Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DXM (1600mg) - Experienced - trip to the hospital

frostedMann

Bluelighter
WARNING THIS IS VERY LONG

This is a trip report my friend wrote up, he wanted me to post this up here. I would not recommend anyone take this much cough syrup lol, i've taken about 650mg at most, I could not imagine 1600...

Ok, well I'm going to start this off with saying, I'm very lucky to be alive. My name is Ralph and April 29th, I took god knows how much DXM that day, but I'll explain from the start. I woke up that morning getting ready for my mom to leave for work, and when she walked out the door, I went to the Wal-Mart down the street and bought 2 5oz bottles of Delsym Orange. I'm only 17 so I can't buy it, but I do know that the self checkout doesn't ask for ID when buying Delsym. I leave the store and get back to my house and I planned on saving the second bottle of Delsym for later that week. I downed the first bottle, and might I add, I LOVE the way Delsym tastes. I want to make a Delsym vending machine or Delsym water fountain. Anyway, Its probably around 11 in the morning when I dosed, so I just sit back and watch TV while it kicks in. I haven't ate at all yet, so it should be pretty intense. Well the high comes pretty slow but I don't realize it. Around 1, I go back upstairs really confused and grab my other bottle of Delsym and chug it.

30 minutes later I totally forget whats happening and I have the sense that I'm not walking but I'm teleporting. I play some techno on the big TV and rave around my house with shutter shades on. I continuously walk around my house enjoying this "robowalking" feel. I seriously felt like I was watching my life from a audience. My hardwood floors were moving like a conveyor belt and my dogs were starting to morph into blob like things. I even tried to do some chores around my house but they seemed all to impossible. I then walked up my stairs to do something but quickly forgot, so I jumped onto my couch from the balcony. It didn't have any feeling at all and felt like I was falling for days.

By this time, it's around 4 and I was waiting for my parents to get home so I can see if I can pass this off in front of them. I was flipping through the channels struggling to read the words on the screen like they were trying to run away or something. I finally found the movie Coyote Ugly already half way over so I started watching it. What felt like 2 hours later was only 5 and time went by SO slow that I was getting pissed at my watch. I started to get into the movie and started seeing the characters faces and bodies distort and pop off the screen like a 3D movie, and the voices were getting high and then low pitched. I was having the time of my life just laying here watching this lame ass movie that seemed so awesome. Here it comes around 5 when Free Willy 3 came on, and I remember saying the name of the movie over and over and over again, not realizing my words were so slurred, I sounded like a newborn trying to talk. The movie was going at a pace where I felt like the little kid in the movie and I was walking around viewing the set and talkin to the people.

I was loving it. Then my step dad comes in the door, but I didn't believe it so I just sat there watching TV while he asked what was wrong with me. I struggled and finally got the words "I'm tired" out of my mouth after trying 10 times. He shrugs it off and goes outside to start fixing our koi fish pond fountain. I went out after him to see what was going on, and nearly busted my ass on the patio and kept getting asked whats wrong with me. So I changed the subject by asking to play monopoly with him on the Wii. He agrees and we go back inside to start the game. I remember landing on Oriental Avenue and buying it, then I completely lose it and wake up half way through the game with all my shit mortgaged. He then gets off the phone and tells me my mom is outside with some groceries. I go outside to help and play along but I couldn't walk worth shit or talk, and my vision was blocked like tunnel vision.

I grab a couple bags and try to walk to the door and fall out of her car. She then asks whats wrong and I keep telling her that I'm fine. So I try to go up the stairs to my front door, and l know I looked like a retard doing it, cause I felt my legs stiff as boards and would not bend while I walked up the stairs. We get into the kitchen and she then examines me, and even though I've been doin DXM since December, she still believes that I'm a drug free kid. I then put the bags down and try to go lay on the couch and then find myself hitting face first on the kitchen tile floor and my dog licking my face. I still didn't feel none of this. My mom then starts going on about how it could be head trauma from me busting my ass on the skateboard the day before.

I went along with "uh huh" and she continued to ask what I did today. I told her I straigtened up the house and watched TV and for some strange reason I couldn't move my right arm so I told her and she started to freak out about how she should take me to the hospital. She asked if I was hungry and I told her no. Some time goes by and I don't remember what happened then but I wake up in my moms bedroom with a digital camera in my hands trying to take a picture of the dog. My mom then instructs me to take the red eye out with the camera, but I tried to tell her you can't. She then got mad and I walk back into the living room to lay on the couch and they start quizing me on math. I'm pretty smart with math and take ace every math ive ever been in, so when I can't even tell them what Pi is, they worry. I remember telling them the answer to Pi was 314527 and they ask if there is supposed to be a decimal in there and I say no. lol. I then said the answer to Pi was 2. So next thing I know, I have my shoes on and we're going to the hospital. I don't really remember getting into the truck but I remember the ride down there and if you ever fast forward traffic and the lights are little lines down the roads, thats exactly how it looked while in the back of the truck. I then have the sudden urge to puke. I tell them to pull over and they pull into Lowes parking lot and I struggle to get my seatbelt off and then I bust my ass falling out of the truck and start to puke.

