• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Least Harmful to Most Harmful Drugs

THC - very safe and not very taxing
*-***-DMT/various other tryps - see above
LSD - see above
GHB - see above lol, turns into CO2 and H2O in vivo
Salvia - relatively safe
Nitrous Oxide - see above
Nicotine - not carcinogenic (unlike tobacco)
Amphetamine - minor body effects
Oxy/Hydrocodone - see above
Oxy/Hydromorphone - see above
Ketamine - see above
MDMA - suspected neurotoxicity
Cocaine HCl - fairly damaging
Heroin - see above
Meth - see above
Crack - see above
Alcohol - see above

Not complete, but w/e

how bad is coke if you only snort it and don't go on long binges?

Mentally:

Nicotine - Very psychoactively benign
Sedatives (such as Benzos) - No long term mental damage or disruption
Opiates - See above
MDMA & Analogues - Fairly safe but depression and such can be hard
Cannabis - More mentally dangerous than some expect but some people are fine
Hallucinogens - Some will be fine but extremely psychoactive and can trigger mental conditions, as with Cannabis
Alcohol - Excessive use takes over a personality, causes depression
Cocaine - As with Alcohol, takes over personality, causes depression, paranoia, psychosis
Amphetamines - As with Cocaine, but seen personally as more server

Physically:

Hallucinogens - Very physically safe, other than putting self in dangerous positions
Sedatives - See above
Opiates - See above, but add the hygiene aspects
MDMA - Mostly safe, but overheating, pressure on heart can harm some more than others
Cannabis - Carcinogens inhaled unless taken in other ROAs or Vaporized
Cocaine - Pressure on heart, lung diseases in Crack form, nasal septum degradation
Nicotine - Lots of Carcinogens
Amphetamines - See Cocaine
Alcohol - Liver damage, brain damage, stomach damage, various cancer forms, Impaired judgment and balance

Addiction:
Hallucinogens
Cannabis
MDMA
Amphetamines
Cocaine
Sedatives
Opiates
Alcohol
Nicotine

Could be very wrong ofcourse.

Meh BBC came up with a report in 2004 about this exactly, it listed 20 of the common abused substances in the UK (Some of it is inacurate thought.) If i find this thread somewhere on my computer's internet history, il link it up ASAP.

The beeb showed this a couple of years ago, on their Horizon programme. 'top 20 most dangerous drugs'..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1Ngu0x2XA

^Worth watching

putting together the mental and physical dangers of the most well known drugs i would rate them like this
(from least bad to worst)

MDMA
Cannabis
LSD/2Cx
Ketamine
Alcohol
Cigarettes
Cocaine
Heroin
Methamphetamine

but there are so many factors that come into action its nearly impossible to do a general classification

MDMA
Cannabis

What.

And for myself, it's a hard thing to do without going into greater depth or shooting into endless spirals of hypotheticals, so I'll try list them as I see them, based on their current impact on the majority of their users and society as a whole. Think of it as a listing in order of 'if this chemical were to cease to exist, how much of a positive impact would that have on society and it's users?'

If you start going into hypotheticals, then it's an impossible task, somebody who uses meth once a month for a day or two is probably going to be healthier than someone who snorts K day and night until they end up on dialysis, there are just too many different scenario's that mix it up depending on how the chemical is used.

Marijuana
LSD/Shrooms/2c's
Ketamine
GHB
Tranquilizers
MDMA
Cocaine
Alcohol
Heroin
Meth
Inhalents

Drugs/products that are detrimental to one's health

1. Alcohol... Historically, I believe it has led to more deaths than any other drug combined.

2. Cigarettes (kills a lot of good folks too...cancer's a bitch)

3. Inhalants (*not talking about N2O*...specifically huffing gases, inhaling aerosols, etc.)...to those that do abuse it; well brain damage can crop up.

4. Methamphetamine...'Why is it not higher up on the list?' Well the first two are there because of the sheer amount of people that die as a result of using said product. The next is ranked third as it is more dangerous per individual use than Meth (IMO of course).

