• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

quitting weed after heavy use

thanks for the advice, sorry i lost my head but that shit was uncalled for, even if just a joke. i cant take 5-HTP because of the risk of serotonin syndrome with zoloft...should i disregard this?

The 5-HTP was my suggestion and a re-read of my post will show I warned about the possibility of serotonin syndrome with SSRI/SNRIs. I would indeed avoid this if you are taking Zoloft to be on the safe side. You may want to discuss your antidepressant with your doctor if you feel comfortable with doing so since you may benefit from a small dose increase in the short to medium term while getting over the psychological addiction and brain chemistry screw ups of quitting the weed.

The exercise advice I gave still holds true though and you may want to consider some dietary advice: Eating less sugar and more wholegrain will help stabilise your blood sugar which can help with the feelings of fatigue you may be experiencing. If you can't take 5-HTP it's well worth eating two servings of turkey per week and snacking on bananas - both these foods will help supply your body with building blocks for serotonin/melatonin neurotransmitters but there is absolutely no danger of your body producing too much from them (it just doesn't work that way). Cutting out saturated fats for a few weeks and eating some oily fish (salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel [I hate mackerel but I mention it in case anyone doesn't]) will help uncloud your thinking by supplying your brain with the essential dietary fatty acids it needs in place of fats that bind to the same parts of cells but don't work.
Eating your veg and taking a multivitamin will improve your mood over 2-3 weeks too.

I'm not saying become a health freak for life - cutting out weed was so much simpler before the nanny state in westernised countries outlawed kava extracts that were marvellous for weaning of pot - but looking after what goes in to your body and brain will give you a fighting chance to stay clean by improving your mood and feeling of connectedness with life naturally and with few side effects ;)

Shout at me if you're grouchy and you think I'm preaching lol - you can't do worse than my ex :D

Peace and the best of luck, Ethnobot

I'm a little intimidated by the nature and tone of the posts in this discussion. I came upon it because I'm having difficult, on-going withdrawal problems from marijuana. I don't want to be called a wimp, or to have someone say it's all in my mind, or that I'm whining. Please.

I have smoked pot heavily since 1980 - 35 years. I've managed to keep down jobs, get degrees, teach at a university, tutor privately, raise kids, smoking all the while. I began to have upper respiratory issues I could no longer ignore, so I made the resolve to quit. It was three months ago when I got pneumonia, the last straw, and the last day I smoked. I went through the regular withdrawal signs such as extreme loss of appetite, and all food tasting like cardboard (I've lost 30 pounds in 3 months, and I was not heavy to begin with), intense sweats, hot & cold flu-like symptoms, sore throat, vivid dreams and nightmares, difficulty sleeping...at all for a while. The urge to smoke again hasn't been an issue until recently because I had so much extra lung trouble from the pneumonia, I couldn't imagine putting smoke of any kind in there. Now I find myself wanting pot badly, though; I look around for it like I've lost something undefinable. I still get occasional sweats, and still have trouble sleeping. Three months after quitting I still feel more tired when I wake up than I did at bedtime. The dreams are still usually wild - every night I have dreams the like I only would have had once every few months when I was young. The worst thing is that I can't seem to find my happiness. I may feel okay inside, but the smiling has gone, and activity is at a low ebb; my body weak. Perhaps it's because of how long I smoked - 35 years of chronic pot smoking. Never without it. I don't know how long it will take my body to up its production of serotonin once more. Is it possible that may never happen? So now I'm patiently setting my sights on a 6 month benchmark. I'm proud that I've quit, but I seem to only rarely be happy about anything, mostly flat, and I seem to go on these rants when I'm writing e-mails; I never used to do that. So I'm on a bit of a roller coaster with a tendency toward anger about things that don't much matter. I mostly don't think about having quit any more, and I don't want it at all, but I experience the continuing withdrawal symptoms just the same. I know others must be having long term serious problems adjusting to being pot-sober, so I wanted to throw my honest experience out there as encouragement. People in my past have told me I would never quit. I'm proving them wrong each day. I'd appreciate it if no one sees fit to attack me because they think my post is somehow a slight on them.

I do have tools to fight back against this persistent "syndrome", and I will win. But I wish for other strugglers out there to know that it can be a long haul for some of us, no matter what the usual experience or condescending wisdom may dictate. If you're having a hard time for a long time, don't compare yourselves with anyone. Let's not give up. We can make it through!

Oh, Moderator, I do read the long books. I'm handicapped, but I'll try to follow your suggestion about exercise. It's been dang hot, but I'll try to do better, sleep better.

And thank you.

I smoked medical for 15 years..
Everyday for 10+ years.. 2-3 times a day about a gram a day in my glass bowl aluminum one hitter and occasional blunt (skunky stuff only thats all my person Would get) and let me tell you i quit cold turkey 2 months ago n its harder on me than getting off hydrocodone was when i took it. N thats a "real" drug. I quit cause i wanted too but also kinda had to at the same time for a couple reasons. Everybodys diff yeah but im a good 2 months clean now and i still think about it every day as much as i try not too and still keep like a half gram, 2 month old nug just to look at and play with when i want too all while i know i will never smoke it. Ever. Again. But anyways the first 2-3 days was fine. But about day 4 or 5 the hell begun. I had anxiety out the ass i couldn't leave i couldn't drive i thought i was dying all day long and felt like i was gonna pass out all day long. I couldn't sleep and when i did i had terribly scary vivid dreams that seemed so real n i remember all them so well even now. I also had a little prob eating but not bad actullay. I felt like shit. Still feel like shit but a little better maybe? But idk cause im dying on the inside. And outside. I try to be happy and smile for my kid but i sometimes hate to even wake up. I only do it for them. Im always miserable.. And have a fucked up thought process now and outlook on life and realizing how real things are. I think il never be happy again... But yeah Basically you wont get hit with w/d for about maybe 2-5 days after you stop. Expect sleep loss, scary or weird vivid dreams, trouble eating a little depends on person, real bad anxiety, feeling like somethings missing or you just lost a loved one or some shit like that just wigs with your nerves and emotions and makes you feel really diff and tripped out. Idk but that was just me. But i had a hell of a weed habit and weed was my go to drug in this fucked up world for so damn long. Since i was a young teen. When i stopped smoking i totaly lost a grip on the world and see things way diff. Its hard to handle. Fucked my head all up. Wish i never smoked ever. I Get weird thoughts like, why am i here? Am i here? Is this real life? Was smoking and being high real life? Whats the point of life? Is there afterlife? Were all gonna die. Scary shit. My advice is separate yourself as far from it as possible. Cut off your smoking buddies till you recover. Spend money on other things. Try to keep busy. Eat right and exercise. Get enough sleep. Find what you like doing most other than weed and do that and never look back. Good luck

Last edited:
Depends on how you used your weed. Use it right before bed to get a good sleep habitually? Expect difficulty sleeping. Mostly though, expect to be irritable, depressed, and probably bored. The" withdrawals" will be mostly psychological and (if you have self control and maturity) it should be relatively simple to overcome. Try chamomile tea or melatonin to help you sleep.

Ugh I've been smoking 1-2 grams a day for like 3 years without a break and now I'm about to start probation and I'll have to quit. Not looking forward to this.

Ugh I've been smoking 1-2 grams a day for like 3 years without a break and now I'm about to start probation and I'll have to quit. Not looking forward to this.

Im on probation and I still smoke everyday

pr0d1gy get out of the thread, you fail to see the real reason for these boards. and if you think quitting weed was easy then it must have been because you were too much of a pussy to keep smoking every day in the first place, probably because you were so busy getting "psyched out"

seriously, just because i havent gone into full blown heroin w/d (or whatever drug problem you are trying to use to pitifully make yourself look tougher), doesnt mean i dont need the same support as you do
Right on Rad62! Weed WDs are tough.

Swim does it every few months, grow have a shit load of weed smoke everyday till i dont really get stoned anymore then the weed runs out and i stop for a while till the next lot is ready, i dont notice anything really, in fact sometimes im glad of it as i get sick of weed when i have loads.

the WD's can actually be quite tough despite what ppl say, just stay strong and stick to not smoking. Well they aint really WD's but try meletonin for sleeping and hope you stick to quitting.

I smoked weed from the time I was 14 until four and a half years ago and I am 47,yep for 33 years I always had a bag in my pocket and swore I would never stop.Four and a half years ago I decided to quit just to see what it would be like,I didn't have any WD mentally or physically,and have been clean from it for four and a half years.Once a year for a week during vacation I will get a little bit to take to the beach,when we come home,I'm done with it.It's very odd that the older I get,the less it takes to get the desired effect.Even when I was smoking everyday the older I got the less it took to get me there.MJ is a wonderful thing and I am sure there are many uses that haven't even been thought of yet,it has to be one of the most helpful plants to grow on this earth.As I have got older,I suppose the old saying is very much true that anything in moderation is pretty much ok.It's a heck of a lot easier to do that with weed than anything else,these damn opiates are getting way out of control.I am a chronic pain patient and don't see for the life of me why anyone would want to get high on pain meds when there is such great quality of herb everywhere.I have very serious back problems and have been prescribed 5x20mg oxy ir per day,and not one fucking time have I got buzzed from them,even at two at a time,nothing happens but pain relief.I recently detoxed myself from the oxy and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.If you want a buzz,stick with the weed,an opiate dependence or addiction isn't worth any buzz at all!

Holy sh*t I'm going through the same thing! Smoked weed nearly every day for the past 2 years and now I have to quit cause I'm getting drug tested soon!message me if you need help man you're not alone bro.

