• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Kratom Withdrawal

Hey, hang in there, day 5 is great progress but you'll have a bit more to go. And don't worry, you didn't permanently damage your brain, you just threw your opiate receptor system out of homeostasis. It will recover. It DOES feel like you have damaged something when you're withdrawing but it's an illusion.

That's hard to read without paragraphs, but then I know it's hard to write in paragraphs during a WD.

I've done withdrawal from morphine, Oxy, Kratom and Codeine at various times. For me the worst symptom is the restlessness and restless legs, which I actually get worse with kratom than anything else...

You'll get through this, hang in there!

Yeah, the RLS is worst of any opiate I've tried with kratom as well, it's absolutely horrendous. I get RLS anyway sometimes when sober and not addicted to drugs, and I would get it so bad with kratom that I would have restless ARMS too... imagine laying in bed trying to sleep with the uncontrollable NEED to thrash your arms AND legs. So horrible.

Hey, hang in there, day 5 is great progress but you'll have a bit more to go. And don't worry, you didn't permanently damage your brain, you just threw your opiate receptor system out of homeostasis. It will recover. It DOES feel like you have damaged something when you're withdrawing but it's an illusion.

Yeah, the RLS is worst of any opiate I've tried with kratom as well, it's absolutely horrendous. I get RLS anyway sometimes when sober and not addicted to drugs, and I would get it so bad with kratom that I would have restless ARMS too... imagine laying in bed trying to sleep with the uncontrollable NEED to thrash your arms AND legs. So horrible.

I get something like that too, I'll change position and feel relief then 5 seconds later... I think Akathisia is the technical term?

Kratom is so easy to overdo. With my current DOC (codeine) there is a limit, taking more is pointless past a certain dose/frequency, but I found kratom I could get through a half kilo of plain leaf or more a week... Didn't do it for years, then one day just thought I'd get some for a gig one weekend, and you know what happened next...

Kmonster hope you are hanging in there. And don't beat yourself up, addiction can hit everyone from people living on the street to college professors with PhDs, it's not choosy and there are plenty of us who have been there.

You're hopefully through the worst of it now but you'll need to be careful. So many times the addiction can trick you by convincing you that you deserve a reward for going through the withdrawal, it's a crafty SOB alright!

Keep going, your motivation will come back in time, your brain will heal, just follow the old cliche of one day at a time.

My last kratom WD only lasted 4 days and I used stem-and-vein powder to make it all very tolerable. Kratom stem-and-vein powder is bottom of the plant, it doesnt get you high and works GREAT for WD's.

You can source it online for cheap

I'm new here and not sure if this is the right place to post but I just wanted to give my 2 cents. Although I've never done kratom and don't plan to, I do have my demons to fight with opiates. I've been basically hooked on the crap for a little over 5 years. Started with Vics 5/500 and now I'm steady at Norcs 10/325 but a lot (for me) daily. They're prescribed to me after back surgery but I run out every single month and every single month I hate myself a little bit more. Any who....I'm deathly afraid of w/d's and have a very low tolerance for it. Meaning, I can't take it AT ALL. Not even on day one. Maybe I'm weak. Who knows. But I have to say I found that lope works miracles. No kidding. I'd say 90% of my w/d symptoms are gone. The only part that hangs on is the slight anxiety and the boredom. I'm not restless thank Jesus....I can SLEEP!!! But just the time goes so slow. However, if you keep busy doing anything, taking a walk, playing a game, surf the net, you'll be ok. I know it doesn't work for everyone and no, it won't get you high. Although it does give a warm kinda feeling after about 1-2 hours kick in time and you may get extremely sleepy which is awesome for night time. But because of my w/d experiences without and now with using lope, I can say it just might help anyone in w/d. Give it a try. So far, it's been a life saver. Good luck guys. ?

My last kratom WD only lasted 4 days and I used stem-and-vein powder to make it all very tolerable. Kratom stem-and-vein powder is bottom of the plant, it doesnt get you high and works GREAT for WD's.

You can source it online for cheap

Hmmm.... Only this year I was getting through a hell of a lot of stem and vein powder. The plan was to come off the likes of Golden Indo and Thai leaf, then taper off the stem and vein, I ended up on the stem and vein for about 3 months, using a crapload of the stuff, and still got bad withdrawals when I eventually decided enough was enough and just stopped.

I personally don't believe in tapers, or I mean to say they have never worked for me. The usual pattern is reduce, reduce, reduce, oh damn something stressful's happened OK I'll binge today and then go back to the taper, well, maybe next week, I know I can taper as I've just done it for a week. But a little binge for a day or 5 won't hurt, x is happening this weekend anyway so the taper would go to hell anyway...

