Bluelight

Thread: Benzo noob: 1mg Xanax, 10mg Valium, or 2mg Ativan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Benzo noob: 1mg Xanax, 10mg Valium, or 2mg Ativan? 
    Capsule
    I'm not experienced with benzos and I have a choice between these three. Which would you guys recommend? Ativan is the more expensive one but if it's worth it I might spring for it, otherwise I'll just pick between Xanax and Valium.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

go with the xanax

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer428 View Post
    go with the xanax
    That's what I was thinking actually but can you explain why xanax is best?

4. Collapse Details

The are all supposedly equivalent although i would say valium does nothing for me. Ativan is OK but not as good as xanax. Xanax is the best even though the are all equal potency in the doses you listed. And im speaking in terms of recreational use.

If your talking about anxiety then it depends on your situation.

Xanax has a short half life and kicks in quick good for short bursts of anxiety

Ativan is pretty much the same just not quite as fast and short of a half life

Valium takes a while like up to an hour to kick in and has a half like up to 100 hours supposedly but either way its much much longer than xanax and ativan.

If you dont know what im talking about with HL, Equapotency, etc you should post in BDD

5. Collapse Details

OK I just posted this thread in BDD

6. Collapse Details

ok, i just deleted it

7. Collapse Details

id take the valium. though i dont feel like 10mg is really quite equal to 1 mg of xanax or 2 of ativan. it doesnt take anywhere near an hour for me to feel valium.

8. Collapse Details

Go for 1mg Xanax, unless you can get 20mg of Valium, that would probably be a bit nicer. Depends on what you're looking for, though both will just chill you out nicely and you'll have a wonderful sleep. Valium lingers for quite a while, so expect to feel at least a little loopy the next day but benzos at those doses aren't too serious you are essentially sober, just more chilled out.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by vortex30 View Post
    Go for 1mg Xanax, unless you can get 20mg of Valium, that would probably be a bit nicer. Depends on what you're looking for, though both will just chill you out nicely and you'll have a wonderful sleep. Valium lingers for quite a while, so expect to feel at least a little loopy the next day but benzos at those doses aren't too serious you are essentially sober, just more chilled out.

No I can't get 20mgs. What do you mean by "loopy"?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hydroazuanacaine View Post
    id take the valium. though i dont feel like 10mg is really quite equal to 1 mg of xanax or 2 of ativan. it doesnt take anywhere near an hour for me to feel valium.
    Can't you just chew xanax for it to hit you faster?

11. Collapse Details

it depends on what you want it for, if you want it for recreational uses yes the xanax because ten mgs of valium only equals half of one mg of xanax, but if you need this for anxiety that is long lasting then the valium, if you only get panic attacks and need something quick then xanax is the best choice, if you would tell why you are getting them it would be an easier question i dont really like ativan but two mg ativans are supposedly equal to one mg xanax so in theory those two are kind of alike ,

12. Collapse Details

Somewhere between Eden and North Utopia. Somewhere beneath the astral plain
    Xanax bro

13. Collapse Details

if those were my options id take 10mg of the valium. For some reason 10mg valium affects me stronger than 1mg xanax or 2mg ativan. Even if i take enough ativan to get a buzz it still sucks. now i wuld take 2mg xanax over 10mg valium tho.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tee2 View Post
    No I can't get 20mgs. What do you mean by "loopy"?
    Then go for the Xanax. By loopy I just meant still feeling it a fair bit, feeling a bit out of it and relaxed and stuff.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tee2 View Post
    Can't you just chew xanax for it to hit you faster?
    you can hold just about any benzo under your tongue to make it kick in faster. i wouldnt chew em though, they all tend to be pretty soft pills; they will dissolve in your stomach quickly on their own.

16. Collapse Details

A glass bottle in the ocean between waves and rocks
    xanax will hit you the hardest... valium is nice coz its a muscle relaxer too, but many people find it more mellow than xanax, as for lorazepam, i've never tried it, some love it others hate it... (as a benzo)

17. Collapse Details

This is for recreational use.