It wasn't much because I haven't ate in god knows when but I was still puking up something. My mom was freaking out by now cause she didn't know what was going on. All that was going through my head was "oh shit I think I'm overdosing" and just tried to stay awake as long as possible. My mom started asking me what Coyote Ugly was about and all I managed to say was a girl singing and then she asked what free willy was about and I said a boy and a whale. She just kept me talking and when we got to the hospital, they rushed me to the ER and the lady was asking me all types of questions and I was sweating so bad. I couldn't even see straight, all I remember being able to see was black with a small circle in the middle of what was really going on. It was like I would imagine looking through a paper towel roll would look like. I stared at the lady's shoe and just sat there with my mouth wide open and sprawled out over the chair. They then put me in a wheelchair since I can't walk and take me to a room.

They start hooking up all this stuff to me and taking my blood pressure. I remember seeing my mom and her face looked like a picture with low pixel count. I was freaking out at all the cords hanging on my shoulder and I looked at the screen for my heart and my blood pressure said 170 over 110. I literally thought I was going to die. The doctor then steps in and tells my mom to go outside and he asks if I've been huffing any paint or taking drugs, and all I manage to say was DXM. He's a doctor, he should know what I mean, cause trying to say "Dextromethorphan" would have been harder than speaking another language. My mom and the doctor then come back in the room and start asking me how much I took and I told her I accidentally the whole bottle trying to joke but she didn't get it. Obviously, god forbid my mom knows memes so I then corrected my self and said two bottles of Delsym. She then asks if I've been on other drugs too and I tell her bout Benedryll and Lortabs.

She asked how I could take 8 Lortabs and enjoy it when she felt bad off 1, but I couldn't talk well enough to explain. They doctors then put me in this big tube with a moving bed or something. I just remember sitting there for a long time and hitting it with my hands cause I wanted out. I got out of that and went to a room with a bed and a TV and when I looked at the wall, there were all sorts of animals and shit all over the wall and I thought I was seeing things. At this point I don't remember anything but my mom tells me I was grabbing out in the air and talking to myself and mumbling. I then remember smelling something burn and I was freaking out trying to get out of the bed and get out, and the doctors moved me to another room and assured me that nothing was burning. The next day which would be my afterglow, I still felt as high as the day before. They put me in a wheelchair and took me to some room to do a ultrasound on my heart. On the way there, we passed a place that said Pediatrics, and I remember spelling it over and over and over trying to figure out what it said. At the ultrasound place, the lady was telling me what was what in my heart but I couldn't process it so I just shrugged her off and watched the screen of my heart thumping really fast. My heartbeat was sounding like a drum roll and it kind of worried me.

We go back to the room and my mom is there with some psychiatrist or something and she started asking if I tried to kill myself or if I was depressed. I remember saying "I aint depressed, I just wanted to get high, damn" and they kept asking me why I did it, and the only answer that was logical was "I wanted to get high" lol. That whole day was just me in the room eating shitty hospital food and watching Rob Dyrdek Fantasy Factory. The next day, I'm pretty sober and they doctor explains what happened to me and told me I almost went into cardiac arrest and asked if I remember talking to them about what happened but I didn't remember a thing. I left the hospital May 1st and had to take my blood pressure 3 times a day for 2 weeks, and it ran high all the way till about 3 days before I had to go to the heart doctor.

Now, months later, my mom still thinks I sneak drugs and checks me everyonce in a while to see if I'm high. I realize now that I had a serious DXM problem, I used to take 400mg every day before school all throughout march, and every weekend since Christmas, I only got high on DXM. I pretty much was failing all my classes except pre-cal, and I blew all of my money on it.

tl;dr
I took way to much DXM, and almost died and had to stay in the hospital for 3 days.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_dxm
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_experienced
exptype_negative
exptype_healthissues
exptype_difficult
exptype_disaster
exptype_overdose
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
man. syrup can be deadly. that is the thing. Not like your taking 1500pure extract and getting a REAL trip out of it. I recommend that robo tripping or w/e ur into is not a thing to try to do chores or even be around people that are not experienced trippers.

Sounds awsome man . I did dxm once on 3 bottles of buckleys .
It's weird , I saw like loads of flashing colours , then felt like I was going to die and my shitty fucking crap life was going to end . I got a excited but then the feeling stopped . I then went to bed and felt like I was in a swimming pool . Dxm is awsome. !

Last edited:
Sounds awsome man . I did dxm once on 3 bottles of buckleys .
It's weird , I saw like loads of flashing colours , then felt like I was going to die and my shorty life was going to end . I got a excited but then the feeling stopped . I then went to bed and felt like I was in a swimming pool . Dxm is awsome. !

Buckleys is a anti congestion with NO DXM in it, lmfaoooo.

Anyway...it personally sounds like too me your friend couldve easily just stood home and slept off this high for a day or two. But better safe than sorry I suppose.

Buckleys is a anti congestion with NO DXM in it, lmfaoooo.

