• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

3 leaf marijuana Plant

redsky1718

Bluelighter
I'm growing this plant that has been growing for about 6 weeks now but all the branches have 3 leaves on it. Not 5 or 7 but 3 does anyone know why? or if this is normal, or has anyone experienced similar plant many thanks!!

Hmm interesting, if its mature & exhibiting such traits id like to see a close up of the leaf ridges for a good guess as to if its Chemdawg related. If im not mistaken true OG, D, etc.(maybe 4#?) all have the three fat finger thing going on. Oh & Equatorial Sati's put any chemdawg to shame any day. sorry kids your not that special. :'(

Some strains actually grow in 3 leaf patterns. I recall looking at a photo of cannabis leaves on erowid that even had 9 leaf patterned plants.

hmm... interesting yes like i said it about 6 to 6 1/2 weeks old and 8 to 9 inches tall the leafs are very lush green and really healthy. I am asking this question because all the plants that i have had in the past were clone's from the club and when you buy them there are already 1 in a half 2 months old and pretty developed with 5 and 7 leaves every time i buy them. with this current 3 leaf plant i germinated the seed myself

well i have seen certain strains in the cannabible 2 that at full maturity had only 3leaf plants
it was a hawaiin strain i think called molaki (i think) so it is possible. i wouldnt worry about it

The cannabible is full of misinformation (i didnt say disinfo because i think the author genuinely felt it was the truth at the time of publishing... or something?). Also, high time's CD is a total fake. Seriously guys, why's that thing goin purple?:!

i can kinda see what you are sayin.
i agree that the cannible guy shows a very clear bias in his book, and it is also one mans opinion, (in regards to the smell and flavor of the buds)

but exactly what is it you are referring too, not tryin to interogate you i would just genuinly like to know since i own 2 of the books and for the most part refer to them or the internet when i get my weed.

but as far as the OP is concerned i have atleast seen a picture of a fully mature plant that only had three leaves and it looks dank so i wouldn't worry

duckfoot has 3 leaves hense the name, it's an australian breed i think

thats good to hear i just wanted to see what you all had to say on this, but I will keep you all updated as grow progresses :)

i have seen 3 to 9 leaf fully mature plants that have budded nicely and fully but i have also seen 3 leaf plants that have had really stringy and all around crappy buds. but then again ive seen 9 leaf plants with crappy buds. im not an expert in growing but i am just sharing my knowledge.

I have a sour diesel clone that was taken from a mature mother with a 5 leaf pattern. The clone rooted and all the new growth has reverted to a 3 leaf pattern. The plant as grown 5 nodes up with no change. Will this affect the potency or yield of the plant? Also, would this clone be worth turning into a mother even with its mutation? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
it's a male!

or at least, i'd keep my eye on it till it flowers to make sure it isn't.

It doesn't mean anything, it could be a mutation, the strain, or sometimes leaves are 3 fingered when its immature, and hwen it starts to grow it increases.

Just curios, I have a plant that is growing in with a palm tree of mine that I had brought up from Florida. But I've tossed so many seeds in there I have no idea what kind I have growing. I would like to think that it's gonna b something GREAT, but all the seeds came from a bag that I bought and smoked lol. Ok so first question, I believe it's an indica because of the 5 leaf pattern, and that the leaves r fatter. But I can't tell how to tell if it is going to give me buds, or just leaf (f or m), also, its about two feet tall ans I just realised it last wk, lol it's out side, but I was wondering how I might also get it out of the same flower pot that the palm tree is in. It's starting to kill the palm tree and I was wondering if by removing it, will that harm it seeings how I have to tip the whole thing over to pull it out, separate the roots from everything and sghould I do this with wet or damp soil. I know not to do it when it is dry, even though that when dry it pulls out of the flower pot better lol. How do u put pix on here? I would show u what I mean

^ you need to look for pistils which signify female. When your light decreases closer to 12/12 you will start to see buds form if female. If it is male it will have these balls on it.
For future reference I would not grow in a container with another tree or plant. it causes them to compete for root space.
I just read your post again and realized your palm tree is dying. That is what I was mentioning above. One will generally get "strangled" by the other roots. The only way to remove it would be if it was in a pot not the ground. If in a pot turn the pot upside down when the dirt is dry. Grab the trunk base of the plant with an open palm to support the plant. Be careful not to drop it. But, how long has the plant been growing? If it has been growing for more than a few weeks, don't try to transplant. It will go into transplant shock and will most likely no recover. If it is in the ground not a pot, your probably screwed. You can't remove that plant without killing it. The roots will stay in the dirt causing the plant to go into shock and die.
I transplant when it is dry. If it is wet the root ball will not hold the dirt together and instead crumble. You will damage and stress the roots if that happens. Since it is VERY late in the season a plant will generally not recover this year. I would avoid transplanting at all costs, this late in the season. Being in florida you have a little more than 13 hours of light. You should be seeing female identifying parts by now... Though not buds yet.
If you want post a picture and I will identify it for you. Upload to a photo hosing site and then copy the link, click the "insert photo" icon when posting a message.

I also have 3 leaf plant is it good or bad..this is my first uear growin but ive been around it. 4 years and never seen a 3leafer lol

From seed as the plant grows, the number of leaves tends to increase at each node until it reaches the maximum.

I personally have found my favorite way of seeing if a plant is a male or not before it has reached sexual maturity is to use the genefinder method. You take a cutting, separate it into a light proof box and using a small household CFL (just a normal 12W CFL will do) put it under 12/12 lighting. The clone will show its sex before the plant does. Otherwise you can wait until the plant shows it sex under 12/12 light, but you will take up more space for longer this way. For the sake of potency, you should ideally not flip to 12/12 until your plant has reached sexual maturity as plants grown this way can be about twice as potent. If more people only knew this it would make such a difference. Plus once the plant is sexually mature you can flower clones as quickly as you want, so it's just a one time investment of time.

Last edited:
I have one that is almost mature and has only grew three finger leaves its whole life.