• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Recreational use of 2-Methyl-2-butanol

Hopefully the poppies made you feel better, TD. 8 hours sounds more like what I'd expect from a substance like this, alot of the "rarer" GABAergic (chloral, GHB) drugs seem like they top out at around 6 hours or so. Hopefully you havent been using the stuff daily though, I'm guessing it'd have similar withdrawal symptoms to other GABA drugs, and we all know how painful those can be.

The long duration is one of the nicest aspects of this I think.

^It could be nice, because you wouldn't really have to redose. But knowing myself and how irresponsible I can be with wanting to up my dose by just one more benzo, or just another shot of vodka, when it comes to GABAergic drugs, I could see myself wanting to redose on this stuff, even when I shouldn't. So I guess if I ever do try this, I'd have to have someone with me to make sure that I don't try to redose until about 8 hours after the onset. Caution is a definite must when using downers with a long duration of action!

Its great that TD has been pretty careful and exact in his dosing and reporting of effects, not only for his own safety, but also because its really helpful for those of us learning about this substance!

Coolio--have you had the opportunity to try this one yet? I'd like to hear more about this one from as many people as possible.

Nope, I would try it for the novelty but I don't like ethanol or benzos anymore so I'm not interested in purchasing even the bare minimum amount of this to be able to try a few doses.

While the way in which TD has done this has lessened the risk, I would strongly advise that you don't continue this unless you have sufficient evidence that it is non toxic. Obviously it is at your own discretion as to whether you do or not, but don't forget that chemicals which are isomers of eachother can have extremely different effects, and chemical similarity alone isn't enough to rule out potential dangers (While I am sure TD knows this, this is aimed more at people considering trying this).

I think it's safe to assume it is toxic, but could it possibly be as toxic as ethanol, the world's most popular recreational solvent?

After realizing that this is a component of a 2 part epoxy I use for making fishing tackle, I think I'll pass...

I think I should post an update, having tried it a few more times. First of all, the best dose range seems to be in the 8-11ml range. Sleep will come very easily with 10-12ml, but you can stay awake pretty easily as long as you are not feeling tired before dosing and don't lie down with eyes closed after dosing.

I should also point out that I weigh about 285lb. I am a big fat guy. Smaller people may need less to get the desired effects.

Amounts as small as 4-5ml is enough to help you get to sleep, and you may not need more than that if this is your purpose. This level can also be recreational, though it gets more fun at a higher dose.

I am pretty sure that the reaction I got from the first time at a rather low dose was the result of still having some alprazolam and gabapentin in my system from earlier in the day.

The strongest effects last 5-8 hours, duration increasing with dose. You can expect some effects for 2-4 hours longer after the stronger effects have worn off. You should be completely back to normal within 12 hours, though it is often less.

As would be expected, taking it on a full stomach will delay absorption and can lengthen the duration.

I took the dose as high as 15ml, though I had taken some provigil 3 or 4 hours earlier. The addition of the stimulant resulted in effects that were almost indistinguishable from a large dose of ethanol, probably because it lessened the sedation. This was too much, as the effects took longer to wear off than they did at the 10-11ml level.

Otherwise, the effects are fairly similar to those of ethanol, but more sedating and more euphoric. I at no point experienced any sort of hangover.

I can also say that this stuff is addictive. I hadn't felt any strong desire to use it until after doing it 3 nights in a row. The following night, I felt a strong desire to use it. I didn't give in, but I have rarely felt the urge to use a drug that strongly. I've only used it once in the last 3 nights and will not be using any tonight. You should just be aware that it can be quite addictive if you plan on trying it.

I won't be using too much more, as I don't have any idea how harmful it might be. It is possible that it is less harmful than ethanol, but the opposite could just as easily be true.

I am glad to have discovered and tried this substance, as I like to try unusual or obscure drugs, and this substance fits that description. I just wish more was known about its safety. I'm not willing to use it over the long term without that information.

I'd recommend to anyone who is interested in trying it that they set a limit on the amount they are going to use and then stick with it. Better safe than sorry.

If anyone else does try it, please post a bit about your experience. I'd like to hear what others think of this substance if they try it.