I've been smoking cannibis then weed for the past 30yrs and I terrified of stopping, I've kicked heroin & crack I've relapsed on heroin for a month after being clean for nearly 8yrs so I'm going trough this detox right now so I know what all w/d's are like. My question to you all is do you think (even better if you know) my weed w/d's will last only 3 to 4 days after so many years smoking it??? I'd really appreciate a bit of advice.

Man I went fucking crazy when I quit. I was completely out of my mind, bat-shit crazy. I would describe it as very intense mania, the opposite of being chill on weed times 100. Also, I puked a lot and it didn't help my recovery process that whenever I tried to eat something healthy, I just puked it out (for the initial two weeks). I was skin and bones by the end of that, and boy was I grateful to be able to eat food again. See, I had been trying to quit weed for years but I kind of need to be able to eat food you know? Especially since I was a gym rat at the time, and also when I quit I didn't get a good sleep for the first month (zero hours at first, then a couple, slowly worked my way back to 7 or 8). I got flamed on this forum a lot, because a lot of people refused to acknowledge that what I was experiencing was a result of cannabis withdrawal. I was attacked and ridiculed and told I was abusing weed as a medication. Well, that just wasn't the case, weed abuse fucked me up big-time. I was quite clearly in a psychotic state, going through hell, a miserable hell beyond description, the worst I have ever felt in my life by far, the rock bottom point of my whole entire life, and I pretty much just got bashed describing my horrific experiences on this forum. I guess people like to stick up for the infinite safety in all cases of smoking a plant habitually over providing advice or support to people who are suffering as a result of addiction to it, but luckily I got a lot of support from my family and girlfriend, as well as medical professionals in my life. It's a far more powerful drug than people give it credit for.

Well, thing is it wasn't just withdrawal I went through. The physical changes to my brain over a decade of constant weed abuse finally caught up with me and I had a full-out mental breakdown. It was the farthest thing from fun ever. It made all the weed I smoked and those good times being high all the time absolutely not worth it in the slightest. The physical withdrawal effects lasted maybe a month. The obsessive cravings, the never-ending thoughts regarding when I would smoke again, how good my next hit would be, lasted 6 months. After that period, I never craved weed again and if I smoked it I would just have an extreme panic attack now, even from the tiniest puff. During those 6 months I thought about barely anything other than cannabis. I was living to see the next day, bedridden with severe rebound depression. Then, came the post acute withdrawal phase. The panic attacks I had been getting since I had quit weed became much worse for a while. They were so severe at one point that I was having them multiple times a day and showing up at the hospital ER begging for mercy, it was truly horrific. I'm still recovering from the extreme anxiety induced by weed abuse 2 years later. But I have more of a generalized anxiety disorder now, as opposed to the full blown panic disorder I had in the early stages. Obviously I am an extreme case, and I have nothing against weed except for the fact that it damaged me very very badly, and I personally didn't think it was possible to be damaged by cannabis. I was blind to the negative effects in a world of denial for so long. The whole thing really shocked me when I realized how addicted I was, but if I smoked weed all day and never ran out then in my eyes there wasn't any problem. Man, did abusing weed ever fuck my brain up at the end of the day. I can't believe that people actually claim it's harmless. That bullshit is what causes people to smoke stupid amounts of it and wind up with addictions and damage. It ruined my youth and now I'm spending my young adulthood slowly recovering from the long term brain damage. I estimate in a few more years I'll be good, but recovery from something like this takes a long-ass time. Honestly though think of the world of drugs, and how weed has somehow found this niche where it is generally viewed by society as separate from all other drugs. Like it's just some magical substance that just can't cause side effects but gets you really high.

For most people it's a pretty easy habit to break, just takes some willpower. For others it's so miserable that they will likely never stop. I don't believe in attributing generalizations to strong drugs which have such a disparity in effects among people who take them, based on the enormous number of variables involved such a dose, frequency of use, different bodies. To find out if it's hard for you to quit, you have to stop using it for a bit and find out for yourself. To me, there is no such thing as "hard drugs" or "soft drugs". I choose to listen to myself and my own body and the way different drugs have pros and cons when I pay attention to the details instead of what the general population agrees is acceptable. I find it ironic that marijuana and alcohol fucked my body and mind up above and beyond the most of all despite my use of many other allegedly more dangerous substances. Luckily I have managed to completely quit both of those things which were evil presences in my life doing nothing but harm and I've seen a lot of improvements since then. Best of luck for anyone trying to quit, I would encourage you to examine closely how weed affects you because society has built up this whole culture around the drug as well as spreading a benign opinion which sometimes doesn't match up with the actual experiences users are having with it.

Last edited:
I actually just decided to quit last night for personal reasons. I wouldn't consider myself a "heavy" user as I would only smoke after work and just a tiny bit because I never really seemed to developed a tolerance. Which I find strange btw because I've been smoking now for 4 years o_O anyways, I've taken small breaks before here and there and never seemed to get many withdrawal symptoms. I had a loss of appatite and trouble sleeping for a couple days, but that was it. I imagine quitting for me will be quite easy.