Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

Helvetica

Surprisingly entertaining for a documentary about a font. :D

49 Up

The most recent episode of an amazing series of films that begin in 1964, tracing the lives of a group of children every seven years as they grow up.

Last edited:
The devil and daniel johnston! That movie touches me every time I see it.

Calcutta (1969)

CALCUTTA is a very unusual film in that there is no narration for about the first third of the film and even when it is given, it's only used very sparingly. It seems that director Malle chose to allow the many images of an impoverished city to speak for themselves. In fact, I also appreciated how the film did not push a clear agenda. Sure, it was there (as in any film), but often the film just seemed to be a walking tour of the city--ranging from the interesting to the unusual to the awful and disgusting. Malle did not flinch away from lepers, cremations and people living in abject squalor and considering the source material, avoiding these not so lovely images of the city would have been irresponsible and disingenuous. Additionally, I liked how the lack of narration through the film actually encourages the viewer to make their own interpretation of the film. As a result, I am sure that each viewer has a rather unique take on what the film was about as well as what they think of the future of India. An excellent film that is practically yelling out for a follow-up almost forty years later to show us how life in this crowded city has or has not changed.

i watched this one night, possibly on tcm, and i could not take my eyes off the screen. i need to see this again.

I saw it recently too, after seeing it recommended here. I thought it was completely fascinating. I probably won't watch it again, but it had atmospheric qualities that I find hard to describe. It was very immersive. Sad, startling, even funny and in the end quite uplifting. I found it to be well rounded and not at all too long.

Cocaine Cowboys. Throw your "Blow" DVD away and just watch the real thing. No epic sadness included in this one.

I actually prefer documentaries to movies nowadays. Even movies (at least loosely) based on true stories.

Planet Earth (greatest film ever PERIOD) and March Of The Penguins are also must sees.

death_of_yugoslavia.jpg

If you ever want to brush up on the Yugoslavian conflict this is the one.

Bomb It. Worldwide Graff Doc. Probably the most well made/funded existing.

Piece by Piece Good doc focusing on the San Francisco graff scene.

Style Wars From the early 80's, so you know it's good. ;) I think this one is East Coast-specific.

Dark Days Interesting doc about the homeless who live in abandoned underground subway tunnels.(I see someone mentioned this already)

Be77er Living Through Circuitry is about the electronic music/rave scene. I don't know if it can technically be called a documentary though?

The Persuaders: Frontline If you find the psychology behing advertising/marketing interesting, you'll like this.
it's a movie, but in case you like baraka, watch "the fall"
it's pretty much baraka made into a wonderful movie
The fall was badass. And baraka, I love that movie. There is a 'sequel' coming out soon!

^ "Baraka" as in the crazy (seemingly completely random) film which includes scenes of baby chickens getting their beaks burned (tagged?) and pushed down endless pipes into other baby chickens...etc (hard to explain)????

^ thanks for the suggestion, but that shit makes want to kill myself. but then again, i'm probably in the small minority of people who've tried the drug and didn't find anything great about it at all. hopefully the film prevents people from using and abusing the drug, but that shit looks way too depressing to even watch for the sake of education.

Kubrick: A Life in Pictures

it's amusing to hear shelley duval talk about shooting the shining and how awful he was.

i do-do want to see In the Shadow of the Moon. i'm gonna put it on my Neckflix now.

i recommend this if you're as intrigued with WWII and people who exacted the appropriate measures to make sure Nazis' weren't leading an unassuming life:

i-have-never-forgotten-you-the-life-and-legacy-of-simon-weisenthal-poster-0.jpg