^
That's right, exactly the substance I'm talking about.
2-methyl-2-butanol is just another name for the same thing.

I know there are going to be four more people trying this soon. They will all be writing at least a short description of any effects they get both positive and negative. They'll also make comparisons with other sedatives. Between them, they have experience with ethanol, GHB, chloral hydrate, benzos, barbiturates, and maybe some other things.

I'm sure anyone interested at all in it would like to hear from more people than just me. Maybe with this info anyone with any interest can make a more informed decision about whether to try it or not. I for one am very interested in finding out if others find this chemical as pleasing and free of side effects as I do.

I've already decided that I'll never touch the stuff again if any of the people who are trying it out experience any significant side effects.

I'm going to post another message to this thread of some messages sent to and received from Beenhead regarding possible carcinogenic potential. The MSDS says it isn't suspected of being one, but I doubt much testing has been done regarding consumption, so that isn't too much comfort. Beenhead stated this opinion because chemicals with similar structures are known to cause cancer, including ethanol.

He seems to think that the type of risk associated with this chemical will likely be similar in nature to those of ethanol, but of course can't say with any certainty what the dangers or degree of the danger is. I just thought this information may be of interest to some of you, especially those who seem interested in trying it, and Beenhead is okay with these messages being posted.

If Beenhead or anyone else with the knowledge can do so, I would like to know what kinds of health risks are associated with strain alkyl chains, as one of the messages mentioned it contained that and they are generally bad for health. I guess I'll just send Beenhead a message to ask that question, so you don't have to worry about that. I'll be sure to post the answer.

Keep in mind these chemicals were abandoned medically; they weren't forgotten.

Available information on side effects, severity of abstinence syndrome, liklihood of compulsive use, etc should be included as well. While some chemicals of these classes have not been as thoroughly studied as others, many do have a comprehensive literature available on them.

Some people have a reluctance to try Barbiturates or Bromides, but seem highly enthusiastic about using drugs with a lower safety margin, worse side effect profile that were abandoned medically over a hundred years ago ;)

I have no reluctance to try barbiturates or bromides, but the only one I can find is phenobarbital, and it really isn't much fun. I found no mention of withdrawal in any of the books, but it would probably be severe, like alcohol withdrawal or possibly worse.

A couple of other people have tried it now. They seem to think that it is just like alcohol. The only possible side effect mentioned was by one of the users who felt depressed the next day. He mixed it with ketamine, and had a really crazy experience. He also had some bad things going on, such as a recent break up with his girl friend. It's hard to tell if the depressed feelings were primarily caused by this drug, the life situation, or the crazy ketamine experience. I'll post his little trip report in this thread if it is okay with him. I'll do the same with the other person's trip report if they give their permission.

It seems that this drug is very similar to alcohol, but with far fewer physical side effects. A couple of other people are going to be trying it. If any of them feel depressed after using I will assume that to be a side effect of the drug.

I usually feel depressed the next day if I drink more than about 6 beers or the equivalent of wine or the hard stuff. That could be because I start getting a hangover at that level.

There are a few reasons I chose to try this. #1 Because it was cheap. #2 All of the medical books I read said that it was effective and had minimal/no side effects. #3 There were some comparisons to chloral hydrate and paraldehyde. I've been interested in chloral hydrate, so that got me interested. #4 I like trying new stuff. I was curious about the effects.

I have no idea what the long term risks of use are, but I knew from the medical books that it wasn't going to kill me if I used reasonable amounts. Also, some patients used it frequently for months or longer. It should have been apparent if there was any major neurotoxicity. There is reason to suspect that it could be a carcinogen.

I still say this feels different from alcohol in a good way. Maybe it is more due to a lack of side effects than from significant differences in positive effects. I always start to feel like hell pretty quickly if I drink enough alcohol to really get good effects. That doesn't happen to me with this stuff.

The lack of side effects doesn't necessarily mean it is at all safe. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I believe this substance is safe to use. You'll probably be just fine if you limit yourself to a certain amount and never use it again, as I plan on doing. I could be wrong. I would strongly advise against long term use.

