• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How bad is opiate withdrawal ?

Is he being serious? 8o He obviously has never been through withdrawals or even SEEN someone go through them. My post is on this same page, currently tapering off methadone, not even going to think about going cold turkey. I'm going 1mg a week and i'm having severe depression. I wake up every morning wanting to just knock myself unconscious till my morning dose hits me. Oh yeah, btw, I was only at 30mg to begin with. Some people get off at doses in the 100's. Alot of respect for someone that can do that.

I am Leaning towards those statements as mostly true. Cmon Junkies are arguably the most exaggerated creature on this planet.

the whole withdrawls IS an exaggeration.

Its mostly the Mental Withdrawls that exaggerate the physical to make it seem that much worse.

Maybe i was just lucky and diddnt feel the full extent of withdrawl, but what i was experiencing was pretty bad.

but to say its the worst feeling imaginable is EXAGGERATING it a bit dontcha think???

Ever lost a family member due to suicide??? Lost a child??
Ever fell 20 feet off a roof and busted yourself on the concrete????
ever been hit by a car??
Ever have the love of your life, use, abuse, and walk out on you???
Being trapped somewhere having no way out
ever been Starving to the point of hunger pains??

Id say those would be around the worst feelings in the world.
But all us junkies just want everybody else to feel sorry for us, because we cant handle our own stupidity >_<

Sorry to be harsh but this is true

seriously?

That doctor is obviously stuck up his own you know what. I am currently going through withdrawals and it is the worst experience of my life. Although, I have experienced it several times and it is worst each time. I have found that an arthritis medicine called tramedol (sp?) Helps a good bit and I actually slept one night almost peacefully. I am also prescribed klodopin and that helps a good bit, but I would not recomend taking more than 2 to 3 a day, due to becoming addicted to that.... and like someone mentioned above, benzo withdrawals are way worst and will actually kill you. So chill out, drink a beer, and try to clear your head.

Yeah, its like the flue except worst. I had c diff, and opiate withdrawals beat that and asthma attacks combined, and I have been hospitalized for both. You feel an impending doom and can not sit still. Really how you spot out the addicts. I know im an easy one to spot.

Do not take opiate lightly. Abusing them is probably the dumbest thing ever. Same for benzos. I was in so much pain today I actually thought of starting methadone treatment. DON'T!!! It is just replacing one addiction with another. Suffering through it is tough, but it beats a life of driving to a clinic every day and having someone control your life entirely. I would never recommend using opiate for pleasure to anyone. It is such a great feeling while on, but when its done.... so are you.

I wish I could sleep, stop vomiting, eat something since I already suffer from extreme anorexia and malnourishment and the doctors say I have 2to weeks just from that. But withdrawals last about that long.
I have turned severely suicidal and am having to stay at my moms on suicide watch.

Taking opiates also mess you up long term. Most times people gain anorexia because you feel you don't need to eat. Also mental problems like anxiety, depression, and on a more serious note, skitsophrenia (definite sp error). Just go visit a methadone clinic and look around. Its very apparent.

Hope this helped.

seriously?

That doctor is obviously stuck up his own you know what. I am currently going through withdrawals and it is the worst experience of my life. Although, I have experienced it several times and it is worst each time. I have found that an arthritis medicine called tramedol (sp?) Helps a good bit and I actually slept one night almost peacefully. I am also prescribed klodopin and that helps a good bit, but I would not recomend taking more than 2 to 3 a day, due to becoming addicted to that.... and like someone mentioned above, benzo withdrawals are way worst and will actually kill you. So chill out, drink a beer, and try to clear your head.

Yeah, its like the flue except worst. I had c diff, and opiate withdrawals beat that and asthma attacks combined, and I have been hospitalized for both. You feel an impending doom and can not sit still. Really how you spot out the addicts. I know im an easy one to spot.

Do not take opiate lightly. Abusing them is probably the dumbest thing ever. Same for benzos. I was in so much pain today I actually thought of starting methadone treatment. DON'T!!! It is just replacing one addiction with another. Suffering through it is tough, but it beats a life of driving to a clinic every day and having someone control your life entirely. I would never recommend using opiate for pleasure to anyone. It is such a great feeling while on, but when its done.... so are you.

I wish I could sleep, stop vomiting, eat something since I already suffer from extreme anorexia and malnourishment and the doctors say I have 2to weeks just from that. But withdrawals last about that long.
I have turned severely suicidal and am having to stay at my moms on suicide watch.