Generally harmless drugs

1. Marijuana (it is well tolerated by a vast amount of people)

2. Opiates (the ones w/o apap or any additive)...before you scorn me, I list opiates in this section with the expectation that the opioid is used responsibly by the user. As leftwing said concerning heroin, it "is benign to the body." Also, I happen to be quite partial to this godsend.

Ugh I'm bored...ya'll know the rest.

You can't list alcohol based on the fact that when abused, and because of it's high popularity, it kills a lot of people, despite the millions who use it safely, yet simultaneously discount that and list opiates as 'generally harmless,' ignoring the thousands who have their lives torn apart by opiate addiction. Double standard much? You can't judge one on a best case scenario and one on a worst case scenario and put them side by side.

that's just me trying to convince myself that my opiate addiction is harmless :)

This list is put together in order of which drug does the least harm when used on a daily basis

Caffeine
Cannabis
GHB
Nicotine
Nitrous
Hydrocodone
Amphetamine
Ketamine
Oxycodone
MDMA
Cocaine HCl
Heroin
Meth
Cocaine HCl (IV)
Alcohol

I don't think most pyschs should be included in these lists because they are relatively harmless when used appropriately

it's funny heroin's all taboo... you know honestly it's not that physically harmful... cocaine and alcohol do more damage easily... now the social side effects of being a junkie isn't desireable... but that goes with cocaine, crack, meth etc... cocaine is like the rock star drug... and heroin's seen as BAD... imo it's just people put off by needles.

what's so bad specifically about snorting cocaine occasionally? does it really cause so much damage that even light use is significantly harmful? does anyone have any specifics on this?

I'll toss in my opinion, but only on the stuff I have experience with. Also I am not a doctor and don't know anything about the health concerns other than what i read.. So i'm going to go off of addiction and dangers while on the drug.

Caffeine - Doesn't seem dangerous, maybe addictive to some people.

Marijuana - I smoke it, so i assume its worse for me than a cup of tea.. could be wrong though, im not a doc.

LSD - Don't really have much to say about this one. Doesnt seem addictive to me, I guess it could be addictive as far as the fun factor goes. If someone tried to drive or something it could prove dangerous.

DXM - I love the dextroverse more than anything else in the world. This can be a scary addictive drug for some people. This can tear someone up too. I've made so many stupid phone calls i regret while on DXM

Nicotine - ADDICTION, it's not very dangerous as far as behavior goes, but I believe its a slow killer.

Oxy - Was addicted once upon a time, this seems to be a very addictive monster for me. Completely legal and easy to get for me, but when I didn't have it life was not fun at all. Granted the worst time of my life was happening while i was trying to quit. I'm not sure if thoughts of suicide came from quitting oxy, being depressed about life in general, or both.

Alcohol - This is easily the most dangerous drug IMO... It is easy to get, easy to overdose on, easy to do dumb shit on, socially acceptable, bad for your body, bad for your mind, and fun as hell.

Cannabis should rank quite highly IMO as the negative mental effects can be as devestating as methamphetamine abuse.

I feel I have a right to say this as my aunty died quite recently from lung cancer after living her entire life as a paranoid schizophrenic. She smoked many many ciggarettes a day and also cannabis.

She is dead at 54.

^sorry about your aunt, but i doubt her condition was the result of marijuana use. Probably didn't help though. And, sure, you can say that the negative mental effects of marijuana are as bad as a proven neurotoxin that commonly causes psychosis, but you'd just be saying things.

Cannabis should rank quite highly IMO as the negative mental effects can be as devestating as methamphetamine abuse.

I feel I have a right to say this as my aunty died quite recently from lung cancer after living her entire life as a paranoid schizophrenic. She smoked many many ciggarettes a day and also cannabis.

She is dead at 54.

Yea. I also really do see Cannabis as a much more mentally dangerous substance than is widely and commonly assumed. People are obviously entitled to think what they want and some people don't see it as harmful in any way whatsoever. I find that view a little bit naive personally.
Sure, it's far from being the most dangerous substance known to man, but it's not Orange juice either.

People susceptible to mental illness are greatly at risk of exacerbating or causing things to go wrong. The higher the % of THC, the lower the % of CBD. CBD is responsible for the Antipsychotic effects of weed (essentially battling against the psychosis-causing abilities of THC).