What chill/laid-back music have you been listening to?

Am'r Diab; "Tamally Ma'ak"

A very popular Egyptian singer, almost always sings in Arabic. The song above is dynamite, and I have rarely met a Westerner who did not like it ALOT.

I know that one of the Buddha Bar compliation CDs included it not too long ago, and though you cannot find a better Chil Out/Down Tempo compliation, I do not have that particular volume (must have been released when I was away from a major market).

I have most of Diab's releases, and alot of unreleased as well, as Arabic is my 1st langauge.

I would add, as corny as Deepak Chopra is, the combination of Rumi's poetry and a fantastic instrumental makes it a keeper:
Deepak Chopra and Demi Moore (yes, THE actress), "Desire."

"Mima'akim" by the Idan Raichel Project (think I might have offered this as well on a regular 20 track compliation thread due to my propensity for having a couple of down tempo tracks ).

The song, in Hebrew, and Ahmraic, a related language spoken in Ethiopia, and is also included on Buddha, but I have seen different versions on MOS (both Chill Out and more traditional Electronic genres).

The song is a love song, one very popular with us soldiers in the 2006 War, the lyrics caused a great many tears.

"Is Your Love Not Strong Enough," absolute master bar none, Bryan Ferry. The song was in a cheesy movie, "Legend," starring of all people, Tom "Psychology Is A Fraud" Cruise.

Though the film is horid, it WAS directed by Ridley Scott and if any director has earned a lemon, Scott has. Love most of his films...

Oum Khaltoum ,"Yally Kan Yeshgeek Aneini (Banzai Republic Remix)" ...Another Arabic joint, off the Buddha Volume #6, CD #2, the first track on the set, by DJ Ravin, massive even for English speakers.

I pretty much listen to techno/trance all the time; so the best chill songs for me are slower songs [think, songs that are good to listen to on the comedown of a roll]

Examples:
Above and Beyond- Can't Sleep
Armin van Buuren- Burned With Desire
IIO- Kiss You
ATB- Get High
ATB- Ocean Trance

Too etarded to think of any more right now LOL

Ahhhh, someone said M83! Man, that guy is great even if he rips off samples! "Kim and Jesse" is fantastic, but then that snippet from Flock of Seagulls was tight as well. Video is fun as well.

14.gif
video for triangle walks just released.

been listening to paul kalkbrenner, john daly, dj koze, ada, and salem to chill out.

i fucking love Kalkbrenner. <3 his music is so beautiful. he was scheduled to play in LA beginning of this year but his visa fell through- i was crushed. :(

i assume you have some of his live PA recordings...?

i fucking love Kalkbrenner. <3 his music is so beautiful. he was scheduled to play in LA beginning of this year but his visa fell through- i was crushed. :(
beautiful indeed. its like so delicate, don't know how to really put it just beautifully crafted delicate tracks.

i recall u posted about seeing him live, that is devastating he couldn't make it :( im still waiting to see berlin calling =/
i assume you have some of his live PA recordings...?
i do not =/ i should hit up dj google and check some out, now is a good time =)

greetings bluelighting music fanatics

ill add my name to the thievery support crew to start (you know who you are)
though - if you havent already - you should really check out some of the less known stuff from ninja tunes - namely

"up bustle and out"

lovely blend of consistently driving tho down-tempo rhythms, world folk artists from romania, south america, india etc etc
gods of sitar, goddesses of tastefully sparce and moving vocals, lovely polyrhythms and cross rhythms from the percussive section, eclectic blend of track individuality, red hot live performance, all (usually) set to head nodding itchy feet breakbeats.

as an introduction check the album "light 'em up blow 'em out" and "one colour just reflects another - love both - tho former is in my top 20 of all time albums that ye never tire of.