Now, I have to ask, I've read that alcohol and benzos have a synergistic effect. I've also read that it's a very dangerous combination. What if I took one or two pills (probably xanax) and had one or two beers would that be too dangerous?

18. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    Take the xanax and wait 2 hours. If you're not where you want to be, have a beer and wait 30 minutes. This is a combo you need to be careful with though. Countless people have blacked out from it or wose .

19. Collapse Details

What's the deal with retrograde amnesia?

20. Collapse Details

Basic Drug Discussion
    What do you mean? It's extremely common from benzos alone, even more with benzos + alcohol.

21. Collapse Details

yes alcohol and benzos can feel great together but they can be a deadly combination, if you are not benzo tolerant i would just take the benzos if you must only have one beer , and since its for recreation def go for the xanax it is the stronger of them

22. Collapse Details

wait i thought 1mg ativan = 1mg xanax = 10mg valium in strength? (according to wiki i think)

23. Collapse Details

^ those tables arent accurate and are usually desighned for withdrawl schedules. also individual reactions are very variable. for me 2mg ativan does NOT come close to even 10mg valium. and forget it even comparing to 1mg xanax. but for me 10mg valium seems stronger to me than 1mg xanax. and ive been prescribed all three so i have a good way to compare.

24. Collapse Details

If I was given that choice I would take the Valium, but I doubt 10mg would really do anything for me. As far as Xanax and Ativan go, they don't do fuck all for me. I've taken up to 10mg of Xanax and had no noticable effects what so ever. Now if Im drinking and I take as little as 1 mg of Xanax I'll be in black out city. Im just really wierd when it comes to benzos.

25. Collapse Details

Technically speaking--->

10mg of diazepam (Valium) = 2 mg lorazepam (Ativan) = 1mg alprazolam (Xanax). I'm assuming you already knew that though, and are asking which ones different BL's prefer. Here's what I know about the three benzos----->

-All three are wonderful anxiolytics, sedatives, and muscle relaxers.

-Ativan and Valium are both used clinically as sedatives and muscle relaxers while Xanax generally is not...probably b/c Xanax is a more powerful (and thus technically more dangerous) sedative.

-Xanax nad Ativan are more powerful sedatives and hypnotics than Valium.

-Valium has a quicker onset and shorter duration of action compared to the other two.

-Valium has less rebound symptoms, as in hangover symptoms that one might experience after coming down. The hangover may occur the same day of the dose or the next day after a night of benzing. Common hangover symptoms are drowsiness, feeling like crap, feeling depressed, and increased susceptibility to anxiety (aka rebound anxiety).

-Ativan and Xanax are better for patients with liver problems because they are easier metabolized.

I'd rather take the Xanax because it's a more intensely sedated feeling. Valium is great for things like public speaking, because you need high doses to become sedated. At the right dose, Valium takes away all anxiety whatsoever without making you feel sorta drunk. Xanax is better for gettting fucked up, which is generally my goal with benzos. I used to take Valium a lot in highschool, because it helped immensely with my classroom anxiety. I was able to give the right answer, make the entire class crack-up, and side-track the teacher into talking about something that was actually interesting. I can do stuff like that without Valium now that I'm in college, a more comfortable setting for me. Xanax is great for sinking into the couch and having a blast watching some otherwise mind-numbing TV show or playing some video game that I would get bored with quickly without the drug. Ativan is less intense than Xanax, but seems to be longer-acting.

I need much higher doses than those listed in the OP, though.

Valium is better if you're planning on taking a benzo for an extended amount of time (x days in a row). It is common knowledge that the withdrawal from Valium would be easier than that of Xanax/Ativan if all three drugs were taken in similar doses by similar people/body types and for the same amount of days. I don't know that personally because I avoid benzo w/d at all costs. I don't want to be having a seizure any time soon.
    Last edited by spaceyourbass; 10-05-2009 at 06:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast