• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸CASE STUDIES - It could happen to YOU!⫷

Well it definitely worked, I am sick to my stomache and am so glad I have stopped abusing and gotten onto MMT. I often worry that complications may arise after all the 8mg dillies I used to shoot

Fatal intravenous misuse of transdermal fentanyl

Clinical record
A 35-year-old woman with a history of intravenous drug use was brought by ambulance to the emergency department after an intravenous overdose of the contents of a transdermal fentanyl patch.
The ambulance had been called to a private home where there were two people unconscious, a man and a woman. Both appeared to have had acute narcotic overdoses. It was later confirmed that they had shared (and injected intravenously) the contents of a transdermal fentanyl patch (5 mg) found at the scene. Both patients were rapidly assessed by the ambulance officers, and the initial resuscitation concentrated on the male patient, who, at first assessment, appeared to be in a more critical state. He was unrousable and was reported to have Cheyne–Stokes respiration. His blood sugar level was checked (10.5 mmol/L) and he was given 1.2 mg naloxone intravenously. He recovered consciousness within five minutes and subsequently absconded from the scene while the second patient was being treated.
In the interim, the female patient had suffered a cardiorespiratory arrest. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was commenced, with the assistance of police officers who were also in attendance. According to ambulance records, her initial rhythm was electromechanical dissociation, which subsequently deteriorated into ventricular fibrillation. A direct current countershock (200 J energy) was applied. The patient went into asystole. She was intubated and intermittent positive pressure ventilation with 100% oxygen was started. Naloxone 1.6 mg, adrenalin 10 mg (total dose) and atropine 2 mg were administered intravenously. Subsequently, she developed a narrow complex tachycardia with a rate of 130 beats/minute and had a palpable cardiac output. The total time spent at the scene was 40 minutes, and transport time to hospital took 5 minutes.
On arrival at the emergency department she was unconscious, with a Glasgow Coma Score of 3. Her pupils were dilated and non-reactive to light. She was making occasional attempts at respiration and was ventilated as above with 100% oxygen. Her heart rate was 120 beats/minute in sinus rhythm, systolic blood pressure 55 mmHg and oxygen saturation 97%. One litre of Haemaccel and a noradrenalin infusion were administered, resulting in an initial improvement in systolic blood pressure to 95 mmHg. It was evident that she had vomited at the scene, and clinical signs were consistent with aspiration, which was later confirmed on chest x-ray. Laboratory results for arterial blood, serum and urine are shown in Box 1. She was transferred to the intensive care unit, where she subsequently developed diabetes insipidus, abnormal liver function, disseminated intravascular coagulation and had ongoing haemodynamic instability.
The next day, cerebral computed tomography (CT) scan showed changes in the basal ganglia and mild generalised cerebral swelling consistent with severe hypoxia (Box 2A). A CT scan of her abdomen showed generalised changes in the bowel wall and mesentery consistent with bowel necrosis (Box 2B). Surgical intervention was considered to offer little in view of the severe neurological damage and multiorgan failure. Following extensive discussion with family members, inotropic support was withdrawn and she died soon afterwards.

https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177_10_181102/ree10446_fm.pdf

Holy shit! Did I read that correctly? 5 MG and not 5 mcg? Jesus, that would kill a few elephants. Shit. The most I've ever had of fentanyl was 200mcg on my body at once. Iv'ng or injecting scares the shit out of me for these very reasons. I know I have a really high IV tolerance from what they've had to give me in the hospital, but you never know how much you're getting off a patch :S

I just thought about this, it's putting out said dose 100 mcg 150 mcg, whatever every hour, if you mulitply that by 24 hrs x 3, yes, that's an insane amount of narcs all at once.

Last edited:
In order to convert the opioid/benzodiazepine chemical compound itself into a gaseous state, that would require the compound being heated to its vaporization point, would it not? And obviously, this temperature has the potential to be exceedingly hot, especially if the intended aerosolized drug is meant to be non-lethal. So, in my somewhat informed opinion, I do not think that it could be a pure form of the opioid/benzodiazepine in its gaseous state.
An aerosol isn't a gas, it's a suspension of solids or liquids in air. You wouldn't be heating a drug to vaporisation, that would be unfeasible in the vast majority of cases. You are effectively spraying a mist of it. Sorry to continue OT.

It's not desperation. it is called addiction...My ex had one of the first reported cases of WB in September 1991, he was in the hospital for 4 months, he couldn't move, he couldnt even open his eyes, and he stayed that way for months. So if anyone thinks "This happens to other people" think again. My ex was on deaths door and his doctor to this day has no idea how he survived. His doctor is one of the doctors who was mentioned in that report..WB is no joke man, it is a killer, and with this black tar crap, well all I can say is thank God for methadone..I mutilated my body because once the veins are gone, I just stuck the needle anywhere, in my forarm, my butt, my legs. I had so many absesses that I am surprized I didn't lose an arm or a leg..I have scars all over my body, and that sucks. I am not saying this to brag, I am saying this because if it means one person won't put that needle in their arm for the first time tonight, everything I said is worth it. I am 54 years old and most of my friends are dead or in prison, please guys, if you are thinking about picking up a rig, think it through...Think what your life will be one year from today..I don't wish my nightmare on my worst enemy..I love to party, just no more stuff and no needles.....

LillyF40
I really think it depends on the person, and how they are... I have been using since i could remember, but never would really say i was a full blown drug addict.. I was recreational, more then others at times in my life. But i used meth for a lil over a year, and honestly didnt think i had a problem. I was a completely person, and yes i seen it.. but denial was a bitch.. But one day when i woke up and didnt want to get out of bed inless i new i was going to get the help from the drug because i had no energy my body was drained, and still is in so many wayys i have changed in so many ways because of rehab... but i still cant kick it completely.. Or am i not ready, yes in so many ways.. BUT THATS MY ADDICT KICKIN IN.. I am ready and have been, but its on my mind daily, from the beginning tilll end of the day. My will power is good now, but it should be great.. I have a 3 yr old, and thats why i do control it, and dont use meth anymore.. But i still will frequently stay up one night when i dont have him on synthetic over the counter shit. and i know its not right.. But is that gonna make me fall into the trap again, Im scared of that. Because my thought process changes every sec of the say about it.. I hate to love it.. But its the demon or something inside me, if thats what ppl believe.. I guess it makes sense in alot of ways. But maybe its ok to have fun, but not plan the drug use.. thats recreational right? Idk. Any advice would be great thanks so much

DON'T bang your subs! [a friendly warning]

Banging any pills is bad. But some are worse than others [for example, dilaudids are known to be best since they are tiny and have little binders. MS Contins are bad cuz of the gel. And Oxies and MS IR's are as bad or worse cuz of the talc.] I've always been hearing about suboxone and subutex injection on this site, and even did it myself a few times. But it always seemed to be a mad dangerous thing, even as far as injecting pills and heroin goes, cuz I mean they taste like fucking lemonade or w/e and so does the solution you inject.

Well here's an article which proves why you shouldn't. Especially since it gives no rush. I just feel obligated to post this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17375011

[Necrotic livedo after injection of buprenorphine (Subutex)].

I couldn't find what necrotic livedo means. But it doesn't sound too good. [searched it: sounds like damaged skin cells: i.e. leprosy-type shit on your arm. ACH!]
Don't ask me how I found this article. There is such a thing as TMI even on BL :)

that is why if people are going to inject a pill (not only suboxone), it is their choice, not ours. They have already made a decision before coming online to ask how to do it, we can *try* to talk them out of it, but if that fails.. We do what we are here for.. we tell them the safest way- like, sterile water, micron filters, use a new rig every time etc..
If someone wants to do something they will and i totally understand what you are trying to do.. deter the danger of injecting a dangerous substance I'm not arguing or anything, just adding another point of view (the one of the person who is hell bent on injecting a various pill) in this case suboxone.

