• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids (Gabapentin) withdrawal, any advice?

Well, that is certainly a detailed taper. It seems sound, but a couple of points:

first off, DO NOT administer the antacid. Trying to reduce bioavailability to make them "less effective" is insane. This is especially true at high doses, since the BA of GP is inversely proportional to dose; therefore the BA may already be reduced. But in any case, taking something that reduces BA could lead to an unpredictable drop in BA, and is simply unnecessary if he is already tapering.
So just reduce the dose, and don't attempt to play with BA.

Next, I would slow down the initial taper. Go down by 300mg at a time, rather than 600. You see you are doing your taper in reverse; you are starting out by making large dose decreases at short intervals, and by the end your making VERY small decreases slowly. It should be the opposite of that.

Finaly, is they're a medical justification for this? Gabapentin withdrawal is generally very mild, and if it's helping him, then they hardly justify taking him off. If he's in as much pain as you say, he will have to have some sort of PS analgesic. The fact he has been in pain for over a decade does not somehow mean that he can "deal with it". In fact, pain tends to get worse as you get older, and pain tolerance universally decreases. My point, is that if he needs them, and if he benefits, then he shouldn't be taken off without a good reason. Does your doctor agree with this?

Perhaps he should try reducing the dose, and see uf it is still effective. Ir maybe it is time to switch to a PRN opioid. But pain is serious, and if not dealt with properly, it severaly decreases quality of life.

I suggest talking to a doctor, or at least consult people here

You are your husband's advocate, and as you yourself said, you function as a sort of "pharmacist". So it is up to you help him find a treatment that is both acceptable and effective. I wish you luck, and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, Lorne, you have some good points. The reasoning behind the taper being that way was that was how we got him up to the 3600mg, so "logically" I figured the reverse would be ok. But I can see what you mean. And the doc who is subbing for his reg PCP has said ok to the 300mg tabs and put in the prescription so we'll have that to work with and can do the smaller increments. And we'll be discussing it with the PCP when she gets back from vacation.

Part of the reasoning for at least drawing down the dosage, even if we don't end up eliminating completely, is that there is concern that the effectiveness is not that great. He still has pain in his neck and back as well as knees and hips. The way it was explained to us when he first started taking it, the nerves in his back "think" they are registering pain and fire messages off to his brain "ouch ouch" but the pain isn't really there. The medicine was supposed to "cut" that biofeedback whatever loop. But now I am no longer sure if this was supposed to be a short-term thing or what, and the pain clinic doc he saw is long gone, so I can't ask. And as well, I am not convinced that this is "phantom pain", and if it's real pain, this stuff isn't really taking care of it.

Also, I am seeing issues with mood/emotion management, memory issues, mild paranoia, kidney and liver function reduction, depression, and sleep problems. He never used to have these problems, and this is the only medicine he takes that seems that it might be causing some of these.

You suggested switching to a PRN opioid as an alternative, but he won't take them. Even when he is puking his guts out from the pain of a kidney stone, he won't take it. And we have a decent selection thanks to the kidney stones and my migraines, but neither of us like how they make us feel so we don't take them if at all possible. For him, he'd rather go to the ER. I guess I kind of can't blame him. His family's biochemistry is such that they are pretty sensitive to that whole class of meds so he hates taking them. At least in the ER he'll get an IV and they can pump fluids regardless of whether he is conscious or not (for a kidney stone). Sadly I can't do that at home. Before I forget, the "dealing with it" part comes from him. That's what he tells me, "I can handle cutting my thumb off, breaking my foot, smashing my leg in a motorcycle accident, but nothing's as bad as the kidney stone pain". Something of a cavalier attitude in my opinion, but I suppose he's entitled to it, having done all the things he's listing, thankfully prior to us getting married!

The bottom line is, I just want him to be happy and healthy. I hate seeing him suffer, and I hate when the doc says "Oh, we need to check levels of <insert whatever>" and we find out that some organ or another isn't working as well as it should. I am much younger than he is, and already face the fact that I will outlive him by a long time (my family tends to the high 90s), so anything and everything I can do to make his overall health and quality of life better, I want to do it. I'm greedy, I want him for as long as I can have him.

Update: Not sure if it's better for journal, but it might be a useful message. I ended my taper about six weeks ago, and have been experiencing depression and anxiety attacks ever since I began decreasing my dose. Despite my dose being stable for over a month, I still have these mood disturbances, which have forced me to split my dose over three periods in the day (so I can function at work). If I miss a dosing appointment, even by an hour, I can expect several hours of depression and anxiety. Magnesium helps to some extent, but high doses are the mot effective, and do not seem to last very long.

I felt this might be useful info for others who need to know the timeline of an effective taper. The time it takes for your body to readjust is insane.

So just reduce the dose, and don't attempt to play with BA.

Next, I would slow down the initial taper. Go down by 300mg at a time, rather than 600. You see you are doing your taper in reverse; you are starting out by making large dose decreases at short intervals, and by the end your making VERY small decreases slowly. It should be the opposite of that.

I definitely agree with this. Missing a dose, or decreasing a dose by more than 300 mg has very unpleasant side effect IME. Slow and steady helps avoid the possibility of a breakdown.

Gabapentin withdrawal is generally very mild, and if it's helping him, then they hardly justify taking him off.

I strongly disagree, gabapentin WD is far from mild. I realize it's subjective, but it's worth pointing out that no WD I've expereinced, including alcohol or methadone, has made me feel so miserable and suicidal.

I do agree that his pain treatment should be sorted out before-hand however. That's a critical item.

I strongly disagree, gabapentin WD is far from mild. I realize it's subjective, but it's worth pointing out that no WD I've expereinced, including alcohol or methadone, has made me feel so miserable and suicidal.

Gabapentin can do that if you get used to taking it everyday, for a long period of time. I think its great that you shared your story and update, as there are people who don't fully appreciate how terrible the WDs can be for some people. When I started taking gabapentin, the dr did not tell me that it could be addictive. No one talks about this, and its only after you go on it and try to get off that you find out.

I recommend exerice, Mg supplements and also 5-HTP, if you are not taking other medications that might interfere with that such as tri-cyclics. Also, load up on fruit and veg, VIT D, and Omega 3 fish oil capsules. I know this is all general advice, but it will really help the body if it has the right materials to return to baseline.

Gabapentin can do that if you get used to taking it everyday, for a long period of time. I think its great that you shared your story and update, as there are people who don't fully appreciate how terrible the WDs can be for some people. When I started taking gabapentin, the dr did not tell me that it could be addictive. No one talks about this, and its only after you go on it and try to get off that you find out.
Thank you both for the information. That is helpful for planning. We picked up the 300mg caps yesterday so I added them into the mix along with the 500mg of Mg that someone was recommending. Last night he didn't complain about feeling crap, as he had on Sunday night, so I think that's a good thing. We'll probably hang out at this level for a few weeks and see, before dropping it by another 300mg. So far pain levels are no different, so that's also good. I ask at regular intervals, every few days.

Re the doctor not warning about the side effects and the addictiveness of this medicine, EP158207, when did you start taking them? I am not certain that the doc that put hubby on these even knew about the downsides, because it was so long ago. Seems like a lot of new info came out in 2012 I guess? Not 100% sure as it wasn't something I was following, but seems to make sense that docs wouldn't know if the manufacturer was concealing info which it sounds like they were.

Anyway, thanks so much for the input and feedback, guys. I'll update with progress in a few weeks.

So what is going on in your brain with gabapentin withdrawal? From my understanding it doesn't bind to GABA receptors (yet it really helped me in phenibut withdrawal), and the way I understand most GABAergic drugs is when your body is used to having them it will stop producing its own GABA. What is your body not producing in the presence of gabapentin?

So what is going on in your brain with gabapentin withdrawal? From my understanding it doesn't bind to GABA receptors (yet it really helped me in phenibut withdrawal), and the way I understand most GABAergic drugs is when your body is used to having them it will stop producing its own GABA. What is your body not producing in the presence of gabapentin?

The reason 'why' gabapentin works is 'yet to be elucidated' meaning nobody can figure out why it works the way it does. If I had to take a stab at it I'd say that gabapentin has a downstream effect on neurotransmitters due to its method of action (binding to voltage-gated calcium channels), therefore withdrawal of the drug produces a dysfunction that feels 'bad'. Pretty simplified, but that's my best explanation.

I wish I had the means to test these things. It helped me so much getting off phenibut I feel like I owe it something. Sounds like it can also show its teeth though so it has to be respected.

Well if you know about Phenibut then you know how downstream effects work. That feeling of euphoria from Phenibut is not GABA-related, that is definitely downstream effects on dopamine and/or serotonin. So apply the same idea to gabapentin - although the neurotransmitters involved may be different.

I have been on 300mg of Gabapentin for a couple of months for Diabetic Retinopathy. I got almost every side effect this drug can give so I quit. This whole week I haven't been able to sleep, I have been sweating profusely, and my whole body hurts. Either way it feels bad! Sick of all of the drugs and going to check out a chiropractor who uses electrical stimulation for neuropathy. This is a horrible drug!

Incidentally, the manufacturer of this drug was recorded on tape yelling "and I don't want to hear SHIT about safety, I want this prescribed for sleep. ..." & went on to name 10 other conditions, such as headaches & insomnia, which is crazy to me.. of course others have done much much worse, oxycontin anyone? Plead guilty to 2 charges, 1 lying to drs saying the medication didn't cause withdrawals like other opiate medications and 2 giving the drug to people who didn't ned it. They paid 3 mill but in 2007 made 2. 7 BILLLION, I'd say the damage was irreversible! That was for anyone who " read" it doesn't cause any withdrawals. Unfortunately, I've been on gaba/ for years, it's the only thing that controls my neurological pain. I consider dealing with ANY drug companies a necessary evil. Also, more than 1/2 of the FDA is either paid directly by, or owns stock in, the pharmaceutical companies they allegedly are there to "monitor". They are supposed to hav OUR best interests at heart, I can assure you the only thing that benefits is their own pockets. Sorry for getting off topic, I hate seeing pple say ....it was safe in lab rats....when I know I will get sick if I St op taking it abruptly, & it's designed to take in high doses.

I have been on Gabapentin for around 2 years now currently prescribed 600MG 5 times a day.. I have run out early on occasion and the withdrawl symptoms are truly awful.. Flu like symptoms, waves of nausea, weakness, depression not to mention my stomach was so bad once on day 3 of withdrawl that I was practically drinking Pepto Bismol.. Actually out of all the medications I have been on -- Gabapentin seems to have the fewest adverse side effects BUT the withdrawals are the worst. I ran out and discontinued Adderall & Vyvanase early and those withdrawals are pretty mild and are done after day 3... Gabapentin withdrawl seems to linger on after the 5th day..
Tonight, I took 3 600MG of the Gabapentin Tablets and 'washed it down' with Mucinex cold syrup (nighttime one) it gave me a nice buzz but I literally was sipping the stuff from the bottle

Never even thought about taking the Gabapentin, as I (foolishly) thought it was only helping with other pain meds. Well, I started out at 300mg twice a day for two years, then slowly was up to 600mg tabs 3xday. This for about 2-3 years. Then, about 9 months ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD. Damn, too many drugs had me having to choose to get rid of something. I didn't want to burn out, since Dr. thought I should be taking Adderall. That is another story, as I am telling him next visit, please take me OFF - and let him lower it slowly or replace it with a temp med to help stop. It's just not for me.

But, I decided something had to go, so I said "Later Gaba". Later, my ass! I did cut down, 1/2 to 900mg a day, and then down to 300mg. I felt a little bit crappy, but NOTHING like when I quit after a month at 300mg. Let me tell you - I have not felt right since I stopped. The ONLY good thing, is I have bottles of it now, that I keep as a reminder that I MUST be making progress. I decided to do this because Adderall seems too intense with the Gabapentin, and before I 86 the Addy, I feel I have to be off the Gabapentin (IMO), as well and I know now, for EVERY reason - forever. I have not felt good in two months. Every single morning, I wake up and feel like holy hell. Granted, I just trusted my Dr, and since I was not concerned ("It's non-narcotic, no worries" he said") I didn't think about it - until I started seeing bad reports about stopping. And, I'm sure it depends on how long, how much, and the individual, but I have been completely shaken by this.

It makes you look at everything you do! What am I doing wrong? When the hell will this end? Morning is the worst time, really, really bad and I sleep, but wake up feeling like the TIN MAN from OZ. Cloudy thinking, not really even being able to think about anything -except how bad I feel. Then, I said "Wait - it CAN"T be that." So, to see, I took 1/2 of a 600mg. In 1.5 hours, I felt almost normal - if there is a normal, but 'better'. It IS THAT! Then, I looked at the full bottles and thought - I've made progress, but here's the deal - this stuff works BEST at a low dose - so the LAST part is the hardest, IMHO. So, I waited, staying at the same 300mg for a month or so. Then 1/2, for a week, then nothing - just stopped. This was months ago and can't recall exactly. I've lost track of time, senses, a general malaise, and have lost interest in everything. I can't shake the FUNK! IF I didn't know better, could be mistaken for a deep depression. Feels like that. For no reason at all. It just lingers. I'm going to give it one more month, then I'm going to have to do something. I dread every morning because it never changes. Sweaty, sore back, knees, runny nose, and just a feeling I've never experienced. Like I've been sick for a long, long time. So gang? Heed my words (and others on here) ain't no joke. There is something about this that changes your brain - I do think that either time or something else (some supplement, vitamin) will work to stop this lack of energy, constant fatigue, and a feeling of being 'lost'.

So, will be back in a month. I hope to have better news, but to those who report not having any issues? Wait until you stop 100% for at least one week. Then see how you feel. And, to those even thinking about doing this? Well, I thought Lyrica (2 years) was hard - NOTHING even close to this. IF you want to power-up Xanax or Valium or just about anything else? This will do it. But, like the Toyota's that the accelerator got stuck? That will be YOU, so don't - just don't do it. I wouldn't say this about anything else, not even opiates - the closest thing I've felt was the removal of Valium, until I couldn't think straight, and Doc gave me Xanax. Please listen. Those that have 'this feeling', they will tell you, too. Go slow, slow, slow if you are there now - decide to switch to even Hydrocodone if it helps with your nerve issues. This is a BRAIN issue unlike anything I've experienced. It is RELENTLESS! Maybe it's very selective, but why risk it when myself and others are saying this? Life is not fun right now. Please, listen. NO to Gaba! And, don't do like I did - tell your Dr. ahead of time and maybe you can avoid this mental confusion that seems to never end. I hope so. I am drinking a shit-ton of water-Gatorade and taking vitamins, magnesium, and nothing works very well. You guys please be careful with this one. Truth.
Cash Crown - support is most welcome, thanks if only in good karma.

Effing nailed it for me! So glad i found this forum! The last 2 times I told my psych of my nasty gaba experiences, she kind of looked at me with that "sideways dog-head" look. As if I could be having withdrawals from not taking my gabapentin! Actually, I had accidentally run out of my prescription and was waiting to refill it. I thought, no big deal, I can wait a couple of days. BIG FUCKING MISTAKE! Day 1, no problem. Day 2, started to get a little edgy. Day 3, a scene straight outta "The War of the Worlds"! For no apparent reason, several different emotions switched places in my body throughout the day and the rest of the evening. My old pal Anxiety, followed by his good friend Extreme Frustration and Anger. After they left, Malaise and Depression came calling, and stayed for the rest of the evening. I was no longer in control of my body, emotionally or physically. I have never been prone to suicide or even suicidal thoughts, but at least one time during this horrible upheaval, I simply wondered to myself what it would be like to go to sleep and not wake up the next morning. I am faced with the prospect of taking this medication for the rest of my life, for fear of dealing with the nasty withdrawals of not taking it.

Been taking 900mg gapapentin daily for a couple of months, for a neuropathic pain in side of head. Intitially I enjoyed its anti-anxiety and insomnia busting properties and I thought it was pretty wonderful, but now it makes me feel a little over-emotional, drowsy and weak-minded. I can't stop taking it til my pain is diagnosed and cured. When I withdraw, I plan on using phenibut to help, Maybe worth considering (?)

I'm using Gabapentin 600mgs 3x per day to lower my Valium intake as it is good for anxiety and it really does help the muscle spasms in my legs as well.

I've quit 5x600mg gabapentin cold turkey many times over the years, usually more, causing me to run out. It doesn't give me any withdrawal effects except minor insomnia. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. But even with my benzo use and abuse over the years I've always been able to quit relatively easily. Opiates on the other hand...

^ it seems WD aren't a guarantee, some people get them otjers don't. Also it's more likely that someone who did get them is going to post about it.

I also wonder if a lot of the people who describe WD had anxiety insomnia etc to begin with and it's all just returning on the cessation of gabapentin therapy

I also wonder if a lot of the people who describe WD had anxiety insomnia etc to begin with and it's all just returning on the cessation of gabapentin therapy

I have intermittent insomnia as a result of my anxiety. Definitely comes back with a vengeance when I quit drugs, but gapabentin just doesn't really cause it for me! Benzos will give me insane rebound anxiety as well as opiate habits. Maybe I'm just really good at suffering these days. ;)

I was given gp for nerve pain after total knee replacement 3 weeks ago. My dose is low - 100 mg 3 x day. However I stopped 48 hours ago after several episodes of depression & suicidal thoughts. Felt shaky so I read this thread. I am so angry at my surgeon. I am a 68 year old female with a history of depression. Did he or the PA even read my PCP notes? I also stopped Celebrex after experiencing severe stomach cramps. I have gastritis and GERD. I did not realize that Celebrex was an NSAID. I just moved across the country. I told all new docs that I could not take aspirin (except enteric) or ibuprofin. Hope that this low dosage gp doesn' t cause too much discomfort. I also was given temazepam for sleep but only took it 3 times. Forty years ago I was give diazapam for 5 days and went thru a hell of a withdrawal. Very sensitive to meds. Got off oxycotin and narco with no problems a week ago. In hospital and rehab they just hand you a pile of pills. At least I asked what I was taking. No energy and depressed. Questioning why I even moved here. I have some amitriptyline/perphenazine for depression/anxiety. Wonder if that would help. I really want gp out of my system before I throw in anything else.

ive been on GABA for 10 days -1 day last saturday i did not take any only look 300mg to 500mg CAPSULE at night and or late morning, i dont want to withdraw from this medication so i need to know if i need to stop now or what, and im taking GABA for a 1 year precribed dose of oxy 10mg 2-4 times a day i fell that most of my oxy w/d is gone, but want to make sure what should i do? plz plz plz help