Taking opiates also mess you up long term. Most times people gain anorexia because you feel you don't need to eat. Also mental problems like anxiety, depression, and on a more serious note, skitsophrenia (definite sp error). Just go visit a methadone clinic and look around. Its very apparent.

Hope this helped.

Ps to deroxor
I've had most of those things happen.... mentally, losing someone hurts. But in all honesty, withdrawals hurt way more. Granted, I barely remember being hit by the car. But the damage was pretty harsh. You are right on addicts wanting people to feel sorry.... maybe not feel sorry per say, but give you attention, any sort of love, affection, signs of caring, etc. That falls in the anxiety/depression part of withdrawal. To each their own. Id rather watch myself bleed out than feel internal pain that you can not make go away. But then again, I am female ;) lol

WOW, what a crock! I didn't read this entire thread but I can tell everyone feels like I do. I have an interesting tale that I doubt many have encountered (maybe I'm wrong?).

I'm what is known as a CP'er or a chronic pain patient and have been for the better part of my adult life (I'm 53) and therefore on high doses of narcotics. Back in 2000, I was on around 400mg of Oxycontin and Oxy IR. Unfortunately, due to some bad decisions I made a few years earlier, I had to take an 18-month stay at a Federal facility. As you can imagine, they don't delve out narcotics in a place like that and basically upon intake, a doctor took my meds (about $5,000 street value) and pocketed them! I was furious but also naive. I caused some noise about it and for my trouble, they cut me off cold turkey. Let me tell you, that's not pretty.

Basically, I shit all the time, was tired all the time, hurt all the time, had no appetite, had RLS so bad they had to take me to the ER. And all of that was on a "Good Day". This went on for 2 weeks before I started to feel normal but I kept the attitude the whole time. The doc was a crook and that's all there was to it! The good news is that after being pissed for almost 6 months, I started exercising and losing weight. Unfortunately, the Oxy's make me put on weight and I was at my heaviest, 267. By the end of my stay, I had lost 65 pounds and looked like a new man. But I wouldn't wish those WD's on anyone! Obviously, anyone who has experienced WD's would not have make the stupid comments that doctor did. Shame on him!

WOW, what a crock! I didn't read this entire thread but I can tell everyone feels like I do. I have an interesting tale that I doubt many have encountered (maybe I'm wrong?).

I'm what is known as a CP'er or a chronic pain patient and have been for the better part of my adult life (I'm 53) and therefore on high doses of narcotics. Back in 2000, I was on around 400mg of Oxycontin and Oxy IR. Unfortunately, due to some bad decisions I made a few years earlier, I had to take an 18-month stay at a Federal facility. As you can imagine, they don't delve out narcotics in a place like that and basically upon intake, a doctor took my meds (about $5,000 street value) and pocketed them! I was furious but also naive. I caused some noise about it and for my trouble, they cut me off cold turkey. Let me tell you, that's not pretty.

Basically, I shit all the time, was tired all the time, hurt all the time, had no appetite, had RLS so bad they had to take me to the ER. And all of that was on a "Good Day". This went on for 2 weeks before I started to feel normal but I kept the attitude the whole time. The doc was a crook and that's all there was to it! The good news is that after being pissed for almost 6 months, I started exercising and losing weight. Unfortunately, the Oxy's make me put on weight and I was at my heaviest, 267. By the end of my stay, I had lost 65 pounds and looked like a new man. But I wouldn't wish those WD's on anyone! Obviously, anyone who has experienced WD's would not have make the stupid comments that doctor did. Shame on him!

What a fucking goof piece of shit. I woulda smashed him right then and there, atleast you get your methadone in jail. what a piece of work

-edit oh you say federal facility meaning jail???? then wow that fuckin sucks bad. couldnt even get a chance to smash him out, fuckin prick

I once thought: 'How bad can withdrawals be..." Suddenly I had them.
And shit that's the worst situation I've got myself into. The pain, the stress, the drama is just as real as global warming.
It's a state of being very sick accompanied with mental depression. I was restless, my muscles were sore like I'd run a marathon without preparation.
I had the feeling a part of my brain died. Opiate withdrawal is hell, I find it particularly worse than I could've imagined.
The cravings were like an animally hunger for something, I felt like a part of my humanity just vanished.
There isn't a day where I don't think about it...

I was technically in a Federal Medical Center (FMC), more commonly referred to as "prison" not jail. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, all in all. The medical side was just a joke and since it was a medical facility, I was around many guys with bad problems. I watched a 20-30 year old guy in a room just down from mine, wither away. Everyone used to beg him to go to mess and many of us would sneak food back for him. I think he had some kind of untreatable cancer and was just waiting to die. He was in constant pain and rarely felt like eating. Finally on one of his many trips to the hospital he did not come back and I was told he passed. Sadly, he was buried in a pauper's grave because he had zero family or friends on the outside. Obviously, there were many of us that cared deeply for him but we were unable to help him with what her really needed. This happened over ten years ago and it still bothers me to this day!

PS - Yea, I couldn't possibly go after that doctor or I was assured I'd be in the hole for a LONG time and to boot, I probably would have gotten ever worse medical care than I did. Also, there is no methadone in prison. The best you'd get is oxycodone and I did get a few 15mg but that got cut off quickly and then it was neurontin for my chronic pain. Nothing else, no matter what!

I totally agree but the worse part was that when I'd try to sleep, it would feel like I had bugs crawling under my skin. I used to call them the "Heeby Jeebies" and they were terrible. They finally prescribed me chlonodine (sp?) and it help quite a bit.

Being in methadone WD was probably the most uncomfortable ive ever been in my life and ive been through a lot(fathers death, other family deaths, multiple drug habits and im only 21 etc), for the first time ever I had the "restless legs" feeling in my ARMS! Eventually I started shaking due to this restlessness and what looked like a fit from an outside perspective due to how bad the restless legs and arms were getting, this symtom creates a huge amount of anxiety for me and it just snowballs from there. With oxy(160mg 2x day)/heroin WD id get restless legs but it was bareable, coming off 80mg methadone was ridiculously uncomfortable, my doctor gave me 10 5mg valiums and thankfully my mum went and got a bottle of 10mg temazepam for me. The reason I stopped taking methadone was so I could get onto bupe and have a little more control over my life, it was one of the best decisions ive made regarding drug use and recovery but I know I wouldnt have been able to do it without the benzo's. On the second night of WD my arms and legs got so bad that I had all 10 5mg valiums and about 5 temaze because I was just in agony, it was either knock myself out or go to hospital where they'd likely put me back on methadone and waste all of my hard work(and believe me its hard work). I can not for the life of me understand how someone could get through the whole WD, I would likely kill myself if I had to and I love my life as it is now, its crazy how much it changes your mindstate.

Now im stable on 8mg bupe but am wondering how bad bupe WD can get and whether its worse than methadone. I think methadone should only be used by addicts who know they'll be lifelong addicts and need maintenence forever therefor they'll never have to withdraw, bupe is good for people who only used for a few years or had smaller habits and plan to oneday rid themselves of opiates completely. For awhile I was really scared that id got myself into something I couldnt get out of but thankfully my doctor helped me tremendously and im off methadone(for nearly a year) now :)

I have a few questions though.
How would you rate the intensity of Bupe withdrawal next to that of Methadone WD and Oxy WD? Ive obviously felt the early symptoms but not really sure what its like after that first day.

AND

What Causes Restless Legs Syndrome and it there any way to make it disappear or at least make it more bareable? Apparently it runs in my family, I wasnt aware that it could be hereditary but regardless it fucking sucks! RLS is the one symtom of WD that really scares me, its the most uncomfortable and just nasty of all the symptoms and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

Take care and stay safe BL'ers Hope not too many of you are WD'ing, and your keeping yourselves comfortable :D <3

Its mostly the Mental Withdrawls that exaggerate the physical to make it seem that much worse.

Maybe i was just lucky and diddnt feel the full extent of withdrawl, but what i was experiencing was pretty bad.

but to say its the worst feeling imaginable is EXAGGERATING it a bit dontcha think???

ever been hit by a car??

But all us junkies just want everybody else to feel sorry for us, because we cant handle our own stupidity >_<

Except of course until you go through any of the above you'll have no idea how they feel, so imaginary comparisons are useless. And of course quite often when you do fall off a roof or get hit by a car you'll get pumped full of drugs to make it bearable. The difficulty with opiate withdrawal is that you know damn well all it would take is a quick hit and that would take all the pain away but you can't do that so have to put up with the pain and ride it out. And of course once you've recovered from falling off a roof or being hit by a car that's the end of the matter, with no ongoing consequences needing to be battled with.

