View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

PsyTrance

Onoe

Bluelighter
Psytrance and Psychedelic drugs; what has been your experience?

Was it too much? Intense? Just right, perfect?

What are some of your favorite psytrance artists.

http://www.psytranced.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Psytrance is amazing on psychedelics such as LSD...it's extremely trippy and blissful at the same time. It sounds significantly different on psychedelics than sober. Although driving in a car while listening to psytrance can really stimulate your mind and make you feel like you're tripping kinda. Psytrance affects theta/beta(not sure which) waves in your brain hence why it is psychedelic dance music. It helps bring upon a mystic state of feeling through repetition and slight changes, it really does evolve your mind when you hear it. Crazy stuff.

My favorite artists(this includes goatrance and psytrance because they are similar. psytrance evolved from goatrance.):

Anything by:
Hallucinogen (duh)
Astral Projection
MFG
Space Tribe
The Infinite Project
Goa Gil
Fractal Glider

Albums:
Destination Goa 5(Various Artists)
Infected Mushroom's(first album)

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled - Not psytrance but def has the influences

There's so much electronic music that doesn't fall under the tag of psytrance but is fucking sick under the influence.

psytrance and psychedelics is definitely the best music+drug combo EVER, imo.
pretty mind bending, as killo has already covered.
check out; baphomet engine, terranoise, cosmosis, entropy, tetrameth...
if you head over to the music and DJs forum you'll find a long thread dedicated to psytrance :)

I have never listened to psytrance while tripping before but I do love me some Aphex Twin.

^Other good chill 'psybient' would be Ott, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Shulman, Dakini, Don Peyote, Entheogenic

More good trance artists: Double R.E.L, Entropy, Menog, Sufi, Protoculture, Highko, Furious, Sensient, Antix...theres almost too many to name...Though, I prefer more ambient/non-psy for tripping...

No one has named Astrix<3

Touched is one of my favorites.

I spin some of his tracks.

When I hired Infected Mushroom for an event I had, I told them how much I adored their remix to "Coolio". I use that to close my sets.

Psytrance FTW!!!!!

If any of you want to hit me up, message me :)

I am Nexus, hear me roar.

I've always found psytrance (even while tripping face on LSD), to be kind of boring. But hear me out here: its not that I don't like the music, in fact I've heard some very good psytrance tracks (for instance a couple of tracks that our friend swilow made are very high quality pieces of music, some of the best psy I've heard TBH -- I think because the melodies are spot on and I'm a sucker for a great melody. I'm also, of course, a fan of the classics like shpongle, hallucinogen, ott, infected mushroom, et al.).

The reason that I think that psytrace is a bit boring, though, is because there's no interaction between musicians -- its computerized and not spontaneous; which bothers me a lot. I'm obsessed with the phenomenon of creating music absolutely in the moment as a cooperative creative energy between musicians. I'm a huge fan of bands that incorporate elements of trance into their improvised music; one band that does this superbly is Perpetual Groove. If anybody is interested in hearing a great live show of theirs (that I was at, incidentally :D) you should definitely check this out (part one is actually the bottom one on the playlist, which is kinda weird, but start on that one -- the music starts at about 1minute 25seconds in, I guess the guy was a bit late plugging into the soundboard). I think some of you psy guys might find it interesting, and if you like making psy tracks you might be able to get some inspiration from their take on synthesizing the genre into their broader approach towards music in general.

Anyways, I'm not trying to diss psytrance, its great music no doubt. I'm just throwing one of my opinions out there. What can I say, though, I'm a Deadhead and live improvised music is my cup of tea. Much love to my psytrance brothers and sisters, though. :)

fucking wonderful for the most part....

its psychedelic trance, makes sense that it goes pretty damn well with psychedelic drugs...

I would rather trip harder at a psytrance party than i would at a rave.... The lights and lasers of a rave just visually overwhelm me on certain things like mushrooms, but with the psytrance parties i have been to there isn't so much of the blinking lights and whatnot, its a lot of blacklights, and blacklight reactive artwork... they keep it simple, but god damn its trippy....

I tripped from Friday afternoon until mid day Sunday with very little of what i could call sleep through it all at a psytrance festival, ate a couple of mushrooms, took some 2c-e, ate some molly later on into the night when i was coming down from the 2c-e, ate some DOM mid day Saturday and tripped through until Sunday... and it was fucking fantastic.... DOM was the first time i have experienced visual/auditory synesthesia. Bass sending ripples through reality.... it looked like a shock wave in the air...

It's not my favourite sound but old Goa stuff like Pleidians and Crop Circles (same people behind both projects basically) I've really enjoyed on a trip, since they made use of a lot of analog gear and had a bunch of layers of dissonant synth patterns going at a fast tempo. I mean, I can really listen to anything done well on a psychedelic trip, and I never found psytrance and Goa to be too much more psychedelic than any other really well done music. But I tend to enjoy the older style of analog-heavy psy more than the newer, obviously computer-heavy stuff. Something is inherently psychedelic about current being manipulated with analog technology to make sound as opposed to sound being made through binary with softsynths. It's kind of a more direct manipulation of energy. And an analog feedback loop is hella trippy. Just point an old camera at an old tv and you'll see what I mean;) Analog video feedback+old school psytrance=one tripped out party.

The reason that I think that psytrace is a bit boring, though, is because there's no interaction between musicians -- its computerized and not spontaneous; which bothers me a lot. I'm obsessed with the phenomenon of creating music absolutely in the moment as a cooperative creative energy between musicians.

Well, although an electronic musician uses a lot of pre-baked sequences, there are a lot of multi-person live electronic acts doing often improvised stuff using a toolkit of synth patterns and rhythms and stuff that really is thrown together on the spot. Not all electronica is made first and then thrown onto records to be played by djs. I actually wish more people were doing live sets, but having a bunch of clunky synths, drum machines and sequencers in a forest under a tarp, juggling them all through a mixing board isn't something everybody can or wants to do. I would but my addiction is to video stuff right now.

But I know what you're saying. I usually prefer stuff made by bands. I never understood those occasional people I've run into who can only listen to electronic music. There is so much really beautiful instrumental stuff done, thousands of years worth of it.