Bluelight

Thread: Help! How do I avoid the munchies!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Yeah, I've been gaining weight lately because I usually eat before smoking but then after I smoke I want to eat again and I don't really care about self control.

Though I am just gaining back weight after losing over 25 pounds in 2 months because of adderall abuse.
    Last edited by DoorsofPerception; 01-07-2009 at 00:45.

2. Collapse Details

You can try drinking a shitton of water/herbal tea before and after you blaze. It makes it uncomfortable to eat after that. Or eat vegetables when you've got the munchies.

It's also not terribly hard to re-train yourself to not eat when high. Once you get out of the habit of eating after blazing you don't really miss it anymore. If you smoke at night, weight gain is a particular problem because you're eating a buffet right before you go to bed. If you don't want to continue to gain weight, definitely avoid late night eating.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Eat before you smoke.
    Problem solved.

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I find munchin' on fruit gets rid of them munchies pretty quick for me. Also gets rid of that damned cottonmouth at the same time, 2 birds with one stone, tastes fantastic and is healthy!

5. Collapse Details

Fuck it...I love the munchies.

May be bad, but I always like eating sour patch kids.

I have always had the munchies ever since I started smoking pot...For me, theres no way getting around it..

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by a thing View Post
    1. Smoke more or less. I tend to only get the munchies for medium doses.
    It unavoidable for me. Once I took a resin hit, just to clear my bong. I ended up cleaning out my kitchen later.

Trying to avoid the munchies on weed would be like trying to eat on e. It's nearly impossible.

Try doing very intense strength training. Then eat all the (good) food you want. You'll get to indulge plus you'll get ripped.

7. Collapse Details

I dunno if its beeen said already, but eat a big giant meal BEFORE you smoke. This will help with the munchies considerably....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by masteryoda213 View Post
    I dunno if its beeen said already, but eat a big giant meal BEFORE you smoke. This will help with the munchies considerably....
    I do this all the time and it works great. I find that when you eat after you smoke it kinda takes your high down a notch. Filling up on food before hand is a great way around this

9. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    eat fruits vegetables?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
    It unavoidable for me. Once I took a resin hit, just to clear my bong. I ended up cleaning out my kitchen later.

Trying to avoid the munchies on weed would be like trying to eat on e. It's nearly impossible.

Try doing very intense strength training. Then eat all the (good) food you want. You'll get to indulge plus you'll get ripped.
    Ionno about you, but I like to indulge in moist food in that state. That usually means sugary, not protein-loaded, food.

11. Collapse Details

Eating 6 smaller healthy meals throughout the day instead of 3 large ones could help. It will keep your metabolism going to prevent hunger and you will have extra energy which could enhance your cannabis sessions.

Also if that fails, it all boils down to self control. Just distract yourself with a video game or something hands on. Avoid TV, all those commercials for food will probably make you give in

Lastly, daily exercise (Even walking) will help

12. Collapse Details

Haha! I know what you mean about gaining a lot of weight when smoking weed. Lately I've cut back my smoking to once or twice every 2-3 weeks, trying to stop altogether. Sober, I'll eat maybe one meal a day and have a few glasses of water-- keeping my weight at about 122-127lbs.

Every time I smoke and go on that insane munchie-binge and weigh myself the next day it's always upwards of 140lbs. I don't fucking get how 1 night can boost my weight like that, and I don't know how to avoid the shit happening either. My best advice is what's already been said: stick it out and don't eat or only eat healthy foods. Personally, I have this problem of stuffing myself with everything within reach in my kitchen, whether I've bought it or not. ...When I smoke people tend to get angry at me for eating all their food...

13. Collapse Details

Eat before you smoke.
    Eat healthy meals.
    Drink green tea or lemon juice in water.
    Exercise.
    Don't smock too much.
    Get out and about-be active.

14. Collapse Details

have will power? lol. when i smoke and get the munchies and suddenly get hungry i just remember how i wasn't hungry at all 10 minutes ago and try to hold on to that thought

15. Collapse Details

All the "have will-power" posts are just too obnoxious. The original poster reminds me of myself in that one of the things I most love about weed is that it tends to obliterate anxiety and worry -- which means it also tends to obliterate will-power. The two tend to go hand-in-hand for me. With the net effect that, although I generally smoke many miles from my house so that I don't have access to the kitchen and am thus unable to cram food down my gullet, when I am at home and have smoked the results are often devastating

Last night I ate a whole box of cereal. The real problem being that it was oat cereal, and I have celiac's disease. Oats aren't as bad for gluten-intolerant people as wheat and barley and rye are, so I'm hoping I don't break out in cystic acne and suffer from a roiling stomach for the days to come, but often following a binge in which I eat foods to which I'm allergic, such consequences do entail.

So, I advise going into each and every smoking session with an objective. Think to yourself, "Why am I smoking weed right now?" every single time before you smoke. If the reason is, "I'm bored," you need to get a life and find meaningful things to fill your time. Drugs should enhance life, not substitute for having a life.

As for me ... I smoke weed to enhance trance music. Or when I'm composing music of my own. Or when I want to walk outside and really, really just open up to nature and feel so good. Or sometimes (with mixed success) when writing fiction. Or to be at ease with friends. Not because I want to vegetate in front of the damn TV with a loaf of bread in one hand and a stick of butter in the other.

16. Collapse Details

I find Bananas to be very helpful with munchies. I have the same problem, I gain weight fairly easily. I just sit down with a bottle of diet soda and a banana. Take a sip of the soda and/or a bit of the banana every time you feel hungry. Bananas fill you up a lot specially with liquids.

Also as someone mentioned before, try to stock on healthy snacks. Maybe a fruit salad, or those fruit snacks which are very very low on calories. And as always, show some self restraint.

Hope that helps.

17. Collapse Details

empty fridge and hell of self control, that's all

18. Collapse Details

for me its like this the thought of eating pops into my brain when im high but if u ignore it for just a little bit then the munchies go away. Just keep urself entertained while high and u should be good. or just get so high u cant walk lol

19. Collapse Details

I personally, eat before I smoke. Works like a charm

20. Collapse Details

Greenlighter
    i can only speak 4 myself, for me ya get that when ya first start smoking..i myself dont get the munchies anymore, if i have my tea in the oven and then have a smoke, i dont want food no more, for me its a appetite killer..but we are all different

21. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    exercise, drink water, eat before you smoke, uhhhh that's about it. haha

22. Collapse Details

Satisfy your munchies by replacing your usual donuts and candy with grapes or some kind of fruit. You still get the sweet, but you're not stuffing yourself with awful shit.

23. Collapse Details

I love getting the munchies, but I've lost a ton of weight and don't want to gain it back. Carrots and other veggies are fantastic for munching, but I found proportioning things out works well too. If I'm not paying attention, I'll eat a whole bag of chips. So I take out a handful, put them in a cup, and leave the kitchen. That way I can have the junk food my munchies are making me crave, and do it in moderation. It works with cookies too...even if you have to portion this stuff out before you smoke, it's definitely worth it.

Don't let smoking pot control your appetite...it took me a long time to figure out how to eat while NOT high, so it's not a good habit to get into. Plus, if you eat a healthy dinner, and then blaze, you can then have your already portioned-out snack guilt-free.

24. Collapse Details

Well just get so high that you fall asleep

25. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by purple_cloud View Post
    It works with cookies too...

I don't know why, but that made me lol. I'm not even high and I found that really funny.

"It works with cookies too"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast