• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin and Menstrual Cycle

what the heck...

I have NOT stopped my period all month. It isn't heavy though. Last month was terribly heavy.

I use stims occasionally and weed regularly. I am old enough (52) to be in menopause.

Instead, I am completely pwned by my own fkkn blood.

I am going to the doctor next week. I'm not saying anything about substances obviously.

I don't know if my condition is brought about my recreational drug use or not.

I haven't found answers online so far.

Yeah, for sure. If you can dig up the research, I'd love to see it.
I am going out of the country tomorrow for a 2-3 weeks, so I may not be able to find anything before I leave. But it's interesting to me as I have endocrine system problems (haven't used heroin in years, tapering down on MMT on very low dose, they've gotten much worse over the past few years and the lower my dose gets) and it would be nice to know whether they're likely to last for the rest of my life. I am pretty sure I saw some relevant research found by Google Scholar. I am constantly reading shit from all over the place and unfortunately I didn't bookmark anything about this particular topic.

EDIT: I quickly found a page from the Methadone manufacturers which mentions a significant increase in pituitary adenomas in mice given lower doses of methadone. That page doesn't specifically mention this, but once you have a pituitary tumor they don't go away. Therefore, that would be a permanent effect of opioids.
http://www.paladinlabs.com/our_products/metadol.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_adenoma

what the heck...

I have NOT stopped my period all month. It isn't heavy though. Last month was terribly heavy.

I use stims occasionally and weed regularly. I am old enough (52) to be in menopause.

Instead, I am completely pwned by my own fkkn blood.

I am going to the doctor next week. I'm not saying anything about substances obviously.

I don't know if my condition is brought about my recreational drug use or not.

I haven't found answers online so far.

Are you on birth-control pills or any form of birth-control? This is really common with b-c pills or Depo-Provera. It can definitely also happen on it's own, in people who don't use drugs at all. I doubt bringing up your drug use would help your treatment at all. The Dr would probably just suggest you stop taking drugs and see whether it gets better. But there's plenty of potential disadvantages from telling a Dr about drug use as well, as I'm sure you know.

I've never heard of weed causing this type of problem, but the stimulants possibly could I suppose.

Last edited:
I was looking for this kind of information when I was using, because my period stopped randomly because of dope.
I was smoking dope for a full year, and my period was regular. I began to IV dope, and within just TWO months, my monthly cycle just stopped. It freaked me out because I couldn't figure it out at first. I took a pregnancy test, and it was negative. My boyfriend mentioned that it was probably from my dope usage. I remember thinking "no, that wouldn't happen to ME".

This lack-of-period thing went on and on until EXACTLY one week after quitting. I quit dope and immediately got on Suboxone, and within seven days I got my monthly cycle back. I've never been so happy to bleed before!

I am going out of the country tomorrow for a 2-3 weeks, so I may not be able to find anything before I leave. But it's interesting to me as I have endocrine system problems (haven't used heroin in years, tapering down on MMT on very low dose, they've gotten much worse over the past few years and the lower my dose gets) and it would be nice to know whether they're likely to last for the rest of my life. I am pretty sure I saw some relevant research found by Google Scholar. I am constantly reading shit from all over the place and unfortunately I didn't bookmark anything about this particular topic.

EDIT: I quickly found a page from the Methadone manufacturers which mentions a significant increase in pituitary adenomas in mice given lower doses of methadone. That page doesn't specifically mention this, but once you have a pituitary tumor they don't go away. Therefore, that would be a permanent effect of opioids.
http://www.paladinlabs.com/our_products/metadol.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_adenoma

It looks to me like they're suggesting the opposite, that there may have been something else going on, as the mice consuming 15 mg of methadone a day were more likely to develop pituitary adenomas and yet the mice consuming 60 mg of methadone a day were not; in other words, researchers could not replicate the results in a group of mice consuming even more methadone than the first group. It goes on to say that in a two-year study, neoplasms were not found in Fischer 344 rats either, rats consuming anywhere from 28 mg of methadone a day to 88 mg a day.

If they can't replicate the results, then there's no decisive link between the two, really; and so I'm still not convinced that dosing opiates, even regularly, leads to a permanently-suppressed endocrine system.

But thank you for finding this article, and I'm impressed that you went ahead and did the leg-work. Let me know what else you find.

I have been using for 3 months now
and re start my cycle 2-3x a month now
NO rhyme or reason....
.....Anybody?