just great music. - reccommended track favs off top of my head - "silks, perfumes and gold", "compared to what", "3 drunk musicians at poncho cafe", "hearty do lallies" oh yes yes yes , "emerald alley" oh i could go on - check out raj and his sitar playing in last track (sick)

also....
future sound of london - lifeforms
(not so much in the way of grooving beats, but an entire musical emotional journey from ecstacy to despair to surreality to reality to thought provoking, sleep-inducing, heart warming, bone chilling brilliantly produced and constructed digital tracks with natural samples)

Lynton Kwesi Johnson
(a severely underrated and unknown classic roots and dub artists - came to brixton in late 60s and was the first jamaican or black artist to use rhyming phoenetic lyrics over music - spoken word political poetry related to black life in england from gastly to glorious. all hip-hop/rap mcs owe homage to lynton - a cornerstone in music)

LSD liquid dub
and Hallucinogen in dub
(psychedelic edged dub and general ambient array of exquisite sounds guaranteed to give aural pleasure)

manu chao - esperanza/clandestino
(happy and playful south american/spanish/french influenced tracks from a true musical genius. it will never leave your head. great music sung in english/spanish/french)

four tet - rounds
(slightly quirky off tempo sounds and samples with a very original feel - slightly edgy though at the same time beautifully crafted digital ambience)

bob marley - talkin blues
best album. fact. bob in his element - with spoken word insight from the late great man himself in between tracks

portishead - dummy
sombre yet exquisite vocal trip hop lyrics by the beautiful beth orton

otis reading - soul ballads
speaks for itself

i could be here forever....................

please please check these out if you havent and spread the musical love

and dont miss
other glorious albums
red snapper - making bones
ladysmith black mombaso - any album
boards of canada - any album
Bjork - vespertine ...........

And single tracks that pop to mind.....

******PATRICE - dont give up the faith (probably the MOST uplifting life-saving hope-giving positive track ever - focus on the good things bluelighters)**************

AND

barber - agnus dei
max romeo - chase the devil

and everything else in my chill collection......................

DJ 303 wishes peace and sunshine upon all - everyday is good because of being alive.

x

Hey guys, I'm new and although I joined for the drugs discussions and to learn more, I'm amazed at the amout of artists and appreciation for electronic music of you bluelighters. I have been all about melodic, and chill-out tunes recently. Check out my Mix called Pleasure. It is a VIP copy so please do not share. This is pure summertime on diesel music.

Phaze Shifter - Pleasure(VIP)

Apparat - Walls
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Boards of Canada - Twoism
Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
Kettel - Myan James Part 1
Kettel - Myan James Part 2
Sigur Ros - ( )
Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun
The Flashbulb - Sountrack to A Vacant Life
The Flashbulb - Reunion
M83 - Saturdays = Youth
Sound Tribe Sector 9 - Artifact
H.U.V.A. Network - Ephemeris
Solar Fields - Movements
Air - Moon Safari
Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur
Jon Hopkins - Insides
The Boats - Faulty Toned Radio
Xela - Tangled Wool
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself
Telefon Tel Aviv - Map Of What Is Effortless
Telefon Tel Aviv - Fahrenheit Fair Enough
Telefon Tel Aviv - Remixes Compiled
Brian Eno - Music For Airports

There is many more that I listen to regularly... but can't think of them off the top of my head right now.... There is a mixture of downtempo / idm / ambient albums there. All amazing music.

Biosphere
Aes Dana
Solar Fields
The Irresistible Force
Autechre
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Higher Intelligence Agency
Aphex Twin

Also: Biosphere

A majority of Aphex Twin and Autechre productions are NOT at all chill out music/downtempo. Brilliant amazing producers.. but 80% of their productions are not relaxing. So It's probably better to name specific albums. (don't get me wrong on this though, they are two of my fav producers)

I'm talking about these

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 and Vol. 2
Autechre - Amber, Chiastic Slide, Tri Repetae

I know, Autechre doesn't really fit into the chillout/ambient genre, but neither does a lot of other things listed in this thread. It sounds "laid back" to me, so whatever. :)