 5 preseason ranking despite not being able to win the last few real meaningful games they've had (UF, LSU, USC, PSU, Texas). One thing is for sure...they have a LOT to prove at the Horseshoe this weekend against USC...a lot to prove.

Out of curiosity, is it possible for a pac-10 team to go to the rose bowl, and another pac-10 team to go to the national title? I think it didn't quite work out that way when texas got to go a few years ago (If I remember correctly).

The reason I ask is because I'd like to see Cal (my home team) go to the national title game in Pasadena (don't comment, I know it's not likely), and another pac-10 team go to the rose bowl... as I will be attending both games. :)

Axl Blaze, I'm sorry if my comments about (THE) Ohio State University and their status as media darlings offended you. It just seems like every year, OSU is overrated by AP, New York Times and all the football mags like Lindys. Terrelle Pryor is tha real deal tho. Good luck to your Buckeyes.

no offense ever taken. I just like to talk about football in general, but have been immersed with the Buckeyes because I have always been within walking distance. I try to be subjective, but it is difficult with college football. with pro football it is so much easier.

that being said, some good match-ups this week.

does everyone think that Ole Miss is the real deal this year? they have some tough competition in the SEC, but I could see them ending up as the second best team in the conference this year.

Out of curiosity, is it possible for a pac-10 team to go to the rose bowl, and another pac-10 team to go to the national title? I think it didn't quite work out that way when texas got to go a few years ago (If I remember correctly).

The reason I ask is because I'd like to see Cal (my home team) go to the national title game in Pasadena (don't comment, I know it's not likely), and another pac-10 team go to the rose bowl... as I will be attending both games. :)

Yes it is possible. Probable? Unlikely, but it is definitely possible.

i loled

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/small_unathletic_walk_on_injures_9?utm_source=a-section

Small, Unathletic Walk-On Injures 9 Starters In Notre Dame Football Practice

SOUTH BEND, IN—During Wednesday's afternoon practice, 17-year-old Brian Novak, a 145-pound walk-on for the struggling Notre Dame football team, injured nine starters, including third-year quarterback Jimmy Clausen, junior wide receiver Golden Tate, and 295-pound defensive lineman Ian Williams.

Novak, who had virtually no organized football experience prior to joining the Division I team, has injured a total of 24 players since his arrival in South Bend, prompting many to question whether or not the Fighting Irish have another disappointing season in store.

"I'm not really that fast or strong or anything," said Novak, adding that of his friends back home he's "not even close" to being the best football player. "But during my first practice with the team I was playing linebacker—or it might have been defensive end—and I got past the big blocker guys no problem, then somehow broke [starting halfback] Armando Allen's leg with a tackle. That's the first tackle I've ever attempted in my life."

"I'm not trying to hurt them or anything, but in general I would say everyone here is a lot slower and weaker than I thought they'd be," Novak added. "I can only bench-press about 90 pounds, but all the players gather around to watch me lift."

According to members of the coaching staff, the former high school yearbook editor is by far the team's most athletic player, despite Novak's inability to do more than two pull-ups or jog a mile without walking. During an intrasquad scrimmage last Sunday, he recorded eight interceptions, rushed for 225 yards, and ruptured the Achilles tendon of safety Sergio Brown with what appeared to be a fairly slow-moving, awkward juke move.

"When I play with these guys I feel like I did when I was a camp counselor playing dodgeball with my campers," said the 5-foot-7 Novak, whose athletic resume consists of two weeks on his high school lacrosse team. "I can pretty much overpower anyone, anytime. It's really fun, but I'm not actually learning anything about football."

Though he reportedly promised Notre Dame's head coach Charlie Weis he would "take it easy" on the rest of the team until the season opener, Novak broke the arm of 302-pound center Dan Wenger during tackling drills last Monday, and fractured starting linebacker Brian Smith's skull on a 14-yard touchdown run in which Novak dragged Smith 10 yards into the end zone.

While Novak went 0-4 in field goal attempts during Sunday's scrimmage, he was the only Notre Dame kicker to get the football up into the air.

"He's really powerful and fast," 255-pound defensive end John Ryan said of Novak."I'm glad he's on our team because looking at the guys we have, he's our only hope if we want to beat USC, Nevada, or really anybody."

"He's a much better leader than Jimmy [Clausen], that's for sure," Ryan added. "Better quarterback, too."

Recently, Novak has even been spotted giving coach Weis several tips about his strategy and tactics.

