• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drug Dictionary Project

Would you mind changing the tachycardia one slightly? Tachycardia is actually an abnormally fast heartbeat (over 100bpm is the usual cut-off) often perceived as a strong or pounding heartbeat.

Sorry to be fussy but it's quite a specific medical term..

Here's a source

edit: also, a lot of the words are described in a very technical way (see "first pass metabolism") that possibly isn't that well suited to BDD? Could be wrong but if I was new to drugs and had to look in the BDD dictionary I think I'd be pretty baffled by some of the definitions..

edit again: also in the NSAID definition it says APAP/paracetamol is an NSAID - this is wrong, paracetamol is not classes as an NSAID.. NSAIDs are a specific class of drugs with painkilling and anti-inflammatory properties, including aspirin, iboprofen and diclofenac. A source :)

Last edited:
^ good catches.

I edited tachycardia and NSAIDs but I'll leave the issues brought up in your first edit to the BDD staff.

i agree that the definition of first pass is scary.

the point to that definition should be to communicate that the drug hits the liver before the BBB, and how that effects the drug. i know it would be a lot more useful if i typed up a suggested definition, but i cannot get started on that at this moment.

i am just agreeing with effie that these definitions should consider the practical over the technical.

i also think this is a good idea--the concept of a BDD dictionary.

Yes, I love the concept of a BDD dictionary. But we'd have to transfer it to another thread, close it and then sticky it. Then as time goes we add more and more words to it. Though some of the definitions need to be changed a bit. For example, tachycardia should be "abnormally high hear rate", instead of just "high heart rate".

just another bump as we're intending to work on updating this over the coming days and simplifying a few of the definitions to fit a little more effectively within BDD as some parts will be going over the top of some new users in particular.

so if you've anything to add or would like to see put into it then please don't hesitate to post:)

cheers guys. love,

BDD Staff

Addiction: a psychological condition in which one constantly craves a particular drug; characterized by drug seeking behaviors, the rationale that "they can stop whenever they want to," and a continuation of using a particular drug when it's obviously having detrimental effects on the user's physical, social, or emotional health.

Dependence: a physiological response to the constant presence of a particular drug in their bloodstream; physically dependent users will often go into withdrawal and become sick and with particular drugs have really dangerous side effects such as seizures if the drug is stopped abruptly; one can be physically dependent without being psychologically addicted and vice versa.

Withdrawal: a physiological state of being in which a physically dependent drug user (recreational or medicinal) has abruptly stopped the use of a drug or has lowered the dose of their drug too quickly and as a result is experiencing very unpleasant side effects from doing so; symptoms can range from headaches, to abdominal pain, to vomiting, diarrhea, alternating hot and cold sweats, general emotional distress, craving of the drug, and with certain drugs, seizures.

Thanks Doug, that's a good distinction of the 3 things :)

np, I saw that ya'll had withdrawal on the first post, but it wasn't defined so I thought I might put that in there...

Might be worth putting common abbreviations/acronyms too. Like Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid = GABA, Withdrawal = WD, Blood Brain Barrier = BBB etc.

Oh, I meant to add though lol...when you're a chronic pain patient, you get those down pretty well...lmao

Noticed synesthesia was there but it had no definition.

Synesthesia - When one sensory organ is stimulated but it is experienced in another organ, e.g. hearing colours

Couldn't think of another way to explain it so hopefully that's alright.

Also

Upregulation - the process by which a cell decreases the quantity of a cellular component in response to an external variable (opposite of what you said for downregulate)

Here are some more ideas:

Precipitated Withdrawal -

Vertigo-

Extraction -

Onset -

Peak -

Plateau -

Hypertension -

Hypotension -

Restless Leg Syndrom -

Insomnia -

Hydrochloride -

Extra Sensory Perception -

Reduction -

Cannabinoid -

Contraindication -

Therapeutic -

Recreational -

Vaporization -

Qualitative -

Last edited:
Thanks for the bump on this one guys, I'll start getting some of these added, as time allows. I still have my other safer use of opiates project I'm working on too, but all in good time. ;)

Crashing - theres absoluteky nothing stopping you from including the definitions. In fact it would be encouraged so this isnt solely left on the moderators to complete :)

Psilocybin mushrooms - mushrooms that contain psychoactive indole alkaloids. Common colloquial terms include magic mushrooms and shrooms.

PCP - Phencyclidine (a complex clip of the chemical name 1-(1-phenylcyclohexyl)piperidine), commonly initialized as PCP and known colloquially as angel dust, KJ (kristal joint), illy, or wet, is a recreational dissociative drug. Formerly used as an anesthetic agent, PCP exhibits hallucinogenic effects

ketamine - a drug used in human and veterinary medicine, primarily for the induction and maintenance of general anesthesia, usually in combination with a sedative. Other uses include sedation in intensive care, analgesia (particularly in emergency medicine), and treatment of bronchospasm. Ketamine has a wide range of effects in humans, including analgesia, anesthesia, hallucinations, elevated blood pressure, and bronchodilation.[2] Like other drugs of its class, such as tiletamine and phencyclidine (PCP), ketamine induces a state referred to as "dissociative anesthesia"[3] and is used as a recreational drug. Ketamine is effective in treating depression in patients with depression and bipolar disorder who have not responded to antidepressants.[4] It produces a rapid antidepressant effect, acting within two hours as opposed to the several weeks taken by typical antidepressants to work.

THC - a crystalline compound that is the main active ingredient of cannabis. • Chem. formula: C 21 H 30 O 2.

Thanks for those. I'm going to take the time to update this in the next few days and clean it up a bit as a thread. Certain substances listed do not fit BDD more CD or PD. However as this is many users first stop on the forums when they're new, I'll still be happy to add them with the inclusion to the proper forum on bL where discussion for them should take place.

If anyone else has anything to be added get em' in if you can. That way they make the edit. =]

Chasing the ghost : Searching for the mystical dropped or spilled dose that has eluded you until your stash is gone, whereupon you efforts redouble
Chasing the dragon: attempting to capture vapors with a straw hovering above scorched aluminum foil landscape while a fire-breathing dragon blasts random gouts of flame to the underside, invisible to our heroes above, occassionally melting their straw closed unexpectedly or sending plumes of precious vapor off into the night from some unexpected corner
Neddying: Neddy Pot warm water and anything powdered into the very receptive sinus pathways, with a shot of primateen mist first.
Brom_Krampus1.jpg

We have a whole forum called Testing Grounds for these kinds of things :).