• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

if it's the suspected Oregon VS Ohio State Rose Bowl - how many times do you think we are going to hear the letter "O" in the same game?

Okay, here's one for you - putting aside rivalry hate for a bit - whom would you most like to see fail? And I don't mean "oh, they lost a game", I mean have the program implode back into obscurity? As a Gator, I'm enjoying the misery at FSU these days, and I'm sure tOSU was (not so) secretly enjoying the dark days at MICH. But aside from your mortal enemy, is there a program out there that just needs to fail in your mind, to be reminded of reality, humility, and stop living on legend?

... My vote would probably be against USCw because it's been too long since Petey knew what is was like to struggle, what it feels like to be owned by other team(s) in the conference for years on end. .

I <3 the Cardinal. 5th....freaking 5th in the PAC-10 now, and staring at a Poinsetta Bowl? I iz a vewy happy man. =D I don't know if Stanford can win the conference, and I still kinda like the ducks, but man.....I hope USCw loses one more (vs UCLA or AZ) and drops out of the polls. That would make me even happier.

So, Wisconsin couldn't quite stop Rich Rod's spread from scoring, but lawdy that MICH defense is horrible. MSU took Purdue to the end in a thriller - anyone care? Would I call tOSU - IOWA a thriller? Possibly, as it came down to a last minute field goal situation, and overtime. But man, props for that backup QB at Iowa :) I'm with Axl, though....not real excited about it...less because it happens so much, more because it reflects a blah conference. Though I was really hoping to see Iowa (or even PSU) win the conference for a change. Still, if they line up against Oregon in the Rose Bowl, I am so betting for the Ducks. Not out of spite, but purely based on ability (and tOSU's lack thereof) .... and those black uniforms on the Quack Attack - sexy! Still, bottom line, Tressel should have tried for a lesser bowl, then he might get a win. Now? Another BCS loss, and the legend grows.

And I really would hate to be working Vegas trying to guess the line for FSU games (41-28 over WF, @WF? WTF?!?!!). And who told UNC to stomp on Miami's dick? Damn. ACC remains anyone's conference to a large degree (props to GT for wrapping up their half...I guess?). It appears they are pretty much locked up against CLEM for that conference championship (pending the CLEM beatdown on UVA).

Meh, so much for UF keeping USCe out of the endzone....twice. :\ AL rolled MSU, as expected, and certainly made better statements than UF did. And wtf is LSU doing keeping LaTech in the game that much? Props to UGA for the win, ya'll needed it, and it also helps the SoS of UF > AL ;)

TCU did real well, as they needed to, but better than I expected. I really hope they keep the BCS auto-bid, and I will very much be in favor of BSU picking up an at-large over one of the power conferences. Cincy keeps rocking (too bad they couldn't get a bowl matchup with tOSU)....well, maybe not rocking, but winning. And Pitt, whilst not on my radar for caring, gets some mad love for another ND loss. Fuck the Irish.

Next year is the year of the ibis.

Still just a top 25 team this year. It's disappointing that the Canes still can't get past UNC, but then again almost every defensive starter at the beginning of the season is out with injury.

As for which team I would love to see fall, I can't wait till Florida returns to the planet Earth after Tebow leaves, if Alabama doesn't make it happen sooner.

Tressel should have tried to lose another game love bandit? Am I understanding you right on that? Because OSU got pounded by UF, lost by 14 to LSU, and let Texas escape with a win last year, you think OSU is going to lose every BCS game they are in for ever right? That logic is funny. You make it sound like Tressel is 0-30 in BCS games. When in fact, he is 3-3. Not really such a bad record, yet people here seem to only focus on the negative.

2002-03 BCS Champs vs Miama
2003-2004 Win vs Kansas St
2005-2006 Win vs ND
06-07
07-08
08-09 losses.

3-3 record, not 0'fer like many make it seem like.