In that respect I agree withdrawal symptoms are made worse by the mental component knowing how easily you can take it all away, and fighting desperately against that particular temptation. IME coming off in prison was a piece of piss. Still massively unpleasant, but relatively easy all the same. D'you think that made subsequent detoxes any easier once I'd learned that? Course not. They were still as bad as I ever wanna feel again.

Last edited:
I wouldnt call diarhea that lasts for weeks, being unable to eat or sleep and hallucinations mild symptoms these are just a few of the well documented symptoms of withdrawal this guy reminds me of a doc at the local hospital that gives ppl ten 5/500 vics when they are in incredible pain then says "if this doesnt work they must be junkies with a huge tolerance" Wish someone would give this guy a huge shot of naloxone.

I am Leaning towards those statements as mostly true. Cmon Junkies are arguably the most exaggerated creature on this planet.

the whole withdrawls IS an exaggeration.

ever been hit by a car??

eeeyeah no it isn't.

Yeah it's in your head. By head I mean brain. Your brain gets used to the chemicals and stops making it's own stuff. So when you stop, what you have naturally is basically nothing compared to what you're used to. Your brain can't keep up. The physical stuff happens because of this. Since you seem to think there's nothing physical(dunno why, especially since you claim to have gone through withdrawal?), how could you explain a person coming off of junk thrashing, hardly able to breathe or walk, shitting and vomiting uncontrollably, unable to sleep, sweating, dripping like a faucet from the nose and eyes... all that stuff? It is physically happening, you can see it, and no, that cannot all be faked. I mean yeah of course just the pain part can be, sure. But there's things you can see as well.

I dunno, the whole claim seems silly unless I assume 2 things: ) you didn't go through any significant withdrawal yourself, & 2) you don't understand the mental and physical link. I understand both, so assuming you weren't just messing around or something, I'll elaborate a little more really quick.

The brain controls everything. There's pain from the lack of happy chemicals alone. Plus drugs do damage to your system and change things. A sober body, deprived of necessary chemicals has to deal with said damage, and try to get things back to normal. The reason people feel like they are dying, is pretty much because that's what your brain thinks is going on. & boy does it make that clear to your consciousness. If you're still wondering how it gets from mental, AKA nothing "real"(in your opinion, or what I'd say, "clear")... think of this. People have had heart attacks from dreams. That's mental to physical for you. People take placebos and get better.

Never underestimate the power of the human brain.

I go into pretty much full mental and moderate physical withdrawal whenever I take an opiate and I only had a minor habit on a weak opiate for six months many years ago. I literally can't be happy (sometimes can be just below happy, though) for months after the fact. Its horrendous, yet I still crave opiates. The cravings I would label withdrawal. I've been addicted to alcohol too (though probably not on quite the same level) and find opiate addiction/withdrawal far worse, if just for the pervasive, chronic, life-leaching anhedonia that I get.

I wish it was that easy. I'v ebeen through it and it scares the hell out of me that one day I might have to again.

For me its like Hell but then after you feel better the Mind Games you get played with are worse for me.

Wow. That doctor doesn't know what he is talking about. Heroin and opiate withdrawal is like hell on Earth. I shot heroin for ten years. At highest I was shooting 16 bags of strong Philadelphia dope a day after I received a large inheritance. At the end I kicked 145Mg of methadone cold turkey in prison. I had kicked heroin many times but never stayed clean longer than 90 days because I was still craving so badly that I could not handle it. When I kicked the methadone I was not right for six months but stayed sober off of everything for eight years after that. I can say from experience from being in jail, detoxes and rehabs many times that the doctors in general knew less than I did about opiates and especially the withdrawal. I had a decade of knowledge and experience. They may know a lot about the physical makeup of the human body or whatever and know what text books taught them in school but in most cases they have no idea how bad opiate withdrawal is. Many times I ran into doctors that told me I was just trying to get high when all I wanted was some relief from hell. Every possible ailment that you can imagine seems to happen to an opiate addict with a large habit that has used for any length of time. Doctors like the one OP wrote about should lose their licenses to practice medicine.

I think a lot of the problems people are experiencing with doctors come from ultimately a political source which has invaded universities, a voice which recognizes drug users as despicable beings hardly to be tolerated

I think a lot of the problems people are experiencing with doctors come from ultimately a political source which has invaded universities, a voice which recognizes drug users as despicable beings hardly to be tolerated

That was true with many of the doctors I have dealt with in the past but many of them were good, caring people that honestly just had no clue. I read somewhere that doctors only receive a couple of hours worth of learning about addiction when they are in med school.