• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Clean up cut heroin?

Is Sodium Bicarbonate a strong enough base to use throughout the purification process? In other words would it be possible to substitute the bicarbonate (baking soda) for the ammonium hydroxide?
I went to every grocery store, and drug store, and anywhere else I could think of in my town and nobody carried anything but "lemon scented" ammonia which contains "fragrance, colorant" which I imagine would not be a welcome addition to the process.

tar heroin is a totally different ballgame. i dont know the ratio of cut for that. the cuts were usually lactose, if making brown powder, or instant coffee. specifically nescafe green. it was very easy to boost this coffee and sell it to fences in LA because that is how common a cut it was/is.

Interesting, I don't know the ratio either, but I know for a fact that I've ran into tar that was cut with coffee. I tried explaining to my buddy that I was guessing the stuff was cut with coffee and he thought I was bullshitting. It smells like coffee, looks like coffee and when you're cooking you can smell the coffee really heavily. It was even more obvious after you shot it. You couldn't nod without shooting A LOT and you got the taste of coffee in your mouth. I suppose that kinda H is good for a morning pick me up. =D

The tar I get right now IME is very very good. I have no idea what the cut is, but the dope has been pretty powdery in the bag, until you hold it in your hands or something to clump it all together. Any ideas? It pulls into the syringe barrel a yellow to amber color.

I'm guessing tar that's been cut with lactose is the lighter colored stuff that's really soft and is almost like the consistency of Play-Doh.

From what I have seen for cutting tar, most of the time they would use lactose or some water soluble powder or Vita-blend which is water soluble powdered vitamins that are sold in most head shops.They would freeze the tar and then use a household blender to chop the frozen tar into small pieces,then mix in the cut,and put it all in a ballon or several ballons and drop it into boiling water for a few seconds and take it out and drop it back in for a few (5 to 10) seconds ,etc.Then put the ballon of tar and cut back into the freezer for a number of hours.Then they would put it under a heat lamp for short amounts of time to get it to the color they wanted..also some dealers would take already cut tar and "wash" it in acetone and filter it letting it dry overnight to get stronger product.Then when the acetone had all evaporated off ,they would sometimes put the "washed tar" under a heat lamp for a short amount of time to darken it ,sometimes not..Neve rsaw coffee used as a cut but I'm sure it has been used.,..thats why I am lucky to get good powder heroin when I decide to do some dope.

From what I have seen for cutting tar, most of the time they would use lactose or some water soluble powder or Vita-blend which is water soluble powdered vitamins that are sold in most head shops.They would freeze the tar and then use a household blender to chop the frozen tar into small pieces,then mix in the cut,and put it all in a ballon or several ballons and drop it into boiling water for a few seconds and take it out and drop it back in for a few (5 to 10) seconds ,etc.Then put the ballon of tar and cut back into the freezer for a number of hours.Then they would put it under a heat lamp for short amounts of time to get it to the color they wanted..also some dealers would take already cut tar and "wash" it in acetone and filter it letting it dry overnight to get stronger product.Then when the acetone had all evaporated off ,they would sometimes put the "washed tar" under a heat lamp for a short amount of time to darken it ,sometimes not..Neve rsaw coffee used as a cut but I'm sure it has been used.,..thats why I am lucky to get good powder heroin when I decide to do some dope.

If I could get powder dope on a regular basis and for a better price I would buy it exclusively. It's definitely way better.

How does this acetone process work? I'd really like to find a way to purify tar. I suppose with tar there is some worry as to how much of the product actually reacted into diacetylmorphine. If the goal is to just get the heroin then it's all good, but aren't there several other alkaloids present in tar heroin from incomplete reactions and the like?

Erowid has a guide, gimme a sec.

The Erowid guide to heroin purification has been on the net a long time and as it's the only system it's been copied by quite a few others including, 'Heroin Helper'. When I first read it I thought I was going to turn all the crap I been getting ripped off with into real gear which I could bang up without worrying about od ing on paracetamol, barbs, brick dust, sand, or whatever poison some money grabbing bastard has stepped on the gear with. I studied and studied it, had it printed and went out and bought all the ingredients needed, including a chemistry set(that alone cost £200). It was expensive but I reckoned it was a good investment. I'm 63 years old and been on the gear for over 40 years so I remember what smack should be like. Sadly though it was not to be. It didn't bloody well work for me. Maybe if I was a qualified chemist it might have worked. I tried three times but couldn't get it to work for me. I would love to read about any one who had used this method with any degree of success. If any one has, they are a lot cleverer than me.

Yea what people seem to never realize is that heroin is just about the most cut street drug there is. Id say on average its definatly more cut than coke. If i remeber correctly heroin is just a little more potent weight for weight than oxycodone. And if you try these purification processes you WILL lose some thats just a part of chemistry. Also you can expect your end product to weigh ALOT less than what you started with. If your using street dope i wouldnt try this personally unless i had at least 3-4 grams.

have to disagree on the one about heroin being the most cut street drug but over here bout 5 years ago was on the news bout heroin at steet level i.e a ten bag being up to 65% pure. although uk going through bad patch with brown being totall crap, dont know what its like in u.s ?

So has anyone used the 2nd purification tek with success?

People often have an inflated sense of how much they are using. When they buy a 'gram' of Heroin (usually a bundle, 10 dimebags for powder), this usually only means 50mg-200mg total of actual Diacetylmorphine if it is of good quality.

From HeroinHelper/reprinted at drugs-forum:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10008

Honestly it generally isn't worth the effort. Odds are a portion will be lost in the extraction process, and in the end the resulting product will still contain considerable amount of non-opioid material.

So has anyone used this method to any level of success? I understand the chemistry behind it and would like to try it but would like to know if anyone (someone who has basic chemistry knowledge and basic lab practices down) has done this?

If you got heroin base, just do a methanol wash. First, put the powder into cold water. The brown color is soluble in water, the heroin base isn't. BUT if the heroin was cut with an acid (ascorbic acid or citric acid), it will be soluble in water too. But this won't happen usually. Pour the liquid through a paper filter (coffee filters will work, but you can buy much better filters which are used in laboritories). The heroin base (and a lot of cut) will remain in the filter. Wash with cold water so that remaining color is washed out. Perhaps you won't be able to wash out all of the color, but the more, the better!
Then, let the powder dry. It must be absolutely dry before you put it into methanol. The methanol must be as pure as possible! I heard that it should be at least 90% I think.

The heroin base will dissolve in methanol, whereas most of the cut won't. Most popular cuts in Europe for heroin base are paracetamol, caffeine and color (these three substances are mixed together and are sold as "heroin cut" to the big dealers!), and different sugars and other stuff. Pour the solution through a new filter. The cut will stay in the filter. Let the methanol evaporate, but don't apply any heat!!! Wait until it is absolutely dry.

With this method, we get a lot of color out, and most of the paracetamol and caffeine.
Oh, I forgot to mention: paracetamol is acetaminophen.

You will get 50-95% pure heroin base with this method. It's simple and cheap. No forbidden chemicals required, no knowledge required. It depends on how many different cuts were used to cut your heroin, but as I said, in Europe, acetaminophen+caffeine+brown color are the most common. Of course different sugars are used too. But the higher the purity of your heroin, the better, right? And I bet most people won't be able to get their hands on chloroform, diethylether and things like that.

And please, PLEASE: Use micron-filters!

If you got heroin base, just do a methanol wash. First, put the powder into cold water. The brown color is soluble in water, the heroin base isn't. BUT if the heroin was cut with an acid (ascorbic acid or citric acid), it will be soluble in water too. But this won't happen usually. Pour the liquid through a paper filter (coffee filters will work, but you can buy much better filters which are used in laboritories). The heroin base (and a lot of cut) will remain in the filter. Wash with cold water so that remaining color is washed out. Perhaps you won't be able to wash out all of the color, but the more, the better!
Then, let the powder dry. It must be absolutely dry before you put it into methanol. The methanol must be as pure as possible! I heard that it should be at least 90% I think.