3,4 - you're probably right, and I am confident you will find A LOT of people feel the same way about FLA. UF will most likely hit another 7-5 season like they did after the '06 NC, and I don't expect they'll bounce right back up into contention, they may have a few 9-3/8-4 type years. While I like the taste of the orange & blue kool-aid, I know reality - I watched it with UF's basketball program that was sustained on great players and then promptly fell back into the 'also rans'....well, for basketball, they haven't even made the NIT for the past few years since winning NC's :\ I don't think the football team will fall that far, meaning they'll have winning seasons and bowl games, but they won't be atop the conference nor in the discussion for NC games for quite awhile. We ARE riding some special players (some, like TT, are losing the shine), and it will be very interesting to see if Meyer can assemble a decent enough coaching staff to develop highly ranked recruiting classes into another contendor. Right now, I'm not thinking he can, at least not very easily - and it will get worse when someone wises up and hires Charlie Strong as a head coach somewhere. Still, we're reveling in finally being relevant for now. We were nobodies, we were homecoming punching bags...then Spurrier taught us what it was like to win - and winning always breeds contempt by others. We faltered for awhile and are back and better than ever.....wondering when the kool-aide will run out :eek:

If you want my honest opinion, I'd have a lot more faith in Saban building a sustainable championship program that Florida. I expect Saban to keep ALA at or near the top of the conference, and one of the main SEC contenders for the NC going forward. Meyer? I want to believe, I really do, but he's losing coaches, and unlike the old 'reload' adage with players....coaches take time to gel, to get the right players and plays together, and I don't see him doing it. Great talent base, great school, but I've got to wait a few more years before getting faith in the man himself to sustain the program and not simply ride a phenom of a QB and a solid coaching (and player set) on the defensive side. We lost our OC to another school, and it has crippled us this year....I only see more of the same in our future :\

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

smotpoker - you are also correct, and your words match those of your fellow Buckeye fans in here, that Tressel made his name by winning the big games early. And I, like the media, are asking "What have you done for me lately". To which the answer in the Big10+1 is 'beat everyone, win it all, every year just about", which may be enough except for programs like tOSU (and USCw, and now FL) where you need to be in the NC discussion or your fans are disappointed (lord, the Gator fans are miserable 10-0 fans). But outside your conference, it remains "What have you done lately" which is lose, badly, in the last 3 BCS bowls. Actually, I'll give you TX was not 'bad' in that it was only 3 points. But your team lost badly to LSU (38-24, and it wasn't that close) and really badly to UF (41-14...and it wasn't that close either). Those other bowl games of '06 over ND (good win, against a team that shouldn't have been there), '05 big win over Oklahoma (or do you not want to count the Alamo Bowl....yes, the A-L-A-M-O bowl? ;) ), '04 was a touchdown win over KAN in the Fiesta, '03 was the win over MIA that but you guys on the modern era map (huge kudos on that one, but again .... lately?).

Still, your point stands - under Tressel in BCS games, he's 3-3. And, I think it speaks to his benefit that of those 6 BCS games, how many were for the NC? Half, I believe. Aside from FL if we make it this year, you only have USCw possibly being in the conversation that many times in the past decade or so. But he gets there how? By winning a conference that has been considered 'not the top' in that time frame :\ And what does he do there? Well, the last three trips, he lost. Before that he was great, awesome in fact, at 3-0. The trend is not so flattering. Given that trend, I make the joke that he should aim for a lower bowl to get a win again. But I tell ya what, if you have the confidence, I'll wager you on that Rose Bowl this year now that they are locked in. I'll be you straight up (no spread) that anyone that they face from the PAC10 will beat them. All the Buckeyes have to do is win. A bet between you and I, and the loser wears the avatar of the winners choice for what...a month? 3 months? until the next season? You tell me.....are you willing to take that kind of bet? Do you have that kind of confidence in Captain Sweater Vest? I do, I have all that confidence and more that he will lose this Rose Bowl.

Last edited:
3,4 - you're probably right, and I am confident you will find A LOT of people feel the same way about FLA. UF will most likely hit another 7-5 season like they did after the '06 NC, and I don't expect they'll bounce right back up into contention, they may have a few 9-3/8-4 type years. While I like the taste of the orange & blue kool-aid, I know reality - I watched it with UF's basketball program that was sustained on great players and then promptly fell back into the 'also rans'....well, for basketball, they haven't even made the NIT for the past few years since winning NC's :\ I don't think the football team will fall that far, meaning they'll have winning seasons and bowl games, but they won't be atop the conference nor in the discussion for NC games for quite awhile. We ARE riding some special players (some, like TT, are losing the shine), and it will be very interesting to see if Meyer can assemble a decent enough coaching staff to develop highly ranked recruiting classes into another contendor. Right now, I'm not thinking he can, at least not very easily - and it will get worse when someone wises up and hires Charlie Strong as a head coach somewhere. Still, we're reveling in finally being relevant for now. We were nobodies, we were homecoming punching bags...then Spurrier taught us what it was like to win - and winning always breeds contempt by others. We faltered for awhile and are back and better than ever.....wondering when the kool-aide will run out :eek:

If you want my honest opinion, I'd have a lot more faith in Saban building a sustainable championship program that Florida. I expect Saban to keep ALA at or near the top of the conference, and one of the main SEC contenders for the NC going forward. Meyer? I want to believe, I really do, but he's losing coaches, and unlike the old 'reload' adage with players....coaches take time to gel, to get the right players and plays together, and I don't see him doing it. Great talent base, great school, but I've got to wait a few more years before getting faith in the man himself to sustain the program and not simply ride a phenom of a QB and a solid coaching (and player set) on the defensive side. We lost our OC to another school, and it has crippled us this year....I only see more of the same in our future :\

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't think Florida falls that far. More like 9-3 next year. Meyer will make sure they are a good team, and as much as it pains me to say it he will probably have continued success. I just don't think that Florida, or any program in this era, can sustain that kind of greatness. It's similar to when Leinart and Bush left USC, except you play in the SEC and not in the PAC-10 (in a down decade, nonetheless).

And to clarify due to prior bluelight jinxing, I don't necessarily think the Canes win the title next year, but I have no doubt that they have the talent and coordinators to win it. It should happen, assuming they stay relatively free of injuries unlike this year.

I don't want to sound so spiteful, but I absolutely can't wait until next year when Tim Tebow and most of his Bible Belt magic leaves the University of Florida. Tebow and the Gators have beat up on the NCAA for four years, it is going to be great to watch the program fade back into mediocrity for a couple of years.

as much as people hate on OSU, most programs would be envious to be perpetual winners (to only lose perhaps 2-3 games the most out of every year).

(only a couple, because I do believe Urban Meyer is such a great coach that he will get it back on track with a new recruit or two. that is, if he doesn't go to Ohio State or ND)

am i the only one that sees UF doing just fine next season? I'd wager a 10 win season, minimum.

and jimmy: i sincerely doubt he's going to trade florida's culture and recruiting base to coach for anybody else. He's got a good thing going, and florida rewards him well, and will pay to keep him.

I'm sure there are many more like-minded peeps.

however, an Ohio boy can only dream of the most bleakest possibilities that would even make Charlie Weis cringe.

UF would be aided in the fact that the conference, again, won't be so tough. I don't see UGA being so much better next year - while I do see LSU running away with the conference.

I love this grassroots idea, promulgated by a couple posters in this thread, where the SEC doesn't have a lock on the championship again next year, therefor its time to take stabs at which conference is going to be better than the rest next year.

The SEC, and other conferences where the population is rising, and where you can play football all year round, are going to have a long term edge over places that are losing people and have 4 seasons. It doesn't get to be the ACC's year just because somebody wishes it very very hard, nor does it get to be tOSU's because its unfathomable that they could be out of the spotlight for this long.

Frankly, I see Florida faring just fine next season. Have you seen the backup QB play? The Gators have an obscene level of talent, deep on the bench. They didn't miss a beat when Chris leak left-- not because tebow carried the team for season after season, but because its a game-winning machine-- just like socal, just like texas. It takes multiple seasons for that lustre to tarnish due to poor recruiting classes, and competition regionally for top talent.

Florida wont field a bad team until miami is winning its conference championship, and bowden is gone. Bank on it.

