Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Migrating to Australia

fengtau

Bluelight Crew
I am thinking of migrating to Australia. Naturally, I have some questions so what better place to ask them than in Bluelight! <38):);)

1. How is the health care system there?
2. Which city should I live in? I am thinking either Melb, Sdyney or Perth.
3. I already work for ANZ Bank but how's the job market there now?
4. I plan to start my own store selling Thai handicraft. Is there a market for this kind of stuff? See sample here
5. Do you think I should migrate?

Thanks!

1. The health care system is one of the best in the world

2. Melbourne, Sydney and Perth could potentially all be good cities depending on what you like.

If you don't mind a quieter lifestyle and enjoy warm weather all year round, Perth is nice. Keep in mind, it's a bit isolated from the rest of the country though and employment opportunities are somewhat more limited. Major companies tend to have their head offices in either Melbourne or Sydney.

Sydney is the business hub of Australia, I don't particularly like it - I find it expensive, dirty, and it does have a reputation for being a bit on the superficial side. That said, the weather is more consistent than Melbourne, and there's some nice beaches within easy reach.

Melbourne is also a big city, more relaxed vibe than Sydney, but the weather isn't the best. Melbourne is good for shopping, dining, bars, etc. and is more reasonably priced. If you like sports, you'll like Melbourne.

3. The job market has seen better days. Secure something before you rock up!

4. Yes, potentially... probably mostly in Melbourne - there's many trendy areas inner city that appreciate unique items. Sydney possibly too, but keep in mind how much more it would cost you to lease a shop.

5. Up to you. Do you think you'd fit in well with the culture?

1. Healthcare is 100% free and universal for citizens and permanent residents, private insurance for foreigners is cheap and plentiful
2. Perth for wedded w/ kids, Melbourne for 25-40's, Sydney for crime and gangstering
3. If you have actual skills and accompanying qualifications (or if you dont), work is ridiculously easy to find
4. This is absolutely viable. I have a little shop selling foreign books and videos and crap i find overseas, and i clean up
5. Yes

Yes! Do it! I would love to see you and the family here :D

1. Healthcare is OK. Maybe not to Singapore standard, but our public system is pretty decent. You're healthy, assuming the family is too, I don't think this needs to be a major consideration just yet.

2. Any of those. Of course I'm going to say Melbourne, but all three cities are very nice. I think KL and Melbourne have some things in common - they are cosmopolitan, vibrant etc. Bear in mind that Melbourne gets *very* cold for 4-5 months of the year (by your standards). Perth gets revoltingly hot for 2-3 months between Dec and Feb. Your little ones might find it too much. Sydney's weather will be closest to what you're used to.

3. The market is what we euphemistically call "unsettled". With your background I can't see any major hassles finding work, but then again, I've been unemployed for three months and I never thought that could happen to me :) Probably best to scope with your employer before you consider moving.

4. Yeah, Australians love this kind of stuff. I remember you were talking about importing furniture a while back. There's still a solid market in that here. I suggest coming here, working for a year or so, getting a feel for the place and then putting something in motion. More than happy to help you out with this.

5. Yes. I think your family would love it and the worst that can happen is you have to go back.

I guess my questions (based on the fact I know you outside of BL) are:
- Would your wife have enough here to keep her happy? Work/friends/raising the kids? It'd be a shame if she was bored and it's a long way from your family.
- Do you want your kids to be raised in a Western culture? There are plusses: they'll learn English from native speakers, and it's a very nice, safe country (mostly), but they might experience some racism that wouldn't be a consideration at home.

But still! Do eeeet! :D

Hey fengtau, you might find this site helpful http://www.livingin-australia.com. It'd be worth having a flick through.

I wouldn't suggest taking advice from bluelighters. They're generally borderline retarded. Especially the ones from Melbourne.

The medical system is pretty darn good and handy. Talking about non-knowing retards dear UAN expressed complete disbelief when I told her Medicare was paying for my treatment after I was stupid enough to break my hand punching a fence.

1. Health care is excellent
2. Melbourne, of course ;) I guess it's what you're after. Melb & Syd are much more, 'lively' cities.
3. Try & secure a job before you get here, if you have prior experience it should be fine.
4. Yes, I'd say Melbourne for that one (not because I'm biased:D) but Melbourne is very cultural.
5. YES!

While I don't wish to start any baseless rumours, I've heard from extremely reliable weather balloons that for sport, the people in Sydney often round up the disabled, infirm, weak, homeless and unattractive people and throw them off the Harbour Bridge... whilst shooting them.

I've also seen (with my own eyes), Sydney BL'ers feasting on the blood of infants and the newborn. They claim this gives them "superpowers" amongst which they describe as "staying young and beautiful" and "making them popular, like lots of cocaine".

Anyway, I just bring you the facts, you decide okay? ;)

PS. I'm in IT, the job market seems pretty stagnant at the moment, people are rushing for more secure jobs like government or large corporates. I've known a few people out of work for a few months now; development leads, business analysts. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the U.S. is right now though.

Those people who are telling you that healthcare is free are living in a fantasy world told to them by their union rep. If you earn more than $100 000 you actually have 1% of your salary garnished as a medicare levy. You are then expected to pay for private health insurance ($1500 a year for a family on average) otherwise they will garnish another 1.5%. This $3000+ odd dollars will cover all your basic medical needs at a reasonably high standard and unless you develop a chronic disease should meet your requirements. Granted your extra fee goes towards Lostpunks idiotic adventures, but I will invite you to a couple of exclusive Businessman clubs when you arrive and we can drink brandy snifters in a mahogany boardroom and laugh at his attempts to "fight da man" :D

Don't mind the crossing of e dick swords between the Sydneyites and Melbourne peeps. Neither city was good enough to be made the capital and they haven't really gotten over it. Melbourne claims to be the "cultural " capital, but that's because for 6 months of the year the weather is so bad you are forced to gather indoors. Sydney considers sitting on public transport for 2 hours a cultural event. Melbourne would like to claim this because of their trams but you are really lucky if a train actually turns up, on time, with a seat half the time.

Perth seems nice but you really are stuck in the middle of no where with no shops open on a Sunday. Brisbane is chilled, with nice weather and plenty of reasons why I have travelled all around the world and decide to call it my home base. To be honest all the big Australian cities lack a lot of the finesse of the great cities of the world but they are for the most part clean, friendly and extremely safe to raise a family. People will try and play the racism card, and although it is not ranked the number 1 most peaceful country in the world like New Zealand, the majority of the population will accept you as a friend and make your family feel welcome. Just get used to your new friends not recognising you each time because " all asians look the same" ;)

...oh and based on the photos of dishes you've posted in the foodie thread. You may wish to exclude Perth if you're really fussy about your favourite dishes... I've noticed it comes down to the best chefs being in the major capitals (when eating out) and also availability and freshness of raw ingredients (when cooking).

The further away you are from Melb/Syd the harder it is to get those dishes the way you're used to.

Busty said:
Lostpunks idiotic adventures, but I will invite you to a couple of exclusive Businessman clubs when you arrive and we can drink brandy snifters in a mahogany boardroom and laugh at his attempts to "fight da man"

Hey I gave up fighting the man long ago. I only fight fences now.

But feel free to do a good deed towards one battling on the environmental front to preserve our natural heritage by buying me some brandy.

I guess my questions (based on the fact I know you outside of BL) are:
- Would your wife have enough here to keep her happy? Work/friends/raising the kids? It'd be a shame if she was bored and it's a long way from your family.
- Do you want your kids to be raised in a Western culture? There are plusses: they'll learn English from native speakers, and it's a very nice, safe country (mostly), but they might experience some racism that wouldn't be a consideration at home.

But still! Do eeeet! :D

The main reason for migrating to Australia is for the kids future. Better education, better lifestyle, better government. My wife and I know that we will have to start over. Jobs, make new friends, etc. I am going to have to count on you bluelighters to be my friends. ;)

Anyway, my main worry here is my kids growing up western. I have lots of Asian American friends and most of them told me they went through a period of identity/cultural crisis.

^don't worry, a great proportion of australians still go through such a cultural crisis. Where i grew up 99% of us were first gen australians with non english speaking homes. As displaced and lost as we felt, there was plenty of us in the same boat (pun intended).

hotpants is right. shooting uglies and retards being thrown off the coathanger is not only fun and entertaining, but it appeases the viking fireworks gods who bless us with the best NYE fireworks in the world every year.

I'd say go for it mate.

Can only say things about Brisbane and Melbourne having lived in those cities, still not fan of Sydney, Perth would be nice for a holiday but it's a little isolated.

Brisbane really is a big town, friendly people, slowly moving forward.
Melbourne is a great city although I don't know you will like the winters though.

About Melbourne though, I wouldn't bother living there unless you were living close/ish to the city, I don't see the point being in the burbs.

Brisbane has mroe to do with outdoor living.
Half an hour south to the gold coast, an hour north to the sunny coast. we have an hour on the barge or ferry to stradbroke, moreton & fraser island. Gold & sunshine coast rainforest hinterlandswithin an hour or so drive.

Health care and schooling is great.
If you want a job, I've always been of the belief that you will get one.

Just make the move, you'll love it.

Brisbane sounds ideal! I might move there and get settled down first then bring the family there after a year.

They're generally borderline retarded. Especially the ones from Melbourne.
AHEM.
Hey UAN, are you coming to my drinks in Newtown? YES OF COURSE YOU ARE, LET'S MOVE ALONG TO THE NEXT SUBJECT NOW. :D

fengtau, you should TOTALLY COME MOVE TO AUSTRALIA!!!! :D:D:D:D

re: healthcare system, I would advise you to check medicare's information kit for immigrants: our public healthcare system is quite good, but there are some things it doesn't cover generally speaking (most dental work for example), and I'm not sure off the top of my head how you would be covered by medicare as a new arrival to the country because it depends on what type of visa you have, whether your country has a reciprocal agreement with Australia, etc etc...

Melbourne, Sydney and Perth all have their individual differences but are all awesome cities for various reasons; it really depends on what sort of lifestyle you're looking for and such....

I went to Brisbane for three weeks in the middle of Winter and the weather was awesome while I was there, but I was told that it gets really unbearably hot in Summer, and Queenslanders are crazier than a bat on acid. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing... ;)

In closing, I think you should move. Case closed. :D