The heroin base will dissolve in methanol, whereas most of the cut won't. Most popular cuts in Europe for heroin base are paracetamol, caffeine and color (these three substances are mixed together and are sold as "heroin cut" to the big dealers!), and different sugars and other stuff. Pour the solution through a new filter. The cut will stay in the filter. Let the methanol evaporate, but don't apply any heat!!! Wait until it is absolutely dry.

With this method, we get a lot of color out, and most of the paracetamol and caffeine.
Oh, I forgot to mention: paracetamol is acetaminophen.

You will get 50-95% pure heroin base with this method. It's simple and cheap. No forbidden chemicals required, no knowledge required. It depends on how many different cuts were used to cut your heroin, but as I said, in Europe, acetaminophen+caffeine+brown color are the most common. Of course different sugars are used too. But the higher the purity of your heroin, the better, right? And I bet most people won't be able to get their hands on chloroform, diethylether and things like that.

And please, PLEASE: Use micron-filters!

So I guess it will be possible to use chloroform or diethylether instead of methanol?

the Erowid method seems to be the most reliable. All the chemicals are easily available except for the ether, which the recommended source "diesel starting fluid" is bound to be full of other nasty and unneeded crap. Still, ether is a common chemical and can't be too difficult to obtain.

I think this method should work on all common forms of street heroin. What is available here in the Northwestern USA is a black tar, either sticky and semi-soft or like hard rocks. Sometimes in the form of powder that becomes tar when exposed to moisture. One common cut that Mexicans and others use for this type of dope is coca -cola or Dr. Pepper, boiled down with the dope added and melted, then frozen to cool off.

This Mexican-born grade of heroin is relatively low in purity. because it is produced by reacting acetyl acid with raw opium, other plant matter remains in the product. I would imagine that the purest black tar could only be roughly 60-70% pure.

the Erowid method seems to be a good, simple way of obtaining a pure product from this black tar grade heroin.

exeter what you said makes sense! I thought maybe caffiend as the cut causes rush or non sleep but being that THEBAINE is part of raw opium (special high thebaine poppies are grown for oxycodone which is synthesysed from it) would explain why i stay awake on the shit instead of getting sleep like morphine. I am trying to find a better thread on purificatoin..i remember reading one which talked about acetone or naptha as solvent

Clean Up Cut Heroin ?

Hey peeps :),

I stumbled on this thread via google and thought id add my 2 cents worth. Cleaning up uk heroin would be a waste of time unless you can get fairly high purity stuff but then that would defeat the object i suppose would it not :?

Heroin in the uk can vary quite a lot in purity but the usual range on the street in my area tends to be around the 20-45% region. On rare ocasions it may be upto 70% at its highest. I used to go to an asian guy who was user himself . He only smoked it, This was around 1997-2000 we knew it was bloody good stuff because it was about twice the strength of anyone elses and just as cheap. It was a strong very white gear that was very tasty to smoke but what we didnt know until after he got busted was just how strong the stuff actually was. We was left with huge raging habits that no one else's gear would touch when he got sent to prison. It was analysed at 66% pure he also had another batch that was analysed at 59% pure.

He also had some black tar heroin for xmas time, I have never ever seen tar again in the uk scince .That batch of tar was stronger than that batch of white 66% pure stuff he had, which is why it puzzled me that everyone from the usa slags black tar off rotten. I estimate the tar was around the 70-80% mark. So Basically he was selling it as it comes into the country without cutting it at all. He also told me when i viisited him inside that most batches of smokable afghan heroin freebase rarely ever exceed 85-90% pure when its made. He says they vary between as low as about 70% for a bad batch and as high as around 90% pure for a top quality batch depending on how much care had been taken over that particular batch and that batches of heroin number 3 freebase never normally exceed 90% pure due to the fact it requires an extra distillation/purification process to remove all the remaining impurities. I personally believe him but other people didnt thinking they know best but not every one will agree on information concerning the making and purity of heroin.

