• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The 5 Tiers of Education

chainsawr

Bluelighter
enter the five tiers of education (and that shit still is rolling downhill, friends)

studyrank.jpg

agree, disagree or death match by mortal kombat. i myself am a prestigious a comp-sci. major so i guess i fit snug in the middle of the mid-tier, not to shabby :\ how about yourselves? do you agree with the diagrams assessment? why or why not? and why the hell did i write the tittle like that? i really have no idea.

top tier, because i'm awesome.

and i'm changing your subject to be normal characters. :|

curse you Rouge Robot! CURSE YOU!!!!!!! i'll have to experiment with subject line characters someplace else :p but back on topic, so your really into geology huh?

yes i am. sedimentology & petrography, to be more specific.

there's a forum for you to test those things out in, but i can't think of the name off hand... :p

You.. derailing ME.. in MY thread? in YOUR forum? WHATS GOING ON HERE!

Psychopharmacology so I guess I rock :D

Its all subjective really, I honestly believe as long as you enjoy what you do who gives a shit what it is... Ive lucked out as I really love what I do, and according to this its in the top tier. Yay...

I think psych has the capability of becoming "God Tier" in the near future.

My reactions

1) Some major disciplines are missing (which are not "shit tier"), but then some really specific ones are included. I would think that in such an extremely well-thought out and professionally presented diagram such as this, that would NEVER have occured.

2) In general, I think that if you took the average Joe or Jane off of the street and made the person attempt all of these subjects, the diagram does an okay job assessing which fields would be the hardest or easiest to do well in. Again, average person and undergrad level. I know some one the "shit tier" fields were ones that were joked about as being "easy" at my college. And again, we're talking about just meeting the necessary criteria to pass. Some people can pass with an engineering degree, and then others can nail honors in some of the lower tier stuff, go on to grad school in it, and actually have more intelligence.

3) According to this diagram, I am polytheistic. That's right ;) However, I suck so badly at playing musical instruments that I probably would have failed out of a music major.

4) I don't agree that astronomy is top tier. Astrophysics, yes. Astronomy, no.

Last edited:
Ummm.... Where Does "Beauty and cosmetology school" fall under? cuz around here, school at all is pretty damn good. I Hate when people judge beauty school. In earlier times in europe and rome and shit, cosmetologists was considered the 3rd higests up profession after lawyers and doctors, it was very prestigous. Now Its like ppl look down and laugh at it like its for ghetto ass high school drop outs which I aint gonna deny I am one of but I am ttryin to make somethin of myself so why is it "shit tier"? Fuck that.:|

It's just that intellectual snobbery working overdrive. People (incl. myself) trying to justify all the $ taken out in loans for school so far, and will continue taking out.. heh

lacey, I think this is based on the typical "academic" college, instead of intstiutions which specialize in certain fields. Beauty school, Tech schools like ITT Tech, Broadcasting schools, etc. I don't think are meant to be considered here. IMO, this is boarderline Lounge material - don't take it as anything more than a meme.

It would be nice if this list was presented with some sort of criteria other than "tier". How am I supposed to agree or disagree with something that fails to identify what it constitutes.

I mean, are we talking in terms of how difficult it is to pass? How well paying the jobs are after graduation? How smart the students are?

I don't think people who excel at math-related courses are necessarily better academics. There are people who know 10 different languages but can't solve a quadratic equation. Does that make them 'shit'?

I'd also like to mirror what Redleader said. There are several specific fields listed, but others missed entirely. Also, there are interdisciplinary studies that reside on different tiers. For example, Life Sciences and Medicine. Pharm/Tox and Chemistry. English and Law. Business and Statistics. The distinctions seem arbitrary at best.

Last edited:
wooo GOD TIER!!

*looks down from on high and lords it over the masses*

n.b. "on high" is a stack of tuition bills ;)

Someone likes math and 'hard' sciences and has the capability to make novelty pics@! ;)
And "statistics" are a set of tools, not a discipline (I guess it can be a major though, which just seems odd to me).

redleader said:
2) In general, I think that if you took the average Joe or Jane off of the street and made the person attempt all of these subjects, the diagram does an okay job assessing which fields would be the hardest or easiest to do well in. Again, average person and undergrad level. I know some one the "shit tier" fields were ones that were joked about as being "easy" at my college.

True. But people appear to confuse easy introductory courses with disciplinary vapidness rather commonly.

ebola

That image generates more interesting discussion on 4chan. ;)

I'm low tier (psychology).

I think psych has the capability of becoming "God Tier" in the near future.

Why do you say that?

And "statistics" are a set of tools, not a discipline (I guess it can be a major though, which just seems odd to me).

"Statistics" is now pretty much synonymous with "applied mathematics." I understand the inconsistancy of how the word is being used, though. C'est la vie...

Kyk said:
I mean, are we talking in terms of how difficult it is to pass? How well paying the jobs are after graduation? How smart the students are?

I don't think people who excel at math-related courses are necessarily better academics. There are people who know 10 different languages but can't solve a quadratic equation. Does that make them 'shit'?

Difficulty to pass, as opposed to how smart the average student in the discipline is. Clearly your foreign language example demonstrates this -- the programs in FL tend to only want one to learn 2 or so. I think dilligence can lead one to 2, but you gotta have a gift upstairs to learn 10. Likewise, a computer programmer can learn enough languages required to graduate a lot easier than s/he could learn 5x as many. Similar arguments for other fields...

--

Okay, so I think the creator of the meme, whether it was the OP or was found on the net by the OP, is basically trying to say which majors are "harder" than others. Now this is pretty much impossible, given the amount of variables that need to be considered. But when people try to do this, more often then not, the argument is something like this:

To find the most difficult majors, look at the starting pay for the jobs in the prospective majors. Generally, the more money they make starting out, the harder the coursework, the less graduates, therefore the a higher demand.

I am not saying I necessarily agree with this argument (in fact I see blatent flaws), but I'm putting it out there as something a bit more formalized than the 5 tiers. Thoughts? Either about where ya fall on such, or about the merit of such an argument...

PJ-AM131_JOBHUN_20080407182414.gif

Note that these charts tend to change based on who is doing the research. I just went fish.

Last edited:
There aren't any parameters for the subjects to be where they are so I don't really see how it has any meaning or relevance at all.