• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

quitting weed after heavy use

Rad62

Bluelighter
ive been smoking weed everyday multiple times for the past 2 years and have to stop for drug screening/court-ordered testing. i just wanted to know if anybody here has quit so abruptly and what i might expect in the next few weeks...

I've been smoking daily for about to years now also. Sometimes I take a break just for the hell of it. Nothing really happens, maybe some anxiety or some trouble sleeping but nothing more.

Yeah and I get kinda pissy about stuff,but dont sweat it,its not like H withdrawal or anything

This is more suited to Cannabis Discussion, so I've reported it and asked it to be moved there.

Anyway, it always seems much harder than it turns out to be. I was expecting to be climbing the walls craving a smoke like fuck, but it honestly isn't that bad :)
As mentioned above, a bit of anxiety (maybe, depending on the individual), trouble sleeping, lack of appetite, a lot of sweating (I experienced this, dunno if others do), slight cravings, crazy dreams (due to weed making you forget your dreams. You still dream on weed, but you don't remember them at all and it feels like you don't dream) and that's about it really.

Good luck :) It'll be good for you. You'll feel so much more clear-headed.

It's probably lost it's magic for you by now anyway. Weed smoking habit is imo one of the worst. Can't remember shit, feel crappy without it, upper respiratory problems, anxiety, paranoia, headaches, etc. It's much better to use it occasionally. That way you'll get much better highs. Just like fapping. If you do it everyday, it's not so great. But if you wait atleast a few days, it's a LOT more rewarding. For wd's I reccomend eating dark chocolate (70-90%), Omega fatty acid supplement, and a multivitamin/mineral. Also get some cardio excercise to help sweat it out of your system. With all that, you should be back to normal by a weeks time.

Unlike other posters, I experienced a great deal of difficulty quitting weed.
I had all the emotional problems you hear mentioned, including bad mood, being quick to anger, everything looking dark to the point of near-depression, etc., but I also had a host of physical symptoms - withdrawal symptoms.
I had trouble sleeping, I needed much more sleep than normal, I felt like I had a cold or flu, I had no energy all day every day, my throat hurt, my body produced great amounts of mucus, etc.
These symptoms lasted for about a month, full strength, and another few weeks at partial strength before they wore off and I was left with a constant feeling of energy and clarity.
Good luck!

I smoked pretty much daily for four years, other than a few breaks to bring back the magic. But I got irritated, mild anxiety, and a bad headache. Nothing unbearable, although I've been thru H withdrawals, so I guess I can't talk. But really, its not that bad.

crazy dreams (due to weed making you forget your dreams. You still dream on weed, but you don't remember them at all and it feels like you don't dream)

This is so true and kinda scary, you dont expect it coming and all the sudden you have some crazy vivid ass dreams

When I quit regular cannabis use years ago to improve short term memory while studying I did find I got several of the above symptoms. Not bad enough to drive me up the wall but enough to be annoying. I have two tips that really helped, one is to take a 5-HTP supplement (a serotonin precursor available in health food stores) which helps with both the potential depression and sleep issues (you should talk it over with your doctor if you're already on SSRI or SNRI antidepressants though as I don't know if combining could result in serotonin syndrome. This even helps with the freaky dreaming since the melatonin which regulates sleep patterns including REM sleep is metabolised from serotonin.

The other tip is remarkably simple but helped me no end - take some aerobic exercise (even if it's just a brisk 15 minute walk) in the morning and the evening (not within 2 hours of bedtime for the evening one). This'll do wonders for your chill, honest %)

Good Luck and Best Wishes, Ethnobot

main thing i noticed is waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat , literally the whole bed was soaked . that lasted about 2 nights . and just generally irritable

never quit for more than a week and a half though , been smoking maybe 5 years

used to be all day everyday , now i just smoke half a gram at night time . if that

also bout the dreams on weed. for the last maybe 18 months iv been havin the same very realistic dream every night without fail , its sorta starting to freak me out

As someone who has gone through Benzo and Opiate withdrawals this is kinda insulting lol

Its weed.... You'll probably psyche yourself out more then anything

As someone who has gone through Benzo and Opiate withdrawals this is kinda insulting lol

A lot of us have been through opiate withdrawal along with other medication withdrawals, but just because "it gets worse than weed withdrawal" that doesn't mean what the OP is going through is easy. Everyone is different and he could be having a very hard time, you shouldn't undermine someone like that just because the withdrawal from marijuana isn't as bad as other drugs. He might be havin a hard time so you should try an show some support rather than being a dick about it.

^Good post. I've been through withdrawal from other drugs (currenlty benzo's) and have found weed to be pretty difficult to stop...I would get very anxious, insomiac, no appetite....however, all that lasts for about three days r so and then starts getting back to normal after about a week.

That said, the last time I "quit" pot I went from smoking 2oz a week or so to nothing and felt great; bit nervous, but otherwise fine. I've started smoking a little bit again (stopped for about two months) and I get fuckzored. :) Only smoking about 50-100mg every few days too....

I'd expect -

3 nights of Insomia - if you dont normally use benzo's...they can help..they are more addictive though...but not for a few nights, alternatives could include Melatonin or just do some excersize in the evening,

Loss of appetite.. try and maybe drink some protein shakes, milk shakes, milk with some kind of flavouring in it... chocolate .. just try eat something, maybe lay off the sugar at night

You'll probably be more angry than usual, and perhaps even pace around a bit and have excess nervous energy ... just be more conscious of it than anything, and ride with it, try not to asplode at people for no reason / little things (and maybe warn anyone in advance)

If you smoke cigarettes and also smoked bongs with weed mixed with cigarettes (not sure how you did it) then you'll have a major craving for cigarettes.

You'll most likely have trouble thinking and/ or with your thoughts for a few days, this is just your chemistry levelling out. Ride with it, don't plan to do anything requiring too much brainpower .. watch tv.. play video games, but don't try and write your thesis.

Have activities to keep you entertained.

If you didn't smoke out a bong, you'll find the withdrawal much easier.

By the end of day 3, you're sleeping will return

By the end of day 6 ish, you're appetite will return

By the end of week 1, you're moods will be better - end of week 2 they should be much better

im sorta with slim viktor on this one, its pretty rough for me, but also im very sensitive to weed, as in i would get ultra high (acid like) high on it, so maybe the withdrawal effect mirrors that. i would probably only smoke about half a gram a day to but of ultra high grade from the best cannibus clubs. of course some days would be alot more, and a some days a little less.

^Good post. I've been through withdrawal from other drugs (currenlty benzo's) and have found weed to be pretty difficult to stop...I would get very anxious, insomiac, no appetite....however, all that lasts for about three days r so and then starts getting back to normal after about a week.

That said, the last time I "quit" pot I went from smoking 2oz a week or so to nothing and felt great; bit nervous, but otherwise fine. I've started smoking a little bit again (stopped for about two months) and I get fuckzored. :) Only smoking about 50-100mg every few days too....

I'm also going through benzo withdrawals right now and as far as the intensity of the symptoms, they are quite comparable to what I went through with marijuana. The main difference is that benzo withdrawals seem to go on forever whereas most of the marijuana withdrawal symptoms resolve within a couple of weeks.

Its weed.... You'll probably psyche yourself out more then anything

pr0d1gy get out of the thread, you fail to see the real reason for these boards. and if you think quitting weed was easy then it must have been because you were too much of a pussy to keep smoking every day in the first place, probably because you were so busy getting "psyched out"

seriously, just because i havent gone into full blown heroin w/d (or whatever drug problem you are trying to use to pitifully make yourself look tougher), doesnt mean i dont need the same support as you do