CAN CELL PHONES BE TAPPED?

phatdenny

Bluelighter
Just wondering if it is possible to tap cell phones and how easy is it the cops to do this?
den

yes it can be done, but how they do it, i have no clue. i would think they would have to get a warrant or something like that. look it up on the net.
------------------
"Hate not fear, but fear hate!"

Law enforcement DOSE NOT need a warrant to listen to your cell phone conversation-
actually- listening to cell phone conversations is pretty easy- all it takes is a high freq. raido and a few modifacations. ---
anybody can be listening to your cell phone conversation- use these thing safely people!
BTY- any PHONE PHREAKS on the board?
------------------
phish2000/w33k4p4u9

Thats not 100% true.
If you are using a digital cellphone network. Then its all encrypted 1s and 0s which you can't pick up on a scanner.
The police would be abe to get a warrant to tap your phone on either network.
In the UK if you want a cellphone for dodgy stuff. You can walk into a supermarket and buy a phone. You don't have to give your name and address or sign up for a contract, so know one knows who the phone belongs to. You can buy phone credit vouchers in cash from most shops to pay for your calls.
My dealer has about three of these phones. When the police stop him and take down his number he throws it in the bin and buys a new one
smile.gif

Jase.

yeah analogue networks such as most of americas are a piece of piss to listen in on.
as jase says digi networks such as GSM (oz, europe,japan) are a whole nother ball game due to the nature of their packet exchanging....
BUT
and this is where it gets scary. i know for a fact that the introduction of GSM was delayed in OZ by at least twelve months while law enforcement agencies satisified themselves they could easily monitor calls.
this is done, rumour has it, at a very high level ie within the phone company infrastructure. this is hardcore stuff so its only done with very bad boys an its still not admissable evidence but it is still possible.
this works hand in hand with the scanning software that can pick key words out telephone convos. this stuff can scan hundreds of call simultaneously, but consider how many tens of thousands of phones are used in the cbd at every moment.... mind you the tech is probably scalable...
most people that get done in by their fone use get caught out but the numbers they have called and how often etc, stuff you can get of a phone bill, which is very admissable.
always talk in code and use a no name/no bill phone where possible.
...waves you phreakk flag high!
wink.gif

------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 30 January 2000).]

Oh and something else to add to the paranoia.
I know that UK cellphone networks keep records of what cells your phone has been in for up to two years.
This means that they know where you have been to within 9km, sometimes closer if you are in a well covered area and are within range of several transmitters.
Also...
I have worked with some people who work with one of the Scandinavian phone manufacturers..
Not naming names but, some of the new digital cell phones by this manufacturer can be remotely activated to listen in on conversations. So the phone in the pocket could be activated to listen in on what you are saying to the guy next to you!!!
These phones also live in a permanent standby mode so they can be activated even when they appear to be switched off, the only guarantee is to have your battery taken out...
I doubt that they will be enabled in this manner except for real exceptional cases, but its scary big brother stuff and I feel technology is going to be used in this manner in even greater ways...
Jase

thats why i stick to yelling.... if your gona listen your gonna listen, if not shut your ears
------------------
"whatever it is i think i
see, becomes a tootsie
roll to me"

We lost another good post here from SpecialNNY.
The jist of it is:
==
He has worked for the Israeli army, and cell phones are banned in restricted/classified type areas, because they can be activated in this way. Analogue and Digitial Phones!!
He also told a story about how 4 soldiers where shot in a lebonese ambush, all because one soldier phoned his mother to say he couldn't come home that weekend because he was going to lebanon.
==
Who says E effects Memory?
Jase.

SpecialKNY also said to stick to pagers or prepay phones for the dodgy stuff.
Pagers are good because they only receive and can't give your location away.
Jase

thanx jase , i was wondering what happend - i just thought i was still stoned from last night and that i forgot to click submit
smile.gif

just a technical point - unlike beeper where once a message is given then they send it to hem - a phone in stndby mode sends a periodic beep to find the closest station - that means that as long as the phone is on - even when not being used it can be tracked down
smile.gif

and besides you got to love those codes on beepers - i personally have to dile 19782 to get a call back - even from my home number - go figure dealers and their paranoias
smile.gif

------------------
Plur Now and Forever - SpecialK
"If at first the idea isn't absurd, then there is no hope for it". -Albert Einstein