• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How bad is opiate withdrawal ?

That doctor sounds like an idiot in my opinion. Opiate withdrawals are among the worst things that I have ever been through in my life.

Sorry, I was specifically talking about Heroin addicts I've met. I don't have much experience with opioid addicts who abuse prescription narcotics or quasi-legal poppy straw.

Ok sorry, I agree with you too. I think with heroin there is a psychological boundary you cross where you can no longer live in denial about your use.
This is why its so hard for some people to "graduate" to H I believe, even though they are shooting 4 OC80s a day already. Once they are copping bundles from a dealer that last illusory veneer of legitimacy is gone and they are left with the stark fact that they are an addict.

But in the pharm and pod community denial and blame shifting runs rampant, I remember someone saying they put the blame for their friends OD on Purdue Pharma! I remember someone using poppy seed tea blaming the fucking grocers for his problems, saying why are they even selling bulk poppy seeds.
Its ridiculous.

I still have cravings for cigarettes, but I don't smoke. Is that not willpower? Or is heroin just so special it's "impossible" not to hold yourself back. You asked me why do people relapse. Umm gee...I don't know, because they give in? And I know all about post acute withdrawl symptoms.

You're forgetting many other things when it comes to keeping clean. The major one being the person as an individual not to mention the support system from friends and family. And who are you quoting when you say "impossible"?

i regularly withdrwl from oc's and loratabs....anyways, i think i've done it so many times that i really don't even get sick anymore, no shit...i can eat 3 oc40's a day for 3 or 4 days strait and the next day i don't have any, i'm just sluggish and depressed, not sick....back when i used to withdrawl from dope, i was a fucking wreck. if i did it at my house, i needed vicodin or some kind of tapering pill or i just wouldn't be able to do it....coming off a 10-15 bag a day habit, i was hospitalized and i didn't sleep for 2 fucking weeks, even with sleep meds...i would be tired as hell, but just could not sleep...not to mention the vomiting and shitting my brains out for the whole first week.

In my six year experience 3-4 days on nearly all opiates is not long enough to get horribly physicality dependent. And I do not believe after getting sick so many times you just get immune to it. If that were the case than modern science is way off.

Ok sorry, I agree with you too. I think with heroin there is a psychological boundary you cross where you can no longer live in denial about your use.
This is why its so hard for some people to "graduate" to H I believe, even though they are shooting 4 OC80s a day already. Once they are copping bundles from a dealer that last illusory veneer of legitimacy is gone and they are left with the stark fact that they are an addict.

It wasn't hard for me at all.

There was no psychological barrier whatsoever. I was sick as fuck, had no Oxy script - so I went and found smack (took less than 20 minutes in a new city:\).

When your in WD, you don't think or give a fuck about the long-term.

All you give a shit about is feeling better - and feeling better *RIGHT NOW*.

In fact, I remember feeling a certain sense of relief - once I had scored and fixed-up, and had the dealers number - that I wouldn't have to bother bullshitting docters anymore.

As a heroin addict, I survived by juggling emergencies - in between shots.

heroin withdrawal is minor discomfort??LMFAO...try being basically bed ridden, only your legs are kicking so bad you literally have to stand up because they are so restless then after packing around your room for 5 seconds you literally collapse on your bed due to exhaustion...you have to take a piss every 10 seconds but are too weak to make it to the bathroom so you piss in an empty gatorade bottle...every minute you are shifting from cold shivers to hot sweats..you have a pounding headache that wont go away, your stomach is turning, you cannot drink or eat anything because everything tastes, smells like shit....the worst of all is the absolute agony going on inside your mind...it isnt the pyshical pain that is the worst in opiates withdrawal, its the mental nightmare, the anguish..the constant fiending for dope, you cant think of anything else..every minute seems like an eternity.... oh yeah, you think you can sleep it away, haha yeah right, you will be up for 5-6 days straight while kicking dope...24 hours misery every day...and that is MINOR discomfort??OKEY DOKEY....

lol i've read some of these post and wonder if they have ever really went thru withdraw i'm a oc head i do 2 to 3 80's a day and i know for a fact that when i go over 2 days and somedays the very next day without using that the shits, throwing up, and the pain is real and the pain is so chronic that i'd rather die than do without but his is my opinion and how it makes me feel

Last edited:
A headache, thats minor discomfort, days of severe muscle cramps, diarrhea and intense vomiting combined with insomnia and depression followed by weeks even months of feeling shit is what i would call a major discomfort.

How bad is it?.....

bad enough to keep you using because the thought of WD is just too much to handle.

I've been stabbed in the lunge and i like to say it was a much more pleasant experience than the first time i tried to kick heroin cold turkey...

I've only ever been able to stop using heroin by tapering with bupe because even though i have desperately wanted to quit many times but just the thought of WD kept me from getting clean...

I relapsed 2 months ago and i really want to quit but i'll have to keep using until i can get my hands on some bupe because once you've been through WD and you know how bad it is you'll never be able to go cold turkey again unless you're a really strong willed person in which case you probably wouldnt get hooked on dope to start with....

^^

Here will go with the whole "will power" - "strong willed" theories again.

Sick 'em Tchort!!

i'm sorry but imo it's not the will power cause if that was the case i would of quit a long time ago for me it is the pain that makes it so hard when you cry because your head neck back and legs hurt so bad that you wish death upon yourself and the pain don't go away after a few days it is there for weeks for myself when you stay up for days cause you can't sleep none of that is cause i don't have will power some1 please explain how will power is going to make this go away? please and like i said this is my opinion from my personal uses and withdraw symptoms

i'm sorry but imo it's not the will power cause if that was the case i would of quit a long time ago for me it is the pain that makes it so hard when you cry because your head neck back and legs hurt so bad that you wish death upon yourself and the pain don't go away after a few days it is there for weeks for myself when you stay up for days cause you can't sleep none of that is cause i don't have will power some1 please explain how will power is going to make this go away? please and like i said this is my opinion from my personal uses and withdraw symptoms

Yep.

You know - I have actually seriously considered chopping of fingers/toes - so I could get a morphine shot in the hospital, rather than WD.:|

Thank fuck my dealer let me have credit.

My will power never lasted more than 18 hours into WD.

People that argue will power has nothing to do with succesfully cleaning yourself up are in acute denial IMO.

Any drug and alcohol counselor will tell you this, how hard is it to understand that you have to really really want to quit to be able to do it, quiting a dope habit does take discipline regardless of what you may think.

^ I agree that once clean, then will power plays a BIG part in your future.

But during actual WD, you need more than that.

i'm sorry but imo it's not the will power cause if that was the case i would of quit a long time ago

Sleeping on a bed of nails is also quite painful but it is entirely possible if you are disciplined enough.

I dont get why this argument comes up every time, why cant you people just admit you may not have a strong will to quit and that's why its not happening because i'll gladly admit that thats whats always been my issue...

^ I agree that once clean, then will power plays a BIG part in your future.

Exactly my point, im not saying that because you are strong willed the first couple of days wont be hell but once your past that stage it has alot to do with how willing you are to stay off dope for good.

The longest I've ever continually used for was a bit more than a week every day and the withdrawal period for that consisted of the worst two days of my life.

Yeah, now imagine if you had been using for years.:(

Fucking horrible.

^ What is the success rate of home detox again?8)

It has nothing to do with the success rate of home detox, the few times i have managed to get clean were not in rehab. People who detox at home quite rarely become part of a statistic anyway...

People who are extremely self disciplined rarely pick up a dope habit in the first place as i wrote in the original post...

I have been in and around the dope game for most of my life and have many family members who are heroin addict's, i am the first person in my family who has managed to get clean and stay clean for a longer period of time....

It's quite simple really.

The longest I've ever continually used for was a bit more than a week every day and the withdrawal period for that consisted of the worst two days of my life

Really? I have never heard of anyone becoming physically addicted that fast, even when i relapsed last time i didn't get physically hooked again until after atleast 2-3 weeks of daily use....

i am the first person in my family who has managed to get clean and stay clean for a longer period of time....

It's quite simple really.

In that case, I am genuinly pleased for you.

But for the vast majority of H addicts - it is far from simple, and will power alone is generally not enough.