• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzo noob: 1mg Xanax, 10mg Valium, or 2mg Ativan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes alcohol and benzos can feel great together but they can be a deadly combination, if you are not benzo tolerant i would just take the benzos if you must only have one beer , and since its for recreation def go for the xanax it is the stronger of them

wait i thought 1mg ativan = 1mg xanax = 10mg valium in strength? (according to wiki i think)

^ those tables arent accurate and are usually desighned for withdrawl schedules. also individual reactions are very variable. for me 2mg ativan does NOT come close to even 10mg valium. and forget it even comparing to 1mg xanax. but for me 10mg valium seems stronger to me than 1mg xanax. and ive been prescribed all three so i have a good way to compare.;)

If I was given that choice I would take the Valium, but I doubt 10mg would really do anything for me. As far as Xanax and Ativan go, they don't do fuck all for me. I've taken up to 10mg of Xanax and had no noticable effects what so ever. Now if Im drinking and I take as little as 1 mg of Xanax I'll be in black out city. Im just really wierd when it comes to benzos.

Technically speaking--->

10mg of diazepam (Valium) = 2 mg lorazepam (Ativan) = 1mg alprazolam (Xanax). I'm assuming you already knew that though, and are asking which ones different BL's prefer. Here's what I know about the three benzos----->

-All three are wonderful anxiolytics, sedatives, and muscle relaxers.

-Ativan and Valium are both used clinically as sedatives and muscle relaxers while Xanax generally is not...probably b/c Xanax is a more powerful (and thus technically more dangerous) sedative.

-Xanax nad Ativan are more powerful sedatives and hypnotics than Valium.

-Valium has a quicker onset and shorter duration of action compared to the other two.

-Valium has less rebound symptoms, as in hangover symptoms that one might experience after coming down. The hangover may occur the same day of the dose or the next day after a night of benzing. Common hangover symptoms are drowsiness, feeling like crap, feeling depressed, and increased susceptibility to anxiety (aka rebound anxiety).

-Ativan and Xanax are better for patients with liver problems because they are easier metabolized.

I'd rather take the Xanax because it's a more intensely sedated feeling. Valium is great for things like public speaking, because you need high doses to become sedated. At the right dose, Valium takes away all anxiety whatsoever without making you feel sorta drunk. Xanax is better for gettting fucked up, which is generally my goal with benzos. I used to take Valium a lot in highschool, because it helped immensely with my classroom anxiety. I was able to give the right answer, make the entire class crack-up, and side-track the teacher into talking about something that was actually interesting. I can do stuff like that without Valium now that I'm in college, a more comfortable setting for me. Xanax is great for sinking into the couch and having a blast watching some otherwise mind-numbing TV show or playing some video game that I would get bored with quickly without the drug. Ativan is less intense than Xanax, but seems to be longer-acting.

I need much higher doses than those listed in the OP, though.

Valium is better if you're planning on taking a benzo for an extended amount of time (x days in a row). It is common knowledge that the withdrawal from Valium would be easier than that of Xanax/Ativan if all three drugs were taken in similar doses by similar people/body types and for the same amount of days. I don't know that personally because I avoid benzo w/d at all costs. I don't want to be having a seizure any time soon.

Last edited:
Technically speaking--->

10mg of diazepam (Valium) = 2 mg lorazepam (Ativan) = 1mg alprazolam (Xanax). I'm assuming you already knew that though, and are asking which ones different BL's prefer. Here's what I know about the three benzos----->

-Ativan and Valium are both used clinically as sedatives and muscle relaxers while Xanax generally is not...probably b/c Xanax is a more powerful (and thus technically more dangerous) sedative.

-Valium has a quicker onset and shorter duration of action compared to the other two.

-Valium has less rebound symptoms, as in hangover symptoms that one might experience after coming down. The hangover may occur the same day of the dose or the next day after a night of benzing. Common hangover symptoms are drowsiness, feeling like crap, feeling depressed, and increased susceptibility to anxiety (aka rebound anxiety).

-Ativan and Xanax are better for patients with liver problems because they are easier metabolized.

I'd rather take the Xanax because it's a more intensely sedated feeling. Valium is great for things like public speaking, because you need high doses to become sedated. At the right dose, Valium takes away all anxiety whatsoever without making you feel sorta drunk. Xanax is better for gettting fucked up, which is generally my goal with benzos. I used to take Valium a lot in highschool, because it helped immensely with my classroom anxiety. I was able to give the right answer, make the entire class crack-up, and side-track the teacher into talking about something that was actually interesting. I can do stuff like that without Valium now that I'm in college, a more comfortable setting for me. Xanax is great for sinking into the couch and having a blast watching some otherwise mind-numbing TV show or playing some video game that I would get bored with quickly without the drug. Ativan is less intense than Xanax, but seems to be longer-acting.

Valium is better if you're planning on taking a benzo for an extended amount of time (x days in a row). It is common knowledge that the withdrawal from Valium would be easier than that of Xanax/Ativan if all three drugs were taken in similar doses by similar people/body types and for the same amount of days. I don't know that personally because I avoid benzo w/d at all costs. I don't want to be having a seizure any time soon.

Assuming all that information was accurate, great post!