I do realize that this was an abandoned drug, not something that was just forgotten. Ethanol has also been abandoned as a medical drug, except for treating methanol poisoning. This was considered an improvement over ethanol. Some doctors of the day preferred it over chloral hydrate, I think because it isn't as easy to fatally overdose on.

Actually, 3 other people have tried it. Two of them said it was like ethanol. The other guy really seemed to be having a really good time until using the ketamine. He didn't give a comparison to ethanol one way or the other unless I overlooked it, but I'll find out and let you know how he thinks the two compare.

I accidentally overdosed on this stuff. I'm not going to bother making a new post, I'm just going to copy what I posted in the "I'm so high" thread. I guess I blacked out. I only remember taking 15ml of it, but it looks like at least 150ml of it is gone. I am leaving the spelling mistakes in the posts just to give an idea of how messed up I was. Here are the posts I made:

POST #1
The DXM trip was quite insane. I seemed to have more control over my body, but I was really out of my mind. I still knew that time seemed to move slow every time I used DXM, but I still didn't know what day it was or how long I had been in that state.

I am out of poppies. I've had a small amount of hydrocodone, the usual potentiators, and some loperamide to prevent withdrawal. I should have more poppies soon.

I have to get wasted, so I have used 13ml of 2-methyl-2-butanaol over the last 3 hours. I am fucked. I feel drunk without the sickness that I'd get from ethanol. Walking is difficult.

POST #2(I have no memory of making the second part of this post)
Drunk some more 2mwethyl2-butanol and fell off the bed. I made my mouth and knuckles bleed. I don't care. I am so fucked. I didn't feel anything bad when I felt and saw myself bleed. I will just lay in bed until I can walk without falling on my ass or another body part.

I'd be really really sick if this was ethanol that I was drinking. I think I like this stuff.

I have a cut onm my face from falling to and it is bleeding. I am not bleeding very much so it is okay. Typing is hard so I will quit.

Edit
I might have overdosed.
I don;r think I wikll die
Id I do, I Hope a certaine person sees this message becauise I owe them something. I want that person to knoe that I didn'r mean to screw them over. I can;'t help it if I die, PlEase tell them if I die. I dont think I will, but I am noit sure. I never faukl my obligatioms anf I never rip anyone off. I am not that kind of ass hole. I lefy a message for my mother to fullfull any ob.lgations if she sees the merssage. i cant see straighght. Goodbye/ I'm sorry if I have fycked up too much. I Apologize to the interface.

POST #3
I wasn't bleeding much last night. I ended up sleeping for about 20 hours and I am still really fucked up. I'm never doing that again. I pissed in a bottle because I couldn't stand up, and that bottle is busted to pieces with piss all over the floor. My glasses are gone and I don't know where they are. At least I have another pair of glasses to wear until I find the good ones. My cigarettes are also broken. I have know Idea how all of this happened. I am still wobbly on my feet and fucked in the head. I will never do this again. It has been neer
feet and it has been nearly a day since I dosed and I am still fucked up. I slept for 20 hours. I couldn't believe the time when I awoken.

POST #4
I fell and cut my knee and elbow about an hour ago. Eveything is spinning. My vision is fucked. I can barely walk. I hope I don't stay like this forever. I took 22.5mg of hydrocodone to keep from getting sick with the usual potentiatiors. That is all the typing I am going to do for now, as it is diffiicult.

POST #5
I haven't used anything today except a couple of cigarettes, but I am still fucked up. I looked at the bottle of 2-methyl-2-butanol, and it is less that half full. It was at least three fifths full before this. It is a 1 liter bottle. A normal dose is in the five to twelve milliliter range. I remember taking 15ml, not all at once. I have no idea what happened to the rest. My math and estimation abilities are fucked right now, but I am going to guess at least 150ml of the shit is missing. I assume I drunk it because I am still fucked up about 42 hours later and the stuff has a really strong smell and I didn't smell it.

This ranks up with the biggest fuck ups I've ever made, right with the time I used a huge amount of benzos, ambien, and DXM while I was too fucked up to see the danger, and maybe even the time I mixed a large dose of DXM with a large dose of ephedra and ended up in the hospital.