Last edited:
^^^ Get what your saying, but we definitely need these types of threads every so often just go reiterate the fact that pills are never designed to bang!. Good work CD! ^.^

that said, i have recently and sadly, will in the future inject extracted/diluted/whatever pills like dilaudid. but those have so few binders in them. ive had no complications. thank god.

but i would definitely not inject methadone or suboxone. there's a reason they love to give those as opioid replacement. cuz they are not very recreational and very bad to inject. same as high doses of codeine.

i should practice what i preach of course. ive never even used a micron filter. but like i said its been mostly dilaudid, which does well, since they're tiny, potent little pills. ive injected MS Contins a few dozen times - way more than im proud to admit - but thats cuz it was all that was available. sadly, i would do it again. the addiction is strong.

but injecting things like lyrica or subutex or benzos, which are not only pointless to inject but much more dangerous than conventional opiate pills, is a step further in the wrong direction, IMO.

I'd love to see some more updates to this. I found this after having my first adverse reaction to an attempted IV administration, and this scared me straight. Also, I am quite intrigued by the case of mutism after the massive crack binge... I'd love to see some more papers detailing chronic psychological problems after drug abuse. The paper about Malay IV pill abusers... chilling. Bravo to all those who have contributed thus far, please continue!

Why was this thread taken out of sticky? It is one of the best harm prevention threads we have.

^^^ + 1. I find addiction absolutely fascinating! I wanna major in addiction! And agree with deranger re chronic psychological problems after drug abuse.

Case 3
A 23-year-old male presented initially with severe unilateral left upper limb oedema with no history of trauma. he was treated with warfarin. He presented 2 months later with ischaemia distal to the mid-forearm and dry gangrene of all the digits of the left hand (Fig. 4). He admitted to having injected a Subutex® solution into his brachial artery because he could not find a vein. He initially refused amputation and absconded, but presented again 3 months later with sepsis and wet gangrene of the digits. All digits on his left hand were amputated at the level of the proximal phalanx. Following this, he again injected Subutex® into his left brachial artery, resulting in worsening ischaemia from the level of the mid-forearm distally. He was given intravenous iloprostol and prophylactic antibiotics, but his forearm turned gangrenous, requiring a below-elbow amputation.
[/LIST]

WOW. Lol. He really had to do it twice?? Awesome thread. :)

Irrelevant to the topic but i was waiting for this day.

a while back i started a thread which was regarding meth and heroin and which is more dangerous. meth was obviously the clear winner. after reading this thread i am happy to be an ice head than a dope head anyday. Incase some 1 comes up with meth case studies that prove other wise.

and since this is bluelight and we only deal in facts and stats, and majority of the case studies involve opiates. so stats prove opiates and all its derivatives are more Dangerous than meth (weither direct, indirect, irresponsible/reckless behaviour etc.)

Heroin is more likely to cause a fatal overdose, but meth is still not "safe" by every account. Some people are susceptible to amphetamine psychosis from extended days up on it.

There may be more case studies involving opiates because methamphetamine is a pure drug, whereas, most people who use opiates either get heroin, or pills. Not all people get pills.

There are plenty of case studies here on methylphenidate.

There haven't been a whole bunch of new additions since DJSim (the mod who got this running for a while) has stepped down (a long time ago).

"Less dangerous than heroin" isn't saying a great deal though, is it?
majority of the case studies involve opiates. so stats prove opiates and all its derivatives are more Dangerous than meth
That's a ridiculous statement. What makes you think that the case studies included in this thread are a representative sample? It sounds to me like you are desperately trying to convince yourself that methamphetamine use is harmless, when that couldn't be further from the truth. You can't make a direct like-for-like comparison of the hazards posed by two drugs like that. If an IV opioid user had access to a clean supply of drug, and had the knowledge and equipment to practise perfect IV technique, they would actually encounter relatively little chronic toxicity. The same cannot be said of methamphetamine; it is a highly neurotoxic drug.