"Until Brian, I never thought about how establishing the run could create opportunities for us downfield," said Weis, who has led the Irish to 15 losses in their last two seasons. "Novak was telling me about something called a 'fake handoff,' which is like this fake run thing, but then you pass it. I would assume that's illegal, but he's proven himself to be an amazing football player, so I trust him."

According to Novak, when he committed to Notre Dame, he had no intention of walking onto the football team, being more interested in the school's theater group. But when assistant head coach Rob Ianello saw the freshman tossing a football around campus, he knew instantly that Novak would be a valuable addition.

"He was catching the ball," Ianello said. "Like, actually catching it."

Despite the team's recent injuries, and the fact that its best player is admittedly "really terrible" at football, former Notre Dame head coach and college football analyst Lou Holtz still predicted the Fighting Irish would go 12-0 this season and win the BCS championship

While Novak went 0-4 in field goal attempts during Sunday's scrimmage, he was the only Notre Dame kicker to get the football up into the air.

... said Weis, who has led the Irish to 15 losses in their last two seasons. "Novak was telling me about something called a 'fake handoff,' which is like this fake run thing, but then you pass it. I would assume that's illegal

"He was catching the ball," Ianello said. "Like, actually catching it."

Despite the team's recent injuries, and the fact that its best player is admittedly "really terrible" at football, former Notre Dame head coach and college football analyst Lou Holtz still predicted the Fighting Irish would go 12-0 this season and win the BCS championship

Quality Onion stuff right there.

= = = = == = == = = =

Looking Back:
Big10+1 - tOSU needs a last second interception to beat Navy. Say all you wish about Navy and bowl games....it's still Navy, at the Whoreshoe, and you barely won :| MN needs an interception at the end to beat Syracuse....Syracuse....Okay, I'll let you off on that one, since you sent in MN who is known to be a conference dog (see Vandy or SouthCarolina of SEC). IL loses to Mizzou again, when they've lost their star power and you still have the Juice? Iowa...block a kick twice...twice!...to hang onto a win against a D2 team? Overall, I'm sorry, but they are NOT one of the top 2 conferences in the country after week one. Not the way they struggle against teams they should beat more soundly.

PAC10 - Huskies surprised me, pleasantly, and LSU disappointed me. USC...meh, as somewhat expected (and yes, I hope they blow tOSU out of the Horseshit Stadium, then lose a few conference games, but that is petty spite on my part). No comment on the Oregon knockout punch, but kudos for playing Boise at Boise...and we'll see what UCLA does with TN this weekend (I predict-hope_for UCLA to kick the shit out of Kiffen, but also need my conference teams to do well....not sure who to go with on that one). Anywho, it is opening weekend, and as smotpoker points out, it's a bit too early to make any real reads from things or jump to assertions. I'll give you more time to answer the 'USC and other participants' statement.

SEC - With a nod to Alabama, play somebody and show you are for real, please. I'm sorry, SCar, but NCSt doesn't count; and for the rest of the schools...D2 doesn't count. For UGA, you let me down, but at least you've had the balls to schedule the game...now if only you had the balls to PLAY the game.

Big12 - With a nod to OSU...I'll wait another week or two before saying anything. ACC & BigEast - please hand in your automatic bids, you have been judged unworthy. And for the record, having grown up in FL and lived as an outsider (Gator) for the FSU-MIA rivalries, I will say the close game was fun for a fan, but anyone who knows football would have seen two weak teams, with weaker defenses, and not much to be really excited about unless it was a D2 playoff game...which is about what it was. Lastly, for the Independents - I can't even congratulate ND on a win...and I don't know who to pull for in the Puke Bowl matchup with MICH this weekend....but as much as I bash the Big10+1, I'll always, always, hate ND. Go Blue. Navy = kudos, and I hope to see you in a bowl game this year again. Army = kudos on winning an opener (first one in how many years?).

smotpoker - my musings on the Big10+1 adding a team were just time killers. I know the past several years have beat to death the concept that nobody wants to join that conference, for the reason you stated, and others. Really, there was a shifting of conferences when the ACC took some BigEasy teams, and the BigEasy picked up others to fill the void ... but nobody really even touches the Big10+1 anymore in terms of this discussion because anyone weak enough to be accepted by the Big10+1 (and not challenge their historically dominant teams) wouldn't want to join just for a beating when they could remain where they are in a smaller conference picking up more wins and better paychecks for out of conference games. Really, the Big10+1 is one of those clubs that fits the adage "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member" - too damn snobby to take a quality team (other than ND, who's own ego precludes them from joining anyone), and too stuck up to ever make the shift to 12 teams and a conference championship game. Just because everyone else jumps off the divisional arrangement bridge, doesn't mean you have to - and you've proven you won't; right along with your PAC10 (yes, they can count ;) ) brethren still hugging the grandaddy of them all....just recall there is a reason grandaddy's are old and out of touch and often referred to as stodgy old farts ;)

But since you're here, I'll spend a little time with you, mr smotpoker...
I'd say after week one the Big Ten and Sec are the two best conferences.

Record wise, each only has one loss, verses 2 for the Big 12, at least 2 for the Pac 10, ACC has losses to William And Mary and also to Richmond, Big East has at least one.

OSU while I'm sure people on here will say they suck or whatever, is 1-0 and they did have to play the best rushing team statistically. UF played against a d2 team, so who knows if they will be good this year, Oky State looked nice and OU got waxed by BYU!

I didn't know tOSU was playing a statistical game. That would be interesting when their conference can't count. UF played a D2 team....you mean, like ...shit, tOSU has no D2 opponents this year, can't crack back on that one. Props. And you're right, UF can't be judged on that game - Tebow pulled 3 min before halftime, and the 4th qtr using players so deep on the roster I'm amazed they had names on the jerseys. Waste of UF's time on that one, from a fan perspective...though I'm sure the coaches didn't mind paying extra for a scrimmage against someone besides the scout team. I will comment that for once I liked granny clampet's (Lou Holtz) suggestion - make the first weekend matchup be like the conference series that basketball has. Openning weekend, matchup SEC teams with Big10+1 teams; ACC vs BigEasy; PAC10 vs Big12....make them mean something. Yes, some people will get a kick in the teeth to start the season (see OU vs BYU), but at least it builds more interest, more rivalry, and puts some meaning to these openning games. While I like UF playing Troy for the second weekend (though their first game makes me doubt they are up to the level we expected), I'd rather not have more than one cupcake in a season :\ I know the argument for 'small schools need the money' and 'big schools don't want to jeapordize their championship hopes' but how many teams have lost a game early, or even mid-season, and still won the NC in recent years? Most of them, my friend, most of them. So, let's do a tOSU-USC approach, a TN-UCLA approach, and start penalizing teams that play more than one D2 team. I'm not joking, I'm really in favor of toughening up the schedule for all BCS conference teams....they want the auto-bid...freaking earn it (beyond telling me how tough your conference is ...see SEC, see PAC10 or Big10+1 (and then see the excuses), etc. Freaking earn it, and prove to the country why your conference is so damn hard by facing other BCS conferences.

But I digress.

In summary...

I would say it's a little unfair to make assumptions about what's going to happen based on one week of football.

I'd say after week one the Big Ten and Sec are the two best conferences.

... Looks like nothings changed here...

PS, I <3 U and am glad you're back ;)

Looking ahead:

Tonight:
Clemson at No. 15 Georgia Tech - I'll take GT (obviously) and not care much either way

Friday:
Colorado at Toledo - I'll take date nite ftw, and skip the game :| (closer matchup than PUR over TOL last week).

Saturday:
Syracuse at No. 7 Penn State - expect PSU to do better than MN, and feel good about beating SYR 8(

No. 19 North Carolina at Connecticut - @ Uconn? ... @UCONN? And how_the_fuck is NC at #19? I blame FL ballot box miscounts.

Stanford at Wake Forest - Ooohh.... a gem of brain bowl. At least it is a cross-conference game. Still won't watch (yawn), but Ooohhh....nice.

No. 9 Brigham Young at Tulane - welcome to the Top10. Enjoy your stay for a month (until TCU) or two (until Utah)...and though they are the only other 2 ranked opponents on your schedule, you have them at home. I sense you'll be in the BCS bowls this year ;)

No. 18 Notre Dame at Michigan - ahhahahahaah....wait, why isn't this on NBC? As much as I hate both teams, there is a chance I'll be flipping through this, cheering for a 2-2 tie, broken when Charlie chokes on a football and MICH wins the game by coin toss.

UCLA at Tennessee - go Vols....try not to lose too bad...still debating if I'll watch.

South Carolina at No. 21 Georgia - can UGA pull their jocks off the ground now, and actually play? I expect so.

No. 3 USC at No. 8 Ohio State - I still feel both teams are over-ranked, and weaker than people wish to believe (yes, Pryor is good, but he is one man and he isn't perfect). I predict USC comes out the winner, not because of a dislike for tOSU, but more for my feel for which team is more over-hyped and less real-deal.

Edit - PB just killed my afternoon, thank you. I think I know what I'll be doing Friday night if date night is spent with myself.

Last edited:
South Carolina at No. 21 Georgia - can UGA pull their jocks off the ground now, and actually play? I expect so.

I am sincerely worried. I'm really happy that cocks fan doesn't post here this year. I think the only thing we have going is the profoundly defensive nature of this series in recent memory. Maybe cox and the offense can get it together this time around.

UCLA at Tennessee - go Vols....try not to lose too bad...still debating if I'll watch.
This is my game of the week, just because I like watching these two conferences play, no matter who wins. Tenn actually looked ready for a minor marquee game like this during week one, so I'm down.

No. 3 USC at No. 8 Ohio State - I still feel both teams are over-ranked, and weaker than people wish to believe (yes, Pryor is good, but he is one man and he isn't perfect). I predict USC comes out the winner, not because of a dislike for tOSU, but more for my feel for which team is more over-hyped and less real-deal.

Why even bother watching. USC by 14+. I'm sorry, but there's overrated, and then there's THE Over Rated University. Pryor is a fine athlete, but the whole squad is not up to the challenge. USC will drop a conference game late in the season, and OSU will scrape together enough wins to make thier loss to Penn State "meaningful".

I tuned into to Clemson/GT just in time to watch clemson blow it.

I know I'm supposed to hate clemson for reasons that predate the fall of the berlin wall, but I really hate GT more for handing us a loss last year, so I'm a little bummed.

HAHAHA Baby Kiffin. Even Daddy couldn't save your pitiful offense. Jonathan Crompton should never start another game for Tennessee.

Ohio State...great game. The defense played their hearts out. Maybe Pryor will learn to be composed late in the game in the next two years. I imagine he will.

Michigan/ND...wow...just wow.

LOL other OSU. There's a reason Houston has good attributes in the NCAA video game! :D

Overall, a great week 2 of college football! Lots of excitement and close games.

lol PB that ND story had me in stitches lol :). Also I assume you're a UGA fan, living in Atlanta and all am I correct?

I went to the OSU game yesterday, and it really was the best birthday present I have ever gotten (my mom called and said: "hey, are you sitting down?") - and the stadium was electric. I think only a handful of you can ascertain what a stadium full of 107, 000 people is really like (the other really big football schools out there, maybe down South).

it just really kills me to see OSU lose, after pretty much outplaying the Trojans for 85 minutes. the defense is young, but they did play their asses off. it seemed like, for once, a team was more athletic than USC (a theme I think you will see in a couple more Trojans games).

Pete Carroll played Tressel-ball the entire game, and I'm not sure why. props to him for going for it so many times on 4th and short. these are things that Jim Tressel needs to start instituting; specially if he wants to keep his job. he can very well be considered to be "on the hot seat."

because when you think about it OSU could have beaten Texas last year, and should have beaten Penn State last year. much like USC, Ohio State attracts the big name prospects that want to make football their career. however, the Buckeyes are simply being outcoached the last couple of years.

Pete Carrol had a good game plan, despite the Trojans being mostly outplayed. Carrol is the master of in-game adjustments and I have no doubt that he played a large role in orchestrating that game winning drive.

Terrele Pryor is a great athlete, but he needs to manage the clock a lot better. it's hard to put trust in him to march down the field in a two minute drill. Matt Barkley wasn't special, but he won the game. winning in the Horseshoe will give a freshman QB one helluva confidence boost. no other frosh QB has ever won a game in Columbus - as say what you will about the Buckeyes it is still a very difficult place to play. just ask Colt McCoy.

anyways, I'm pretty devastated but it is nothing new to a Buckeye fan in the last couple of years. OSU played well and I think they should win the Big Ten, of course, with Penn State looming. the Buckeyes are always BCS bound (the BCS gives the program constant rimjobs over how much money the fanbase spends) and I would be happy if they played a team like Oklahoma and won.

Last edited:
Pete may have said go for it on 4th, but Jeremy Bates makes the play calls on offense. Credit him for dialing up the right plays at the right time.

The pace of the game was definitely in favor of OSU, but they never could take full control of the game. Field position is nice and all, but when you can't cash in and leave your team vulnerable for the loss, you're ultimately never in control of the game.

It's sad to see you go from being so jacked at the beginning of the season believing OSU would win this game to settling for a hopeful BCS appearance and beating your fellow brother in big game disappointments, Axl. Surely there's more to hope for than that...like a rematch with Texas at least.