I read a lot about tapers, they are fine for the physical side of withdrawal, but I feel don't take into account the psychological side of addiction that with means with a lot of people it's basically like saying to a child "Here's a plateful of cookies. You can eat one an hour, no more, but you have to look at the cookies for the whole hour in between".

I fully respect anyone with the willpower to make a taper work but I just don't have it and always have to CT.

^^^ Hedo, try these 2 supplements for next time you have to WD. They will take a lot of the edge off:

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/540581-The-Kratom-Thread?p=10247064&viewfull=1#post10247064

Thanks for the tip... I know phenibut works as I once traded my kratom addiction for a phenibut addiction and phenibut was harder to get off and I found GABA made me feel very strange... That was quite a while ago.

I think I am destined to just pay the piper, I can live with that, but might be useful info for others stopping by this thread! :)

Hope kmonster is doing OK!

I've been w/d from kratom for the past 5 days. I ct'd 25 grams a day that I had been on for a year. After 2 days of intense apathy, boredom, and anxiety, I gave in and bought an oz from the headshop. I finished that Monday night and I guess I threw away 2 tough days of withdrawal for basically nothing bc now I am back at square one. It's almost 4am, 30hrs since my last dose and I can't sleep a wink. I stay stuck on my laptop trying to pass the time, not knowing how long this is gonna last. I'm reading all the posts on this thread and am kinda excited to see w/d fading after 48hrs for some ppl.

I always get this constant string of negative thoughts when I'm in withdrawal. I think about stupid things that have happened in my life and then feel guilty and depressed about them. This low level anxiety coupled with zero motivation to do anything other than watch youtube/read BL is very draining. I started using Kratom bc it brightened and boosted my mood, which is usually low. The feeling would last a couple of hours and then slowly fade. Now I am lucky to get that feeling for 30 minutes before it's gone and I'm back to baseline. I also get munchies which cause me to eat a ton which equals weight gain. So as you can see, I need to take a break. I'd love for the feeling to come back but I guess every drug loses its magic eventually.

@crestfallen

It will definitely get better soon man, stick in there! You should feel significantly better after 4 or 5 days of zero kratom. After that it should lighten up a good bit. If you haven't tried anything for sleeping yet, taking diphenhydramine (Benadryl) might help knock you out. Taking any chance you can to get some exercise or even just going for a walk can help relieve the apathetic/anxious feeling for a little while and take your mind off it.

thanks for the support professseur, i need it right now. No energy but I'm going for a walk to get in a better headspace

thanks for the support professseur, i need it right now. No energy but I'm going for a walk to get in a better headspace

Just adding my support, this will get better. I remember my first wd from kratom, many years ago now, after several years' daily use and not really knowing much about addiction/dependency at the time. I'd quit smoking and cut down on drinking and kratom seemed an innocent way to replace those... Anyway, I remember the first wd, I was actually ok for about 24 hours then the symptoms hit me like a train.

I'm only mentioning all this as I remember the paradox of feeling like you have no energy at all, and yet your body is full of this restlessness and urge to move at the same time. I couldn't sit or lie still for more than 5 seconds and of course sleep was not going to happen, so in the end I headed out onto the streets at 3am and walked for hours.

Walking is good - I was lucky at the time as I was in position to take myself away to the coast and away from all temptation, and did a lot of walking. It helps, I find - but even just walking the block is a positive thing, keep your spirits up.

Hey fellow Kratom users. I to have become addicted to this plant. Ive only been using plain powdered leave everyday for about 3-4 weeks maybe 10g a day for getting through a rough time. For me, when I stop taking it I experience horrible anxiety issues, depression and a complete lack of energy and motivation. My body also feels gritty and irratable. I guess i,m in a way lucky I havnt been on it for months or years like many people here. I dont get the Restless Leg Syndrome (yet) and dont want to. That sounds like a complete nightmare!

I am still taking it right now at the same dosage, but this is only to make me feel semi normal. The high dosnt kick in to much anymore...It only allows me to pick myself up and get out the door or wright things down, like on this forum.

Its funny how the good reputable vendors dont warn of the possible downsides to this plant. I think they should. Its not as innocent as its made out to be. Its only of recent ive come to threads like this and I have been a bit shocked at the amount of people going through similar experiences. I want to get off this green stuff 2, badly, and to feel like myself again.

i,m goin to try the excercise approach. Jogging and sprinting as well. Also i,m goin to try with the cold shower method to see how it goes.

