Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Recommend a Documentary v. David Attenborough!

The bridge was pretty good

I've been meaning to check out religulous

I've been meaning to check out religulous

Watching it right now and it is off course an interesting theme, but I'm not a big fan of his approach and attitude in general. Mahler's stereotypical American behaviour and manner of thinking, is really not my cup of tea. There's always an air of superiority around him as if he wants to tell you "luckily I'm not a stupid as my interviewee". It also annoys me that he manipulates the interviews by constantly interrupting them with fragments of movies or other stuff that is somehow related to the subject of the conversation.

I just think it's a bit pretentious and cheap for someone who has apparently no idea about spirituality and who soley worships the traditional American values, to attack religion. Also the way he's trying to make fun of Jesus is very lame and pointless. And I'm not saying this because I'm into Christianity, not at all.

On the other hand this documenatary also has it's merits and I have to admit that he did a good job in ridiculizing creationism and pointing out how priests are just trying to fill their pockets.

Anyway, thanks for the tip ;)

Last edited:
motherland afghanistan

When the United States invaded Afghanistan in October of 2001, Afghan hopes were high that democracy would bring enormous progress for Afghan women in the arena of health and education. But as of 2006 one of their most fundamental rights— adequate health care—has not been met.

In MOTHERLAND AFGHANISTAN, Afghan American filmmaker Sedika Mojadidi journeys to the heart of this medical tragedy by following her father's return to Afghanistan to battle one of the highest maternal mortality rates in the world. Dr. Qudrat Mojadidi is an OB/GYN who was forced by political pressures to emigrate from Afghanistan to the U.S. in 1972. In 2003, nearly two years after the Taliban’s fall, he is invited by the U.S. government to help rehabilitate the largest women’s hospital in the country, Rabia Balkhi, now under U.S. sponsorship with a newly re-named Laura Bush Maternity Ward. He returns to his homeland with great hopes that with U.S. funding, he can help set in motion the large-scale changes necessary to stem the epidemic of maternal mortality in the country.

But when Dr. Mojadidi arrives at the Laura Bush Maternity Ward in Kabul, a city still plagued with danger and unrest, he finds deplorable conditions, with limited supplies and unsanitary facilities. As he tries to bring hope to the ward and make the best of archaic equipment and an untrained staff, the film introduces the women behind the statistics and exposes how the U.S. government's Department of Health and Human Services has impacted Afghan lives, particularly in terms of the devastating epidemic of maternal mortality.

After several months, Dr. Mojadidi leaves the hopeless conditions at Rabia Balkhi in frustration. Despite his disillusionment, he continues to search for ways to make a difference in his homeland. Two years later, he returns to Afghanistan, this time with Shuhada, an Afghan-led non-governmental organization that runs hospitals, schools and shelters in the rural Jaghori district and throughout central Afghanistan. At the Shuhada hospital, Dr. Mojadidi attempts to pass on his knowledge to the over-worked and under-trained doctors and to help the hundreds of women who have traveled days to see him. He encounters patients who will test his ability to make a difference, but also finds that despite their lack of financial and human resources, Shuhada has an encouraging vision for change based on education and prevention.

Set against the backdrop of a land in turmoil and transition, this inspiring film reveals the devastating stories behind a reproductive health crisis essentially neglected by the Western media and provides a rare glimpse into the heart of humanity through the quiet deeds of those who attempt to heal.

powerful movie that makes you grateful for what you have and angry that not everyone is treated as well in this world.

No one has mentioned Grizzly Man yet? (BL thread)

Timothy Treadwell spends 13 summers living with Alaskan brown grizzly bears, filming hundreds of hours of footage, until he is killed and partially eaten by one of this subjects. Oddly enough, the documentary ends up being less about bears and more about someone who goes soul searching in the wrong places.

I watched Earthlings last week. My life has been profoundly changed, and it's pretty rare when you can say that about a movie. Thanks to those that recommended it here. And yup, I'm a dude, and I cried, and a number of those images will always be with me.

As for the thread itself, I'd also recommend Grizzly Man.

A favorite of mine that hasn't been mentioned is Hoops Dreams, which follows the paths of two boys growing up in Chicago who have dreams of playing in the NBA.

B000C3L2NE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

americanhardcore.jpg

eta: + 1 for whoever said american movie

also, Jesus Camp is terrifying

+1 on the corporation and the devil came on horseback

adding

the adventure of english

melvyn bragg's doco series follows his book on the story behing the language we are all typing in, from its roots to its almost extinctions to its domination and many varieties. fascinating.

also

capturing the friedmans

a heart wrenching doco on the complete destruction of a family after allegations of child molestation.

Not recommended at all: "should I smoke dope?" a BBC documentary.

"Journalist" Nicky Taylor, who has apparently no knowledge about cannabis, deceides to learn all about it and comes over to A'dam...In two words: sensation and disinformation.

What bothers me the most is the total lack of criticism of this so called journalist. She starts of by smoking a prerolled coffeeshop joint (which contains mainly tobacco) and keeps on pulling claiming that she feels nothing. Then all of a sudden she feels very weird... I guess this needs no further explenation, it's just plain silly.

It does provide a valid image of the coffeeshop culture in general and she did interview some scientist too...

http://video.google.com/videosearch...sult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQqwQwAA#

^cute doco, but the idea is better than the end result. just like air guitar nation, the subject matter just really didn't interest me as much as i had hoped.

See, I really didn't identify with the subject material either (80's video game culture) but I found the movie amazing. I credit the people who made it.

the structure of the doco, and how it represents a game of dk is pretty sweet. i give it that credit for sure.

but i dunno how many people noticed it.

I thought I had posted in this thread. Guess not.

For any fans of Klaus Kinski or Werner Herzog, or for anyone thinking about watching their movies, Mein Liebster Fiend (My Best Fiend) is fascinating watch and perhaps a good introduction to their chaotic relationship. There are certainly times when you doubt Herzog's stories, believing he may be dramatising history a bit, but both his and particularly Kinski's madness are not in question.