Anyway...it personally sounds like too me your friend couldve easily just stood home and slept off this high for a day or two. But better safe than sorry I suppose.

Well the buckleys I had had dxm in it . It's a cough syrup . And I checked the ingredients before chugging it Down obviously . It's common sense

I believe I Od'd in the same manner--2 delsym bottles ha

ya it sucks waking up with a tube inb your dick...I tried to yank on it when I was robo fried not knowing what the hell that is...and FUCK it hurt like hell!

delsym sucks so bad the time relased formula doesnt even have any hint of euphoria. just makes me feel retarded for a extremely long time.

Yeahh, just recently I was sent to the ER for ODing on DXM, I chugged one full bottle of cough syrup and swallowed a whole 24 pack of pills. I'm really light so the amount of medicine was too much for my body I guess. But I started throwing up and I blacked out for most of the time. I only remember bits and pieces of it, but I thought I was hallucinating in the hospital and if I went to sleep I would go back to my room.
This was in like, May and even though I almost died (I also stopped breathing) I would try DXM again but not as much as I took. I do Benadryl too, but it's def. not as good.

Ok, for the record it needs to be established you essentially took 1776 mg of DXM Polystirex. Poly doses it over a very long time. Usually the formula has 1/2 of the bottle ready to consume, so you get relief from symptoms NOW, and the plastic bead parts hold the other half to dose over 8 hours.

So you likely got about 8-900mg up front and then over the next 8 hours, another 8-900.

Thats not very safe. You did not state your weight, but that would be about 9mg/kg for me and i wouldnt do that for that long. If you were taking straight DXM powder you might have died. In fact, its possible that the delayed release is the reason you made it.

Please think and measure and do the math. I'm glad you are here to post this, but I dont like seeing people in the hospital. It makes shit illegal.

But on the side, Delsym is the shit. Mix it with Hbr folks. Take 1 bottle and then throw some DXM pills in too, and you get a nice stretched out trip that is intense early but mellows out slow. And the afterglow is the best part. I feel like jesus the next day. Well before acquiring tolerance.. meh.

you must have a low tolerance. i used to do like 1,200mg of DXM and trip. once i got to 1,500mg is when it was too much. lol.

you must have a low tolerance. i used to do like 1,200mg of DXM and trip. once i got to 1,500mg is when it was too much. lol.

The dude said he usually doesnt go over 650. He also did not state his weight which makes a dramatic impact on DXM dosage. In addition, he is taking Polystirex which is NOT the same as straight HBR.

Do not advocate those doses so freely without having facts. I've done 1200mg before, but I was also at the time 100kg so 12mg/kg is not that bad if done infrequently. If a 140lb person did that 1200 they'd be looking at 18mg/kg.

I just prefer doses over 1g be discussed more directly to somebody's weight.

damn. that was a crazy story. 1600mg is alot i've only done like 550mg and i thought that was pretty crazy, but my tolerance is pretty low. i don't know if you're friend necessarily had to go to the hospital, but good thing he's alright, sounds intense.

Stay off that shit guys. I know it seems like a good idea when you are young but the risk of frying your brain for the rest of your hopefully long life is just not worth it. Want to get out of you head and have a good time, try some bud and whip its. It will leave your brain in much better condition, trust me.

DXM is so awesome! 1600mg is too much, though. shit, i'm 150kg, and the most i ever took was 1400mg, and that made me feel shitty. in all honesty, i don't think you would have died. it actually takes ALOT of dxm to die on it. if its just straight DXM, then it's around 3000mg. I do 1200mg every time i take it, and i feel fine.

there is also no proof whatsoever that it causes any kind of permanent brain damage. in fact, a study showed that, contrary to ketamine and PCP, DXM doesn't cause Olney's lesions in mice.

Now, doing large amounts of it every day for months or years can cause a psychotic break. that's because it tries to force your brain to process a reality that it just isn't possible, and your brain can't handle it. the people that die off of 1500mg of dxm are taking medicine with other shit in it. or, they don't tartrate their dose, and they go for a level 4 plateau the first time.

it might have looked like he was going to die, but he was fine. dxm doesn't do any more to your heart rate and blood pressure than amphetamines. people are just scared of dxm because it makes you act crazy. it's stupid teenagers that don't know how to take drugs that give dxm a bad reputation.

i've been doing dxm for over 6 years, and at my last checkup, i was in perfect health. if you know how to take it, and don't go overboard, it won't ever do any harm to you.

like, don't ever buy more than you plan to take. if you want to take 800mg, then only buy 800mg. dxm can take an unpredictably long time to kick in, and it can piss you off causing you to take more. plus, once you do get high, you feel so good that you want to take more. it's not good to buy more hoping to "save" it.

all drugs are dangerous. even weed causes lung cancer. dissociatives always have the worst rep, though. they are unique drugs. if you don't like dissociatives, then don't do them. you'll never like them. if have to specifically want that drug to do a dissociative. they are NOT casual drugs, or party drugs. if you're looking for that, go take some percs or smoke meth. DXM is for people who want to explore themselves, and contemplate existence. it's not for kiddies that want to be cool.