As for the dawgs-- it is a mystery. Certainly they could do a lot of things right in the offseason, work some defensive problems out, and maybe some talent matures into people like moreno (thinkin' ealey). Of course it could go the other way, and we could fight for a spot in the bowl season. That's the kind of environment UGA has to play in, and that's the reality. Teams like LSU and UGA can win NCs or at least BCS bowls, and then lose someone in a skill position and have to fight to keep their reputation.

I'm all for firing our D coord, btw. Call me ungrateful, but its unacceptable given the slide of late.

Love Bandit, you got a bet! Let's do it for 3 months. Sound Good?

It's on :)

Axl & Pander, I think everyone is ready for St. Timmy to move on (even some of us UF fans, at least in that we blame him for our offensive sluggishness this year....some of it justified, some of it the OC issue). A big part of that sluggishness has also been a lack of recievers, several of whom got injured and are out for the year, the rest of whom are on the field but not getting the ball (they suck? Timmy can't find them? all of the above?). Next year with Brantley, a much better pocket passer without the fullback running ability, we will be a completely different team. Add to that however much we'll lose off of defense (intact 2 deep from last year = lotta seniors or underclassmen that may go early). Will we be better than this year? Hard to argue with 10-0, even if it feels icky right now, but in all I don't think we'll be better. Defense will be good, perhaps solid, but not stellar. Offense is a HUGE question mark, unless we get our receiving corp to grow up and find someone that can call offensive plays consistently. We'll still have decent running backs, a passing QB, and we'll be more of a traditional team than the spread that Meyer has been able to run with Tebow. But can the program evolve and re-invent itself in that first year? I think 10 wins is a reach, even with 12 games (and ooc against Miami(OH), USF, Appy St, and FSU) I see us losing USF (home game, but possible), @ Alabama, and ... well, maybe 10 wins is possible. The rest of the schedule isn't that tough, other than the 'who knows' games against UGA, LSU, and FSU. Easily 7-5, conceivably 11-1, most likely 8-4 or 9-3. But all this is from an internal look with UF's program, not really looking that hard at other teams (does ALA lose key players, are they ready to reload; does FSU change staff and have a decent impact in their first year; how many players are incarcerated for TN when the game rolls around ;) ; will USCe finally get it together (lol); etc).

I love this grassroots idea, promulgated by a couple posters in this thread, where the SEC doesn't have a lock on the championship again next year, therefor its time to take stabs at which conference is going to be better than the rest next year.

The SEC, and other conferences where the population is rising, and where you can play football all year round, are going to have a long term edge over places that are losing people and have 4 seasons. It doesn't get to be the ACC's year just because somebody wishes it very very hard, nor does it get to be tOSU's because its unfathomable that they could be out of the spotlight for this long.

The SEC and ACC will be the power conferences of the future. They recruit in pretty much the same regions for the same players. The ACC coaches are catching up to the SEC ones in terms of skill. Most of the ACC has year round football. If you look at the teams, Georgia Tech and North Carolina are rising stars, FSU and Miami will return to greatness eventually (next year for Miami), and Virginia, Maryland, NC State have good seasons every once in a while. Even Duke is approaching respectability. Virginia Tech is a perennial 9-3 program. Not to mention Clemson, who with better coaching can be a national title contender.

And just because Florida is deep and good, doesn't mean they will win a title, or even contend for one. There are too many good programs out there. Florida will be pretty damn good, but return to Earth.

Next year is the year of the ibis, with Jacory Harris improving and our defense returning intact and in their upper class years.

I'm sure there are many more like-minded peeps.

however, an Ohio boy can only dream of the most bleakest possibilities that would even make Charlie Weis cringe.

UF would be aided in the fact that the conference, again, won't be so tough. I don't see UGA being so much better next year - while I do see LSU running away with the conference.

I think Brantley will do fine replacing Tebag wining 9 or 10 games easily. They will be very talented. And I think with a year under their belts, UGA freshmen will make a bigger impact and, if we get a coaching change on our D, UGA could have a great season, depending on the QB situation. Lots of variables for UGA. I'm hoping for a return to the SECCG. And wishing the Big Ten would have a championship game. Makes no sense. Any Big Ten team "could" beat Ohio State this year. It's just one of those years.