I just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.

POST #6

I'm almost back to normal, thank god! I don't think I've ever been so glad to not be fucked out of my scull. I did have 37.5mg of hydrocodone and the usual potentiators. I'm not going to keep listing all of those. I feel a nice warm glow, but nothing to great. I really don't want to be really high right now.

I hope that I don't feel any effects of that 2-methyl-2-butanol overdose when I wake up. I know there is still some in my system because I can feel it and taste it on my breath. I'm just glad that it didn't make me feel sick and didn't kill me. I have no idea how much it would take to kill a person.

I fell earlier and smashed my dick. It is all swollen and it burns like hell every time I pee. That was last night. I have no problem walking straight now. I shouldn't fall any more.

My mother told me that she found me in the floor lying in piss on top of a broken bottle around 8:00AM Tuesday morning, and I assume I was there all night. I somehow managed to not get cut. I have no memory of it. I think it was Tuesday morning, it might have been Monday morning. I really am not sure. I don't remember anything until I woke up around 6:00PM whatever day that was. I was fucked out of my head for I don't know how long after regaining awareness.

I don't know how all that happened. I only remember using 15ml of it. I guess that was enough to cause me to lose my memory and my ability to recognize the danger of taking more of the stuff. I guess the maximum safe dose of that substance for me is around 12ml. Going above that could cause a blackout where I could do just about anything with no awareness of my actions.

Did you have any kind of hangover? Or just pain from the bruises/cuts?

Hey guys.

A few friends introduced me to this stuff for canoe tripping a couple years ago . A lot easier carrying a cup of this for a few weeks than lugging around a gallon of whisky. I've never seen anybody messed up on it though, maximum dose for anyone I know was 10ml and even this much was rare. I've seen a few questions regarding hangovers and I have to say that we've all felt pretty fine the next day but hard to judge as you're sleeping on hard ground in a tent, sore from paddling/portaging all day, and our max dose is really only like 6 beers which wouldn't give me a hangover anyway. Never experienced any notable side effects, though we were careful and each guy would take a day or two off it every few days, and nobody I've known has ever used it when regular old ethanol is kicking around.

Basically we didn't abuse it and it preformed admirably but I can't think of any time I'd ever use it other than long/difficult hiking or canoeing trips etc. when you need a way to relax at the end of the day and to get a good nights sleep on rocks.

Hope this helps.

p.s. we did all our dosing with a 10ml syringe where you just can't go wrong
p.p.s. if you have 2-methyl-2-butanol sitting around be sure it's labeled. For our first trip we just had it in a flask and once we got back and were unpacking in the evening another friend (not on the trip) came over and without our noticing grabbed the flask and sniffed the contents before shaking it and announcing "you guys didn't even finish your schnaps." Luckily he didn't drink it and we told him what it was but had he casually slugged the remaining 2 ounces or so he would have ended up in the hospital.

Wow. Thanks for the postings. From first post to last my reactions were:

Cool.

Sounds Good.

Can't wait to Try it!

Oh, better be careful with it.

Hm... maybe there are some other things to try instead.

Christ.

Nevermind.

Though, actually, it does sound like you way overdid it. I may yet try it, because I can't seem to have even a pint anymore without a goddawful hangover. I guess you have to treat it like super-concentrated everclear.

I bought myself a 250ml bottle of 2M2B

Me and some friends had much fun the 3 weeks it lasted.
Dosage range is between 2 and 8 grams, although benders with 15+ in a night occured. It is very sedating, though, which limits it's recreational potential (well, except you have lots of MDPV=D)

Getting as pissed as possible without having to face a hangover is definately a big plus. Then again the half live is very long, especially the sedating effects last well into the next day if one took too much :)

Works brilliant for comedowns - I could do a big line of amp/peevee/whatever and go to bed two hours later.

I should also mention that I can see this substance has considerable addiction potential. Paticularly for those who aren't really fond of ethanol because of its miserable after-effects (I tend to think that alcohol addiction strongly correlates with the ability to metabolise large amounts acetaldehyde in short time)