• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The 5 Tiers of Education

heaven forbid anyone have any sort of sense of humour. education and careers isn't always srs bsnss. :|

From the 'shit tier':

"God is dead." [This would imply that the god tier must be too.]

Nietzsche

Because joining the highest echelons of the competitive and distinguished field of geology earns you all the dignity and celestial social status respective of such a venerated and glamorous profession. Donald Trump himself will be fetching you drinks at the trendiest dinner parties after he sees your 7-second on-screen highlight on Discovery Channel's 'How the Earth was Made" in between ads for Applebee's new smoked applewood bacon burger.

I was a visual arts major.

I don't think I will be returning to school to complete that degree. All my friends from that time are not pursuing art as a career right now.

I'm pretty easy now, as I haven't ever made good money my entire life. Which is all I would like to do in the near future.

To me "good money" puts food on the table, a roof over my head, and allows me to buy music, books, art, and sneakers.

I suppose I am now in the under tier ( unlisted )

:D

what this leaves out is what degree you get in your particular area of study. i have a friend with a BA in Geology that's more worthless than my BS in Psych. likewise with economics. a BS in Econ with a strong math background is as strong an undergraduate degree as i can think of.

haha, i'm currently trying to upgrade from low tier to god tier. but i didn't get into psych until after getting pretty far in math and science (and had a lot of stats and computer science along the way), so it's not that huge a leap.

Both my concentrations are in thee "shit tier", International Relations and Philosophy. Looks like it's living in the woods for me ;)

what this leaves out is what degree you get in your particular area of study. i have a friend with a BA in Geology that's more worthless than my BS in Psych. likewise with economics. a BS in Econ with a strong math background is as strong an undergraduate degree as i can think of.

Why would we allow labor markets to structure our hierarchy of 'tiers'?

ebola

Why would we allow labor markets to structure our hierarchy of 'tiers'?

ebola

intentionally callous answer: if you can't do anything (either teaching or working) with your degree, it's not worth a whole lot.

there are more high-minded answers, but the honest truth (IMO) is that a philosophy major who undertook their studies simply to "delve into the nature of reality" isn't going to be terribly satisfied waiting tables all their life, no matter how enlightened they are.

I don't know if I agree 100% either. I was studying chemical engineering but decided it wasn't my bag. I had no problem getting into the program here in Canada at one of the top three undergrad universities in the country. But I am switching gears to Pharmacy at a school ranked about 20th on the list and I believe it's going to be a harder process to get accepted into that degree program considering it's almost like a mini-gradschool. You have to do a year of general study and then apply to get in after interview processes and in most provinces, PCAT exams. With engineering none of this is involved. I see Pharmacy at the top of the list, but that is just my two cents :S

Hell yeah, Kanga you know what's up. Psych is an excellent major, adding on to someone's reply about moving on past undergrad as well, that is a subject that you can pretty much study indefinitely. I mean, you can become a Dr. of Psych, that is god tier in my eyes.

Plus, so many of these subjects eventually tie ends with medicine, which is rated "god tier". So you have to be pretty open minded when thinking about things like that. Any subject that you can contribute something original to should be recognized. PhDs are a wonderful thing/person for society, without these people we'd be stuck with what we know with no further advancement. I'll shut up now haha.

Because joining the highest echelons of the competitive and distinguished field of geology earns you all the dignity and celestial social status respective of such a venerated and glamorous profession. Donald Trump himself will be fetching you drinks at the trendiest dinner parties after he sees your 7-second on-screen highlight on Discovery Channel's 'How the Earth was Made" in between ads for Applebee's new smoked applewood bacon burger.

lol

@^ psychology is a religion, not a science. you'll be in hospitals in the same capacity that the priest who roams around giving last rites is :]

Ok what's all this nonsense about psychology. I'm studying a doctorate in Psychology - specificaly cognitive neuroscience. My work involves statistics, linear algebra, nolinear dynamics, computer programing, dynamic causal modeling and use and analysis of EEG and fMRI. Surely this diserves to be in the top layer.

And if you don't appologise imediatly I'll bombard you with social psychology of in group and out group behaviour till your ears bleed. =D

PS. are you a scientologist?

Last edited: