• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

psychology professions?

mrs_mia_wallace

Bluelighter
So I've decided in the past six months I want to change my career path from being a uhm :| gymnastics instructor to something in the psychology field.

This is not what I REALLY want to do, but writing does make money. And I'm beginning to tire of teaching gymnastics and have realized I want to do something more intellectually stimulating and challenging. So this is a day job of sorts, meaning I don't want a PhD (am prepared to do a Masters) or a job that's going to require me to give up my weekends and evenings. I just want to do something that will involve therapy/counseling. I would prefer to work in an institutional setting, and specialize in a mental disorder(not sure which one yet).

Anybody got advice for what I should look into? My university counselors have no been very helpful.

Also, grad school... I have a very odd transcript that's going to raise a lot of red flags. I've gotten good grades in my classes I've just been going at a snail's pace so it's taking me a bit longer to finish because I work full time and pay for my education. I've also had to drop some classes (have some Ws) because of entering treatment/rehab. How bad am I going to look to grad schools?

Also, grad school... I have a very odd transcript that's going to raise a lot of red flags. I've gotten good grades in my classes I've just been going at a snail's pace so it's taking me a bit longer to finish because I work full time and pay for my education. I've also had to drop some classes (have some Ws) because of entering treatment/rehab. How bad am I going to look to grad schools?

I don't know a lot about psychology or jobs in the field (aside from what seems like it would sound obvious), but I could point you in the direction of a BLer or two who would know more.

How bad (or good) you will look is difficult to answer. In the end, it comes down to where you're applying, as all schools tend to weigh different things a bit differently. Remember, grades are just one side of you as a prospective student.

Psycholgy IS one of the areas that there is a subject GRE test over, so I honestly think that taking this test (along with the general GRE) and doing as well as you can on it is realistically the best way you can increase your overall chances, given your current situation. You may or may not know this, but pretty much any grad school (for masters or phd) will want to see general GRE scores. Some really good schools will require you to submit subject GRE test scores as well if you're applying for a relivant program, but most leave it as optional. Here is some information on the GRE test in Psychology:

http://www.kaptest.com/Psychology/GRE-Psychology/gre-psychology-home.html

Scoring well on this test would show that you know your stuff, despite possibly having some WDs on your record. It would make it more believable you have them becuase of extraneous circumstances, instead of trying to avoid failure.

Also, the fact that you are just going for a Master's will work in your favor, as they're less strict than PhD for acceptence. Also, it's easier to do Master's Degrees part-time at a lot of Universities (assuming you'd want to keep working full-time).

Hope this helps a bit.

You may want to look at a PhD for psych. I've heard from some of my fellow psych students that getting a Bachelors gets you nowhere in psych and neither does a masters. It's the same with biology/chemistry. My professor told me that students should commit to a doctorate or PhD because the sciences, even psych, doesn't get you far with only a bachelors/masters.

He even put me in touch with a girl with a master's in my program who is only an academic counselor. :\

^ A research Master's Degree often will carry a lot more weight than a coursework one (or a hybrid, where you do take courses, but must take-on a substantial thesis project). One of the plagues of modern education is the increasing ease of obtaining Master's Degrees, which minimize the research/thesis component, thus giving the degree a stigma in a way.

So ya, really look into research-itensive Master's programs. Especially since you CAN do original research in your thesis, which if done well can be compared to someone's PhD thesis.

If the OP wants to do her grad work part-time, then extending a Master's to a PhD means like an additional 5-6 years. I mean if she's okay with that, all the merrier, but I don't think I could be involved with education (student side) for that long without completely going looney.

I've heard from some of my fellow psych students that getting a Bachelors gets you nowhere in psych and neither does a masters. It's the same with biology/chemistry.

One thing that I think a lot of people miss/overlook is that especially under current economic conditions, a lot of applied scientific (hard or soft) fields will hire a balance of PhDs and Master's people from a strategic profit. People with PhDs, in general, expect higher salaries when they first jump into the industry, so companies will often weigh the maturity of the PhD candidate against the ambition and performance of someone with a lesser degree but also strong research and ambition.

I know a lot of therapists with their own practices that have just a Masters, but it does greatly cut your salary for sure. And from what I've heard it's difficult to get a job working in a hospital/treatment center if you don't have the PhD?