I have also recently quit the use of heroin. I did not use it intraveniously, just smoked it. I had an iud for the last five years, and my periods slowly deminished over the course of a year (which is completely normal when using an iu d for birth control), before i had ever used opiates. I used hydrocodone (roxys) for a year and a half before switching to heroin two years ago. I quit using heroin five months ago, cold turkey, all on my own (i thought about subs or dones, but was just so sick of having to have that one thing every single day just to be normal) and it was the greatest, most important decision i have ever made. It was also the hardest thing i have ever done, but whqt is ten days of hell compared to a life of suffering? Anyways, i did not have a period the whole time.. not even slight spotting. I had a very light period about three weeks ago that lasted for only one day. Then i started a normal period yesterday and am having the worst cramping i have ever experienced! It is not horribly unhealthy to not have periods, and it will not affect being able to reproduce later (but the heroin might). The absence of a period means that the body is not releasing its monthly egg to either be fertilized or exit from the body, aka a period. That is my five cents on the subject. And fyi.... if anyone out there is wanting to quit using and get there life back, i will do anything i can to help. Reply to this post and i will msg my email and will answer any questions and give any advice i can. And above all, i will listen. Everybody in the world gave up on me, and i will do amything i can to prevent another human being from feeling that way. And my fairy tale love story ended in happily ever after. My boyfriend (now fiance!) Started and stopped together. After five months of being clean, we are stronger and closer than we have ever been. If you have the strength to truly over come heroin..... you have the ability to do anything.

I am an opiate addict as well...and my period is just a couple of weeks late. when i did heroin my period seemed a lot less affected as it is now that i am doing oxycodone. While it may freak you out to miss your period, I do not see this as any more dangerous to your health than taking crazy amounts of hormones in birth control pills to stop your period. There are approved as safe birth control pills that completely stop your period, or make it only 3 times a year. if that is safe than i dont see a problem in missing your period or having it be irregular. it is obvious opiates just mess with your reproductive system, but i HIGHLY doubt it does any permanent damage. Heroin especially is a very gentle drug on your organs (not talking about fucking yourself up from injections, etc.). When i quit heroin my period returns to normal in a month. for me personally i dont see a huge lowering of my sex drive, but maybe a little. i feel overall normal and not like my hormones are out of whack in a way that affects my mood. when i take birth control pills i feel like shit..obviously not the case with opiates. I also agree with it stopping or being late due to the way you eat. i have a horrible appetite and dont eat nearly enough iron. this can stop your period. i recommend that if you cant eat a lot while using that you take vitamins. I take a multivitamin and an omega fish oil vitamin.

im sure if opiates could cause permanent infertility that it would be fairly well documented. there have been opiate addicts for a long time...they'd of figured that out by now.

I didnt have a period for the duration of my use and i was malnourished and looked like death, so i didnt get checked out or mention it to a Dr.....It happens to all heavy female users....You CAN still get preggers while not menstruaiting , so use precautions my friend...

i posted on here a couple months ago stating that my period had been absent for about 6-8 months while i was doing oxycodone everyday. well, i have been 60 days clean now. & sure enough, my period returned. almost exactly 2 months after i stopped using completely.

i posted on here a couple months ago stating that my period had been absent for about 6-8 months while i was doing oxycodone everyday. well, i have been 60 days clean now. & sure enough, my period returned. almost exactly 2 months after i stopped using completely.

Hey, congratulations on quitting! I know how it feels to go through something like your situation; I was an IV heroin user for 2 years..my first year I did NOT use every day. Hoever, the entire second year, I was using every single day, many times a day. My period magically vanished within three months of daily use. I was so scared..but I continues to bang the dope.

I got clean in December (yay, almost 90 days ago!) and literally within THREE days, my period returned! I was so happy because I finally felt healthy again. I knew I was on the right track because my body started to function correctly again!

Been a user for about 4-5 years now with one year sober and once I started doing it again after that it's been about a year now and NO period at all. I am pretty unhealthy though, barely eat but once a day. Usually. Definitely not prego. Anyway after a year I finally decided to look it up and here I found this! Pretty much the answers are right here in my face. Heroine+malnutrition=no period. I'm not complaining though :)

I have been using H regularly and I have stopped a few times as well. I eat MORE on H like I have gained 20 lbs.. But I too have and always stop menstruating while on H. Been around 6 months now no period. NOT preggers either. Not having sex. I have been curious about if the H alters the hormone levels. I am certain it does. I have been on Suboxone before for 9 months, and still had my period.