Next year is the year of the ibis,

Yeah, keep banging the wrong drum-- Jacory harris can't even lead miami to victory over the tarheels. We are talking about unranked teams here. Your highest ranked opponent of the season is 7, meanwhile, my middling dawgs have to play numbers 1 and 4. otheres have to play numbers 1 and 2! This is causing some serious statistical distortion for homestead homers like yourself. if the ACC doesnt send a strong team to a BCS bowl (for a decisive win), and if your OOC opponents don't get any harder than uconn, don't expect to have people outside of your conference agree with you anytime soon. Your conference needs to get in line behind some others who are poised to make a run at the "power conference" mantle.

Yeah, keep banging the wrong drum-- Jacory harris can't even lead miami to victory over the tarheels. We are talking about unranked teams here. Your highest ranked opponent of the season is 7, meanwhile, my middling dawgs have to play numbers 1 and 4. otheres have to play numbers 1 and 2! This is causing some serious statistical distortion for homestead homers like yourself. if the ACC doesnt send a strong team to a BCS bowl (for a decisive win), and if your OOC opponents don't get any harder than uconn, don't expect to have people outside of your conference agree with you anytime soon. Your conference needs to get in line behind some others who are poised to make a run at the "power conference" mantle.

North Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Clemson (our three losses) are all going to be ranked, 9-3 teams by the end of the regular season. We played Oklahoma and won. We beat the #7 team in the country. And this team is seriously depleted by injuries (both starting defensive ends, 3 linebackers in the 2 deep including the star of the defense, Sean Spence, Marcus Forston, and I can go on and on).

Harris is a sophomore who will see great improvement next year, the defense will return healthy, and provided the injury bug doesn't hit us as ridiculously hard as it did this year, the Canes will be national title contenders. They would not have lost to Clemson or NC had they had only a regular amount of injuries.

By the way, they play Ohio State and Pitt next year, along with South Florida. That's a pretty strong out of conference schedule. I don't know where you are getting this weak OOC schedule from.

^^
That is a strong OOC in the coming year. Clearly they are making a run at it. I just don't expect them to get out of it with more than 9 wins.

I like JH at QB, but I have to keep asking myself what happens when he actually faces a pass rush and can't sit back there floating the ball to his choice of receiver. Yes, defensive depletion hurts your record, and yes, the offensive has been explosive at times. I don't think they'll be a NC contender next year, as I agree with pander that they win only about 9 games, but they will be much better ranked...or at least do a better job of holding onto their rankings when they get up there next year. Good luck to them. I don't really hate them as much as I do FSU, mostly because they've been off our schedule and faded to being a nobody in recent years. Nice to see them come back, compete with UF, and see USF fighting to be somebody - I have plenty of state pride (as long as UF is on top ;) ).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Friday Fun:
9:30 PM ET No. 6 Boise State at Utah State (+23.5) - only on here because of the 3 Friday night games, it's the best. Sounds like the wife gets taken out for date night, no TV to watch.

Saturday for the weakest weekend of the season :\:
12:00 PM ET No. 10 Ohio State at Michigan (+12.5) - A chance for MICH to play spoiler, to make tOSU possibly share the title. A chance for Sr. Day in Ann Harbor, to get Rich Rod a little cooler in his seat, and give a spark for the future. I'm going to hope MICH wins, despite how much I hate them, and it's less about hating on tOSU for this week as much as it is about hoping MICH can provide some level of competition for them in the future.

12:00 PM ET Duke at No. 20 Miami (FL) (-20) - Showing on EspnU...da 'U' ;) Meh, even with a depleted defense, UM rolls this one.

12:00 PM ET Maryland at Florida State (-19) - Shit. FSU is favored by that much, they will probably make a bowl game with this win, regardless of what UF does to them next week :!

12:30 PM ET Oklahoma at Texas Tech (+6.5) - Really? TT isn't favored? I say it's pile on time, and TT takes the chance to kick OU while they down and falling lower.

1:00 PM ET Kent State at Temple (-11) - Why is this here? Because Temple is 6-0 in conference and has a solid shot of at least sharing the MAC conference title. How many times have you ever heard of that? And yes, I probably just jinxed them.