However, from what I've researched/discussed with my own therapist having the PhD is more useful if you want to go into research than actual therapy... He suggested I look into PhD programs however.

ilust-- I've heard mixed things on the Psy.D option, that it still isn't recognized as completely legit in the psychiatric community since it's such a new degree?

My parents are super excited about this change of heart (my father almost jumped through the roof I think) and have been telling me to go for the PhD since yes it's a longer and more extensive program, but in the long run I'll regret it if I don't do it because of the limits job wise and salary cuts..

The PhD option just feels very overwhelming to me right now, the years of school and difficulty of the classes, then the residencies and whatnot. I never thought I was going to go to college (thought I was going to be a professional dancer/gymnast before I fucked that up) and I have a very difficult time with certain areas of academics (tests to be exact). I have ADHD, Dyscalculia, and severe anxiety with some OCD tendencies. While not an excuse (and my poor study habits come into play) I don't do well on tests, quizzes, or anything involving numbers (statistics was immensely hard for me). Standarized tests are a complete nightmare for me. I know if I got help and put a lot of time towards studying for it I could probably do decent, but I just don't have much confidence in myself in that area and logisitically with the Dyscalculia math sections are a 10 on the difficult scale. So I don't know if that's going to help my application. :(

Where I would apply, not sure. I don't really want to stay in CA in the long term so I feel like it would be better for me to pick a university in the East coast or the UK (though that brings up a whole other list of complications and questions) depending on where I decide I want to live. But cost is my big issue, I don't feel like I could do a PhD program working the hours I do now (Masters, not sure). So the UC system appeals to me because it's cheap and we have good schools. But I just don't want to stay here, and their application process puts a pretty heavy emphasis on tests scores and GPA numbers, not really the applicant as a person.

I'm just confused right now. I have some time before I apply but talking to my parents has freaked me out. I don't want to not do the PhD program because I'm too scared/psyching myself out over it and regret it ten years later, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure or a much more difficult path that isn't going to pay off in the end.

I'm not sure how it differs in the US, but in Australia a (coursework) masters in psych allows you to practice, while a PhD is just a research degree that won't actually get you registered. So if you want a research qualification it makes more sense to get a PhD rather than a research masters, but if you want to practice you have to do clinical training - which isn't part of a straight PhD. Not sure how relevant that is to you, but it would be a good idea to make sure you know exactly what path the higher degree you choose is taking you down. :)

This is not what I REALLY want to do, but writing does make money. And I'm beginning to tire of teaching gymnastics and have realized I want to do something more intellectually stimulating and challenging. So this is a day job of sorts, meaning I don't want a PhD (am prepared to do a Masters) or a job that's going to require me to give up my weekends and evenings. I just want to do something that will involve therapy/counseling. I would prefer to work in an institutional setting, and specialize in a mental disorder(not sure which one yet).

If you replace 'writing' with 'painting', this is EXACTLY what I was saying 7 years ago. I went into psych because I wanted an interesting job that I could do part time, that wasn't so all-consuming that I couldn't focus on art. Seven years later I'm still at uni, with another year and a half to go on my PhD, and I haven't even done the masters - so if I want to practice (which I do), I've got another two years to go after I graduate. I love it, so it's not a problem, but becoming a psychologist takes a long time and a hell of a lot of work, for a job that will never early you all that much money. I'd be certain that it's what you want to do before you commit to it. Particularly if you do decide you want to go into research, because a PhD is frustrating and all-consuming and will drive you nuts even if you do really enjoy what you study!

Is there a difference in length between a Psy.D and a PhD program?

sushi- how is the painting going? Do you find you're painting more or less now?

I'm not painting at all, and I haven't been for a couple of years. A lot of this has to do with not having a studio - I still draw occasionally, it's just hard to find the space to actually paint properly (particularly given I've been living in carpeted rental properties for ages and really don't want to destroy the floors!). Overall though going back to uni has taken up ALL my time and there's not a lot left to be artistic. I'm getting into photography at the moment as it gives me a creative outlet that I can practice at pretty much any time, without too much time or effort.

I'll get back into it at some point, but I figure if my heart isn't in it at the moment there's not much point forcing it. :\

I wouldn't stress college. Once you get the hang of it, it's really enjoyable. I don't know much about psych majors, but I'm just passing along the info from psych students who have taken some of the same courses.