Congrats on getting clean. Curious how you feel. Energy back? How long before you started to feel normal. How did you quit? Again CONGRATS on being CLEAN & Healthy

Even codeine and tramadol mess with my periods. Must bevtbe affect on hormones as someone else sugested

It happened to me when I was taking oxys real heavy and lost a bunch of weight. I would go to the pain doctor and he said my weight was normal for my height. (better than being overweight) So after a year, my ob/gyn assumed I was pre-menopausal and put me on estrogen patches. When I went to rehab, the period came back and the doctor made me take the patch off right away. I don't miss the opiates much, but wish I could be thin again! :(

Opiates wreak havoc on the endocrine system in both males and females. Males as we can all relate to having absolutely no sex drive after becoming dependent upon opiates. For females they stop having their periods, this is extremely common. I know the sex drive comes back after cessation of use, hopefully so does a woman's period.

Unless you have lost a notable amount of weight in a small period of time the likelihood of malnutrition causing you to lose your period is low. Heroin effects your pituitary glad, the gland in charge of male and female hormones (estrogen, progesterone and testosteroneit) that regulate your menstrual cycle. This is what causes a lack of a period. Even with light use it is possible to lose your period. I only used for a month, less than a dub (0.25 grams) a day and I lost my period for 3 months. It can take several months to regain normal menstrual activity after you quit. Generally the longer you are without a period the longer it can take for it to return to normal.

SO far it seems no one can explain medically why it happens. But it seems to mess with a lot of female's menstrual cycles. It messed with my sister's supposedly, yet she's prego now even though she was using. So who knows. lol.
I wish I had money to pick up right now :/ fuck this shit.

I am really glad that I found this thread because I now know that I'm not the only one going through this. I am NOT a doctor, but I will be one day.. so far, I have a degree in both health sciences and psychology and its funny- I learned about drugs and the effects they have on the body, both male and female, almost every semester and I never thought it would happen to me. I have been using for slightly over a year now and my menstrual cycle just completely stopped about 3 months ago. At first, I was FREAKING OUT. I thought for sure I was pregnant because my boyfriend and I constantly have unprotected sex. I had to have taken 30 pregnancy tests throughout the first 2 months. I would buy a pack of two almost every day just to put my mind at ease by seeing the negative symbol on each test. I even went to the doctor a few weeks ago for a blood test (not sure why it took me 3 months to do that but whatever).

Then.. I thought back to what I've learned in school. Opioids, especially dope, don't just fuck with the dopamine and seratonin in your brain.. They fuck with every chemical process in your body. (And by "fuck with" i pretty much mean "slow down") Which obviously includes the hormonal chemistry in both men and women. Women just have more physical symptoms because they are the ones that have the most physically visible hormonal processes of both sexes. Dope suppresses the estrogen and progesterone being made in your body. So, if you aren't getting enough estrogen and progesterone, your brain isn't going to be able to tell your body to menstruate every month. Since it isn't completely stopping the hormones from being manufactured in the brain, just slowing them down, you might get your period every so often, but go without having it for months. In my case, I haven't gotten it for 3 months straight. I keep hoping that this month will be the month that it happens.

Although this isn't the healthiest thing to have happen to you, the good news is, when you stop doing the drugs, you'll start getting your period again! And you are most likely not pregnant, that's good news as well lol. Also, you will probably still be able to get pregnant in the future (after quitting dope, of course) but it may be slightly harder for you than for someone who has been drug free their whole lives because, even after quitting and building up your estrogen/progesterone levels again, your levels will still not be as high as they were before you started doing dope. So if you've decided to quit, and you're trying for a baby, just keep trying.. And maybe try a little harder [which isn't much of a terrible thing to do in my opinion ;) ]

So, don't worry! Even though we've all gotten ourselves into a mess that scared the shit out of us at first, your period is not gone forever, and there is still a chance we all can get pregnant once we are back to our normal, healthy, drug free selves again!

I hope this helps with your questions as to what is going on in your body because of your drug use. Like I said, I am not doctor (yet) but this stuff is factual and after freaking out as much as I have over the past few months I would love to know that I was able put the minds of other people in the same position as me at ease!