2:30 PM ET Connecticut at Notre Dame (-6) - On NotrelameBroadcastCunts, of course 8). And yes, I'm pulling for UConn with the upset. Gawd I hate ND.

3:30 PM ET No. 8 LSU at Mississippi (-4) - I'm surprised the line is that close, but then again, I'm not. This could have been for the SEC Western Division...but it's not. Both schools have something to prove, but I see LSU winning this one, probably in a 27-10 type of game. The only caveat is if they are looking ahead at anything (next game ARK? Bowl game?)....probably not, they should win strong.

3:30 PM ET No. 14 Penn State at Michigan State (+3) - PSU is only favored by a field goal? I suppose so, given the fight MSU gave to Iowa recently. How about a classic Big10+1 game, in the snow, with either 3-0 or 10-7 PSU winning? I'll go 13-7, why not.

5:00 PM ET No. 19 Oregon State at Washington State (+31.5) - Why is this here? A win puts OSU in a position to play OU for the PAC-10 title :) A bit bigger than the already huge in-state rivalry game they usually have.

7:00 PM ET Vanderbilt at Tennessee (-17) - I wish Vandy would beat them. I don't think they'll even cover the spread. Vandy defense will play decent, but still make TN look better than they are; and the Vandy offense won't do shit against Monte :\

7:30 PM ET No. 25 California at No. 17 Stanford (-8) - A win keeps Stanford close to a share of the PAC-10 title. When's the last time you heard that? I don't know if Best is playing for Cal, but they will lose, regardless, IMO. - Edit, I'm wrong. To share the title, they'd need OSU to lose this week to Wazzu (highly unlikely) and then have OSU beat OR....but OSU already beat Stanford so the tiebreaker means the best the Cardinal can do is tie for second :\ Moving on.

7:45 PM ET Kentucky at Georgia (-9.5) - are we set for another high scoring track meet with the way UGA's defense is playing? Maybe. Will UGA win? Maybe. I don't see this being bigger than a 10 point differential at the end of the game, but I do think both teams score more than 20. *Special condolences to our UGA bretheren, as UGA VII recently passed. Reports are it was a heart related condition, speculation persists it was from to many heart breaking losses to the Gators. <3

7:45 PM ET Kansas State at Nebraska (-17) - Why is this here? Winner takes the Big12 North and plays TX in the conference title game. For KSU, that would mean going in with a 7-5 record...including a loss to LA-Laffeyette....w00t. :| At least NEB might make a game of it against TX...probably not, but they might.

8:00 PM ET No. 11 Oregon at Arizona(+6) - College Game Day!!! :Yawn: :\ Win this, and OR is a rivalry game away from an outright PAC10 title and the Rose Bowl (where they promptly beat tOSU's ass, simply so I can win a bet :D ;) ).

Last edited:
I can see Ole Miss beating LSU this weekend... I can also see UConn beating ND, and yes, I would love it as well.

*Special condolences to our UGA bretheren, as UGA VII recently passed[/url]. Reports are it was a heart related condition, speculation persists it was from to many heart breaking losses to the Gators. <3[/QUOTE]

Thanks for thinking of Uga VII and the Bulldog Nation. Having only witnessed 2 losses to UF (remember, he's only been our mascot for 2 years!), I would be the one to keel over from heart problems having only won less than a handful of games against UF since I've followed college football. : )

I think we beat Kentucky, esp. if Randall Cobb does not play (they said he's doubtful, but I'll believe that when I see it). I hope our D can contain them but this is typically a high scoring affair almost every year.

Then it's TECH. Georgia Tech. The Joke by Coke. North Ave. Trade School. The Nerds. The NATS. Whatever you call them, they're classless children. Punks. After having made many offensive comments upon hearing about the untimely death of Uga VII, I wouldn't be surprised if it's bedlam in the stands at that rinky-dink Bobby Dodd Stadium. They are 10-1 and with that option offense, I think they have a very good chance at beating us. But we play games for a reason. If you can't tell, I hate them. HATE. And I will be there to support my Dawgs.
[end rant
Go Dawgs!