Thanks!

well valium lasts longer, alot longer, and xanax is just a short high, although i find xanax nice, but valium is good too, if ur a first time user. soo when it comes down to it, id adivse you to ju get the 10mg valium, BECAUSE where u dont have a tolerance you will enjoy it longer. plus xanax is pretty strong. IMO.

btw, ativan is shit, IMO again.

Last edited:
I would go with the xanax probably, valium is nice though. Xanax is a heavier high than valium for the same relative dosing which is probably what you are after. I have no experience with ativan but it does seem to be abused a lot less than the other two, which probably says something about its recreational value.

If you want to drink go real easy on it, I mean real easy because combining alcohol and benzos fucks you up hardcore. It is an instant blackout for a lot of people, what you can't predict is if you will just pass out quickly or do a whole host of stupid shit you don't remember. It is a nice feeling if you don't push it, with no benzo experience I would reccomend you get a few experiences under your belt without booze, then start to add small amounts of alcohol when you take them to see how it effects you.

And Spaceyourbass, valium is the longest duration of all 3 so learn what the fuck you are talking about before posting harm reduction advice.

Technically speaking--->

Valium is by far more recreational than both ativan and xanax so i'd go with the valium.

valium is also more powerful than both at equapotent doses (10 mg valium = 0.5 mg xanax = 1 mg ativan). at those doses, valium is more bang for ur buck.

Valium is by far more recreational than both ativan and xanax so i'd go with the valium.

valium is also more powerful than both at equapotent doses (10 mg valium = 0.5 mg xanax = 1 mg ativan). at those doses, valium is more bang for ur buck.

but the xanax i could get are 1mg? so is that like 2x10mg valium?

^in my experience, not quite. but it is stronger than 10mg. or maybe 1mg almost feels as strong as 20mg for like a brief moment, just cause xanax is so short and strong. 20mg of valium is definitely more drug than 1mg of xanax though.

Diazepam with a very small glass of wine.. So, so, so nice at the end of a stressful day.
Just relaxes me intensely and wipes away the mess of the day :)
But, in the end, it's subjective. If you can, I'd suggest getting some of each and test them on separate days.

I think I'm going to go with valium now. Longer lasting (about how long though?), easier to withdrawal from (I'm going to be getting 30 pills), and I don't want to start my benzo career with xanax and set a precedent that every time I use benzos it's all a bout getting fucked up.

Is it possible to break a valium in half though for half the effect, like it is with xanax? I'm going to be getting generic btw.

I haven't had experience with Xanax. I took Atavan when flying, and I will say it made a 4 hour plane trip seem like 30 minutes.

With valium, I like 20mgs with some alcohol, say a few shots of your favorite liquor. It gets you nice a buzzed, but doesn't knock you out, so you have the option of sitting home and relaxing, or going to the club and having a cheap night, since basically you only need to sip on a beer and your still buzzed all night.

The best, and I mean absolutely best think about valium is the anti-anxiety properties. If you have any worries on your mind at all, valium will take it away. I get anxiety from time to time (like a lot of people I guess) and even just 5mg valium about an hour before bed is one of the more relaxing sleeps I have ever had. It really is a life changing drug.

That said, apparently benzo withdrawal is the worst thing you can have happen to you, so be careful.

Edit: My brother is chronic, and he complains that when he combines valium with beer he has really bad memory loss. I haven't had this happen to me too severely, but the last time I did valium (I wrote a post on it in this forum) I took I think 60mgs and a lot of alcohol, and I have to say, my memory of the night is sketchy at best.

Last edited:
Is it possible to break a valium in half though for half the effect, like it is with xanax? I'm going to be getting generic btw.

If you have fingers, then ofcourse it is ;) Why wouldn't it be?

So far you guys have been incredibly informative, thank you.

But I have two lingering questions remaining.

About how long does the valium/xanax high last?

And, What's the hierarchy as far as methods of administration go? (including swallowing, insuffalation, rectal, parachuting and sublingual administration. Did I miss anything lol?)

Thanks again.

I am no expert, but for me valium isn't really a high. It's just relaxing. Imagine how you would feel after you are finished with finals, not a care in the world, and you are sitting back with your favorite snack to watch your favorite movie. Sorry if that sounds kinda gay, but that's valium for me. Total relaxation.

The closest thing to a valium high I could tell you would be to mix it with alcohol. It seems to me to increase the effects of alcohol by about 3-5 times. So 3 shots of tequila w/ 20 mg valium feels like I drank 10 or 11 shots of tequila, except it is still relaxing.

You know how some people always manage to get into a fight whenever they go clubbing? Well I can't imagine anyone getting into a fight on valium.

^ those tables arent accurate and are usually desighned for withdrawl schedules. also individual reactions are very variable. for me 2mg ativan does NOT come close to even 10mg valium. and forget it even comparing to 1mg xanax. but for me 10mg valium seems stronger to me than 1mg xanax. and ive been prescribed all three so i have a good way to compare.;)
Really! i would put those doses in the exact opposite order. i'd say 10mgValium<1mgXanax<2mgAtivan. 1mg of Xanax and 2mg of ativan are pretty close though.

Status
Not open for further replies.