• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The 5 Tiers of Education

Low Tier - Psychology. I resent this list as it's a really old troll from /b/.

this is lounge material.

Low Tier - Psychology. I resent this list as it's a really old troll from /b/.

this is lounge material.

everyone in the lounge dropped out years ago.
but your right, i found this in my old my pictures folder from other computer heh

Yeah psychology. reading this thread you people should stop running your mouths about shit you know nothing about.

Psychology is a fascinating field...with its own doctorate...you don't have to Ph.D. in psych. You can get a Psy.D. as a doctor. Like yeah. It's far more legitimate than what you've heard. Just needs time to grow.

I'm working on my BS in computer engineering, I have to take some tough courses. 210 Digital Design I, 286 Introduction to Microprocessors, 312 Computer Organization, 315 Digital Design II with Laboratory, 387 Embedded System Design, 399 Independent Study in Computer Engineering, 408 Operating Systems, 410 Introduction to Computer Architecture, EE 446 MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems), 447 Logic Synthesis Using FPGAs, 448 Introduction to VLSI Design, 449 A Senior Project, 449 B Senior Project, 457 Electronic Design Using Programmable Analog Arrays, EE458 Analog VLSI, 471 Data and Computer Communications, 472 Computer Networks, 473 Local Area Networks, 481 Mobile Communications, 482 Network Administration, and 489 Software Engineering.
I am currently taking all the courses,Calculus, Biology, English Comp, History, and Statistics
So far I'm barely making it. I my lowest grade is a 75, and that's in Statistics. I'm going to have to take thermal dynamics in the fall.. :'(
So far I'm good! :D

Everyone in my family has a Engineering Masters degree in all kinds of stuff, my grand daddy got his engineering degree in Aeronautical Engineering ( he flew jets in WW II, Korean War, Vietnam, and Desert Storm (he retired as a major general 2 stars), My uncle got his degree in Civil and Development Engineering, and built a fucking huge golf course in Naples, Florida, My other uncle has a Engineering degree in Electricity, and my dad's a environmental toxicologist engineer . Now since I'm the only boy in college I've got the engineering in my blood. I know I can do it. I have the power of good note taking! I record the Professors voice, and listen to it later at night and re write notes until I have them memorized, I make note cards a lot. I don't let annnyyy thing hold me down! I hardly drink. Good luck to you "Engineers"!!!!

Last edited:
computer science & computer engineering, is there a difference?

i still only have my associates in cosi & infotech

I dont understand how P&T gets in the top and not the god, it is basically Medicine and Chemistry rolled up into a ball.... Though I am currently in the god tier!

computer science & computer engineering, is there a difference?

i still only have my associates in cosi & infotech

Yes. Anyone interested in getting a job (outside of Academia) should do Computer Engineering over Computer Science, IMO. The starting salaries are much higher for CE. Why? Because CE teaches you how to work things, whereas CS teaches you how things work. And given our economic conditions, companies seem more eager to hire those who know how to work things over those who know how things work (but promise to learn how to work things of course ;) ). In CS, you'll get professors who have interests in algorithms, how different types of languages differ, the logic behind circuits or memory management, etc. You'll take more math courses and see programming and hard/software building in a more abstract sense. In contrast, CE tones down on the theoretical side of evertything, and instead teaches you how to use actual software, work with hardware, networking, etc. It has much more of a vocational feel, whereas CS feels highly academic.

I don't have a degree in either, but I basically have the equivalent of a CS degree through self-training. However, I'd bomb out trying to do any job given to a recent CE grad - I have a good ability to learn new technology over time and understand what's going on under the hood, so to speak, but aside from knowing programming languages with my favorite compilers, my knowledge of third-party tracts (like Cisco), networking and hardware is not very extensive. Again, because I know more about how to learn than the extent of stuff I've actually learned. Because again, CS mainly teaches you how things work, employers see the CE grads as having the advantage of not needing a lot of specific training on using their choice(s) of technolgy, even at the loss of the candidate not having the problem-solving training and learning capabilities that a CS grad would have.

I think IT and CE are actually closer than CE and CS in a lot of schools.

Last edited:
I went the IT route and I'm glad, because I realized that after graduating that I learned just about all I ever wanted to know about computers (and more).

Getting a vocational degree in IT won't teach you the finer details and you'll come out with almost no programming knowledge, but you will understand networking, hardware, metadata, operating systems, server/client structure, basic unix, web servers and a whole bunch of good stuff that tends to get overlooked at the University level.

Computer Engineering sounds like a win/win. I hated having to take calculus 1/2/3. despised it. it's the reason i got the IT degree too.. i had to keep retaking calc classes for better grades to transfer with and ended staying around an extra semester for calc 2/3 so i just took a few extra 200/300 classes and scored the IT degree too :]

Computer Science needs to be higher, fuck Astronomy, no but really who gives a fuck about Astronomy.

Psychology should be bumped up also, you can do a lot in Psychology

i think it has something to do with abstraction in relation to the other fields of study or something like that

I was going to rank myself until I realized this is fundamentally flawed, I was hoping for GED, highschool graduate, associates, bachelors, masters, phd or something, (I know thats six tiers). It doesn't haveany correlations (that we know of) other than the persons opinion, I guess?

I was going to rank myself until I realized this is fundamentally flawed, I was hoping for GED, highschool graduate, associates, bachelors, masters, phd or something, (I know thats six tiers). It doesn't haveany correlations (that we know of) other than the persons opinion, I guess?

i think it has something to do with abstraction in relation to the other fields of study or something like that

As a future chemist I'm going to be god. Doing quite good at the moment, but still a long way in front of me

This pyramid is lounge troll material. It's incredibly stupid and ignorant, and this is coming from somebody who is supposedly studying in the "god tier".

I love shitting on philosophy majors like everyone else, but considering this is the education forum, it would be nice if the level of discourse was kept a bit higher.

...please? :\

^ I generally agree with you. I mean even the more serious forums need some lightheartedness now and then, but if it dosen't run its course in a week or two, I'll think about sending it to the Lounge or to its retirement.