Also i thought poppy strains that are high in thebaine was the non annual papaver bracteatum not the somniferums although i could be wrong on that one, i dont claim to know everything nobody does.

Peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee out guys n galz ;) Time for a dam good boot a beer a spliff n a =D nod %)

I realize this thread is old, but can anyone explain a method i which you can clean the cut out of H for the purpose of smoking? Because I prefer to smoke it and can't stand the coffee taste of this tar that seems to be all thats around here lately. All I've found so far is methods that will clean it for shooting and it's definitely not smokable afterwards... Would really appreciate if anyone could help! Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone would know what it is in this H making it taste as if it were cut with something I know I've tasted at the dentist???real weird.done a lot of H in my time,never ever tasted any like this before????thanks!!!

Bit of a bump, but in regards to the method that sweetstuff posted - which seems the most realistic and applicable to someone without access to proper equipment - where would one acquire methanol? A google search didn't offer up anything that would help me in Canada. I'm going to hope that my gear's not cut with acid and filter a gram just with water to see if I can dispel some of the colour because whatever's giving it that beautiful darkness is contributing massively to its disgusting flavour. I boiled some of the colour off by mistake last week but haven't figured out exactly what temperature/timing I used and haven't been able to recreate it....

also, what would be the difference between an ethanol and a methanol extraction be? heroin's simply not soluble in ethanol? if that's the case, would any chemists be able to shine light on why the solubility ratings of ethanol/methanol are so different?

I did a wash just with cold water because it's too late for me to go romping for chemicals. Sweet's method said the colour would be washed off... i was left with a solution of murky brown water indeed, but the dope itself was still dark brown. i dried it off and i'm left with a strange granular substance that's like black sand that crumbles to the touch. it's not sticky. never seen any heroin like this. it smokes and melts into the same crimson-brown puddle that the dope usually melts into, and most of the gross flavour is gone - though it hardly has much of a taste of anything anymore. a very diminished similarity to the gross taste of the tar which led me to doing this experiment, but no telltale heroin taste, no vinegary flavour.

this lack of taste, the residual brown water, and its flavor and smell - both much more reminiscent of heroin than the sandy black solid bits that are leftover from the wash- leads me to wonder if perhaps the heroin had been cut with an acid and did, in fact, dissolve in the water during the extraction? how would one go about isolating the heroin back from the water?

addendum: i evaporated the water slowly until I was left with a beige brown goop that I at first thought was heroin... but I smoked it and it burned quickly from beautiful beige, nearly skipping the crimson-brown puddle stage and becoming a flat black stain on the foil. the smoke singed my throat a bit and tasted like burnt paper. (no, i didn't light my hooter on fire lol.) i thought I felt something off the first couple tokes, but after taking another toke of the black sandy crap I'm content that I feel more of an effect from the sand.... but i'm sleep deprived and my tolerance is shot right now so I'm going to assume make no assumption and chalk things up to placebo until I get some third party input. I feel like that was far too simple of an extraction - though the painstaking vapoization of 95% water to 5% product seemed to enhance the difficulty. or at least annoyance. heh.

regardless, with simple modifications in the process, that could be remedied... either way, both. of these results taste a lot better than the original black tar grossness, so as long as I've still got product left over I'm happy. sort of. i ended up losing probably a gram somewhere in this process but I'm not too hung up on that.

Last edited:
this method cost me about 1000 bucks. does not work. did not work anyway...tried about 5 times over the span of a couple of months. the bubbling doesn't stop until you have added so much baking soda that the end result is a plate odd discolored salt. Even when you so slightly dampen the initial product with HCL, just too much baking soda is needed to stop bubbling...

Last edited:
why bother with this anyway? in years of being a heroin addict i never once got heroin i needed to clean up. if it was weak, id just do more. the op said he wanted to clean it up because it was burning his nose. wouldnt it be easier to just plug or IV it?

Do i need diethyl ether AR (Analytical Reagent) or is the BHT stabilised reagent grades just as good for this experiment?