I know its damned hard to pick yourself up and do this while in withdrawels. Even makin breakfast is a nightmare or plugging in an external harddrive to the computer can be a right old chore. For me I end up just wanting to lye in bed, but I find that the mind just wanders and dwells on negativity...Like other posters have said, you end up not eating right just so that you get the effects of the Kratom to keep yourself feeling semi right. I think the key to get off the stuff is to boost the feel good chemicals again in hope everyting will balance itself out. Through food and excercise and somehow keeping your mind mentally engaged. Easier said than done though.

Ive heard of phenibut, but I think if I tried that id just end up being addicted to that stuff to. I think we need to be careful on all the stuff thats legal to buy. I thought Kratom was safe, and maybe it is for short term use. Recreational or medically. But if you go over the barrier I.E. length of time you take it you end up just taking it to feel normal to keep the wd,s away for another while which aint good. I guess though it has its worth taking for people who suffer from certain physical ailments. I,m grateful that I still have my physical health to excercise.

Glad to be here on this forum anyway. I hope to get of this stuff 2.I like the feeling of opiates and Kratom, buts its just not worth it. If anyone has tried excercise let me know if its helped? This should hopefully trigger the natural high we get from excercise and make the wd,s more bearable. I,l post here anyway to see if it works, and thats if I manage to haul myself out the door. Let me know guys how you are getting on quiting this stuff. I,l update this post to see how the jogging goes.

Last edited:
Thanks hedonistica. Since you've been through kratom w/d before, do you know when the symptoms start to get better? Mainly the boredom, complete lack of motivation to do anything other than lay in bed and surf online? You're right about the first 24hrs being ok. I'm on day 5 and the physical shit seems to have passed but I still feel like a zombie. Parents are getting pissed but damn it they don't have a clue...

I force myself to go for walks but it's not even a mile :( Sleep evades me every night and diphenhydramine/doxylamine kick RLS up severely so I can't use those. Ughh I want out of this hole.

I don't know your situation crestfallen - what was your motivation like before you started using the kratom? I note you've been using for a year so it might be hard to remember! Also, what got you started? A lot of us start using kratom etc to deal with anxiety or depression or some kind of dissatisfaction with life and when physical withdrawal is over the original feelings just come rolling back in on top of the withdrawal depression.

Another day or two and you should start to see light at the end of the tunnel, bear in mind your body and mind are adjusting. It's important you try to replace the kratom with something positive but for the moment if lying on your bed and surfing is eating up the time then maybe that's OK for a little while longer!

While your surfing read up about PAWS if you haven't already, a lot of the strategies for harder opiate long term recovery also apply to kratom - and try to stay away from depressing news sites.

Picking up Mr Green Plant's points I think exercise is an excellent recovery tool, even if you can't do much, do as much as you can. Tomorrow you'll be able to do more.

Also Mr GP after only 3-4 weeks you should be able to get back to normal fairly quickly so keep up with the jogging etc!

My mood has never been super great but I could always force myself to do something. That's a big reason why I started the kratom in the first place. All of a sudden I was in a positive upbeat mood and my anxiety was non existent for a few months before it slowly started coming back. Yeah I think I'm returning to my baseline anxiety ridden self..or maybe i'm just being a pussy lol idk

I always found exercise to be my best friend in regards to feeling depressed so I'm gonna slowly start doing it as much as I can. I've dealt w/ PAWS after coming off suboxone and that lasted 2-3 months before I started exercising and then it went away. I'll use that as motivation to do work. I think the cigs are also compounding the lethargy so i'm cutting those out after I finish my pack. Appreciate it man!

You're welcome - I've always found forums such as this to be a huge help during various wds over the years so try to help out when I can.

Keep going and post if you need a bit of support :)

Hi Crestfallen, hows your mood today? Do you have any experience with taking a small dosage of lopermide for withdrawals. I,m a bit concerned about the toilet aspects it could bring. Im sure prune juice might alleviate the accumulation of breeze blocks though. Ive a bad chest cough at the moment so unable to hit the jogging/sprinting...I noticed though unexpectedly, i have some cough medicine that has dxm in it. I only took a dose of 30mg, therapeutic dose and it seems to have helped somewhat with the anxiety. I dont plan to take it recreationally at all though. Its not my thing. But its interesting if a small dose can help. Best man, hope your coming round pal...

Whenever I took loperamide for withdrawal, I would also take a couple of stool softeners and, if necessary, a laxative, that would pretty much normalize things.

a benzo for ONE week could help, id leave the lope alone. That stuff can actually prolong withdrawal due to its opiate properties. I take the minimum of benzo that helps. Don't eat a bar...eat .25 and see if that helps. if not, in another hour eat another.25.
Don't get hooked on the benzos or you'll wish you stuck with opiates. trust.
plus you dont wanna be a fuckin zombie and remember, you're just "helping" withdraw ...you're never gonna kill all the symptoms