• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Loud thoughts/hearing voices from Opiates?

yeah i get this usually as its wearing off and im trying to sleep, weird.

Yes, I have had that.

When it first happened a few years ago it sort of scared me.
Now I just let myself drift off and listen to the words...which sometimes I can hear clearly, other times not so much.

All my opiates ever say to me is "Take me, take me now.". Sometimes I listen, other times I don't.

Yea, I get it too... Whenever I nod at all, I hear my name called by a woman as lucid as if I was awake. It used to be quite creepy, but I've gotten quite used to it.
I personally believe it's lord Xenu's fault. It's leftover alien souls attached to my body transferring their thoughts while I'm nice and high. The only cure is Scientology.

I experience what you describe regularly when i try to go to bed after taking heroin. I don't get anything like that when i'm nodding, its when im trying to sleep and the opiates are then kind of keeping my up or in some sort of strange limbo.

I've had my thoughts run in some quite disturbing directions when this happens. Nothing to worry about though, i don't think, just annoying if you really need to sleep.

I've been taking opiates for about 5 or 6 years now - only 'daily' for the last 2 years I'd say. Only in the last year have I started to 'see' things. Usually by night time, after dosing all day long, I see things in the corners of my eyes. I usually think it's insects or something running on the floor - or ANY sort of small animal moving, sometimes I think it's a person (I too get paranoid at night time). I KNOW these things are not there. It still is concerning as it's not really a rare occurrence. I've just come to ignore it.

I only started hearing voices and noises in the past 8 months or so. Always when I have not slept much for a couple of days and I have been dosing (smallish amounts every couple of hours) steadily and have a good build-up in my system. I sometimes find it disturbing, sometimes fun.

When I finally lie down for a sleep I can be quite entertained by the cartoon like images and sounds. Voices that sound like they have been speeded up and images like a high def animation are my favorite. I used to think it was disturbing when it started, now I am used to it and as I said, it can be quite fun and entertaining

have any of you ever got this affect after doing drugs? because my friend after a night we did xanex and ecstacy together I know crazy right.. well we probably took about 3 xanex bars and three ecstacy pills and he says to this day it has fucked with him mentally so bad, I on the other hand feeel pretty normal. But can that be a reason to why people hear voices plus the fact of other drugs still being taken(not me but him.).

this happens to me ALL THE TIME. especially when i'm falling asleep as it's usually contributed to me being overly tired in my case. sometimes it even wakes me up it's so "loud." grrrr!

sometimes too i will actually think i am somewhere else/doing something/talking to someone and i will start talking or laughing out loud. my fiance thinks it's quite comical actually.

this happens to a lot of people i know, so don't worry man, you're not crazy!

edit// i just realized the original post was from last year, hahaha

have any of you ever got this affect after doing drugs? because my friend after a night we did xanex and ecstacy together I know crazy right.. well we probably took about 3 xanex bars and three ecstacy pills and he says to this day it has fucked with him mentally so bad, I on the other hand feeel pretty normal. But can that be a reason to why people hear voices plus the fact of other drugs still being taken(not me but him.).

it's really not that crazy.
i always have benzos for a roll.
especially the come down.

and i don't know how it could have fucked him up for life.
had he ever taken xanax before?
is he positive it didn't have more to do with the ecstasy?
was it tested as pure MDMA or did it have adulterants?
also- what is he currently taking & how regularly?

It all sounds like that waking dream state that I get into when I'm on a good dose of opiates, but I usually don't hear voices whispering in my ears. A lot of times I just close my eyes while the tv is on and my mind starts to create it's own movie to the sounds that I'm hearing from the tv. Sometimes it takes a more personal turn and it's almost like a real dream with people I actually know in real life in the dreams....it can get very strange but I've always really enjoyed it for the most part.

Yep, and I also hear Christopher Lloyd yelling "great scott!"

hahahahahahaha!

I dream alot on opiates and I sleep with the tv on and sometimes I'll wake up and realise what was on tv was going into my dream, if that makes sense?

I also have those falling dreams a lot, the ones where you wake up with a jolt. (on opiates)

I get brain zaps and hear weird shit from occasion...like right now...and its weird. I was taking methadone for a few days as I see someone else had posted something about this and holy fuck...scary ass dreams on this stuff.

hahahahahahaha!

I dream alot on opiates and I sleep with the tv on and sometimes I'll wake up and realise what was on tv was going into my dream, if that makes sense?

I also have those falling dreams a lot, the ones where you wake up with a jolt. (on opiates)
I hate falling dreams soo much

It's Hypnagogic hallucinations of the auditory kind...
I tend to experience it as the voices of my friends having a conversation with me and I with them but the rooms empty or no one is speaking, normally happens when I'm knackered and in a self-induced stupor..

Nothing abnormal really, while it may be caused by drugs it can occur just as easily without..
Hypnagogia is stage between being awake and being asleep..

The Tetris effect is another Hypnagogic phenomenon; have you ever spent the day doing an activity and then still experienced similar sensations when in bed before drifting off? Like trampolining or swimming then feel like you were still bouncing/floating in bed..

External Stimulus becoming part of a dream is very common, I'm sure most people have had their alarm clock ringing being in their dreams (normally just before you wake up an turn it off)

As for the falling and awakening with a jolt they're known as 'Hypnic Jerk' (which just sounds like an insult t'wards psychics)
It occurs most spasmtastically when your deprived of sleep and your sleep cycle is out of rhythm....

you are not alone i'll start having a conversation with someone in my head. then i might answer out loud lol. its usually when im nodding out and on the brink of passing out. i think its the demons

No dude I get this so much. Its like its screaming in my head.

Yeah, me too. Hearing voices, talking back, and interacting with characters in dreams as if they were in my waking life is pretty normal and nothing I worry about. Whether I was taking drugs or not, when I was a child and even before I took drugs, I experienced similar things in waking dreams.

I mean to research this more because I think it's really interesting. Dreams are fascinating and powerful. I seem to have a very thin membrane separating my waking consciousness from my dream subconscious. It's always been easy for me to slip into a lucid dreaming state and I think that may be related to the ease with which I sink into half-waking/half-sleeping states on opiates.

But I definitely think what the OP describes is normal for many people and I don't consider it a cause for alarm. In other words, OP and other previous posters, you're not at all crazy. :) You just have a really immediate connection to your dream states.

Top Cat: Thanks for your posts. Some interesting info in there, especially the definition of "Hypnic Jerks." I've often wondered what the correct term was for those occurrences.

I have experienced the Tetris effect many times and now I have a name for it. Most people have probably experienced it after studying for hours on end or working repetitive retail gigs. Or working as a production artist or animator. I worked in a Tower Video and our last duty of the night was re-shelving cases of the returned movies before we closed the store. I have some crystal-clear memories of bolting up in bed out of dreams where I was shelving dozens of identical VHS tape cases in rapid sequence. Usually Blue Velvet. Night after night.

Coiling audio cables… I worked as a sound tech and the last thing we'd do before going home was coiling and hanging up dozens of XLR, RCA and power cables before we could clock out. Once I jumped out of bed, convinced that we'd left a load of cables up at the Greek and was in the car before I got back to reality. Sleep deprivation and drugs seem to create the same effect. Ironically, they're very fond memories.