School is stressful though. It's especially rough if you decide to work also. I think, to be successful, one of them has to give. You need to decide which is more important. However, if you only decide to get a bachelors (which I do not recommend for any science major who really wants to use the degree), you have little stress. Honestly, you can do 0 work and get C's. If all you want is a bachelors degree, then it's not a lot of stress. The stress comes when you really want to practice/research.

Psy. D. programs are generally the way you want to go for clinical work (i.e. if you want to be a clinical psychologist). A Ph.D. is more useful if you want more of a research background or you want to work in academia (teaching).

I am a psychology major and I'm going for my masters to become an LPC. I toyed with the idea of getting a Ph.D.\Psy D. for awhile too, but it does sound like a lot of work :| My advice to you, which is what my advisor told me, is that if you are unsure go for the masters. That way, if you end up deciding to continue and persue a higher degree, you will be able to, but if you are burnt out and want to stop, you will still have options. If you go straight for the Ph.D. and decide to quit in 3 years, you are left with nothing.

And I can see why you are concerned about your transcript... that is a legitamate fear. I have been told by one of my psyc professors that generally withdrawals in non-psych related classes are not frowned upon that badly by admissions to masters programs. I actually withdrew from a bio class last semester. Generally 1 or 2 is not a big deal. And someone mentioned about the GRE- if you do well on that, and pull up your overall GPA, then you'll probably be fine :)

I actually have 2 GREAT articles to give you all about applying to grad school for the psychology major. One of them is a bit lengthy, but they have really useful information for knowing the best tips for increasing your chances of admission.

These are really, really useful, I promise!
My advisor had me read both of these articles.

http://www.psychology.sbc.edu/newpage7.htm

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...+application+process&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I am lucky that my school offered us a 1 credit psyc class COMPLETELY dedicated to teaching us about graduate school and\or applying for jobs with a psych background. It really prepares you for what to expect beyond a bacholers. See if your college\university offers this course! It's an easy A and is sooo helpful.

Best of luck Mia! I have found psych to be such an intersting and fulfilling major. I love it! I still have 2 more years of undergrad and then graduate school, but I'm loving it. Totally worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the articles :) I will take a look at them.

My mom suggested to me that I look into nursing, my father did not like that suggestions at all... it's really weird to have my parents actually want to be invovled in my career choice, for so long all I've gotten is "you're fucking up your life! we don't want to be a part of it."

My dad has offered to pay for any school beyond my bachelors 100% but there are so many strings attached to my father paying for things I'm very hesitant to take him up on this offer. But it would certainly make my life unbelievable easier.

Do credits for a masters count towards your PhD? For some reason I was under the impression the programs are separate and you'd have to start the PhD program from the start if you only went for your masters?

I'm not sure how many Ws I have but it's more than 5. A lot of them are supposed to be erased from my transcript due to "medical leave" but as of now they're still on there. I have to get another letter and call x to get an apppointment with x and blah blah. I hate how state universities are run, everything is such a long drawn out process. But like I said my transcript is just going to be weird... I have a 3.8 GPA (not including the class I failed this semester that, thank god, they're letting me retake.(

I'm offically going to drop my business major in the fall and I'll have psych credits that I can declare it... from what I've heard I'll get more attention from the counselors once it's actually declared as my major.

sushi- that is my worry. I feel like psychology professions are so intensive and draining I don't know if I would completely lose my drive and energy to be creative when I got home from the day or week. :(

Maybe its different in VA than CA, but I have always been under the impression that the courses you take in a masters program will transfer for persuing a doctrate. What my advisor told me is that if the programs don't match up (for example, if I got my masters in counseling and then decided to go for a Ph.D in a more research based field) there would extra classes I would need to take before applying for that program. One thing I didn't intially realise is that there is a difference between masters in counseling and a masters in psychology.

And yeah, it sucks to end up changing your mind because ultimately it means it will take longer and you will have most likely had classes that you didn't need PLUS have to take extras- but as I stated earlier, the pay off is that if you end up NOT going for the doctrate, at least you have a masters rather than nothing. I've read that getting a masters in most cases will knock off a year of getting your Ph.D.\Psy D., which isn't great considering you invested two years of time and money.. but at least you'll have a degree to fall back on.

Definently ask these questions to someone at your school though- I don't want to give you false information. It's different depending on where you live, the program, who you ask, etc.